Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bikin222 View Post
    I had not seen the adaptor plate from Dan's comp. I just took a quick look and all I see is a 20" option. Is that what you have and/or does it work.
    The distance is relative to the caliper brake mounting hole so it'd work on any size wheel.

It's heavy and not as elegant a solution as other approaches. It is plenty stiff for a 4 year old, even without attaching it to the frame (it includes the hardware to do so). So it is functional (serves the purpose of improving brake performance) but lacks the bling or wow factor that disk brakes or other v brake mounts might have.

I think disk brakes are the ideal solution due to the ease of pressure at the lever (corresponding to braking power). The buy in is just so tough to swallow for a bike for a 4 year old!

CJH
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Garasaki View Post
    After searching a lot of options, I finally decided "hey this is a bike for a 4 year old" and went with one of the less expensive options:

Ebay complete rear wheel with freewheel hub (~40 shipped)
    Freewheel (15 shipped)
    V Brake adaptor plate from Dans Comp (25)
    Can you post a picture of that adapter plate from Dan's Comp installed on your kids bike?

Here is the link for anyone interested:

https://www.danscomp.com/products/48...ake_Plate.html

Quote Originally Posted by Garasaki View Post
    With the disk brake options, the only realy way to get a rear hub that works (short of being a machinist) is a whole wheel through Oset at around 50 or 60 bucks shipped easy, plus a 45 dollar adaptor plate, plus the cost of the actual brake.
    What adapter plate are your talking about here? Like some of the bolt on disc brake mounts?

Oh, ok. Thanks for the info! I would love to see a picture if you have the time.

The main reason I wanted to go for disc is the easy lever squeeze. I have so much old crap lying around it would not be that expensive but the hub thing is killing me. I am not a wheelbuilder or a machinist but wouldn't this work for the rear?

This flip/flop hub
    Formula BMX Rear Hub Mini Junior Flip Flop Hub 3 8" Axle 28 Hole Black HB26 | eBay

With this disc adaptor
    E Bike Double Hub Lock Nut Φ48MM Thread Disc Brake Rotor Adaptor Mount Left | eBay

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Here is a link to the $45 disk brake adaptor

A2z Components, A2z Disc Brake Adapters, A2z Adapters

But yeah, getting the rear hub to mount a disk on is complicated.

Here is my son's bike, with the V brake adaptor from Dan's.

There is a slot on each side, you can see it here, where you are supposed to attach the adaptor to the frame via hose clamps. My "custom" paint job is delicate, and I didn't think it was really necessary considering the lack of power in a pair of 4 year old hands, so I haven't bothered yet.

Interesting story - I have 3 kids. This bike was a hand me down from my 7 yo daughter. When I made the hand down, I got a 20" hotrock for my daughter, which comes with v brakes stock. The first words out of her mouth, the first time she rode the 20" bike was "wow I like these brakes A LOT better!"

I think manaufacturer's of bikes this size are really underestimating how important those brakes are to kids.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Impressed with your reply from Oset. I got something along the lines of "We like to only sell our wheels to our real customers"

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I left the sidepull brake on the rear of my son's bike, and upgraded the front to vbrake. Works a treat as he only really uses the front so has very good control.

Thanks for the pics. If I end up with v-brakes that doesn't look to bad.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Just ordered a "USDM" Cnoc 14 (as opposed to the UK version with rear v-brake). I've ordered the V-brake adapter from Dans Comp and the Tektro 316AG brake lever - I've got v-brake calipers in the parts bin...

Having never really dealt with a coaster brake before, I thought I'd be able to simply remove the brake arm and have it effectively freewheel but now, I'm realizing that's probably not the case? Short of buying a new hub, what are my options with regards to disabling the coaster brake?

CJH
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by slabber View Post
    Having never really dealt with a coaster brake before, I thought I'd be able to simply remove the brake arm and have it effectively freewheel but now, I'm realizing that's probably not the case? Short of buying a new hub, what are my options with regards to disabling the coaster brake?
    You have to remove the brake pads inside of the hub as well and then fill that space with washers or something.

If you google freecoaster you can get more ideas.

My shop gave me an old wheel to practice on before I tore into my son's Hotrock. I haven't tried it yet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2