Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Cheapo

16" freewheel options - ways to do it?

I'm looking to break some laws here. Actually, I vow not to let these be ridden on sidewalks, so they are no longer a sidewalk bike. I want a 16" freewheel.

What are my options? I hear of people saying "Just disengage or throw some washers or remove the shoes" in the hub. I hear that something can loosen up when this is done and bad things can happen. I don't know though.

The Hotrock 16 has a 28-spoke rear wheel. Could I re-lace it with a 28-hole freewheel hub? Looks expensive for the hub. Does anyone sell such a thing already built? Or is there a known 28-spoke freewheel hub decently priced to use that I could re-lace?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    We've had a couple of Haro 16" BMX bikes with freewheels.
    You might just be best off hunting down a used one.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Cheapo
    Yeah I would think something already build would be the easier and cheaper way to go. Google wasn't giving me much luck, so I tried eBay.

Something like this?

Wheel Master Wheel Rear 16x1 75 SF Freewheel | eBay

MSHBKS 16" Kids Bicycle Wheel Single Rear | eBay

mtbr member

16" freewheel options - ways to do it?

FMF PowerMoto BMX Flip Flop 28h Hubset Mini Expert Jr

I built 16" and 12" wheels with these hubs and stock rims.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I think these bikes are for trail and not sidewalk use...

http://clearybikes.com/products/hedgehog-Other balance-bike

I'm eyeing this in orange. Not on their website, but I think they are selling them in orange too.

Other than that, the Spawn Banshee import from Canada is what I am probably buying due to timing.

Cheapo
    Oh...I meant just the wheel itself.

I'll check out that FMF thank you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Sorry. Driving myself crazy looking at different forums online and thinking in circles...

I think I remember reading in their FAQ that Spawn also sells all the parts for their bikes. It might be worth sending them an email to see if they have what you need.

I don't know anything about building a bike, so I am now going to slink off in shame for 2 minutes in the box.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    If you order a 16" wheel, ask the seller what size the wheel is first. There are 2 sizes of 16" wheel, and you want the one that fits your tires/tubes.

Cheapo
    What are the 2 sizes?

Who knew this would be so difficult? I contacted Brian @ lil shredder about a disc set and the price was way out of reach. It would be awesome if the FMF was available but it seems it is not.

There are few options I swear were not on Ebay last week? These look like they would work.
    Limited Edition TNT Bicycles BMX Derringer Hubset 28h Blue New Free EXTRAS | eBay

mtbr member
    New Ringle Sun Light Rear BMX Hub 32 Hole | eBay

I have been down this route. There are no off the shelf wheels available. Anything you want has to be custom unless you could get Spawn to sell you one of their wheels.

I used the FMF hubs to replace the stock Spawn rear as it only had the metric threads for max 16t on rear. My girls need more gear than that to climb up trails. The hub above is flip flop so it has both metric and english so you can run just about any gear on the back including the 3 speed setup i have done on the Spawn.

You should be able to reuse the rim and hopefully the spokes.

Just realized this is a 32 hole hub even thou i had selected 28h in the ebay search...hunt continues

If I were to use a different rim where would I look? Sorry Dave....don't mean to hijack.

Also would that hubset I posted work? Most look to be a 100mm front 110mm rear.

mtbr member
    Those TNT hubs would work

mtbr member
    For all those doing this....ideally you would be able to get the actual specs on the hub including flange diameter. Then you should measure the flange diameter of the stock hub to make sure the spokes will be the correct length. Note that some hubs have different flange diameters for drive side and non drive side.

Cheapo
    Is there no market for this, or are we just that "different"? I can't believe there is nothing off-the-shelf for this.

Obviously most people just buy crap bikes. You would think though, that there would be thousands of us that want something more for their kids. I am going to try those TNT hubs. The guy has not gotten back to me about flange diameter.

What I really want is a disc option. I can do just about anything on my bike but I have never built a wheel. I guess its time to learn. My son just turned three a few weeks ago. He kicks ass on his Strider but the Hotrock 16" is still too big. I figured I would slowly build him a Demo9 style mod with a spinner air fork and weld disc tabs on back. I thought finding disc hubs would be no problem? I guess now I will buy the bolt on v-brake boss for the back and disc for the front. The 110mm front disc hub seems available.

mtbr member
    16" front disc wheels can be bought here

Call to order. OSET Bikes

I am about ready to buy one for my 4 year old's spawn banshee that I have put the spinner fork on. As the spinner is a 20" fork you cant run the vbrakes, so disc is the easiest option.

No such luck with their rear wheels

None of this stuff is out there because there are maybe only 1 or 2 16" non coaster bikes available in the US

mtbr member

Thanks for the info! I checked out the OSET wheels after looking at the trials build that was on here. I have not called, but would be curious what the shipping to the states would be? If I recall correctly I remember that guy saying the wheels were roughly the same weight as stock. I would love to lose some rotating weight. Obviously with what's available, I can't be that picky.

Here is all the info on the TNT hubs.

FULL SPECS

Low-flange race hubs available in 28H or 36H with 3/8" chromoly axles, precision sealed bearings and laser-etched TNT logos. Flip/flop rear hub design allows the use of 13 - 20T freewheels. Aluminum Axle Nuts, Aluminum Collars, Steel Washers. Weight = 16.00 oz/set

FRONT HUB DETAILS:
    1. Flange Size (Diameter) = 37.50mm, (measured from center to center of spoke hole)
    2. Flange Distance = 66.82mm, (measured from center of flange to center of flange)
    3. Center of Hub to Center of Flange = 33.41mm
    4. Axle Length = 150mm (Chromolly Axle) (3/8" x 26tpi)
    5. Hub Spacing = 100mm (to fit between dropouts)

REAR HUB DETAILS:
    1. Flange Size (Diameter) = 45.06mm, (measured from center to center of spoke hole)
    2. Flange Distance = 54.12mm, (measured from center of flange to center of flange)
    3. Center of Hub to Center of Flange = 27.06mm
    4. Axle Length = 160mm (Chromolly Axle) (3/8" x 26tpi)
    5. Hub Spacing = 110mm (to fit between dropouts)

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I kinda just went thru this too. Well actually am still going through it.

My main motivation is trying to get a decent brake and get the freewheel.

After searching a lot of options, I finally decided "hey this is a bike for a 4 year old" and went with one of the less expensive options:

Ebay complete rear wheel with freewheel hub (~40 shipped)
    Freewheel (15 shipped)
    V Brake adaptor plate from Dans Comp (25)
    I happened to have a set of cheapo V brakes around

I've installed the brakes and those are working good.

There are some other options, the bolt on V brake adaptors from Georgia at 60 bucks, and disk brake options - but with the disk brake options, the only realy way to get a rear hub that works (short of being a machinist) is a whole wheel through Oset at around 50 or 60 bucks shipped easy, plus a 45 dollar adaptor plate, plus the cost of the actual brake.

Anyway, you aren't alone in your pain and it's really easy to make this upgrade REALLY expensive but really effective, but I have to wonder if a 4 year old is really going to get the value out of the more expensive options...

I wrote to Oset and here is what they have written back:

I think that the front wheel will work for you, but not sure about the rear? Does the hotrock bike have gears? The rear hub is 5" across at the bearing lock-nuts and has a six-hole hub for a single sprocket. The rear axle length is 6.5" and could accommodate frame dropouts 5+". You may have to modify the rear, or look for something else...

5" is 127mm that is not going to cut it on the Hotrock.

I had not seen the adaptor plate from Dan's comp. I just took a quick look and all I see is a 20" option. Is that what you have and/or does it work.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast