mtbr member
    Jul 2013

20" tire recommandations

The used HR i picked up for my son has two different tires and the rear is getting pretty worn, so its time for new. I looking for a mid range tire nothing too cheap but not top of the line. We are weekend riders and have nice built trail close. He also rides his bike around the neighborhood as well. I looking for some advise on a good off road tire that wont wear down quickly with him riding on the street.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    from what I've been looking at the schwable moe joe is light with little rolling resistance the kenda small block 8 seems to be pretty light too but I've heard it has much more rolling resistance I'm looking to grab new tires for my daughters HR too

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by snowbeaverking View Post
    from what I've been looking at the schwable moe joe is light with little rolling resistance the kenda small block 8 seems to be pretty light too but I've heard it has much more rolling resistance I'm looking to grab new tires for my daughters HR too
    Thanks for the response! After looking and looking i keep going back to the moe joe, so that might be the route i take. I have notice they come in a smaller size than what came the the HR it had 2.125. The back tire has been replaced with a 1.75 and i feel like the wider size is better for new/young rider. Thoughts? The 2.125 doesn't seem to be a common size for replacement tires and I don't think if i go to a 1.9 it will be that noticeable. I would think it would be better sense the tires now are worn and old.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Wider = more rolling resistance but+ more rotational mass but it also =more squish under them and less trail chatter. So I would have to suggest going with a wider if your kid is primarily off road but if they are going to be on the street mostly a narrower tire would work. Be sure you are getting the 406 size 20" not the supper skinny race tire I believe they are like a 451 or something