mtbr member
    Apr 2010

2004 Gary Fisher Tyro... Upgradable?

I tried looking it up on Bikepedia but can't find anything.
    I've heard that it's heavy... so was thinking about swapping out for some leftover grouwn-up bike parts.
    But I've also read that the handlebar and seatpost diameters might not be the same as the grown-up bikes. Any experience? I'll have it sometime in the next week or so, but was just wanting to see if anyone else has upgraded one of these. Would love to see pics and spec's on what you've done.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Well, It's been a while since this post. We've had the bike all summer, and she hasn't touched her old BMX bike since.
    She broke the plastic chain /pant leg protector right off.
    I was afraid of the top ring cutting her at some time, so finally did something about it.
    Drilled out the rivets for the top ring, and sized up my 4 hole bash guard. Very close to the same hole pattern! Need to find some short countersink screws and thin nuts for the backside to attach a bashguard.
    After some investigating, I discover the handlebars and seatpost are steel. It also has this huge hunk of aluminum stem.
    So getting rid of the huge stem, and swapping out to a standard aluminum quill stem, and aluminum handlebars and seat post should drop a couple pounds.

She also gets frustrated with the grip shift shifters. She's always accidentally shifting. I'm looking into swapping to trigger shifters.