mtbr member
    Jun 2011

2008 hotrock worth 175.00

Found a used hotrock for my 10year old. Shes expressed that she would like to race and her 20" big box store bike isnt going to cut it.

The bike I found looks to he in good condition from the pics. Problem is its 2.5 hours away( we will make a day of it , go to ikea and visit friends). I know its a freewheel and not cassett but that can be changed out as her skills improve.

Is it a decent price for a good condition hotrock?

Thanks guys and girls

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    What would the bike be used for? You never said if it was the Hotrock 20" or 24". She wouldn't race a Hotrock if that's what she would like to do with it. Regardless, new ones are $200-400. At 2.5 hours away, I assume that's 150miles or 300 miles round trip. At $0.62/mile, the trip alone is going to cost you $180. Even if the bike was free, the trip would barely make it worth it as it's a used bike. Nothing wrong with buying used as long as it makes sense. My .02.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Im not sure I understand all of your post.
    Its a 24". It will be used for light trails to begin with. After watching a race she said ahe would like to try one out. She will need some practice on a better bike.

Not sure on the distance but maybe 200km away from me and that might run 30.00 in fuel. Add some lunch and other stuff, still along way from 180.00.

Aside from all that is it on par with other bikes of the same quality.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by machine4321 View Post
    Im not sure I understand all of your post.
    Its a 24". It will be used for light trails to begin with. After watching a race she said ahe would like to try one out. She will need some practice on a better bike.

Not sure on the distance but maybe 200km away from me and that might run 30.00 in fuel. Add some lunch and other stuff, still along way from 180.00.

Aside from all that is it on par with other bikes of the same quality.
    Sorry, I read your post too quick. My company pays $0.62/mile which is where that number came from. Also, it's not just fuel but the wear and tear on your car. $175 is not bad independent of time and miles.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    My 10 year old is on a 24" Hotrock (the latest top end model)and it's a decent enough bike. If she wants to race it though you absolutely have to shed some weight and get better forks. Not sure of the exact weight but I can tell as stock it's significantly heavier than my Large size Epic FS. As frames go Spesh A1 is not bad reasonably light when I've had it in bits. If the frame is the A1 model and in decent nick and has disc tabs maybe worth it if you want to turn it into a race rig.

FYI You're going to need to change out
    -Forks - Heavy and crap (rebound does not work full stop) decent 24" forks seem to hard to get hold of
    - Bar, stem, spacers (made of lead I think)
    - Seatpost and saddle
    - Drive train and hubs (I have an old SLX crank converting to 2x9 for her to use, with 9 speed XT cassette) - am also looking at whole new wheelsets
    - add Disc brakes
    My eldest doesn't really want to race but the youngest does - so this bike will go to her, she will be perfect size when the eldest is ready for a 26er - just can't find forks at the moment all I'm waiting on.
    BTW All 24" kids bikes seem to be similar over component weight not just spesh
    Last edited by SimpleJon; 05-16-2012 at 10:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I was really hoping she could fit a small 26" but at 54" mabye 55 now it looks like a big fit. The race class she will be in is not very hardcore and only seems to ever have 4 or 5 kids in it. I dont think i will go to crazy on modding it since she will probably out grow it in 2 years ish. I would feel better if she was on somthing decent. Her 20" hast to weigh over 30lbs. Its horrible.

turtles make me hot
    I'm building my son a 24" wheel GF Tyro right now. I bought the complete bike from Craigslist for 60 bucks. It weighed a ton. I almost didn't take it, but the woman seemed like she needed the money and her kid had outgrown it.
    I took the bike home and completely disassembled it. Thankfully, the frame is pretty light. So far, I've laced up a pair of Sunringle rims to Shimano hubs, changed the cranks to Sinz with a single 34 tooth chainring and installed an Ebay 26" fork. With the other parts I've swapped from my parts bin, it's becoming a nice, light bike for him. Too bad he's probably only going to get a year or so out of it before we have to start on a 26" bike. Damn kid grows like a weed.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Well long time but I just got back from a long ass drive. There was only 2 for sale in my province that looked ok. This is the one I posted about.

Ended up getting it for 125.00. It looks to be un used. 40 bucks in gas, so i think I did pretty well on it. Pretty well spec'd bike. I am impressed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    That looks brand new, congrats on the pick up.

mtbr member
    Nice pick up. I'd guess she'll get 2 years use out of it and you'll still be able to recoup over half the initial cost! If you go crazy with mods like I did, just save the old parts to return it to stock before you sell.
    Matt
    I'm here for the OT

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Yea its in good shape. I dont doubt I could close to 100 in a couple years.

Not going to do to much to it. Ive got a bar thats nice and light and theres lots of cheap stems out there for cheap. Mabye a saddle and seat post if the price is right.

Going to weigh the stocker to see just how heavy they are. They soud heavy when I tap them lol

mtbr member
    that bike does look brand new good find