mtbr member
    Dec 2003

24" Schwalbe Measurement

Recently one of the Kenda SB8 tires on my son's hardrock got slashed by some glass. In looking for a new one, I came to discovery that Schwalbe now as a Rocket Ron in 24 x 2.10 (same size as the Kenda SB8). The Rocket Ron is a slightly more aggressive tire than the SB8 but also much lighter. I decided to order one and give it a go.

The good news is that the Schwalbe is actually close to its claimed weight. They say 445 grams, my scale 452 grams. This is a marked decrease from the 620 grams of the SB8 tires.

The bad news is these run smaller than their stated size. The Kenda's are spot on at 2.1 (51 mm). The Schwalbe comes in at 49mm. They are also considerably shorter, so a considerable loss in volume. Both measurements were taken on a Sun-Ringle Ryno rim (24.5 mm internal width).

I hope this helps anyone considering between these two tires.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

XC Hack
    Dec 2011
    Thanks, 24 RRs are off my list now. I'm looking at the Maxxis Snypers 24 x 2.0 for mostly hardpack, some loose gravel/rocks here and there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fongster View Post
    Thanks, 24 RRs are off my list now. I'm looking at the Maxxis Snypers 24 x 2.0 for mostly hardpack, some loose gravel/rocks here and there.
    Just curious, the volume is that much more important than weight? That Maxxis weighs 1/2 pound more.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

XC Hack
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Just curious, the volume is that much more important than weight? That Maxxis weighs 1/2 pound more.
    They might weigh more--didn't really compare but my kid won't feel the diff. I am concerned about tread area contact though so I want width and volume. I'll run them at only 18-20 psi for more cush and a fatter contact.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    They might weigh more--didn't really compare but my kid won't feel the diff. I am concerned about tread area contact though so I want width and volume. I'll run them at only 18-20 psi for more cush and a fatter contact.
    That's your call but I seriously think any kid is going to notice 1lb of rotating weight taken off the bike.
    Second if the 2.1 RR measure a little small, there's a good chance it ends up the same size as the 2.0 Maxxis or larger if the Maxxis measures smaller.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Where can I order the Rocket Ron's from?

Nevermind - found them on Ebay - thanks
    2013 Rocky Mountain Altitude 730
    2013 Pipedream Sirius R853 - 650b Belt Drive

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The Small Block 8 are a downright scary tread design - especially for a kid. I had a set and tried to make them work but it was like riding on ball bearings. Craigslisted them after a few rides. Not sure if the 24" has different tread but the Rocket Rons have been great on my sons bike and I saved over 1 pound over stock tires. It transformed his climbing ability. 1 pound of rotational weight reduced on a 25 pound bike and 60 pound kid is substantial.

mtbr member
    ^^^The reason for my purchase of two Rocket Rons. Thanks for the input
    2013 Rocky Mountain Altitude 730
    2013 Pipedream Sirius R853 - 650b Belt Drive

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    ?..I am concerned about tread area contact though so I want width and volume. I'll run them at only 18-20 psi for more cush and a fatter contact.
    The contact patch area will be the same for any tyre ran at the same pressure. Volume loss only becomes an issue if you are running pressures so low that your kid is damaging the rim. Then a higher volume tyre at the same psi will help avoid rim strikes. I really like the Schwalbe Moe Joes. Expensive but they have lasted a long time and were easy to setup tubeless.