rebmem rbtm

24" Wheel bike completed

Finally finished collecting parts and building the bike.
    Happy with the way it came out.

There are some opportunities to shed some weight but 21.6 pounds with a full set of gears and a suspension fork is not too bad.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 24" Wheel bike completed-rocky-mtn-soul-24.jpg  

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    How old are you?
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

MTBR member-at-large
    Sweet ride! I'm in the process of doing the same for my 10 yr old, how about posting some specs?
    Better at pedaling than typing

rebmem rbtm

Parts and Weights

Part Description Weight (grams) Weight (pounds)
    Fork RST F1RST Air 24 1555 3.43
    Frame Rocky Mountain Soul 24 1552 3.43
    Tires Schwalbe Rocket Ron 24 X 2.1 900 1.99
    Rims Alex Ace 20 814 1.8
    Cranks Truvativ IsoFlo 140mm 665 1.47
    Spokes & Nipples Wheelsmith Spokes, Alu Nips 418 .92
    Brakes Forte Team F Avid Single Digit 7 R 380 .84
    Derailleurs Shimano M950 317 .7
    Chain Shimano XTR 275 .61
    Rear Hub Shimano XTR M970 274 .6
    Tubes Intense Race Lite Tubes 234 .52
    Seatpost Kalloy 7005 240 .53
    Cassette Shimano M950 8 Speed 12-32 230 .51
    Cables, Housing Shimano 225 .5
    Pedals Welgo 210 .46
    Saddle Specialized Kids 204 .45
    Shifters Sram Attack 8 Speed 196 .43
    Brake Levers Forte Team 187 .41
    Bottom Bracket FSA Square Taper 73X110 250 .55
    Handlebar Easton Monkeylite SL 155 .34
    Front Hub Shimano XTR M970 139 .31
    Headset Cane Creek 110 130 .29
    Stem Exotic 60mm 110 .24
    Skewers Salsa Ti 84 .19
    Grips Grabon Foam Cut Down 25 .06
    Seatpost Clamp Twenty6 Clamp 18 .04
    Sum Weights 9787 21.6

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by alex_sdca View Post
    Finally finished collecting parts and building the bike.
    Happy with the way it came out.

There are some opportunities to shed some weight but 21.6 pounds with a full set of gears and a suspension fork is not too bad.

I love it! How old is your son (daughter?)? And if you don't mind, do you have an idea how much $ it ran you?

rebmem rbtm
    My kids are 9, 7 and 5 years old and petite. It fits the 9 year old well as she is about 51 inches.

Height and ability are better factors for what size bike you need. Not age.

I try not to push my kids to the next size too early. Though bigger wheels roll faster most people feel more comfortable in technical terrain on a smaller size frame.

Column D of the spreadsheet above is cost and not shown, lol. I do my best to track the weight and cost of every item even if it comes from the parts bin. It didn't get there by magic and at one point had a cost. I bought the frame almost two years ago after I began reading this forum and slowly collected parts over time as I found good deals. Having said that it would be cheaper to buy a new bike from the LBS and make a few smart upgrades.

This bike should see over 5 years of continuous use with me before I give it to my brother for his boy. That much love and the good times that go with it really have no price.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Love it! Good looking bike. My 10yr old son's 24" Haro far out weighs my 29ers. Close to 30lbs! I'm finally finished collecting all the parts to start building hima 26" Sette Reken.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    What would you do for a first, biggest bang for the buck upgrade? My son's 24" HotRock 7-speed is all stock, could use a diet, as well as some upgrades, but I don't know how long he will end up riding it before he outgrows it, and don't want to toss too much money away if he moves up pretty soon.

mtbr member
    Tires! Kenda Small Block 8, 24x1.95, can be found for less than $30 each. They weigh <450 grams each. The stock Bontrager tires on my son's 24-inch bike weighed over 800 grams each! Total weight loss was almost two pounds, for less than $60.

rebmem rbtm
    Thanks for the positive replies.

More Pics

I think Joe is right, tires are usually a good place to save weight no matter what size bike.

Here in So Cal we have a very active craigs list and a couple of big swapmeets every year so finding carbon bars, seatposts and such can be done at a savings. If you have those resources use them.

The welgo wr-1 pedals with skateboard grip tape idea I stole from a member here work really well and even with the steel spindles can save half a pound over stock pedals - 28 bucks. Too small for adult feet but my kids like 'em.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Biggest bang/buck re: weight

At first I was a believer in the 2x_ setup, but eventually decided that ditching the front derailleur and shifter was free weight (n/a for your hotrock GauchoGreg). I also started looking for decent components like seatposts and handlebars that can be re-used on their future bikes.

By far though, I think my best move was searching early and often--I got a great deal on Scott scale rc 24(22.5lbs!), and a sweet hot rock 24 that a fellow mtbrer passed on for a great price. I still have the urge to upgrade, but I think my wallet is much better off for having picked up bikes so close to what I wanted.
    Last edited by Vxc961; 08-02-2013 at 08:07 AM.

mtbr member
    Very nice!

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Nice building a weight weenie bike for the kids. Good looking out, dad!
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Very nice! Where were you able to get the RST fork?

rebmem rbtm
    From the German website listed on page 5 of the RST F1rst Air 24" thread started by Asmodeus2112.

Took a week and a half to arrive.

Havok
    Holy Crap! Awesome job. That bike looks sweet!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Hi,

I would like to build an ultra-light bike (~ 21 lbs = 9.5 kg) with wheels 24" and an air-oil fork (like the bike of this thread), with a final price not more than 900$, the target price is 500$.

Where the mentioned accessories have been bought?
    Why the frame Rocky Mountain Soul has been chosen? Is there a lighter carbon frame with similar price?

Is there a bike which can be taken as a base in order to change only some of details?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by chuvag View Post
    Hi,

I would like to build an ultra-light bike (~ 21 lbs = 9.5 kg) with wheels 24" and an air-oil fork (like the bike of this thread), with a final price not more than 900$, the target price is 500$.

Why the frame Rocky Mountain Soul has been chosen? Is there a lighter carbon frame with similar price?

Is there a bike which can be taken as a base in order to change only some of details?
    Good luck, I don't think it will happen for $500. $900 is feasible.

You found this old thread, keep searching a ton of posts on here with builds.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Good luck, I don't think it will happen for $500. $900 is feasible.
    It can be done if you source can source most of the parts used/swapmeet/co-op, just takes time. I built my daughter a 20.0 pound Trek 220 (24") that only cost me $250. Trek MT220 24" mod build
    I dont know of a carbon 24" frame available but a XS 26" frame can be used if you think that CF is a must have. There are plenty of decent aluminum 24" frames available on used bikes that are competitive on weight and will cost you much less $. Probably more important that the frame, key areas to pay attention to for building a 20 pound kid bike include lightweight tires, handbuilt low-spoke count wheels, alloy cassette body hub, alloy carrier cassette, lightweight bottom bracket, 1x crankset and using V-brakes instead of disks. Fork selection is also a big oppertunity for weight and cost savings compared to buying a spinner air, see the sub 1300gr manitou fork I shortened at;
    24" air fork

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hi,

Yeah good luck, a good light wheelset alone will cost you $500. No carbon frames in 24" that I am aware of, and the reason 24" alloy frames are so heavy is they have to pass the same EN testing standards a 26",650b, or 29" adult bike does.

The OP here I assume had most parts as take-off older XTR and other bits, but he paid for them at some point and it is not like he only spent $900 total. I would assume he's got $1500-$2000 into the bike all said and done, not to mention his total time whatever that is worth!

rebmem rbtm
    Hi,

Read the post above by GrayJay carefully, I cannot give you any better advice than what is there already. As he says, I would recomend starting with a used bike purchased locally (to you) and making some smart modifications.

I sort of fell into this one because two years before any of my kids would be ready for this bike, I saw the frame on ebay and bought it. The frame with shipping was $130 dollars. I have a lot of 8 speed XTR parts in the parts bin so that drove the drive train choices. The frame could support disc brakes but I knew v-brakes would be fine for my 55 pound daughter and be lighter. A year later I still feel that was a good choice.

All my other kids ride Hotrocks that I buy used and change out parts as I want with ideas taken from other forum members, as recommended by TwoTone.

As an update to this bike, I recently built up an xtra small Specialzed Hardrock (13" frame) for a cousin who is 5'0" tall. My daughter rode it and though she is a little too small for it, loved the speed of the bigger wheels and now does not want to ride the 24" wheel bike. So I barely got a year out of this for the first child, lol. It is now being ridden by my middle child. I wouldn't change a thing, we've had a lot of fun on this with more to come but if you only have one kid, they grow fast so watch your costs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Taking what alex above said about his daughter and then compare it to my son and it will show that no one is going to be able to tell you what your kid will like.

My son is learning to bunny hop, trying to manual and jumping. Before my daughter had to step up to her 24, they would switch regularly. She wasn't into the tricks like he was and liked the bigger bike, he loved getting back on a 20 inch for tricks.

I ended up with a medium Cannondale race 24 for here and even though it's a 24, my son noticed it felt bigger than his 24 and it is. So even at a young age, kids can notice the differences- I don't think enough parents give their kids credit and assume they won't notice things.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Hi,

I think your budget is far too low to make a 21lb bike.

The fork mentioned is $208 without delivery and tax although there are cheaper air forks for kids see here - pretty much all components for a 26 will fit a 24 other than wheels and pretty much most forks so you can go second hand to get lighter bits or if you have bits and bobs in your garage.

Depending on the bike, tyres and going tubeless can shift a lot of weight and doesn't cost too much. My son's bike started out around 27.5lb and I got it down under 23lb with choice purchases. I could have gone lighter but I have to draw the line between cost, strength and worth.

Lewis's carrera blast