turtles make me hot

5 Year Old Son's Bike Handling

My son rides a Gary Fisher Precaliber. I take him on relatively easy, flat trails. I've noticed when I ride behind him and we reach a sandy section of the trail, his bike almost wants to swap ends. I'm not even sure how he stays on it. The rear end fishtails wildly.
    The bike has 20" wheels and a long wheelbase. The tires are from Bontrager and resemble Small Block 8s. I recently pumped up the tires to give him less rolling resistance but I think that added to the problem. I'm going to soften the rear tire since it's a hardtail.
    He doesn't seem to have his weight positioned too far forward on the bike either.
    One time, I was riding right next to him and the bike just came out from under him for no reason. MAYBE add a longer stem to slow the steering input? Anyone have any ideas?
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Does the front wheel roll smoothly? Front brake grabbing maybe?
    KHS
    Motobecane
    Fisher
    Kona

turtles make me hot
    I wish it was that simple. He never uses the brakes. I recently swapped XT vee brakes onto the bike and set them up real nice. It did it with the old brakes too. I have a good pic of him on the bike to show his position on it, but I have no idea how to post pics.
    I like turtles