mtbr member
    Aug 2012

20" mtn Bike advise

Looking for a little professional advise on what a good 20" mtn bike would be for a 5/6 year old boy?
    Are there any compact 24" models that might be better? He is large for his age 50" tall and currently riding a 16" giant but only on the road his knees almost hit the handlebars LOL!
    Looking for a non suspension bike with a minimal amount of gears and hand brakes.
    What brand?
    anyone have anything there child grew out of?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Came across the diamondback cobra 20 anyone have experience with one?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Search around this forum and see what you like. Watch Craigslist. Specialized are pretty popular, and easy to find used. They're easy to upgrade with hand-me-down parts too. I'm pretty happy with my daughters older Hotrock after I upgraded most parts on it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    At 50" he's right inbetween most 20 & 24" bikes. Search 24" builds in this forum. Tons of info.

turtles make me hot
    Yeah. I put my son on a 24" wheeled bike this past summer. He was like 51 or 52" and looked huge on his 20" bike.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I'm in the same boat... Mine are about 52" with 21 inch stand over. They're on redline mini's. Really up in the air as to what the best option is. Put them on 20's or step up to 24's . 24's look crazy big. Take a Look at ibex and Scott's

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Taking the cost of replacing in 6-12 months out of the equation...

Given the choice between a little small and a little big, I'd go small, but kids bikes can be a different situation. 24" wheeled rigs are so much more capable, and there are way more quality options out there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by NS-NV View Post
    Taking the cost of replacing in 6-12 months out of the equation...

Given the choice between a little small and a little big, I'd go small, but kids bikes can be a different situation. 24" wheeled rigs are so much more capable, and there are way more quality options out there.

Well... My wife and I dropped the hammer on two Scott spark jr 20's .we watche them ride some low stand over 24s ..... Just to much for their size. They were much more in control on the 20s. I really hate that because one good growth spert could put them in the 24 range in a year..... These bikes were not cheap.

After talking to a Scott tech we decided to go full suspension . They claim the shock rates are in deed set up for 60 pound kids and not just for show. I'll take the 1.5 pound hit for comfort. we live in a rural area with no safe pavement to ride on so All their riding is off road. FYI they only had 6 in the warehouse make that 4. Don't depend on your LBS for info..... they could care less. Ibex is a great choice ( they are local for me ) they pretty much lost a sale due to poor customer response . Spoke to them once..... Could never contact them to iron out delivery dates ,price etc.

I'll re post in a few days when they come in .... Taking the redline minis out today for one last spin....