Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Can you post your full spec and weights? I suspect the Cranks/Wheels and Forks will be the really heavy items to get ride off on a stock bike but also the most expensive to replace...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Here for full specs. Custom Hotrock 24
    Didn't weigh everything separately but can confirm that fork, cranks, wheels and bottom bracket are all anchors. Biggest bang for buck would be to find a '05-'06 80/100mm SID or Manitou fork. Find them on ebay for around $50.

Funny thing is the specialized rep came by the shop and the first thing he said when he saw the end weight was that he thought it would be lighter. I think there's a lot of weight in that small frame.

mtbr member
    Man, great thread. So awesome to see so much useful information.

A week ago, I was desperately trying to piece information together on available bikes. And struggling with whether to do a custom build or just buy something off the shelf.

It seems, a combination of both is probably what will eventually happen.

Things like rear drivetrain and brakes can be carried over onto his next bike. So maybe picking up an off the shelf bike that's already at a good level and then slowly swap out some pieces while maintaining all the OEM parts in storage. When my son needs to move up, some of the upgraded parts can move with him so won't be a total "waste" (although I don't think it'll be wasted at all if he really takes to it and maybe that's the time I need to evaluate before sinking more money into customizing)
    Just get out and ride!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by traffic002 View Post
    Man, great thread. So awesome to see so much useful information.

A week ago, I was desperately trying to piece information together on available bikes. And struggling with whether to do a custom build or just buy something off the shelf.

It seems, a combination of both is probably what will eventually happen.

Things like rear drivetrain and brakes can be carried over onto his next bike. So maybe picking up an off the shelf bike that's already at a good level and then slowly swap out some pieces while maintaining all the OEM parts in storage. When my son needs to move up, some of the upgraded parts can move with him so won't be a total "waste" (although I don't think it'll be wasted at all if he really takes to it and maybe that's the time I need to evaluate before sinking more money into customizing)
    That's what I've done with my son's Marin. All the stock parts are in a box for when it comes time to sell it. The Brakes, drivetrain, carbon bars all can move to the next bike. I can sell the wheels to someone looking to do the same thing to fund his 26 inch wheels.

If you keep an eye on ebay, you can get some good deals on stuff if you're not in a hurry.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

nch
    mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    Good call on the Token stuff. Light and inexpensive. Out of curiosity what is the stock stem length/rise and what did you replace it with length/rise? Thinking about one of these for a while now.
    Sorry for the long delayed reply. Been away from this forum. If you are still invested, the Token stems are like 50-75, very short, with not much rise. My boys are nine and the 13" bikes are a bit big for them so saddle is pushed forward, post is way down, and stems are short. But they will be able to ride these for a couple of years. I notice that they struggle a bit at first maneuvering, after going up from a small Hotrock bike. But now they can ride a lot of technical stuff and the SB8 tires work well for them even on roots and mud. And since they are so light you can run tubed tires at tubeless tire pressures with no worries.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4