Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    I got it from pricepoint.com
    weight I listed was on my scale not quoted weight.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/230...-Handlebar.htm

They also have a riser bar that 200grams Quoted

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/230...-Handlebar.htm

I need advice on bottom brackets, 68mm for the hotrocks, any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

3 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by sjroland View Post
    Can you tell me the weight of the Hot Rock 24 XC??

Sons bike fits in trunk but would have to put the specialized on a rack near its limits.
    I heard you can find ones for three pounds but that is really expensive.

turtles make me hot
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by md247 View Post
    Amazing dropped nearly 1/2lbs by replacing handlebars

2013 Black hot rock 24"XC disc:
    27.05lbs stock bike

Handlebar Upgrade:
    Stock riser bar 372grams
    Sette flatbar upgrade $17.99 159grams
    New weight: 26.13lbs

Believe it or not, this years bike with hydros is lighter than last years 24"A1.
    Thanks for sharing that! My LBS shows the 2013 HotRock 24 XC Disc to come in an 11" and 13", which one did you get these weights from?

mtbr member
    The disk bike is an 11" frame.

I also have lasts years non disk A1 in a 13". It currently weighs 27.02lbs with the sette handle bar & sworks carbon seat post.

Next upgrades will be bottom brackets, hope to shave close to a lbs there too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by md247 View Post
    The disk bike is an 11" frame.

I also have lasts years non disk A1 in a 13". It currently weighs 27.02lbs with the sette handle bar & sworks carbon seat post.

Next upgrades will be bottom brackets, hope to shave close to a lbs there too.
    Did you swap the tires yet?

I went with the Schwalbe Mow Joe 24 x 1.85 for the rear 420g
    and the Schwalbe Rocket Ron 24.2.1 for the front 445g

The stock tires are 620g each.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    My wife finds it sexist that Specialized offers the boys with a disc brake but no discs for the little ladies.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Any idea what this BB weighs?
    Work to Ride - Ride to Work
    There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing...

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by brianW. View Post
    My wife finds it sexist that Specialized offers the boys with a disc brake but no discs for the little ladies.
    lol, I ordered the 2013 HotRock 24 XC Disc (Boys) from my LBS that should be in tomorrow. The lady working there was a competitive rider who was clearly annoyed for the same reason. My daughter didn't care though, in fact she seemed to want a boys bike because anything related to boys and sports is more fun and challenging. One of the guys working there said he never sees parents coming in looking for a 24" high end MTB for a girl. So it's just a matter of supply coming from demand.

Thanks for the info in this thread. My LBS is going to weigh parts and look for items they have to swap to get it closer to 20lbs, if possible. I know I should be doing the mods myself, but I'm still pretty new to all this and want to get her on it asap.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamAlter View Post
    My LBS is going to weigh parts and look for items they have to swap to get it closer to 20lbs, if possible. I know I should be doing the mods myself, but I'm still pretty new to all this and want to get her on it asap.
    Keep us posted on how you fair and if it is possible to get to 20 or better with keeping the front fork shock on this bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
    Keep us posted on how you fair and if it is possible to get to 20 or better with keeping the front fork shock on this bike.

Likely only end up keeping the frame if you hit 20lbs. Maybe the grips...

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus2112 View Post
    Likely only end up keeping the frame if you hit 20lbs. Maybe the grips...
    Ya to hit 20 lbs. you would def. only be using the frame to start, maybe the tubes. Keeping it geared with front suspension I would guess 4 to 5 grand. For starters you would have to use Schmolke or Ax-Lightness handlebar, Extralite hubs & DT Swiss XRC 80mm travel fork ( these forks are 1100 grams) & you probably would not be able to find that fork used. So just for those 3 items your at $2400.00.
    I'm looking at posssibly getting one of these bikes for my son & spending 5 or 6 hundred extra on it to knock off opprox 3 lbs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by xc71 View Post
    Ya to hit 20 lbs. you would def. only be using the frame to start, maybe the tubes. Keeping it geared with front suspension I would guess 4 to 5 grand. For starters you would have to use Schmolke or Ax-Lightness handlebar, Extralite hubs & DT Swiss XRC 80mm travel fork ( these forks are 1100 grams) & you probably would not be able to find that fork used. So just for those 3 items your at $2400.00.
    I'm looking at posssibly getting one of these bikes for my son & spending 5 or 6 hundred extra on it to knock off opprox 3 lbs.
    Maybe I'm missing something, but why spend so much just to take stuff off.

You could either get the regular non disc 24 speed, has disc tabs on frame and fork, or get the Marin for $500
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something, but why spend so much just to take stuff off.

You could either get the regular non disc 24 speed, has disc tabs on frame and fork, or get the Marin for $500
    Very true, but you would have to ask AdamAlter who is hoping to get the bike down around 20 lbs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Very true, but you would have to ask AdamAlter who is hoping to get the bike down around 20 lbs.
    But you said yourself you're looking at one and spending extra 5-6 hundred. Trust me I get, I did it to my son's Marin. I just was suggesting save a little on the base bikes.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    But you said yourself you're looking at one and spending extra 5-6 hundred. Trust me I get, I did it to my son's Marin. I just was suggesting save a little on the base bikes.
    Yes, you're right. If the frames are the same with disc tabs (although v-brakes are lighter), it doesn't make sense to buy the upper model if most of the parts are going to the thrown in the hummer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    lol nonono. Sorry, I wasn't fully clear. I said:
    "get it closer to 20lbs"

In my head I was thinking getting it closer to 20lbs than it is to 30lbs (sub 25lbs at least). My LBS said they think they could knock off 2+ lbs right off the bat with the handlebars, stem and crank for easily <$200 by giving me some credit for the stock parts. But they needed to weigh everything to confirm that and see what else they could do with tires, pedals, seat & post + other options. I walked away feeling I'd at least have it under 25lbs, sub-23 = best case scenario, but that it would start getting very inefficient on cost/benefit then.

If they find some great swap options and want to share the detailed part weights I'll gladly bring what they found here. Maybe the reps I talked to were totally off, but either way, the stock bike is still a massive upgrade for her and would be great.

mtbr member
    The cost to get it to 20lbs, would be a waste. A couple of trick hand me down parts will drop a couple of pounds, I'm hoping for sub 24lbs, but its really tough w/o spending big money.

I'll keep the big $$ for a 26 or 29" bike built for them.

nch
    mtbr member
    May 2012
    A few questions:

What is the width of the bottom bracket? Specs on the 24 regular Hotrock indicates 68 x 128. Is that right?

What is the model of Tektro disc brakes?

Is it clear that the bike continues to be sold with a 65 front fork and 8 speed cassette on the rear with 8 speed shifting? What is the gear range on the rear? The Specialized website is totally jumbled up on specs and indicates that it comes with a 7 speed cassette and 50 front fork but the pics here and on the web indicate 65 fork and an 8 speed cassette. I am concerned about Specialized re-specing it before I order, because the LBS can't seem to get a straight answer. Not a great way to try to sell a bike ....

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by nch View Post
    A few questions:

What is the width of the bottom bracket? Specs on the 24 regular Hotrock indicates 68 x 128. Is that right?

Is it clear that the bike continues to be sold with a 65 front fork and 8 speed cassette on the rear with 8 speed shifting? What is the gear range on the rear? The Specialized website is totally jumbled up on specs and indicates that it comes with a 7 speed cassette and 50 front fork but the pics here and on the web indicate 65 fork and an 8 speed cassette. I am concerned about Specialized re-specing it before I order, because the LBS can't seem to get a straight answer. Not a great way to try to sell a bike ....
    I got mine in last week (ordered from Specialized to LBS) and ran out to check some of your questions and here's what I see:

Gears- 3X8

Fork- Looks like mine came with 80mm (travel measures just over 3") SR Suntour SF-12-XDR-LO-24

Brakes- Just says 2P Twin Piston Tektro (There's a big graphical "P" with a "2" over it followed by the words "Twin Piston")

Not sure about the bottom bracket I'm kind of a n00b. Took them awhile to get it in so I said forget the part swapping (I posted about above) and I'd do it myself to lighten it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nch View Post
    A few questions:

Sent you a PM, save $150 get the Marin Disc and take $150 and put a nicer 24inch air fork on the front.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Sent you a PM, save $150 get the Marin Disc and take $150 and put a nicer 24inch air fork on the front.
    Marin looks like a good option, I went with the Specialized for the hydro brakes to help my daughter brake easier with control. Also, the Secialized dealer here is my fav shop as they put on tons of bike functions and support trail maintenance and other events incl kid rides.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Marin looks like a good option, I went with the Specialized for the hydro brakes to help my daughter brake easier with control. Also, the Secialized dealer here is my fav shop as they put on tons of bike functions and support trail maintenance and other events incl kid rides.
    The mechanical disc are plenty strong enough. I also like that you have more adjustment options with mechanical.

I get supporting you local shop, I like mine a lot, bought 2 bikes from them and plenty of parts, but they don't carry Marin so I had to go elsewhere.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    I got mine in last week (ordered from Specialized to LBS) and ran out to check some of your questions and here's what I see:

Gears- 3X8

Fork- Looks like mine came with 80mm (travel measures just over 3") SR Suntour SF-12-XDR-LO-24

Brakes- Just says 2P Twin Piston Tektro (There's a big graphical "P" with a "2" over it followed by the words "Twin Piston")

Not sure about the bottom bracket I'm kind of a n00b. Took them awhile to get it in so I said forget the part swapping (I posted about above) and I'd do it myself to lighten it.
    All correct info, I haven't switch the bb yet, but my guess is it will save some weight. I've been surprised as I weigh parts just how light "some" of the factory parts are.

The tektro brakes work good, my kids actually fight over who gets to ride the 2013 bike over 2012 bike.

nch
    mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks for the info. The Marin looks good but I ride a Spec Stumpie 29er and they want the same bike. So looks like the Specialized. I'll will put the Kenda SB8s on them when the bikes arrive and I may experiment to see if I can set up one of the wheels tubeless with Stan's. If that works, then I'll set them all up that way, for better control at lower pressure and major weight savings. I found some fairly light bars (270g) and seat posts (230g) pretty cheap, and will probably leave it at that for a couple of pounds weight reduction. Will post pics when they are set up. Also, will definitely remove the big rings and replace with BBG bash guards. And of course, new pedals... (Since I have twins, this gets expensive but so far with tires, tubes (which I may not use), bars, post, it is under $100 each bike.)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast