2013 hotrock 24 XC disc

Printable View

  • 08-07-2012
    md247
    2013 hotrock 24 XC disc
    Anyone seen these yet? Looks like there coming with an 65mm air fork (actual tuning=amazing) and hydro disc brakes.

    Gonna have to get a couple of these for my kids
  • 08-09-2012
    Photogorama
    With discs and an air fork, I'll have to seriously consider it. The 20" Hotrock my 6yo has now is holding up well.

    My prior choices were previously sorted down to just the Kona Shred 24.
  • 08-10-2012
    JonathanGennick
    Wow. My kids are older, but an air fork on a 24 incher? It is nice to see options like that on bikes for kids.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Typos and terseness are to be expected.
  • 08-10-2012
    stom_m3
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by md247 View Post
    Anyone seen these yet? Looks like there coming with an 65mm air fork (actual tuning=amazing) and hydro disc brakes.

    Gonna have to get a couple of these for my kids

    Where did you find the information, specifications or picture? I'm potentially looking at getting my son the Scott RCJr for 2013 but wouldn't mind looking at the spesh too.
  • 08-10-2012
    TwoTone
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by md247 View Post
    Anyone seen these yet? Looks like there coming with an 65mm air fork (actual tuning=amazing) and hydro disc brakes.

    Gonna have to get a couple of these for my kids

    Not sure where you get your info from, but they are already on the website.

    Specialized Bicycle Components

    No air, no disk, hell they have a frame with disc tabs, but specced a fork without them.

    Lame on Specialized's part.

    Hell if you wanted to add discs, you'd be better off getting the lower end one
    Specialized Bicycle Components
  • 08-10-2012
    mtbikernc69
    Yes they are available. No air fork. Coil with rebound and lockout. $660. Will get one of these for the shop!
  • 08-11-2012
    wineberry
    It's not posted on the website as of yet, but the Specialized Hotrock XC is available with disc brakes. My LBS had one on display, but it was out of my price range.

    Also, Cannondale has some 24" kids bikes that will be available for 2012 holiday season.
  • 08-13-2012
    avetjx
    got one on saturday
    picked this up for my son on Saturday. did the first ride on Sunday. This is his first geared bike, he has a giant bmx that he has been riding. good looking bike and not horrible overall weight but the front end is way heavy. really want to change out the stem and handlebar. had the LBS take off the plastic disk on the rear cogs and the silly plastic ring on the outside of the top front chain ring. can send pictures if anyone is interested. disk brakes are nice and smooth.
  • 08-13-2012
    TwoTone
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mtbikernc69 View Post
    Yes they are available. No air fork. Coil with rebound and lockout. $660. Will get one of these for the shop!

    As soon as I confirm my son os ordered and coming in, I'll post a cheaper alternative.
  • 08-13-2012
    stom_m3
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by avetjx View Post
    picked this up for my son on Saturday. did the first ride on Sunday. This is his first geared bike, he has a giant bmx that he has been riding. good looking bike and not horrible overall weight but the front end is way heavy. really want to change out the stem and handlebar. had the LBS take off the plastic disk on the rear cogs and the silly plastic ring on the outside of the top front chain ring. can send pictures if anyone is interested. disk brakes are nice and smooth.

    Does it have an air fork? Pics please if you have the time.
  • 08-15-2012
    gmather
    The Scott Scale RC JR has an air fork. They are very hard to find as I've was told that Scott only imports 50 of them per year. It's a great 24" bike with a decent component mix and most importantly it weighs 22lbs stock. With some upgrades one can get the weight down a few more pounds. I think someone on this forum got it down to 17 pounds with a full XTR grouppo.
  • 08-15-2012
    avetjx
    5 Attachment(s)
    here's the pictures
    Here you go.
  • 08-16-2012
    ANDYTQ
    Nice bike!
  • 08-16-2012
    Aresab
    Are those Tektro hydros? If so, are they stock? I've been leary of putting hydros on my sons bike due to him falling and ripping the levers out of the handle. Tektros are particularly weak in that area (older models at least) as I've done it in a very low speed fall.
    That's a great looking bike, nice to see Spec taking care of kids, they usually just get run-of-the-mill.
  • 08-16-2012
    avetjx
    yes they are and they come stock. everything right now in the pictures is stock. tried to change out the seatpost and my control tech seat post is too large in diameter by the absolute smallest of diameters. the seat is also over 100 grams heavier than standard "light weight" seats but my son made me put the stock seat back on because it is more comfortable.

    if anyone has any suggestions for a lightweight stem and handlebar combo I would love to hear it. Thanks.
  • 08-17-2012
    ANDYTQ
    My daughters orbea mx team came with a light seat but theres no gel,padding at all,so fitted a wtb she i had lying around ,much better but 130g heavier,but for comfort on longer rides we shall find weight savings elsewhere.
  • 08-17-2012
    m-dub
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by avetjx View Post

    if anyone has any suggestions for a lightweight stem and handlebar combo I would love to hear it. Thanks.

    If your sticking with the 25.4 this is one heck of a deal! Easton EC70 XC Carbon 25.4 Handlebar Oe > Components > Handlebars and Stems > Handlebars | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
  • 09-10-2012
    sjroland
    Can you tell me the weight of the Hot Rock 24 XC??

    Sons bike fits in trunk but would have to put the specialized on a rack near its limits.
  • 09-10-2012
    md247
    I havent weighed it yet, just ordered a park scale from pricepoint. so I'll weigh it next later this week when it arrives. my guess would be 23/24lbs.
  • 09-10-2012
    NYrr496
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by avetjx View Post
    yes they are and they come stock. everything right now in the pictures is stock. tried to change out the seatpost and my control tech seat post is too large in diameter by the absolute smallest of diameters. the seat is also over 100 grams heavier than standard "light weight" seats but my son made me put the stock seat back on because it is more comfortable.

    if anyone has any suggestions for a lightweight stem and handlebar combo I would love to hear it. Thanks.

    Check Ebay for Kalloy Uno... I got riser bars for my son's bike for seven dollars. I've used their stems on a few bikes too. Decent stuff and light for the money.
  • 09-10-2012
    NYrr496
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by RSabarese View Post
    Are those Tektro hydros? If so, are they stock? I've been leary of putting hydros on my sons bike due to him falling and ripping the levers out of the handle. Tektros are particularly weak in that area (older models at least) as I've done it in a very low speed fall.
    That's a great looking bike, nice to see Spec taking care of kids, they usually just get run-of-the-mill.

    I put Avid Elixirs on my son's bike. He loves the one finger braking. They don't seem like he'll hurt them, either.
  • 09-11-2012
    ANDYTQ
    Just put elixer 5's on my daughters bike,i was worried about her locking the wheels up but she seems to be ok,i did explain that she only needed to use one ir two fingers gently like she was holding a mouse,seemed to get through to her lol.
  • 09-14-2012
    md247
    Amazing dropped nearly 1/2lbs by replacing handlebars

    2013 Black hot rock 24"XC disc:
    27.05lbs stock bike

    Handlebar Upgrade:
    Stock riser bar 372grams
    Sette flatbar upgrade $17.99 159grams
    New weight: 26.13lbs

    Believe it or not, this years bike with hydros is lighter than last years 24"A1.
  • 09-16-2012
    coopdad
    Where did you get the Sette flatbar? Do you have a part number or link to the site? Thanks!
  • 09-16-2012
    TwoTone
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by md247 View Post
    Amazing dropped nearly 1/2lbs by replacing handlebars

    2013 Black hot rock 24"XC disc:
    27.05lbs stock bike

    Handlebar Upgrade:
    Stock riser bar 372grams
    Sette flatbar upgrade $17.99 159grams
    New weight: 26.13lbs

    Believe it or not, this years bike with hydros is lighter than last years 24"A1.

    Thanks for putting up the weight. The Marin Batyview SE is about the same. Not sure how accurate my cheap scale is though.
  • 09-16-2012
    md247
    I got it from pricepoint.com
    weight I listed was on my scale not quoted weight.

    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/230...-Handlebar.htm

    They also have a riser bar that 200grams Quoted

    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/230...-Handlebar.htm



    I need advice on bottom brackets, 68mm for the hotrocks, any suggestions?
  • 09-16-2012
    ColoradoTravel
    3 lbs
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sjroland View Post
    Can you tell me the weight of the Hot Rock 24 XC??

    Sons bike fits in trunk but would have to put the specialized on a rack near its limits.

    I heard you can find ones for three pounds but that is really expensive.
  • 09-17-2012
    NYrr496
  • 10-27-2012
    AdamAlter
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by md247 View Post
    Amazing dropped nearly 1/2lbs by replacing handlebars

    2013 Black hot rock 24"XC disc:
    27.05lbs stock bike

    Handlebar Upgrade:
    Stock riser bar 372grams
    Sette flatbar upgrade $17.99 159grams
    New weight: 26.13lbs

    Believe it or not, this years bike with hydros is lighter than last years 24"A1.

    Thanks for sharing that! My LBS shows the 2013 HotRock 24 XC Disc to come in an 11" and 13", which one did you get these weights from?
  • 10-27-2012
    md247
    The disk bike is an 11" frame.

    I also have lasts years non disk A1 in a 13". It currently weighs 27.02lbs with the sette handle bar & sworks carbon seat post.

    Next upgrades will be bottom brackets, hope to shave close to a lbs there too.
  • 10-27-2012
    TwoTone
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by md247 View Post
    The disk bike is an 11" frame.

    I also have lasts years non disk A1 in a 13". It currently weighs 27.02lbs with the sette handle bar & sworks carbon seat post.

    Next upgrades will be bottom brackets, hope to shave close to a lbs there too.

    Did you swap the tires yet?

    I went with the Schwalbe Mow Joe 24 x 1.85 for the rear 420g
    and the Schwalbe Rocket Ron 24.2.1 for the front 445g

    The stock tires are 620g each.
  • 10-28-2012
    brianW.
    My wife finds it sexist that Specialized offers the boys with a disc brake but no discs for the little ladies.
  • 10-31-2012
    Asmodeus2112
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post

    Any idea what this BB weighs?
  • 11-01-2012
    AdamAlter
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by brianW. View Post
    My wife finds it sexist that Specialized offers the boys with a disc brake but no discs for the little ladies.

    lol, I ordered the 2013 HotRock 24 XC Disc (Boys) from my LBS that should be in tomorrow. The lady working there was a competitive rider who was clearly annoyed for the same reason. My daughter didn't care though, in fact she seemed to want a boys bike because anything related to boys and sports is more fun and challenging. One of the guys working there said he never sees parents coming in looking for a 24" high end MTB for a girl. So it's just a matter of supply coming from demand.

    Thanks for the info in this thread. My LBS is going to weigh parts and look for items they have to swap to get it closer to 20lbs, if possible. I know I should be doing the mods myself, but I'm still pretty new to all this and want to get her on it asap.
  • 11-01-2012
    Rondo
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AdamAlter View Post
    My LBS is going to weigh parts and look for items they have to swap to get it closer to 20lbs, if possible. I know I should be doing the mods myself, but I'm still pretty new to all this and want to get her on it asap.

    Keep us posted on how you fair and if it is possible to get to 20 or better with keeping the front fork shock on this bike.

    :thumbsup:
  • 11-01-2012
    Asmodeus2112
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
    Keep us posted on how you fair and if it is possible to get to 20 or better with keeping the front fork shock on this bike.

    :thumbsup:

    Likely only end up keeping the frame if you hit 20lbs. Maybe the grips...
  • 11-01-2012
    xc71
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Asmodeus2112 View Post
    Likely only end up keeping the frame if you hit 20lbs. Maybe the grips...

    Ya to hit 20 lbs. you would def. only be using the frame to start, maybe the tubes. Keeping it geared with front suspension I would guess 4 to 5 grand. For starters you would have to use Schmolke or Ax-Lightness handlebar, Extralite hubs & DT Swiss XRC 80mm travel fork ( these forks are 1100 grams) & you probably would not be able to find that fork used. So just for those 3 items your at $2400.00.
    I'm looking at posssibly getting one of these bikes for my son & spending 5 or 6 hundred extra on it to knock off opprox 3 lbs.
  • 11-01-2012
    TwoTone
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by xc71 View Post
    Ya to hit 20 lbs. you would def. only be using the frame to start, maybe the tubes. Keeping it geared with front suspension I would guess 4 to 5 grand. For starters you would have to use Schmolke or Ax-Lightness handlebar, Extralite hubs & DT Swiss XRC 80mm travel fork ( these forks are 1100 grams) & you probably would not be able to find that fork used. So just for those 3 items your at $2400.00.
    I'm looking at posssibly getting one of these bikes for my son & spending 5 or 6 hundred extra on it to knock off opprox 3 lbs.

    Maybe I'm missing something, but why spend so much just to take stuff off.

    You could either get the regular non disc 24 speed, has disc tabs on frame and fork, or get the Marin for $500
  • 11-01-2012
    xc71
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something, but why spend so much just to take stuff off.

    You could either get the regular non disc 24 speed, has disc tabs on frame and fork, or get the Marin for $500

    Very true, but you would have to ask AdamAlter who is hoping to get the bike down around 20 lbs.
  • 11-01-2012
    TwoTone
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by xc71 View Post
    Very true, but you would have to ask AdamAlter who is hoping to get the bike down around 20 lbs.

    But you said yourself you're looking at one and spending extra 5-6 hundred. Trust me I get, I did it to my son's Marin. I just was suggesting save a little on the base bikes.
  • 11-01-2012
    Asmodeus2112
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    But you said yourself you're looking at one and spending extra 5-6 hundred. Trust me I get, I did it to my son's Marin. I just was suggesting save a little on the base bikes.

    Yes, you're right. If the frames are the same with disc tabs (although v-brakes are lighter), it doesn't make sense to buy the upper model if most of the parts are going to the thrown in the hummer.:eek:
  • 11-01-2012
    AdamAlter
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by xc71 View Post
    Very true, but you would have to ask AdamAlter who is hoping to get the bike down around 20 lbs.

    lol nonono. Sorry, I wasn't fully clear. I said:
    "get it closer to 20lbs"

    In my head I was thinking getting it closer to 20lbs than it is to 30lbs (sub 25lbs at least). My LBS said they think they could knock off 2+ lbs right off the bat with the handlebars, stem and crank for easily <$200 by giving me some credit for the stock parts. But they needed to weigh everything to confirm that and see what else they could do with tires, pedals, seat & post + other options. I walked away feeling I'd at least have it under 25lbs, sub-23 = best case scenario, but that it would start getting very inefficient on cost/benefit then.

    If they find some great swap options and want to share the detailed part weights I'll gladly bring what they found here. Maybe the reps I talked to were totally off, but either way, the stock bike is still a massive upgrade for her and would be great.
  • 11-01-2012
    md247
    The cost to get it to 20lbs, would be a waste. A couple of trick hand me down parts will drop a couple of pounds, I'm hoping for sub 24lbs, but its really tough w/o spending big money.

    I'll keep the big $$ for a 26 or 29" bike built for them.
  • 11-15-2012
    nch
    A few questions:

    What is the width of the bottom bracket? Specs on the 24 regular Hotrock indicates 68 x 128. Is that right?

    What is the model of Tektro disc brakes?

    Is it clear that the bike continues to be sold with a 65 front fork and 8 speed cassette on the rear with 8 speed shifting? What is the gear range on the rear? The Specialized website is totally jumbled up on specs and indicates that it comes with a 7 speed cassette and 50 front fork but the pics here and on the web indicate 65 fork and an 8 speed cassette. I am concerned about Specialized re-specing it before I order, because the LBS can't seem to get a straight answer. Not a great way to try to sell a bike ....
  • 11-16-2012
    AdamAlter
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by nch View Post
    A few questions:

    What is the width of the bottom bracket? Specs on the 24 regular Hotrock indicates 68 x 128. Is that right?

    What is the model of Tektro disc brakes?

    Is it clear that the bike continues to be sold with a 65 front fork and 8 speed cassette on the rear with 8 speed shifting? What is the gear range on the rear? The Specialized website is totally jumbled up on specs and indicates that it comes with a 7 speed cassette and 50 front fork but the pics here and on the web indicate 65 fork and an 8 speed cassette. I am concerned about Specialized re-specing it before I order, because the LBS can't seem to get a straight answer. Not a great way to try to sell a bike ....

    I got mine in last week (ordered from Specialized to LBS) and ran out to check some of your questions and here's what I see:

    Gears- 3X8

    Fork- Looks like mine came with 80mm (travel measures just over 3") SR Suntour SF-12-XDR-LO-24

    Brakes- Just says 2P Twin Piston Tektro (There's a big graphical "P" with a "2" over it followed by the words "Twin Piston")

    Not sure about the bottom bracket I'm kind of a n00b. Took them awhile to get it in so I said forget the part swapping (I posted about above) and I'd do it myself to lighten it.
  • 11-16-2012
    TwoTone
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by nch View Post
    A few questions:

    What is the width of the bottom bracket? Specs on the 24 regular Hotrock indicates 68 x 128. Is that right?

    What is the model of Tektro disc brakes?

    Is it clear that the bike continues to be sold with a 65 front fork and 8 speed cassette on the rear with 8 speed shifting? What is the gear range on the rear? The Specialized website is totally jumbled up on specs and indicates that it comes with a 7 speed cassette and 50 front fork but the pics here and on the web indicate 65 fork and an 8 speed cassette. I am concerned about Specialized re-specing it before I order, because the LBS can't seem to get a straight answer. Not a great way to try to sell a bike ....

    Sent you a PM, save $150 get the Marin Disc and take $150 and put a nicer 24inch air fork on the front.
  • 11-16-2012
    AdamAlter
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Sent you a PM, save $150 get the Marin Disc and take $150 and put a nicer 24inch air fork on the front.

    Marin looks like a good option, I went with the Specialized for the hydro brakes to help my daughter brake easier with control. Also, the Secialized dealer here is my fav shop as they put on tons of bike functions and support trail maintenance and other events incl kid rides.
  • 11-16-2012
    TwoTone
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AdamAlter View Post
    Marin looks like a good option, I went with the Specialized for the hydro brakes to help my daughter brake easier with control. Also, the Secialized dealer here is my fav shop as they put on tons of bike functions and support trail maintenance and other events incl kid rides.

    The mechanical disc are plenty strong enough. I also like that you have more adjustment options with mechanical.

    I get supporting you local shop, I like mine a lot, bought 2 bikes from them and plenty of parts, but they don't carry Marin so I had to go elsewhere.
  • 11-16-2012
    md247
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AdamAlter View Post
    I got mine in last week (ordered from Specialized to LBS) and ran out to check some of your questions and here's what I see:

    Gears- 3X8

    Fork- Looks like mine came with 80mm (travel measures just over 3") SR Suntour SF-12-XDR-LO-24

    Brakes- Just says 2P Twin Piston Tektro (There's a big graphical "P" with a "2" over it followed by the words "Twin Piston")

    Not sure about the bottom bracket I'm kind of a n00b. Took them awhile to get it in so I said forget the part swapping (I posted about above) and I'd do it myself to lighten it.

    All correct info, I haven't switch the bb yet, but my guess is it will save some weight. I've been surprised as I weigh parts just how light "some" of the factory parts are.

    The tektro brakes work good, my kids actually fight over who gets to ride the 2013 bike over 2012 bike.
  • 11-17-2012
    nch
    Thanks for the info. The Marin looks good but I ride a Spec Stumpie 29er and they want the same bike. So looks like the Specialized. I'll will put the Kenda SB8s on them when the bikes arrive and I may experiment to see if I can set up one of the wheels tubeless with Stan's. If that works, then I'll set them all up that way, for better control at lower pressure and major weight savings. I found some fairly light bars (270g) and seat posts (230g) pretty cheap, and will probably leave it at that for a couple of pounds weight reduction. Will post pics when they are set up. Also, will definitely remove the big rings and replace with BBG bash guards. And of course, new pedals... (Since I have twins, this gets expensive but so far with tires, tubes (which I may not use), bars, post, it is under $100 each bike.)