mtbr member
    Feb 2010

24" air/oil sub 1500g kids fork

Take an old Mag21, give it a service, make some brackets to drop the brake bosses 25mm, put it back together, tweak oil levels and air pressure and the result is another smiling little MTB face on the single track.

Highlights are 599g lighter than the Suntour SR it replaces, 10mm more stand-over height, 5mm more travel and actually tunable for a 35kg rider.

Details on what I did here.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Nino did that a few months ago using another fork, check the weight weenie forum. His son has a weenie light 24" scott. ProForx offered 20" and 24" BMX sized versions of their suspension forks. The brace mounts were the same on all their forks so the brace from the 26" fork mounted on the 20 or 24" gave you the brake studs in the right spots for the respective wheel sizes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Good job, where can I buy the brackets?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Cheers. I made the brackets up. Good little project to do with the kids. If you check out my write up I decided to do it all with hand tools as a kids educational exercise.

DeeEight - I checked out Nino's version. He used a Mavic adapter which I couldn't get hold of easily in Australia. It also adds a lot more weight than the brackets I made up, but if you're converting a fork without a bolt-on arch then I'd go with the Mavic adapter as well (I'd probably just machine up my own version)

Birdman aka JMJ
    Awesome! Perfect fork for it too. Great job.

JMJ

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Just a little update. Apparently girls like things colour coordinated. Anyway, good excuse for a little spraypainting 101 class. We also redid the stickers and tweaked the colours for a better match with the bike.

mtbr member
    Nice!

Better not let my daughter see this as she's on a "I need suspension forks!" kick.

Former Bike Wrench
    I couldn't think of a better, more tuneable, lightweight fork than a Mag 21 for a kids bike. An SL would just be the bees knees!

Very nice!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

What about if your kid's bike has disks

I've been looking at old rockshocks sids on ebay. The A to C is a little longer. How did you handle that?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    The 24" fork that the bike came with (a Suntour SR) actually had an A to C about 15mm longer than the Mag21, so fitting the 26" fork actually dropped the front down a little bit. Now that I know the fork works well I'll probably open it up at the next oil change and modify it for slightly longer travel which should get the A to C exactly where it was with the original fork. I suspect that the Suntour SR that came with the bike is just a 26" model with the brace/brake bosses welded 1" lower. That' why the A to C is comparatively high.