mtbr member
    Sep 2010

20" bike options - opinions please

My daughter has outgrown her 16" Opus Glitter so I am looking to get her a rigid fork, geared 20". I'm hoping to find something on the lighter range in the heavy kids bike world. Isbabikes are out as they won't/can't ship to Canada yet (and only have the bikes in red anyway, and my kid hates red, but likes the blue or the pink on the UK site ). The Opus Nix is unfortunately out as we no longer have an Opus dealer. I could get it shipped from another province for a shipping cost of $100, but my kid isn't a fan of the colouring or logos on it anyway so not sure spending that on getting it here is wise. And also nowhere to get warranty work done if I should need it.

So I think I'm down to these as my final choices (either I have to have a LBS order in for me):

Cannondale Street 20
    Specialized Hotrock 20 Street

I'm leaning Cannondale as a bike shop in another province weighed it for me at 21.14# (might be with reflectors and kickstand) and I think the Specialized is heavier? I'm only finding weights of the Specialized version with shocks so if anyone has further info on the Street version's weight, I'd appreciate it.

Bikes, I think I've excluded but have available without having to order:

Kona Makena
    Trek MT60
    Radius/Apollo Neo 20
    Giant Areva 20

Looks like the Spawn Savage 1.0 is another I have access to as they ship. But yikes, it's $600...and my kid is a reserved, non-daring rider (it's her personality so don't think it's going to change any time soon) and she's happy just riding casually along the paved trails while we tow her little sister in the Chariot. I'm not sure she'll be wowed with the look either. She prefers bikes that look more childish still.

I want her to want to ride which is why I'd prefer she likes the look of the bike and is happy with the colour.

Advice and opinions welcome!

Birdman aka JMJ
    I recently acquired a lightly used Kona Makena for my 6YO daughter. I swapped out the steel seatpost, stem, & handlebar with leftover carbon/aluminum parts and pulled a full pound off the bike for the price of a new stem.

2011 Kona Makena

I'm tempted to get a rigid aluminum or steel 20" fork for it, since the Spinner fork on it weighs so much and isn't really needed. Other than that, it's a nice bike.

With respect to your choices, I'd lean towards the Specialized. FWIW, the Kona and Specialized frames are virtually identical, as far as I can tell.

JMJ

CJH
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenMAUW View Post

I'm down to these as my final choices (either I have to have a LBS order in for me):

Cannondale Street 20
    Specialized Hotrock 20 Street

I'm leaning Cannondale as a bike shop in another province weighed it for me at 21.14# (might be with reflectors and kickstand) and I think the Specialized is heavier? I'm only finding weights of the Specialized version with shocks so if anyone has further info on the Street version's weight, I'd appreciate it.
    I saw your PM and your reply to the other thread but I thought I'd post here. Our shop decided to not establish an account with Cannondale so they had to cancel our order for the Cannondale Street 20. There is another shop we could order one from but we thought we'd look over our options first.

Here is an article that reviews various 20" wheeled kids bikes.

Best kids' bikes: 20in girls' and boys' bikes - BikeRadar

They only test the suspended versions of the Cannondale and Specialized but the Specialized is still nearly two pounds heavier. Normally I would assume that weight difference would transfer over to the rigid models, albeit overall lighter by maybe 3-4 lbs, but the Specialized you linked to looks quite different from the Specialized in the article. Might be worth comparing specs and see if the two Specialized models at least have similar components.

Have you thought about "painting" a bike with Plasti-dip? There are several examples of this online and you can peel it off down the road. That would open up many used bikes, perhaps, or also the Trek Superfly that there is a separate thread about.

Another option is putting a rigid fork on a suspended model. Personally I'd prefer to paint a bike vs spending extra money to find a rigid fork that may affect the handling of a bike designed for a suspension fork.

CJH
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Actually that article mentions the Specialized you linked to. My bad.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks CJH for the article. I thought I had read that last night but realized now I was on the UK version. After reading the US, I see several of the bikes on my list are covered. And the AU version had the Neo so I got more info on it.

I've now ruled out the specialized just because they mention a few things about it not being geared as well to smaller kids and mine is on the smaller side for her age. It sounds like the geometry of the Cannondale will be better suited for her.

From what's on my list, I'm fairly certain that the Cannondale is the best choice for us. The Trek Superfly wasn't on my list, but I'm going to give it another look. My shop would have to order it as it's not in stock. I'll show it to my daughter and see if I can convince her on red. If I can't, then like you said, plasti-dipping could be an option, or not going to that work and just taking the extra weight of the Cannondale. I can say that we'll probably end up with the Cannondale. Our project time is almost non-existent. I've got a new job with no vacation time yet and more kids that take up the evenings and weekends getting chauffeured to activities. I can get us all out riding quicker if I order in the Cannondale, since she already likes the colours of the bike.

I appreciate the responses everyone. Too bad Islabikes couldn't get their shipping to Canada worked out. I had wanted their balance bike prior to Christmas and I wasn't able to get that either.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    CJH, did you decide on a bike yet? If so, what did you purchase?

Birdman, lucky for you finding a deal on a great bike! Our Kijiji around here bites. I don't think I've ever seen a quality kids' bike on ours. All from the big box stores and usually very old. I swear I don't know how the bike stores here sell any kids bikes as it doesn't seem like people actually buy quality ones around here!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    If you were interested in a singlespeed, the Cleary Bikes 20" Owl looks interesting at only 17 pounds. I haven't seen one in real life though. I'm eyeing their 16" model.

Cheapo
    Doesn't come out until August and it's not proven yet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    That Cleary Owl is nice looking! She'd like the blue. I can't see us being able to wait until August though. She's getting close to 8 and her 16" wasn't great for at least half of last summer because she'd just pedal like a maniac and go nowhere trying to keep up to us.

I hadn't really considered a single speed before because all the other 20" single speeds had coaster brakes and this kid does very poorly with a coaster brake. She's been using a hand brake since she was 3 (her balance bike had one), so will only use the hand brake on her 16" and the coaster just gets in her way. Too bad that Clearly wasn't out sooner!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    If she mostly likes pavement you might consider a lightweight cyclocross bike like the Redline Conquest 20.

2014 Conquest 20 | Redline Bicycles

Full disclosure: I know nothing about bikes. I am just in the process of shopping for something lightweight.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    You might also check out the Frog bikes. Nice and lightweight, even with the 55 pound shipping cost from the UK to Canada added, it is cheaper than the Spawn by a good measure. Also comes in a variety of colors.

Hybrid Bikes | Frog Bikes

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Amom View Post
    You might also check out the Frog bikes. Nice and lightweight, even with the 55 pound shipping cost from the UK to Canada added, it is cheaper than the Spawn by a good measure. Also comes in a variety of colors.

Hybrid Bikes | Frog Bikes
    Well why did you show me those? So cute! That Spotty Frog 55 is awesome! I did the conversion and it's $564 and that assumes I don't get dinged duty and brokerage fees which is unlikely depending on their shipping method. Tax I'll get charged for sure, but that's no different than any bike here.

I'll put them in my list then do some investigation into their shipping method.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Ouch. Sorry about that. At that price, maybe the Spawn Savage is looking better. I do agree the spots are cute though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I ended up ordering the Cannondale Street 20. Cross your fingers for me that the order process goes smoothly and it shows up in a timely fashion!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Looks like a great bike. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Amom View Post
    Looks like a great bike. Good luck!
    Ha, I had to cancel the order as now I found out she needs a 24"! Now I'm back to square one with research!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Ha! At least you found out before it was too late. Good luck!