mtbr member
    Sep 2013

2010 Hotrock 20"

Hi,

I have purchased a second hand Hotrock 20" for my 6 yr old son, and decided to make it a custom build.
    I have stripped it down and it is off with my father to respray the frame and the forks.

I have ordered some new alloy handle bars and am going to change the shifter to a Shimano Acera 7 Speed SL-M310, as I have one of these spare.

The original bike is a 6 speed and I plan on making it a 7 as I have the shifter, however am trying to decide on if I should put a 14/34t freewheel on it. We have alot of hills round here and thinking it may help him.

However I am not 100% sure on the derailleur to purchase for the bike. I have seen other posts that people have managed this, how is it long term?

I have heard of the derailleur rubbing on the largest cog, is there a way round this?

Which derailleur's have people had success with? I also assume I will need a longer chain.

If I decided just to use a 14-28 7 speed freewheel would I need a new derailleur?

Once I have the frame and forks resprayed and the bike built back up I will post some pics.

Thanks

Glen

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I went 34 tooth on the 8 speed conversion I did on my daughters 20" she has just turned 6 and it helps her up here in washington. It is the hardest shift for her though but she will strengthen in time and lean to read trails ahead and shift on time not late

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I ended up ordering the 34 tooth and new derailleur. Just waiting for the bike to come back from painting so that I can start building it back up.

Havok
    Sounds cool, excited to see the photos.

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    We are using a 2x8 setup. I believe a 12-32 in back, and a 22x32 up front. We are using a very old (15yr?) shimano LX rear derailleur and an Acera front derailleur/shifters. For the rear derailleur, I would just get something cheap from the 90s (shimano LX or above) off of ebay that isn't all worn out for less than $20 and call it good. Bonus points for short cage if you don't ever plan on doing a front chainring setup, but I used the long cage ("sgs") just fine.

Good luck - looking forward to seeing pics, too!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Well after a fair while since I last posted I have finally finished the build.

Here are the pics.

The original bike as purchased -

Name:  Original Bike.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  41.1 KB

When I got the frame back from painting

2010 Hotrock 20"-img_3367.jpg

And now the bike is built up

2010 Hotrock 20"-bikepic1.jpg

2010 Hotrock 20"-bikepic2.jpg

2010 Hotrock 20"-img_3406.jpg

2010 Hotrock 20"-img_3404.jpg

I ended up going for a standard 7 speed cassette and will look at the mega range cassette when I get some time!

I will be giving it to him for Xmas so will report back on how he gets on with the build once he has ridden it a few times!

Thanks

Glen

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    So what did you do? Looks like paint job, wheels/tires, shifters, bars?

Looks nice!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hi,

List of work carried out on the bike -

Paint Job
    New Tyres - Kona Small Block 8's
    New Wheels (Managed to bugger up thread on rear wheel cassette!!!) - Cheep Ebay ones...
    New Shifters removing twist shift
    New bars

And a strip down and rebuild, since the photos I have also removed the chain roller to see how he gets on without it.

Fight the Kakistocracy!

Re: 2010 Hotrock 20"

My son has an older version of this bike. We went 1x9 with a deore shifter and mid cage xtr (had it on my beater). We ditched the rollers when I swapped him to 135mm Sinz cranks with an AC chainring. A non-ramped chainring should keep the chain on so long as the front ring is aligned well with the middle of the cassette. We have had no issues over rocks or roots. Enjoy, that's a nice build.
    veelz

Gravity, not just a good idea, it's a law.
    The only one consistently and constantly applied, no exceptions.