Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Not sure what type of trails you ride, if you want light weight but better knobs.
    I put a Rocket Ron 24x2.10 on the front 445g and a Moe Joe 24x 1.85 on the rear at 420g.

As far as bars, watch ebay, I bought both my kids Race Face carbon bars, $35 each
    Race Face Next XC SL Carbon Handlebar Low Riser 610 Width 25 4 Clamp | eBay
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass
    12 TallboyC Frame for Sale-Large

nch
    mtbr member
    May 2012
    Bars are Easton XC270 (actually 265 grams) for $7 at Chain Reaction.

Seat posts are Token aluminum (230 g) for $23 including shipping on PinkBike.

SB8s were around $38 per tire at Chain Reaction, down from around $55 or so (465 g for 1.95 and 550 g for 2.1). Not as light as the Schwalbes but those were impossible to find and more expensive. Info on the stock tire weights varies from 620 g to 750+ g. So minimum weight savings is .6 lbs and maximum is well over a pound.

Conti tubes for around $5.50 per tube at Chain Reaction. (This may have been a waste because the tubes don't seem that light, around 188 g, but we'll see how they compare and I'll resell and keep a couple for the trail if I set them up tubeless.)

I would be interested if anyone has weighed the various stock parts that are easiest to swap. (Bars, stem, post, tires, BB, saddle, tires, tubes.) The bikes haven't arrived yet so I haven't been able to do so. I'm holding off on the stem to check reach and light saddles are expensive.

Thanks.

nch
    mtbr member
    May 2012
    I ride East Cost so there are roots and rocks. But I wouldn't take them out on particularly technical trails or in the wet, sketchy conditions. So the SB8s seem ok, especially if I can set them up tubeless.

nch
    mtbr member
    May 2012
    In case anyone is interested, here are the weights of the various parts I removed from a XC disc to lighten it up:

Hotrock XC 24 13 frame (grams)

Seat 340
    Big ring/plastic guard (replaced with 50 g BBG bash guard) 185
    Grips 110
    Bars 370
    Rear d 305
    Cassette 360
    Front d 150
    Tires (LK) 550
    Shifters 240
    Seatpost 375
    Pedals 400
    Stem 230

With fairly inexpensive non-carbon parts, lighter seat, and Small Block 8 tires, and SLX 10-speed drivetrain on clearance at Jenson, I dropped about 1.5 pounds. The bike new was nearly 28 pounds. But it is very nice and shocks and disc brakes work very well. The stock Specialized LK tires are much lighter than advertised. Seatpost, seat and bars are very heavy. The rest is hard to lighten unless you spend lots of money. Components were no lighter than original and 10-speed cassette is significantly heavier.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    So does anyone know the frame weight on this? Any speculation on which frame is lighter between this XC Disc and the Marin disc?

We have a 2010 Hotrock made out of the trashiest aluminum ever alloyed. Specialized has me nervous now since I can't trust the quality of the alloy. I respect that Marin at least states which alloy they are using.

nch
    mtbr member
    May 2012
    FWIW the 2010 models were not advertised as "A1 aluminum," just an unspecified "alloy." I have no idea what "A1 aluminum" is and whether it is the same in all their "A1" bikes but this is from the website describing the 2013 XC bikes: "This 24" A1 Premium Aluminum frame is built like an adult XC bike with double butted tubing, forged dropouts, and disc-brake mounts." I don't know the frame weight but the frames (I have two, for two boys) look nice and solid and well-made, if overbuilt as with all kids' bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Doing the same thing to a 24" xc non-disc model for son's b-day in jan. only thing I'm carrying over at this point is the saddle. Will post pics and specs for comparison soon.

Btw, anyone know where I can find a couple rocket Ron's. can't seem to find them anywhere except a few on eBay.

nch
    mtbr member
    May 2012

... and if we just ... X9 Hotrock Disc

Here is one of the two bikes my boys will discover XMas morning. All parts except crank sets, rings, bottom bracket, wheels, headset, fork, front d, and discs were swapped. A friend gave me his X9 for a bottle of wine. So for about $180 it is now 2x10 and 2.5 pounds lighter than stock. Stock in 13" was 28 pounds. I assembled a bunch of eBay bargains and the most expensive parts were the $45 tires. The Token post, stem, Wellgo pedals, and Nashbar superlight seat were inexpensive and shaved a ton each. The seat is also pretty pliant so looks comfortable. Ritchey foam grips also drop quite a bit and are $5-7. Bike rocks. But if I had to do it again I would follow the advice on this thread and buy the non-disc bike for much cheaper since so much was swapped.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 hotrock 24 XC disc-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I got mine directly from schwalbe tires.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I got our Rocket Ron's through Amazon.

So, warranty aside, do you think the rear brake bosses could be shaved off safely if starting from the non-disc frame as a base?

Posted w/ Tapatalk via Android

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ridemtn View Post
    I got our Rocket Ron's through Amazon.

So, warranty aside, do you think the rear brake bosses could be shaved off safely if starting from the non-disc frame as a base?

Posted w/ Tapatalk via Android
    Probably, but I'd have to ask why bother? Here's my take, if you're starting with the non dick model and adding disk, except for the wheels, those parts can all transfer to a 26 inch bike.
    So I'd save the old parts so when it's time to sell you can put them back on.

I know if I tried to sell my son's Marin as it is now, I wouldn't come close to recouping the money I dumped into it. So all the stock parts are sitting in a box. I'll move all the good parts over to a 26er and sell the wheels to someone looking to do the same thing to a 24.

Anyway just my 2 cents.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nch View Post
    The Token post, stem, Wellgo pedals, and Nashbar superlight seat were inexpensive and shaved a ton each.
    Good call on the Token stuff. Light and inexpensive. Out of curiosity what is the stock stem length/rise and what did you replace it with length/rise? Thinking about one of these for a while now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Stock stem is 60mm with about 8 or 10 degree rise. Hoping to get ours below 25lbs when all said and done. Pics soon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Small update: build is complete with the exception of rocket rons being run tubeless. Will post picks and specs shortly. Final weight will be around 24lbs. Took complete frame up custom build and extra $750 bucks (at shop cost, not retail mind you) to get here. Went a little overboard but it will serve him and his younger sister in a few years.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Watching this thread with interest. I brought my two girls (7 and 9) a hotrock each for christmas. I could only get a Hotrock 24XC Boys (SRAM) and a Hotrock 24 21-Speed Boys (Shimano) in time for Christmas even when ordered in November. I have returned the 24 21-Speed Boys and ordered a Hotrock 24XC Girls instead. The Shimano bike was 1.5 kilos heavier and the price difference was very little. I plan to sneak a few upgrades onto the bikes (when the wife doesn't notice). I've got a few spare's in the draw that should fit. The FSA XC 270 handlebars form Chain reation look very good. Does anyone know where you can get a quality air fork? The current one is a bit on the low tech side and I suspect heavy. Also anyone know a good set of cranks obviously in maybe 160 or 165mm? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bobgfish View Post
    Watching this thread with interest. I brought my two girls (7 and 9) a hotrock each for christmas. I could only get a Hotrock 24XC Boys (SRAM) and a Hotrock 24 21-Speed Boys (Shimano) in time for Christmas even when ordered in November. I have returned the 24 21-Speed Boys and ordered a Hotrock 24XC Girls instead. The Shimano bike was 1.5 kilos heavier and the price difference was very little. I plan to sneak a few upgrades onto the bikes (when the wife doesn't notice). I've got a few spare's in the draw that should fit. The FSA XC 270 handlebars form Chain reation look very good. Does anyone know where you can get a quality air fork? The current one is a bit on the low tech side and I suspect heavy. Also anyone know a good set of cranks obviously in maybe 160 or 165mm? Thanks.
    There are 2 places to sources 24 inch air forks, best upgrade I made to my son's Marion.
    One is lil shredders Home Page not sure if he still has them and the second is a German website, but I don't have that link. I'm sure someone will post it up for you.

Not sure how tall you're 9 year old is, but 16-165mm cranks in general would too long for your average 9 year old. I suggest getting some shortened ones from SRAM S600 MTB crankarms Shortened
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    If you're looking for a good set of cranks in 160/165, my son runs the 160mm Middleburn cranks/spider/32/22 chain rings. Great quality and light weight - about the same as XTR weight. You will only find the 160mm in one store and that's mtbtandems.com. Don't email them as you probably won't get a response, just give him a phone call. Great guy to deal with. Price is decent as well.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nch View Post
    Here is one of the two bikes my boys will discover XMas morning. All parts except crank sets, rings, bottom bracket, wheels, headset, fork, front d, and discs were swapped. A friend gave me his X9 for a bottle of wine. So for about $180 it is now 2x10 and 2.5 pounds lighter than stock. Stock in 13" was 28 pounds. I assembled a bunch of eBay bargains and the most expensive parts were the $45 tires. The Token post, stem, Wellgo pedals, and Nashbar superlight seat were inexpensive and shaved a ton each. The seat is also pretty pliant so looks comfortable. Ritchey foam grips also drop quite a bit and are $5-7. Bike rocks. But if I had to do it again I would follow the advice on this thread and buy the non-disc bike for much cheaper since so much was swapped.

It might just be me, but the chainstays look super long on these bikes. Right? Anyone compare to say a Scott, Kona etc?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    It might just be me, but the chainstays look super long on these bikes. Right? Anyone compare to say a Scott, Kona etc?
    It's one of the reasons I chose a Marin. Price and chainstays.
    For some reason Specialize lists the Boys as having a shorter chainstay than the girls model. But they are .4 to .78 inches longer than the Marin.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for the responses. I'll look up those places for cranks. I think whats fitted to the boys are 160mm triple cranks. Girls are about 130cm and 128cm tall and growing fast. I have the XC girls arriving this Sat so will do a measure on that as well. Didn't relilise the frames were slightly different on each. Might have to give the girls bike to the younger one for a bit more clearance on the top tube....If anyone can name the German website for airforks that would be good too. I'm in Switzerland so easy to get shipped.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks for the responses. I'll look up those places for cranks. I think whats fitted to the boys are 160mm triple cranks. Girls are about 130cm and 128cm tall and growing fast. I have the XC girls arriving this Sat so will do a measure on that as well. Didn't relilise the frames were slightly different on each. Might have to give the girls bike to the younger one for a bit more clearance on the top tube....If anyone can name the German website for airforks that would be good too. I'm in Switzerland so easy to get shipped.
    That's the strange part, the stand over is lower on the Girls. So not sure what's up with the Chain Stay length on the boys.

I'm betting it's a typo since there frames have had a 420mm chain stay for years. I can't see them making it 10mm shorter just for the boys model.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    So I now have both the Hotrock 24 XC boys and a Hotrock 24 XC girls for both my girls. The frame sizes are identical and not as per Specialized site. Same standover and chainstay length. Apart from the color I can see one difference. The girls has a straight handlebar and boys have riser. No upgrades yet but planning on a few over time. Got some spare raceface bars and will get cheap stems and seat post. One day might even go for some nicer forks.

RST F1RST Air 24" MTB Federgabel schwarz

Last edited by bobgfish; 01-13-2013 at 08:39 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Would you mind providing a weight on the boys model. I just customized one for my son using that frame but didn't get a chance to weigh it before ripping it apart.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    They are both 12.7 KG. Extremly heavy. Not weighed any parts yet but my upgrades will be based on weight...My FS 26 is 12kg and my FS29 is 11KG...Not very fair for kids who only weigh 30KG....

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks for the info and agreed on the weight. To give you something to shoot for, I got my son's down under 24 but that took some radical upgrading. As mentioned in other threads, you can save a lot of weight from the start simply by swapping bars, seat post, and tires. Would also dump that 3rd ring on the triple and simply run a bash.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast