Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Havok
    Thanks. The color I got was gloss red. I'm really happy with how it turned out. Now I'm going to start putting it together. Still need to build the wheels. Don't have a rear shifter yet. Also need the fork.

Havok
    I put some of the parts on today. Also got some of the decals on. Tell me what you think.

I also went to a local Bike swap meet. I found some carbon handlebars, and the Red XO 9spd shifter that I had been searching for.

Still haven't pulled the trigger on the fork yet. I took your advice and sold a bunch of stuff on ebay, I have the money to buy it. Just gotta do it.

20" Custom Build Project-imag0893.jpg20" Custom Build Project-imag0892.jpg20" Custom Build Project-imag0891.jpg
    That's just a seat post holding the handlebars on.

Havok
    Just placed the order for the fork. I should have it in a week.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Don't finish it too soon or your son won't be big enough to ride it

Havok
    That couldn't be truer. I try to have him help me with everything when I install it, we have lots of fun in the bike shop. My boys love riding their bikes, I might get a little resistance from him to give up his 16". No matter. It can sit as long as he wants to wait.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20" Custom Build Project-imag0895.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I think that's great that you get him to help. I must admit I do my bike stuff after the kids go to bed. My excuse is that I'm still learning and need the peace and quiet to concentrate. But I will be able to teach them as they grow.

Havok
    OH yeah, most of the real wrenching happens after bedtime. But i'll get him to pump up tires or turn the hex wrenches once the bolts are loose enough. But I did get the fork in the mail. It is absolutely gorgeous. I want it to stay beautiful. I was thinking, I have a big extra piece of this 8mil crankskin material. I might cut it and cover the stanchions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20" Custom Build Project-imag0916.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Oh wow, you got your dream forks

I do have 13 year old as well who does help - we will be building him a bike next...

Havok
    Yeah, it took a lot of effort to click that button and order it. I sat at my computer for quite a while before I took a deep breath and pulled the trigger. It helped that BME107 told me to sell some random stuff on eBay to raise the money. That totally did it for me.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Is your wheel tensioned yet? From the picture, it looks like the rim is far off-center from the fork, needs more tension on the disk-side spokes, get the rim centered between the fork blades.

Havok
    No, Not tensioned yet. I actually brought the bike to work with me today and just dropped it off at my LBS down the street to have them tension the wheels and cut the steerer tube for me. It was very cool seeing the shop guys reactions to it. They'll call me once it's finished. Then I'll put the tires on and it's done.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan300 View Post
    Yeah, it took a lot of effort to click that button and order it. I sat at my computer for quite a while before I took a deep breath and pulled the trigger. It helped that BME107 told me to sell some random stuff on eBay to raise the money. That totally did it for me.
    Out with the old and in with the new! We just did a massive pre-chirstmas purge of old toys and I've got 6 listings up right now, with more in the cue. Also in the last 3 weeks I've sold a 16" Fuji and Trek trail-a-bike on CL. By spring I plan on getting that 20" fork for my daughter.

For my son I just wrapped the legs with black electrical tape so he didn't tear up the CF. Not pretty, but it's been working since August. My daughter wants more color on her black bike so I realized that Plati-dip would be the perfect solution. Rubberized, spray on at home, easily removed protection. Comes in lots of colors.

Crankskins would probably work. There is also that clear 3M plastic sheeting you apply to cars to protect from stones/bugs.

Havok
    Here we go. 18lbs 15oz
    20" Custom Build Project-dsc03976.jpg20" Custom Build Project-dsc03977.jpg20" Custom Build Project-dsc03982.jpg20" Custom Build Project-dsc03980.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Very nice!!!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Big transformation from start to finish, the low spoke count wheels came out looking great.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Brilliant!

Havok
    He is definitely too small for it yet. He looks really stretched out on it. So I guess he'll keep riding his 16" for a while longer.

He really loves it though.

Havok
    My buddy asked me why I put the specialized sticker on it. I figured I'd post it here too. My son had to have a bike like "just like Daddy's" He was super stoked when the stickers arrived.

mtbr member
    Awesome thing about that build is in a month when he suddenly is too big for it you have a ton of good parts (hubs, brakes, mech, cassette, bars and what not) to swap to a bigger frame.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosCelt View Post
    Awesome thing about that build is in a month when he suddenly is too big for it you have a ton of good parts (hubs, brakes, mech, cassette, bars and what not) to swap to a bigger frame.
    Problem is that so much time gets invested in sourcing all the components and putting them together, if you just part out the bike when the kid has outgrown then you loose all the added value of having built the wheels, picking and assembling all the components. It would be nice to keep a customized bike functional and find someone that appreciates the complete bike and is willing to pay for the added value rather than parting out, otherwise it just reverts to being another $50 used frame.

mtbr member
    I could see that point as well, but depending on what parts you got for the build it makes the cost of upgrading to a larger bike much easier to handle. That and if he's anything like me there is still the box of original parts.

Havok
    Yeah I'll be able to reuse this for my youngest once he grows out of it, then my niece if she shows any interest. But then I'd much rather find someone who can appreciate all that I've put into this project.

CJH
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan300 View Post
    He is definitely too small for it yet. He looks really stretched out on it. So I guess he'll keep riding his 16" for a while longer.

He really loves it though.
    If you have a moment can you measure the effective/horizontal top tube? I found one for sale but it's too far away for me to go measure without being fairly certain I want it. Have a few lingering questions in my head.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    That's gonna be a cool little bike. I built my son a Gary Fisher Precaliber 20" very much like that.
    The 24" he's on now also started out used. Bought it as a complete, perfect bike and ended up using only the frame.
    Same question for you. Do you know or can you measure the horizontal top tube?

Thanks.

Havok
    1. So it's been about 6 months since I finished building this. He started riding it this week. He really likes it.

20" Custom Build Project-imag1109.jpg

turtles make me hot
    Awesome.
    I like turtles

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast