mtbr member
    Jun 2013

24" HT or SMALL 26" HT

Hi guys - my soon-to-be 8yo is going to move up from her hotrock 20" to a real bike this summer.

Was talking with a former bike shop owner with two daughters and he said he took them both from 20s to 26s "because even the best 24s were really just heavy garbage with marginal components zero upgrade ability and 26s were fully customizable for their weight and growth".

And heavy these 24s are - 27-31lbs for teh highest-end ones with disc brakes (etc). I figure I can buy a cherry X-Small 26" HT already built to 25/26lbs for the same price of a new 24" no problem.

Anyone grapple with this decision? Fit is fit - she comfortably handles a 24" now (and fits it really well - it *is* the optimal size at present - but has anyone moved straight to 26" in a really small women's frame?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Withdrawing - finally got my search mojo working this morning and got all kinds of info at other threads here. Thanks all!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I had the same dilemma - you probably found my thread. My soon to be 8 year old is now riding a Specialized Hotrock 24. It will be at least a year/18 months before I even think about a 26"

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Makakio View Post
    Was talking with a former bike shop owner "because even the best 24s were really just heavy garbage with marginal components zero upgrade ability and 26s were fully customizable for their weight and growth".
    The only part of a 24" bike that is particularly hard to upgrade is the suspension forks. There are certainly good quality lightweight 24" frames available an nothing beyond the rims, tires and fork are proprietary to a 24" bike. If you are willing to buy a used bike, remove all the junky parts from the frame and then do some component selection, procurement and wrenching yourself then it is quite possible to build a lightweight 24" bike with good fit for this age.
    For instance, check out the 20 pound, 24" trek I built for around $250 for my daughter; Trek MT220 24" mod build

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayJay View Post
    The only part of a 24" bike that is particularly hard to upgrade is the suspension forks. There are certainly good quality lightweight 24" frames available an nothing beyond the rims, tires and fork are proprietary to a 24" bike. If you are willing to buy a used bike, remove all the junky parts from the frame and then do some component selection, procurement and wrenching yourself then it is quite possible to build a lightweight 24" bike with good fit for this age.
    For instance, check out the 20 pound, 24" trek I built for around $250 for my daughter; Trek MT220 24" mod build

Cannondale Race 24- wish they were out when I bought my son his. Just bought one for my daughter- $500 with an air fork.

the 24 or xs26 depends on your childs size and the riding you plan on doing. Could my son ride a 26er, yes- on pavement. We just took a ride today where he was trying to get up on a downed tree that had ramps built up on either side- that I can say he wouldn't be doing on a 26XS.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    If you want a nice 24", the new Spawn 24" will be really nice but expensive. I'd probably go for a Liv/Giant women specific frame in XXS. If she is over 4'8" take a hard look at the women specific frames, you could potentially run 24" tires to lower the standover height.