Thread: From 24" to 26?

mtbr member

From 24" to 26?

My son enjoys riding with me. I encourage him to ride with me every chance I get. Heck, I encourage my whole family to ride with me. But let's focus on my son for a minute. He's about out grown his 24" bike. He's been occasionally hi-jacking my wife's small size 29er around the house - yard I mean, I don't let him ride in the house - but it's really too much bike for him. In fact, he rode a small frame 26er at the LBS and said that bike felt much better than either his bike or his mom's bike. Unfortunately, it seems like unless a bike is an all mountain or down hill bike, you can't really find a decent 26 anymore, most of the components are lower end, coil suspension, things like that.

Realizing this will likely be the last bike I buy my son, I want it to be one that he can utilize effectively for some time. It needs to fit him, but I'm thinking maybe it has good enough components that it's worth while for him buy a larger frame and move components over to that when he out grows this one - which he will, because he'll end up around my size (6'3") according to all the growth charts. My question is, who still makes a 26 inch wheeled cross country or trail bike with a small frame that has a good air sprung shock, and decent (not top of the line - he IS still a kid) components that he could swap up to another frame when he needs to? I'm open to suggestions...

turtles make me hot
    My son is currently on a 24" bike and will shortly be on a 26er.
    Like your son, mine is going to be a monster and is growing fast. My plan is going to be to build a 26er hardtail for him using real good parts... Hope hubs, Stans rims, an Ebay air fork...
    I'll start with a small Sette Razzo frame and when he outgrows that, step up to a larger size until the frame to wheel ratio starts looking too big and then I'll step him up to a 29er which will probably be when he's 13 or 14 if he's anything like I was at that age.
    I've hand assembled his last two bikes because everything in the stores for kids is HEAVY.
    I like turtles

mtbr member

From 24" to 26?

I just upgraded my 10yr daughter from a 24" hotrock a1 to a Myka expert 26" xs frame has almost as much stand over as the 24". I found an amazing deal on a new in box Reba RL air fork on eBay.

Bike weights 26.8lbs now & I can add lighter parts as she goes.

figure she's set for a long time on that bike.

mtbr member
    You guys are kind of saying what I'm thinking. Thanks for the replies.

mtbr member
    There are TONS of 26" bikes for sale, and if you get that needs a bit of work, what a PERFECT father/son project ! I found a Schwinn Moab Alum. frame, Judy fork and stem/bars next to a dumpster behind a bike shop years ago and had to pick it up. Hung in my garage since then, now daughter is about outgrown her Marin 24, so we are building it together. It won't be AM or FS even but it will be light and rim brakes will work fine here, the Judy is really soft but that suits her light body weight perfectly.

mtbr member
    My son still has some time left on his 24, but I already find myself watching for deals on eBay and Craigslist, etc. for a 26er. I've also been thinking about something like this:

Mountain Bikes - MTB - Dawes Haymaker 1500

Comes in 13" and 15", has a Rockshox Dart fork and Deore derailers, and at least already has disc-ready hubs, so I could switch it to BB7s pretty easily if I felt it was needed.
    I ride at night - see my tips for Night Cycling
    My Blog: Cycling For Beginners

mtbr member
    Oh, you might also want to check out the Ibex 550, it has the Dart 3 and already has BB7s -- and shows as on sale now at $579:
    http://www.ibexbikes.com/products/in...?product_key=1

And for another $200 here's another one to consider:
    Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - 2010 Motobecane Fantom Trail
    Last edited by BeginnerCycling; 03-29-2013 at 10:33 PM.
    I ride at night - see my tips for Night Cycling
    My Blog: Cycling For Beginners