Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

2013 hotrock 24 XC disc

Anyone seen these yet? Looks like there coming with an 65mm air fork (actual tuning=amazing) and hydro disc brakes.

Gonna have to get a couple of these for my kids

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    With discs and an air fork, I'll have to seriously consider it. The 20" Hotrock my 6yo has now is holding up well.

My prior choices were previously sorted down to just the Kona Shred 24.

mtbr member
    Wow. My kids are older, but an air fork on a 24 incher? It is nice to see options like that on bikes for kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Typos and terseness are to be expected.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by md247 View Post
    Anyone seen these yet? Looks like there coming with an 65mm air fork (actual tuning=amazing) and hydro disc brakes.

Where did you find the information, specifications or picture? I'm potentially looking at getting my son the Scott RCJr for 2013 but wouldn't mind looking at the spesh too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Not sure where you get your info from, but they are already on the website.

Specialized Bicycle Components

No air, no disk, hell they have a frame with disc tabs, but specced a fork without them.

Lame on Specialized's part.

Hell if you wanted to add discs, you'd be better off getting the lower end one
    Specialized Bicycle Components
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

banned
    Mar 2004
    Yes they are available. No air fork. Coil with rebound and lockout. $660. Will get one of these for the shop!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    It's not posted on the website as of yet, but the Specialized Hotrock XC is available with disc brakes. My LBS had one on display, but it was out of my price range.

Also, Cannondale has some 24" kids bikes that will be available for 2012 holiday season.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

got one on saturday

picked this up for my son on Saturday. did the first ride on Sunday. This is his first geared bike, he has a giant bmx that he has been riding. good looking bike and not horrible overall weight but the front end is way heavy. really want to change out the stem and handlebar. had the LBS take off the plastic disk on the rear cogs and the silly plastic ring on the outside of the top front chain ring. can send pictures if anyone is interested. disk brakes are nice and smooth.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbikernc69 View Post
    Yes they are available. No air fork. Coil with rebound and lockout. $660. Will get one of these for the shop!
    As soon as I confirm my son os ordered and coming in, I'll post a cheaper alternative.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by avetjx View Post
    picked this up for my son on Saturday. did the first ride on Sunday. This is his first geared bike, he has a giant bmx that he has been riding. good looking bike and not horrible overall weight but the front end is way heavy. really want to change out the stem and handlebar. had the LBS take off the plastic disk on the rear cogs and the silly plastic ring on the outside of the top front chain ring. can send pictures if anyone is interested. disk brakes are nice and smooth.
    Does it have an air fork? Pics please if you have the time.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    The Scott Scale RC JR has an air fork. They are very hard to find as I've was told that Scott only imports 50 of them per year. It's a great 24" bike with a decent component mix and most importantly it weighs 22lbs stock. With some upgrades one can get the weight down a few more pounds. I think someone on this forum got it down to 17 pounds with a full XTR grouppo.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

here's the pictures

Here you go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 hotrock 24 XC disc-img_0423.jpg  

2013 hotrock 24 XC disc-img_0424.jpg  

2013 hotrock 24 XC disc-img_0425.jpg  

2013 hotrock 24 XC disc-img_0426.jpg  

2013 hotrock 24 XC disc-img_0427.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Nice bike!

mtbr member
    Are those Tektro hydros? If so, are they stock? I've been leary of putting hydros on my sons bike due to him falling and ripping the levers out of the handle. Tektros are particularly weak in that area (older models at least) as I've done it in a very low speed fall.
    That's a great looking bike, nice to see Spec taking care of kids, they usually just get run-of-the-mill.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    yes they are and they come stock. everything right now in the pictures is stock. tried to change out the seatpost and my control tech seat post is too large in diameter by the absolute smallest of diameters. the seat is also over 100 grams heavier than standard "light weight" seats but my son made me put the stock seat back on because it is more comfortable.

if anyone has any suggestions for a lightweight stem and handlebar combo I would love to hear it. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    My daughters orbea mx team came with a light seat but theres no gel,padding at all,so fitted a wtb she i had lying around ,much better but 130g heavier,but for comfort on longer rides we shall find weight savings elsewhere.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

if anyone has any suggestions for a lightweight stem and handlebar combo I would love to hear it. Thanks.
    If your sticking with the 25.4 this is one heck of a deal! Easton EC70 XC Carbon 25.4 Handlebar Oe > Components > Handlebars and Stems > Handlebars | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    Enjoy every ride!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Can you tell me the weight of the Hot Rock 24 XC??

Sons bike fits in trunk but would have to put the specialized on a rack near its limits.

mtbr member
    I havent weighed it yet, just ordered a park scale from pricepoint. so I'll weigh it next later this week when it arrives. my guess would be 23/24lbs.

turtles make me hot
    yes they are and they come stock. everything right now in the pictures is stock. tried to change out the seatpost and my control tech seat post is too large in diameter by the absolute smallest of diameters. the seat is also over 100 grams heavier than standard "light weight" seats but my son made me put the stock seat back on because it is more comfortable.

Check Ebay for Kalloy Uno... I got riser bars for my son's bike for seven dollars. I've used their stems on a few bikes too. Decent stuff and light for the money.
    I like turtles

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by RSabarese View Post
    Are those Tektro hydros? If so, are they stock? I've been leary of putting hydros on my sons bike due to him falling and ripping the levers out of the handle. Tektros are particularly weak in that area (older models at least) as I've done it in a very low speed fall.
    That's a great looking bike, nice to see Spec taking care of kids, they usually just get run-of-the-mill.
    I put Avid Elixirs on my son's bike. He loves the one finger braking. They don't seem like he'll hurt them, either.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Just put elixer 5's on my daughters bike,i was worried about her locking the wheels up but she seems to be ok,i did explain that she only needed to use one ir two fingers gently like she was holding a mouse,seemed to get through to her lol.

mtbr member
    Amazing dropped nearly 1/2lbs by replacing handlebars

2013 Black hot rock 24"XC disc:
    27.05lbs stock bike

Handlebar Upgrade:
    Stock riser bar 372grams
    Sette flatbar upgrade $17.99 159grams
    New weight: 26.13lbs

Believe it or not, this years bike with hydros is lighter than last years 24"A1.

mtbr member
    Where did you get the Sette flatbar? Do you have a part number or link to the site? Thanks!
    Please visit my bike blog! And if you click a few banner ads, I wouldn't complain!
    http://realworldbiking.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Amazing dropped nearly 1/2lbs by replacing handlebars

2013 Black hot rock 24"XC disc:
    27.05lbs stock bike

Handlebar Upgrade:
    Stock riser bar 372grams
    Sette flatbar upgrade $17.99 159grams
    New weight: 26.13lbs

Believe it or not, this years bike with hydros is lighter than last years 24"A1.
    Thanks for putting up the weight. The Marin Batyview SE is about the same. Not sure how accurate my cheap scale is though.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast