mtbr member
    Mar 2004

A 20" Wheeled Frame with rear disc brake tabs?

I recently got a Spinner air fork and laced up a wheel so my daughter could run disc brakes up front. She loves the stopping power of the disc brake, but has had problems as of late with putting too much power to the front and not enough to the back, and her right arm hurts on long downhills, while her left arm feels good. I was looking at trying to find something to adapt to her Hot Rock 20 frame to allow for a disc brake to be put on the back, but they are either bulky or really expensive, and sometimes both.

So I was hoping to find a frame only option, so I can move the rest of the parts over that has disc brake tabs on the back. The only bikes in the 20" wheeled size that I have seen are the Hot Rock 20 Pro and the Lil'Shredder hardtail. Are there any other frame only options?

Thanks - BS

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    The Giant XTC has disc brakes tabs on the frame. Don't think they sell them in the US but the Carrera Detonate is a full sus (I use that term lightly) 20" bike with disc brake tabs on the frame. Kona Shred also has disc brake tabs.
    Can't think of any frame only options for 20" bikes other then the Lil'Shredder - even the Commencal Supreme and Ramones 20" are only available as complete bikes.
    TBH your best bet is probably to source a second hand bike from ebay - I did this with the Giant XTC Jr 20" I'm building at the moment, the bike was in crappy condition and had been butchered, but the frame was fine and this was all I wanted it for really, now its been powder coated it's as good as new and was much cheaper then buying a frame alone.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    If you have any metalworking ability, check the adapter out on this bike. Might not be the best, but it should work until she can fit an XS 26" bike. If she's having a hard time with her right hand, I can't help wonder if she's just riding the rear brake too much.

Mongoose Beast modifications - Page 24

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    If you have any metalworking ability, check the adapter out on this bike. Might not be the best, but it should work until she can fit an XS 26" bike. If she's having a hard time with her right hand, I can't help wonder if she's just riding the rear brake too much.

Mongoose Beast modifications - Page 24
    I was thinking of trying to do something like this, and definitely prefer the bolt on instead of weld on interface, but seems like it would be rough to get the geometry of the caliper correct. I definitely don't want to do anything that will increase the likelihood of a wreck.

And I assume the reason for cranking on the rear too hard is that she was having problems with her front tire skidding while braking, so I told her she needs to do the rear brake harder and front brake easier. It's hard for a 5 year old to understand the whole front/rear brake inter-workings, but when one brake can be activated with so little effort (front hydro vs rear v-brake), this happens. I'm sure as she gets more comfortable on the bike, it will be less of a problem.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    the template should be copying the center hole location and the two brake adapter holes onto a piece of metal and cutting it out so it clears the frame and you are able to attach it to a second point on the frame (rack mount probably). Since the brake adapter holes have the same ange and distance from the center hole, they can be rotated anywhere. The only real issue will be spacing/shimming the brake adapter over a litle bit.

CJH
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BullSCit View Post
    So I was hoping to find a frame only option, so I can move the rest of the parts over that has disc brake tabs on the back. Are there any other frame only options?
    Norco Ninja. Some threads from a few years ago suggest they're not available in the US but my local Norco dealer says they now are.

No idea if there is a frame only option.

Ninja Boy's 20 Inch Youth Bikes Norco Bicycles

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Spawn Savage? You can email them and see if they'll sell you just a frame

Spawn Cycles Savage 2.0 | Spawn Cycles - Born to Ride
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

scn
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Kranked bikes sell a 20-inch frame only option with disc tabs. Kranked Ripper Frames

Lil Shredder I believe sells a frame only option as well, but not sure of the cost.
    Home Page