Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Havok

... and if we just ... 20" Custom Build Project

So after reading about and seeing pictures of all the custom kids bikes. I pretty much have no choice but build my own.

My son is currently on a 16" Scott Voltage Jr. He is 4yo and small for his age. He probably won't be ready for the 20" for a year or two. I've been buying a part each month or so.

This is the bike I started with.
    Name:  cosmo_boys.jpg
Views: 1115
Size:  72.8 KB

Havok
    I got it at a yardsale for $40. Took it right home and stripped all the parts off.

20" Custom Build Project-imag0716.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Good start. Your workshop looks awesome too.

Havok
    Thanks, I spent about 2 years of being more "into" my shop than I was actually riding. No bike upgrades just tools and shop stuff. Now I'm paying more attention to my bikes now that I have all the proper tools.

turtles make me hot
    That's gonna be a cool little bike. I built my son a Gary Fisher Precaliber 20" very much like that.
    The 24" he's on now also started out used. Bought it as a complete, perfect bike and ended up using only the frame.
    I like turtles

Havok
    After I stripped everything off I started hunting for new parts. I've never been keen on the weights of stuff. But it's lots of fun weighing everything and searching for the lightest parts.

20" Custom Build Project-cosmobox.jpg

Havok

Good job!

I busted out some aircraft stripper and stripped all the paint off the frame.

It worked perfectly, I've stripped several frames before, this one was practically effortless.

20" Custom Build Project-talonbareframe.jpg

Next is to send this off to the powdercoater. Might not happen right away but my son has asked for fire engine red.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I like seeing your project thread because we are at the same stage (apart from mine is 16inch). I really must start my own thread - just ordered a pile of bits. The original plan of having it ready next spring/summer has been blown out of the water by my impatience! The bike will be ready before the boy is big enough...

Havok
    I am right there with you. I had planned to do this really slow. My son isn't even turning 5 until December. I wanted this to be for his 6th birthday but I just can't help myself.

I was thinking of re-routing my focus to his 16 inch Scott Voltage jr and do some up grading there too.

20" Custom Build Project-imag0785.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Jordan-
    Got a weight of the bare frame?

Havok
    Yeah the frame weight is 2lb 15oz.

Havok
    Stripped the paint off the rims.

I think I'll send them to the powdercoater with the frame.

20" Custom Build Project-imag0789.jpg

Havok
    Pulled the trigger on some Sinz 135mm cranks. They are a tad longer than I wanted but I got a good deal on them.

20" Custom Build Project-crankssinz.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Did you get ISIS or square taper? By the time he is ready for a 20" frame, I would suspect that 135mm length cranks will be fine and should probably last until you bump him up to a 24" or XS 26" frame.
    One slightly counterintuitive thing I realized when trying to fit kids on bikes is that longer cranks allow for a lower seat height at same leg extension. Kids seem to really want to be able to stretch and reach the ground with their feet while seated/resting, a slightly longer crank helps to accomplish this so can make them more confident about being able to get stopped/started from the saddle.
    One thing that irks me about most 20" frames is that the bottom bracket height is often so high (usually has negative BB drop relative to the hubs), it is almost as-if they used the bottom-bracket height spec of an adult frame meant for 175mm cranks, ignoring that shorter cranks are less suspectible to pedal strike at a lower BB height.

As long as you are powdercoating the frame and rims, might be cool to also powdercoat the crank arms to match.

What are your plans for a 20" fork?

Havok
    I got the Isis.

I think he'll grow a bit too so it should be a good fit.

Good insight about the seat height, I'll remember that.

The fork is my biggest issue right now. I'm really really leaning towards getting this

Name:  !B9cIeeg!2k~$(KGrHqJ,!jQEzL!vE(1sBM5)uzNW5w~~0_12.GIF
Views: 754
Size:  48.5 KB

But it's like $150 so that's the big obstacle.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan300 View Post

The fork is my biggest issue right now. I'm really really leaning towards getting this

But it's like $150 so that's the big obstacle.
    If the expense is a consideration, I really wouldnt bother with this carbon fork. While it has a visual bling attraction, this carbon fork also has a hefty 210 pound rider weight limit and is made to pass current adult DIN standards, subsequetly it weighs 750gr (1.5 pounds)! For comparison, cheaper 700c adult road carbon forks weigh less than 400gr and non-disk aluminum BMX 20" forks can be bought that are much cheaper and weigh only 1 lbd. (see Redline R6 Aluminum Race Fork at Danscomp) You could likely even start with a lightweight CrMo BMX fork and braze-on a disk mount that would produce a lighter disk fork than the carboncycles fork. I suppose the ultimate project would be to DIY build a kiddie capable carbon fork that is <300gr. Probably not something that any mass-manufacturer is going to offer since it would be too fragile for adult weight, big liability.

Havok
    Yeah, I'll start looking in to that. Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Those forks would look really good though...

Havok
    I know, right! I have an internal battle between spending the cash on that fork because it would just complete the bike so well, and going another route that might cost less and look differently from what I how envision it should look like.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have that fork on my son's XS 26er because it can be found in the correct AC and it's got lots of clearance between the legs with a light weight. I justified it, and most of his bike, by selling all sorts of his old baby/little kid stuff on ebay and craigslist. Used that paypal money to get the new fork. Was all "internet money" that was previously justified or gifts over the course of many years.

Havok
    Good Idea! I have tons of stuff I can sell.

(On the plus side, that'll be off my wife's radar)

Havok
    Just got the frame back from the Powdercoater.

It looks amazing.
    I also got the Rims and Brake levers in white. Can't wait to finish.

20&quot; Custom Build Project-20131219_024821.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    nICE!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Looks great - what colour did you have it powder coated in the end.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    That's going to look great when you get it together.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast