Thread: 24" wheels

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

24" wheels

Just built a set of 24" wheels for my youngest daughter. Was a great project as she laced up the front wheel while I laced the rear. Circus Monkey HDW3 hubs, Velocity Aeroheat rims and Mach 1 plus spokes. Not exactly light at 1582g but not that heavy either.

The new wheels drop the total bike weight below 10kg:

turtles make me hot
    Awesome. I built my son 24" wheels but they weigh a lot. I used Shimano Deore hubs and Sunringle' Rhynolite rims. I wish I had done some more research.
    How are those hubs workin' out?
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Nice looking wheels, hubs go well with the mag-21 re-paint. Did you consider trying to lace the front with 16 spokes instead of 32 to save a bit of weigt? Might not be as reliable but I would think it would hold-up fine under a kid.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Cheers guys

Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    How are those hubs workin' out?
    So far so good. The engagement mechanism looks more robust than my A2Z rear hub but even that would be fine for kids. The hubs roll really smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by GrayJay View Post
    ..Did you consider trying to lace the front with 16 spokes instead of 32 to save a bit of weigt?
    I actually did give this some consideration and I'm sure 16 spokes would have worked out fine for a light rider like my daughter. Unfortunately, the rim holes are drilled for 32h alternating, so switching to 16h would mean that every second hole is pointing (slightly) in the wrong direction. Other than that (and needing longer spokes - which are easier to get) lacing 16h to save some weight is probably a good idea.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    For a front wheel with 1/2 the spokes, you can lace opposite side spokes in two adjacent holes and then skip two holes in order to keep the nipples/spokes angled correctly.
    I am working on re-lacing a 24" wheelset that came on daughters bike with junker nutted steel freewheel hubs, switching them over to casette with hollow axel. The stock 36h alex singlewall rims are reasonably light so I am re-using them but lacing the rear wheel with just 18 spokes (6 crossed pairs on drive side, tensioned against 6 NDS radial spokes laced into the vacant drive side spoke holes, all NDS rim holes unused). To accomidate nipple/spoke offset problems for the radial NDS spokes, I just elongated the rim hole into an oval to allow the spoke to point toward NSD and will use thin washers between rim/nipple in order to spread the spoke tension over wider area of the rim. Front will be 18 spoke radial.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I had considered the "pairs" approach of skipping two holes but that leaves a fair section of rim unsupported. The Velocity rims don't have eyelets either so that makes things a little riskier with reduced spoke counts.

Your re-laced rear wheel sounds sweet. Make sure you post up some pics when its done and give us the run down on how it went together.

I really need to get myself a spoke thread roller like the Hozan. Spoke selection in shorter lengths is woeful. Being able to make your own length spokes would make things so much easier when experimenting.

PRETENDURO
    Careful with those skewers. They look a lot like the super el-cheapo anemic “AEST” ones I picked up with a set of hubs from DealExtreme.com for $40.00 several months ago for my youngest son’s 20" MTB build. My local wheelbuilder told me to scrap those things and go with at least Shimano XT skewers for safety. Not sure if you have the same skewers, but they look identical from those photos.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Skewers are light Ti versions that come with the Circus Monkey hubs. They seem to have decent clamping force. For kid and v-brake use I don't think they'll be a problem.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    GrayJay's rim hole elongation method works.
    Its hard to make out on this photo that I have on hand but every other hole on this front rim is elongated.
    This wheel is ~5 years old and had been ridden by several kids.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 24" wheels-dsc_0548.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Very nice Tig. Your hubs weigh exactly the same as the ones I picked up ( I'm currently only using the rear ) fantastic weight for the money. My son's been pounding his HDW3 dirt jumping 3 - 4 times a week with some XC & DH riding as well and no issue's so far. Also running the Ti CM Skewers front and rear with no issue's.
    Did you consider the Ace 20 rims for this build?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Good to hear the HDW3 and skewers are holding up for your son.

I really wanted the ACE20 rims but had no way to get them in Australia. Also, Alex seem to have discontinued them (they're no longer listed on the Alex website). It would be a real shame if that was the case.