mtbr member
    Sep 2005

20+ rigid front end?

So, new direction here...

Thought I wanted to replace the worn-out 20" Suntour coil with a 20" air fork, but price and rim-brakes seem to limit me to a single choice (Grind Air). While I'm sure it would be a huge improvement and somewhat lighter, I'm still reluctant to put that kind of money into this short-lived ride. We'll go big with the 24" when it's time.

Now thinking rigid with as big a tire as I can fit. Rim is a BMX CR18, which looks like only 18mm internal. Kid is light and hardly aggressive so I'm not too worried about roll-offs, but at some point it's too much, yes? Current tires are MaxxDaddy 2.0 @ 15-18psi, which we really like (and will stay in the rear).

The Brood Maxtion 2.2 looks like a serious contender(does it actually measure 2.2?) and probably our choice. Most mfg seem to jump over 2.4 (at least in knobbies), and I'm thinking 2.6/2.8 is too much for the rim? Maybe that's the end of it right there (with the rim as the limiting factor), but I've also got to buy a fork.

Suggestions on light, rigid 20"? I see Chinese alloy stuff on eBay for 1/3 the cost (and 1/2 the weight) of the Grind but the sellers can't tell me for sure how wide a tire their product will accept. If wider tire will work on the rim, I also need to make sure it fits in the fork!

Again, front only (2.0 is solid and staying in the rear), must have rim-brake bosses. ACL on the Suntour is ~440mm...not sure if it was original, as angles measure super slack with it (61 HTA / 64 STA?!). Seems like a bit less ACL might be a good thing, especially if the tire gets bigger.

Thoughts appreciated.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Apparently there are other dad's on here that have found carbon Chinese forks for like 70$. I don't recall the details but I believe they may have bought them on alibaba or something like that. I'm sure someone else will pipe up here. I think you are on the right track. I haven't measured the Maxtion 2.2 we have but they are beefy enough and I've been impressed with their durability big time. That being said they are expensive. If you aren't riding adult stuff, you can probably get away with something less expensive and not see the difference. Like you said, go big for the 24". Heck for the money you save in tires, you could nearly buy a nice used 16" BMX to do skill work on (now is the time) if you don't have one already.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Trek Precaliber 20 Build thread

that was my story of finally finding a suitable suspension corrected carbon fork with v-brake mounts.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Saw that.

What tire is that and does it measure accurately? How much more do you think might fit? Looks about as close as I'd want to go as-is.

I looked at that fork exactly. They also have an alloy version at half the price but double the weight (900g w/VERY long steerer) that looks like it is significantly wider. That's where I'm leaning at the moment.

Folding-bike fork rake is OK on mtb? Numbers are scarce.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dookie View Post
    Saw that.

What tire is that and does it measure accurately? How much more do you think might fit? Looks about as close as I'd want to go as-is.

I looked at that fork exactly. They also have an alloy version at half the price but double the weight (900g w/VERY long steerer) that looks like it is significantly wider. That's where I'm leaning at the moment.

Folding-bike fork rake is OK on mtb? Numbers are scarce.
    it is a 20 x 1.85 Bontrager XR1 a 2.0 would fit, but not much more if you want mud clearance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    So, I picked up the alloy fork. Over 2lbs lighter! Just under 21lbs now.

Pictured tire is a 2.0 MaxxDaddy, so I think the Maxtion would fit...but not much more.