Wēk Ss

alex ace20 rim tubeless?

Has anyone done it? How did you do it? The "shelf" is pretty large. One layer of gorilla tape didn't work for the Rocket Ron tires. Did you use more layers? Did you use Stan's kit? Did you use a split tube?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Is the benefit of this just weight? Or do you experience fewer flats? Is it mostly for pinch flats, or thorns? It seems that by throwing in a tube to get a good seal, you lose most of the weight benefit. I was out of the bike scene when tubeless came into fashion, so I haven't fully understood the reasons behind the popularity to be honest.

Wēk Ss
    I'm going for 3 things. Goathead thorn protection without the heavier sealant filled tube, lower rotating weight (although 2 layers of Gorilla tape is pretty heavy by itself), and low PSI for traction and bump compliance, taking advantage of the rider's lack of weight. I would like to get it down to 20PSI, but 25PSI may be OK. Tubes should be OK for the low PSI, but the rotating weight is higher than I want for weaker (kid) legs. I know when I went tubeless, the lack of a tube was very noticeable. It just seemed a bit more responsive to power application, startup. Since the bikes are so heavy, relative to a kid's weight, I feel any little bit helps.

Thanks for the link TwoTone, I've seen ghetto tutorials in the past. I don't have tubes yet, need to order them, but I just went ahead and added another layer of tape and sealant. It always aired up (even with 1 layer), but the bead would never stay when deflating which is what concerned me the most. I've never done a ghetto setup before, always used a BST rim where the tire bead really locks in.

Anyway, I aired it up with 2 layers of tape and the bead seemed to seal in about 10 minutes. I'll see how it holds when I let the air out to drop it down to about 20 PSI. I may put it at 25PSI and take it for a ride myself. If it holds up to my weight, my son should never be able to burp it. I'll be using my full-face and pads for this test, lol.

The tire leaks like a sieve. There are so many pinholes in the sidewall. I've spent the past day trying to seal those little holes up.

Still one more wheel and tire to convert over, waiting on the outcome of this to do that one.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    I'm going for 3 things. Goathead thorn protection without the heavier sealant filled tube, lower rotating weight (although 2 layers of Gorilla tape is pretty heavy by itself), and low PSI for traction and bump compliance, taking advantage of the rider's lack of weight. I would like to get it down to 20PSI, but 25PSI may be OK. Tubes should be OK for the low PSI, but the rotating weight is higher than I want for weaker (kid) legs. I know when I went tubeless, the lack of a tube was very noticeable. It just seemed a bit more responsive to power application, startup. Since the bikes are so heavy, relative to a kid's weight, I feel any little bit helps.

Thanks for the link TwoTone, I've seen ghetto tutorials in the past. I don't have tubes yet, need to order them, but I just went ahead and added another layer of tape and sealant. It always aired up (even with 1 layer), but the bead would never stay when deflating which is what concerned me the most. I've never done a ghetto setup before, always used a BST rim where the tire bead really locks in.

Anyway, I aired it up with 2 layers of tape and the bead seemed to seal in about 10 minutes. I'll see how it holds when I let the air out to drop it down to about 20 PSI. I may put it at 25PSI and take it for a ride myself. If it holds up to my weight, my son should never be able to burp it. I'll be using my full-face and pads for this test, lol.

The tire leaks like a sieve. There are so many pinholes in the sidewall. I've spent the past day trying to seal those little holes up.

Still one more wheel and tire to convert over, waiting on the outcome of this to do that one.
    OK, I've scoured the inter web for these rims - where are you guys finding them? I don't even see them on the Alex website. Is there anything else worth considering? TIA.

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    OK, I've scoured the inter web for these rims - where are you guys finding them? I don't even see them on the Alex website. Is there anything else worth considering? TIA.
    From ChaserTech on ebay.

It used to be on the webpage, but it seems they did a redesign and none of the older specialty youth rims are there.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks Holland, I'm coming up empty on the google search.

KONAWORLD Kona specs them on one of their bikes so they they must be around unless now OE only.