Cujo 20" Plus Bike - $440
    Spawn 127mm Cranks - $65
    Shimano 395 Hydro Brakes - $70
    Shimano UN55 BB - $20
    Stans Schrader Tubeless Valves - $16
    Sram X9 10 speed - $0 (Old takeoffs)
    ESI Grips - $0 (Old takeoffs)

21.5 lbs on the scale with pedals

I originally planned to build up a Gary Fisher 20" for my son that is real similar to a Trek Pre-caliber. I was going to do the Suntour 20" air fork, spawn tubeless wheels / tires, plus the other upgrades I did here, but a few things pushed me in this direction. The cost was nearly the same and the GF was going to be heavier, but the biggest factor was watching big sister ride a 24" Plus Specialized RipRock and roll right over roots on a few uphills that were hanging him up on the Gary Fisher. The plus tires swallowed up the roots for her at slow speed and stopped him dead in his tracks.

One thing pretty cool is the Cannondale comes with a 7speed Freehub which let me upgrade the drivetrain without swapping a hub. You can fit 9 of the cogs from a 10 speed setup and adjust the limits to work fine.

In my opinion the Shimano hydros are a no brainer upgrade and the new BB was a recommendation from the shop that I never considered about but for 20 bucks seemed like a good call. Wheels setup tubeless no problem and we are running them at 10 psi. I cut the chewed up end off my grips and put them on the kids' bike and they all like the little bit of extra cushion from the ESI's

First ride we knocked out 5 miles of trail in 45 min and he noticed immediately he could ride up things he couldn't before. Downhill he never had much issue before since the speed was there and he just bounced right over everything.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Cool build, my son will probably be getting one soon. I think the only change I will make off the bat is trigger shifter and tubeless. How did the wheels and tires set up?

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    The bike shop was excited to trick this one out so they did the setup for me. He said they worked great and they were still holding 10 psi 5 days later.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Does your son or daughter have any trouble riding the plus size tires uphill. I can see where the would definitely benefit downhill. I have a seven year old boy and girl and looking at either upgrading their 20” bikes they have now buying them a new 20” plus. Seems you got the weight down pretty good. They both have Haro flightline 20s and weigh about 23.5 each. I figure they could get 2 more years out of a plus size bike and if it gives them confidence it would be worth it. Nice build by the way!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I have found the plus tires improved the uphill riding for us because they were getting hung up on roots more than inability to pedal. The plus size gives a little bigger rollover and the low pressure tires seem to swallow up the bumps more than bounce back and stop them in their tracks.

That being said, we don't have mile long climbs. These are short, moderately steep 30-100ft elevation changes.

My kid is 7 yrs old riding this, but also pretty short. His sisters were on 24's or about ready at that age.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Looks awesome.

Do you remember what size the BB was?

-bustin punks
    Just fondled one of these in the LBS. WHY WHY WHY do they (anybody) continue to spec those horrible Shimano Revo twisters? They are tough for me to twist, never mind my 8-9 year old. The display window is also terribly small. I can see that going wrong in so many ways.

Otherwise the bike seems really solid. No stupid boat anchor suspension fork or needlessly complicated front derailleur. Seriously tempted.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Still happy with ours. I actually went back to the 110mm stock cranks. Pedal clearance is an issue with the longer 127 spawn cranks on this bike. Down to about 6-7PSI in the tires as well.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I picked one up for my son about a month ago. I switched out the grip shift as soon as we got home. I put an old 8 speed trigger shifter (index is the same as 7 speed)on it and he took to it right away. He loves the bike and is progressing in ability really quickly. My only complaint is that the brakes work so well I will be looking for a new back tire soon

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelshot View Post
    Does your son or daughter have any trouble riding the plus size tires uphill. I can see where the would definitely benefit downhill. I have a seven year old boy and girl and looking at either upgrading their 20” bikes they have now buying them a new 20” plus. Seems you got the weight down pretty good. They both have Haro flightline 20s and weigh about 23.5 each. I figure they could get 2 more years out of a plus size bike and if it gives them confidence it would be worth it. Nice build by the way!!
    My girls also liked the plus tires, both up and downhill. We have the Riprock (first 20 and now 24) and both sizes the Specialized Rolller 2.8 tires set up tubeless easy. They are also quite light tires, even compared to many “normal” size tires.
    You can buy the Specialize Roller 2.8 or Kendra Slant Six 2.6 aftermarket, which my friend did, and fit them on his kids regular bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by fatchanceti View Post
    JWHY WHY WHY do they (anybody) continue to spec those horrible Shimano Revo twisters? They are tough for me to twist, never mind my 8-9 year old.
    That's funny, I find the Shimano RevoShift twisters to be quite easy to turn as did my daughter. She greatly preferred them to trigger shifters. Many 8 year olds do not have the thumb strength (or reach) to use your average Shimano 7/8 speed triggers. I find good twist shifters to be a good choice for kids' bikes.

I've found the RevoShift to be the easiest to turn of the various other offerings from SRAM, MicroShift, no-name brand, etc...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvzLOt1599U makes a good point in that the older Shimano triggers (ie, those for 7/8 speed that would be used on kids' bikes) require you to move your index finger off the brake to up-shift. Some kids I've seen don't like not always being ready to brake if they get nervous.
    Last edited by Dr_UNIX; 08-22-2018 at 09:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by spartan_msu View Post
    I switched out the grip shift as soon as we got home. I put an old 8 speed trigger shifter ...
    I'm curious, did your son try the grip shifters first and preferred trigger, or did you switched them out purely on your own preference?

I've seen many kids that preferred the twist shifters and that prevented me giving them better hand-me-down parts.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    He tried and struggled with the grip shift at the bike shop, and on our first ride at home. He took to the trigger shifter in the first minute once it was adjusted.