mtbr member
    Nov 2013

24" MTB Limited Selection

Hi there, I have found this site a few weeks ago while researching some bikes for my kids and so far I am impressed with the amount of information provided. I am looking for some advice.

After many hours of reading I thought I had narrowed down the bikes for my 7 year old very tall daughter. I put together a list of bikes based on threads here and headed off to the only bike store in my small town ready to get some pricing. Unfortunately they basically only offer two makes. Giant and Norco.

The preferred list I had was:

Cannondale 24"
    Specialized Hotrock 24" 7-speed
    Novara Moxie 24"
    Marin Bayview 24"
    Jamis X.24
    GT Laguna 24"

Local Bike Store has:

Giant Areva 24
    Giant Revel Jr. 24
    Giant XTC Jr. 24
    Norco Igniter 24"
    Norco Diva 24"

My question is should I just select one of the ones available here or try to order online. The next door that offers much more selection is over 2hr drive away.

We do mostly path and groomed trail biking. She has no experience with gears yet. She is moving up from her brother's Miele 16" (yes, I know I have procrastinated on getting her a bike...)

Any advice would be helpful, thank you.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Probably not a huge difference among brands for the bikes available at a given price-point. Benefit of buying local is that you can have your kid test-ride several, see what actually works best for her. Make sure the fit is good and that she can operate the shifters and brakes easily. Your local options for Giant brand bikes look to be to be a bit better than those from Norco. If you are not planning on rugged trail riding, the Revel with a rigid fork is probably a better option than paying slightly more for a barely functional suspension fork that will add significant weight.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Yeah, I would prefer to purchase from the LBS and I like the fact the Revel has a ridgid fork and V brake system as I would prefer the bike be as light as possible for her. I just wanted some insight on these models from more experienced people before I pulled the trigger on it. Thanks for the reply.