mtbr member
    Sep 2011

24" tires for Northstar

Looking for 24" tires to put on my son's new XS Juliana for Northstar trips this summer. Currently running SM8 in rear and Rocket Ron up front.

Don't want to spend too much on the tires, as they will probably only be used few times this summer before we switch to 26" wheels.

I notice these Duro 2.35 tires on EBay, which look suspiciously like the old Arrow Launch. Can't beat the price, but not sure if they are just junk or....

Duro 24 X2 35 Mountain MTB Bike Pair Tires Black 2 Tires | eBay

Otherwise I've seen some cheap old Fire 2.4" FR, which could work as a front tire but are probably overkill for a 7 year old.

Other ideas that are under $50 folks might suggest?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    It's been a while since I've been to Northstar but from what I remember it was loamy and loose, typical Tahoe type ground. I would think a bigger lugged tire would work best to dig through the loose top layer. If Panaracer makes a Fire XC in 24", I
    think this would be the perfect tire for the terrain. Let us know what you try out and how it works.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I don't know the terrain you are running so forgive me if I am off on my suggestion. I recently ordered a set of Bontraeger XR1 COMPS for my kids bike. At 554g, they are not as light as the Rocket Rons but they are only about $25 each. Be sure to get the comps and not the regular XR1.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I guess I should have noted conditions at Northstar up front..... Lift accessed DH riding on loose terrain. Definitely the land of big tires and full face helmets.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I found a line on pair of foldable Kenda Kenetics in 2.3". Seemed like the best option given all the factors. Too bad they don't seem to sell them aftermarket.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    If your just going DH, how about Maxxis High Roller or Kenda Nevagal. The tires weigh around 1200g/ea though. Great if you need a flywheel effect...

With your current options out there, I like the Fire FR downhill tire @790g. I don't think a small knobbed tire (SB8) will work well in the softer soil.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by stom_m3 View Post
    If your just going DH, how about Maxxis High Roller or Kenda Nevagal. The tires weigh around 1200g/ea though. Great if you need a flywheel effect...

With your current options out there, I like the Fire FR downhill tire @790g. I don't think a small knobbed tire (SB8) will work well in the softer soil.
    I was concerned with the size of the High Roller and Nevagal, as the ACE20 rims are pretty narrow. That and since the tires weren't going to be used much, just couldn't bring myself to spend the $40-50 each.

I think the Fire FR might have been good. But in the end, I think the Kinetics in 2.3" front and rear are the best bet.... at least I hope so since I already ordered them!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by stom_m3 View Post

Also, I should add, I wasn't sure the 2.5" tires would fit in the Juliana frame, or the XC fork...