mtbr member
    Apr 2012

26" wheel custom build for my daughter

After her brother had his custom build done my daughter didn't want to be left out! She is only 7.5 but is very tall for her age and was ready to step up to a 26" wheel like her older brother. She is a very competent cyclist (she riders competitively) and I knew she could handle the step up fine.

We ended up with the following:

26" wheel custom build for my daughter-cube.jpg

Frame: 2010 Cube attention comp 14"
    Fork: Rockshox SID team
    Wheels: Superstar XC430 on superstar hubs
    Tyres: Specialized The Captain s-works and control
    Brakes: Shimano Deore and Deore LX
    Discs: 160mm
    Stem: Superstar 50mm
    Bars: Truvativ
    Shifter: SLX 10 speed
    Chainset: Lasco 152mm arms triple with outer removed
    Cassette: SLX 10 speed 11-36
    Rear mech: Shimano Deore shadow
    Front mech: Shimano SLX
    Pedals: currently her brothers wellgo flats
    Seatpost: Superstar (cut down length)
    Saddle: Old islabike saddle

One criteria from my daughter was purple as a highlight colour Hence the purple chainring bolts, disc rotor bolts, seat post, stem etc. But it works!

All in weight is 25.1lb, which is OK but I was hoping for a little lighter. Her brothers rockhopper has ended up at 23.5lb now he has a front mech and shifter. But he does have wheels which are 200g lighter. The Deore shadow mech is a bit of a lump compared to the XT. But plenty of time to take off a bit of weight as she wears things out. The aim, as with her brothers bike, is to upgrade the frame as she grows and keep the bits.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Great bike!! I'm considering building a 26" for my 8yo - I really believe the 26" inch wheels will make it easier to ride over trouble but I am wondering if it will be too much to handle? He is 54" tall...how tall is your daughter? What is standover height and BB height on her bike? I am also considering an islabike Creig 26" but I think I can do lighter building it myself. Maybe I'm wrong?
    Why did you go with the Cube frame? Thanks!!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    My daughter is approx 133cm tall, but has long arms & legs. So she can size up a bit and handle it. The Cube frame also has a very short top tube so she sin't stretched out.

I went with the Cube frame as it came up on eBay! I spent a while looking for a 13" frame, and saw the 14" Cube which was very similar in size. 40 for the frame. Bargain!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by othello View Post
    My daughter is approx 133cm tall, but has long arms & legs. So she can size up a bit and handle it. The Cube frame also has a very short top tube so she sin't stretched out.
    Great looking build! Why did you decide to put her on a 26"? This appears to be a classic case of sizing up too big trying to avoid the 24" size it looks like to me. At this point it looks like her crotch is a solid 8-10cm below the top tube. But she will grow into it in a year or two!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    Great looking build! Why did you decide to put her on a 26"? This appears to be a classic case of sizing up too big trying to avoid the 24" size it looks like to me. At this point it looks like her crotch is a solid 8-10cm below the top tube. But she will grow into it in a year or two!
    She was on a 24" Hotrock A1 before, but the wheelbase, saddle height, stem height etc are an exact match to the Cube.

The angle of the photo isn't helping with the standover height, but she fits it fine. Here is her down the BMX track back in December and she has grown a little since then. I'm not trying to size up either of my children to bikes they are not suitable for.

26" wheel custom build for my daughter-cube-sizing.jpg