mtbr member
    Jul 2013

20" Hot Rock Headset

I hope i'm posting this in the right area. The question i have is on my son's 20" hotrock there is a small amount of front-to-back movement from the headset. The bike is an older model i believe is an 04' and it looks to have had plenty of use. I have tighten the stem bolt with no change, could the headset bearing just be worn out? I found headset sets that are inexpensive i figured i would replace it. I am pretty mechanical and feel i could handle it. The bike has a 1 1/8 threadless stem, would any 1 1/8 threadless headset work or is there something else i should be looking at? Is this common on an older well used bike?

Hoping to add this in on the same topic. The front fork is an RST 200k and i'm starting to think it may be in the same state(worn out). Do they make rebuild kits for these forks or taring down and cleaning/oiling be ok? I have just purchased a new brake setup and dont want to dump a lot of money in this bike, but i do think it's a good bike to clean-up. I think he might be on this bike for a year maybe two and just want it reliable as we are just hobby riders.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    You tightened the stem bolt or the bolt that screws into the starnut? Try loosening the stem bolts, then tighten the top bolt to see if the movement goes away, then tighten the stem bolts again.

I can't help you on the fork, but it'd be hard to believe a child could wear out the spring in the fork. It may just need pulled apart and regreased.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks for the input! I don't remember which I tightened before. Does tightening the stem bolts first not allow the starnut to tighten fully?
    I think I'm going to take the bike/fork apart to clean and re-grease everything. The guy I i picked the guy up from said he thought that it was a rental bike at one time. I sure it has been some time sense it was done or if even at all.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    That's right - the stem needs to be free for the top bolt to pull the fork and headset together correctly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I started wrenching on my kids bikes and bought the $99 bike stand from Amazon. That stand has revolutionized my bike maintenance! I'm not sure if you have one or not, but I found it really awkward when I'd try to do this stuff before, holding the wheel between my legs, everything falling over as I reached for a tool. If you have a stand, adjust it so there's just a bit of pressure on the front wheel. Then, like blilrat said, loosen the stem bolts, tighten up the headbolt to where you want it, then tighten the stem again.

Again, I don't think this is your problem, but when I switched forks I found that my headset spacers were about 2mm to large, so that headbolt couldn't get a bite on the star nut.