mtbr member
    Oct 2013

24" tubeless/UST tires

Building a new ZTR wheelset for the boys bike. Anyone know or recommend 24" UST/tubeless specific tire... wider the better, since this will be for DH/park riding.

I believe schwalbe rocket ron 24" tires are, but I would prefer something wider than 2.1.

thanks,
    DC

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    the tocket rons are not tubeless ready but wil go up. there are wider 2.4 big betty's if you can find them but again not tubeless ready,

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I've had Rocket Ron's, Moe Joes and Continental Explorers in 24" work tubeless, but they are not UST tyres. For DH / park riding with a wide casing you may have to look for some NOS 24" DH tyres (Specialized in particular). Most of these were rear-specific tread but reversed on the front should work OK.

Other than that, POAH's suggestion of the Big Betty is spot on. I think Halo also still make some 24" DH tyres that are huge (but crazy heavy).

How much does your kid weigh? You might find the Rocket Rons in 2.1 will do the business even for DH/park.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    thanks for info, I have set of kenda Nevegal 24"x2.5" and .243 24x2.6 tires... will see how well they seal. I am trying to lighten the bike for trail riding too, will probably invest in some Rocket Rons.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    For what is is worth, I just sealed up some Rocket Rons for my son's 24 bike as tubeless. Sealed up fine, and have more tread than I had initially feared. Very very light too at 430g or something close

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfpoodi View Post
    For what is is worth, I just sealed up some Rocket Rons for my son's 24 bike as tubeless. Sealed up fine, and have more tread than I had initially feared. Very very light too at 430g or something close
    How did you manage to seal non-tubeless tyres? Thanks
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dusoo View Post
    How did you manage to seal non-tubeless tyres? Thanks
    Thanks
    gorilla tape on the rims and stans sealant for me.

on Crest rims, rocket rons, Hutchinson toro and kenda kinetics all snap on to the rim. none of these tyres are tubeless ready.