mtbr member
    Aug 2009

24" restoration Q's

Hey all, a couple general questions about fixing up a 24" bike for my son. I bought a Trek MT 220 off Craigslist for very cheap, because it needs some work. I'm not trying to build a racer here just a reliable bike. It needs to last 3-4 years - I have two boys and it'll be handed down to the younger boy later on.

So, I'm wondering if the derailleur and drive from 26" equipment will fit on the 24" or do I need to be looking for different sized parts.

Just to begin I'll be looking a new shifters, cables, tubes, brake pads and pedals. The cranks and tires look fine. I have not looked inside the crankset or BB yet, if that ends up being replaced is that the standard 26" equipment too? Recommendations for specific parts would be great!

Can't wait to get him on the trail on the new bike! They'll have matching Trek's for a couple years. The old MT-60 is going strong.

G.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Components (except for tires & tubes of course) are laregely interchangeable between 24" and 26" bikes. Cranks from a 26" bike however are likely too long for a good fit to a rider on a 24" bike, at that stage they should probably be on cranks around 140mm-160mm long.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Looking through the current mt220 specs, it has a steel seatpost and I would guesse that the stem and handlebars are likely steel too, easy place to start lightening with aluminum replacements.

THe 7-speed freewheel hub likely indicates that it has 130mm rear dropout spacing, note that 135mm rear MTB hubs will not easily fit but you can use road bike 130mm hubs if you decide to upgrade the rear wheel.