mtbr member

20" singlespeed bike options

My 7 year old is due a new bike for her birthday and I'm thinking a 20" singlespeed is the best for her.

I've found a couple at REI.com (Novara Pixie) and Performance (Diamondback Impression) but that's it. Any other suggestions? I don't want a suspension fork or gears, as she's only been riding for a year and this bike will just be used for tooling around the neighborhood and paved bike paths.

Other suggestions?
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    My son had a Trek Jet 20 that was a good bike for his age. Also, check out this thread in the Singlespeed forum:
    Post Your Kid's Singlespeed!
    I ride at night - see my tips for Night Cycling
    My Blog: Cycling For Beginners

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    A micro BMX, the front fork on most cheap bikes is barely useable, a really light rigid bike will teach better riding skills.
    BMX sizing is Micro, Mini, Jr, Expert, Pro. with a few XL's added for inbetween sizes,

Micro BMX are different than street or park BMX, they often have non-hirise handlebars, run aluminum frames and are race oriented.
    What it means for you is a nice light bike with good handling.
    Usually can be found used on Craigslist or Kijiji for a reasonable price, in my area about $150.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    we got this for my son and we are very happy with it

Trail 20 Single Speed Boy's - Trail - BOYS BICYCLES - Kids - Bikes - 2013

mtbr member
    A little more expensive, but worth it in my opinion is the specialized hotrock 20" single speed. You can find nice ones used on CL for 75 to 150$ too if you think she might outgrow it quickly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I got a used 2005 Specialized Hemi MINI bmx bike for my son off of Craigslist for $40. Its around 16lbs but still has room to get lighter. This bike fits him so much better than his 20" MTB. Only bad part is there is no front brake.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    How about you be the cool dad and get her a nice, older bmx from the 90s, you can get something for $50-200 all day on craigslist with us built frames, good parts, mag wheels, etc. She'll be the envy of all the kids and some of the dads, in the neighborhood.

The quality level will most likely be well above anything in its price range, and they'll take any abuse you can give it. I have a nice set of chrome Dyno's I've rebuilt for the boy, starting with 16" coaster brakes,a 20" with a lower Bb and shorter crank, and a larger 20" that will fit indefinately. All of which are in nice shape, have mag wheels, matching grips, tires, etc and none of them cost me more than $100 for the bike and a few bucks in parts.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Mini BMXs are great, and light. However, they may need some work on the brakes as some are pretty much for show. Most BMX bikes will need to have a front brake added. Another good spot to find decent bikes is BMXMuseum.com's classifieds, although the temptation to collect a sweet ride for yourself is a concern you need to face. I have an '87 Mongoose Californian because of that site, and ended up getting a Redline at my LBS for my kid. And no, I don't share.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    build your own:

20" singlespeed bike options-img_0780.jpg
    crap! i gotta learn to climb.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Stockli Boy View Post
    Mini BMXs are great, and light. However, they may need some work on the brakes as some are pretty much for show. Most BMX bikes will need to have a front brake added. Another good spot to find decent bikes is BMXMuseum.com's classifieds, although the temptation to collect a sweet ride for yourself is a concern you need to face. I have an '87 Mongoose Californian because of that site, and ended up getting a Redline at my LBS for my kid. And no, I don't share.
    I think that you're comparing apples & oranges on the brakes - my 6 year old kid's mini bmx has excellent v brakes, and it has served him well for the few trail rides that he's done thus far. His street BMX bike with a U brake is another story...that is more for show than for stopping!

I agree in that modern minis can be great trail bikes - it has helped my kid with the whole 'stand up & stomp' move for climbing & keeping momentum.

Said kid after a trail ride this fall!
    20" singlespeed bike options-trail10-5-13_zps53dd932b.jpg
    ELEVATE CYCLES | FTW FACTORY RACING | ODI | NEMA | 661| AZONIC | SPY

Havok
    I just came across an article about the SARACEN Amplitude 20". It looks like a nice single speed kids mtb.