mtbr member
    Aug 2004

24" wheel with freehub?

What's the most economical way to get a 24" wheel with a freehub (so I can use a cassette)? Do they come pre-built? Or is buying a cheap hub and spoke set...(~$50) the best way to go?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I'd buy a set of Trail Craft wheels. It's their house brand and they are great. If you have like 450$ you can get their super light Stan's crest wheels that are even nicer but a bit more money. Regardless, its well worth it and you can set them up tubeless easily as well. Few upgrades are as influencal as a nice light wheel upgrade.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I guess I should add a few facts. This is for a V-brake only bike. (Hotrock 24"). Also, to re-state the question, Can it be done for less than $50 which is the cost of a new hub and spokes. Those trailcraft wheels are nice but they are disc brake only. The spawn 24" wheelset is $195. $450 is more than 3x the worth of the bike. I was hoping to find a pre-built 24" wheel that uses a freehub instead of a freewheel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Most economical would be to purchase a Bitex or Novatec hub with a cassette and re-lace it into the same rim. Which is a ton of trouble and effort for minimal gain/outcome. But most economical.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Another alternative might be to find a bike MFR that makes a bike equipped with the hub configuration you seek, then reach out to one of their retailers and attempt to purchase that part as a "replacement". I'm guessing this won't be super cheap. But the hub/rim configuration comes stock on the Orbea MX 24 team. For example.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I did this on Jnrs bike when we first got it. In the uk (at least) Raleigh sell a 24” disk or rim wheel. It lasted a few weeks, then needed a rebuild and was heavy and wouldn’t seal tubeless. In our case I also wanted disk hubs but it was a waste of money as I ended up just buying some proper hubs, some Stans rims and because they were on sale some CX-ray spokes... both wheels together with disks and cassette weigh less than the front wheel.... and with 32h pretty close to indestructible with kids weights. We use the same wheels for DH in th bike park.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Yeah, if this was a nicer bike with disc brakes, I'd probably just bite the bullet and build a wheelset. The 24" Crest Rims are on closeout for $30...that's a pretty good deal. I wonder if they are discontinued.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by fastpath View Post
    Yeah, if this was a nicer bike with disc brakes, I'd probably just bite the bullet and build a wheelset. The 24" Crest Rims are on closeout for $30...that's a pretty good deal. I wonder if they are discontinued.
    $30 is a bargain!

This isn't useful* but Jnr (8) can seat his rocket rons on his crests using only a track pump (easily)...
    Its not useful because i still need to take out the valve core and help get the tire on and measure out sealant... but its quite impressive of the rim/tire combo...

The Raleigh wheel was really poor... it wasn't that expensive (GB£40) so less than $50 but it just needed nursing when it got wet etc. quite apart from it being heavy it was just unreliable.

The one thing we did have is when he moved from 20 to 24 is I wanted disk brakes ... not really for stopping but because the rim brakes needed to be adjusted so that it was a pain to take off the wheel (release the brakes or deflate the tire) and just the slightest out of true and the ride sounded horrid... especially when you get some wet mud and sand on the rims...

Equally having a cassette wasn't an option .... but the bike as bought had rim brakes and freewheel... but it was cheap and had disk mounts.

I guess the real question is where is the $$$//value balance.
    When we got his 24 he hadn't outgrown his 20 but I had "outgrown" putting in $$$ for very little value.

In your position I'd possibly be thinking do I keep this bike and spend money or get a different frame, sell this and then spend money?

As with everything on kids bikes, unless they have younger siblings its a case of how long they get to use it before they grow out.

On one end you can get a better drive chain with a cassette but its still not really realizing the potential... you'll need a chainring as well if its 10+ speed etc. and shifters and mech not to mention chain... it quickly adds up but you have to decide if its adding the value for the $$$ you put in?
    My best advice: Look at everything together .. include the limitations and the total cost and then what value...

The problem with 24 seems to be the decent hubs tend to be disk though no harm except the extra weight if they are used with rim brakes ... light but good rims tend to be disk only and there are plenty of heavy good rims designed for DJ bikes...

A2Z disk adapter is another possible way?
    as others have said try and get a "replacement" from a manufacturer
    Just buy the hub (your question) and get the current rim built on is also perfectly viable... though I'd say at least get a decent hub if you live anywhere it rains.

I don't know your climate but at least for us I wanted a hub that doesn't seize up when it gets wet a few times... so one option is just to get a decent hub...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I ended up ordering a set of deore centerlock hubs for < $30.
    Even though it's a vbrake only frame, I can maybe use the hubs later.
    My goals were to reduce weight with the cassette vs freewheel and QR vs bolt on axle and gain a 36t lower gear with the 11-36 9-speed cassette. Maybe slightly better shifting since the cogs are ramped on the cassette.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fastpath View Post
    The 24" Crest Rims are on closeout for $30...that's a pretty good deal. I wonder if they are discontinued.
    I'd bet they're discontinuing the old model Crest in favor of the Mk3.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Feldybikes View Post
    I'd bet they're discontinuing the old model Crest in favor of the Mk3.
    I wonder where can you still find original Crest for $30.00. The MK3 Crest has been out for at least 18 months, if not longer so the V1 has been long discontinued. I wonder if someone just has "New" old stock of the Crest original somewhere, or if Stans found a box hidden in the back corner of the warehouse.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Sorry...you were replying to the previous post...the $30 crest are only in 24 holes now unfortunately. Harder to find hubs for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Feldybikes View Post