mtbr member
    Aug 2013

16" bike gearing?

When I built my son's bike I used a 22 tooth chainring and struggled to decide between the 18t and 16t freewheel.

I went for the 16t, but somehow forgot until today that I had (I had to go and count it
    )
    , and was thinking I had gone for the 18t version (I know, I know, I must have remembered at the time, but then went and forgot...)

So, I'm still having to push him up hills, and was thinking about going for a 22t freewheel. Now I have remembered it is only 16 tooth, do I go for 18,20 or 22?

18 is cheaper...

So for more info 16 inch wheels with 2.25 tyres on. 89mm cranks. Small 3 year old rider, lots of hills to get up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I've gone for the 22...

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    First thoughts on the 22 is that it is too low a gear. He has only had a very quick ride on it but he was spinning out very quickly and struggled to stand and pedal./ I haven't tried it on hills yet, so we'll see!

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    i tried 22x14 for my daughter and it was hard for her to go fast enough to be stable, especially since pedaling that fast led to instability.

i settled on the taller end of the spectrum and just push her up the hills we dont walk.

but her strength has developed FAST.

shes on a banshee w 28x18 now.
    crap! i gotta learn to climb.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks, swapping back to 16 I think as soon as my freewheel remover arrives (yes had to buy a different one specially for the 22t tooth...)

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    i hear that. i actually need to get one for the 14t.

dont tell anyone, but i just used a hammer and a flathead screwdriver.

you could give it a coupla slight hits and if it dont budge then at least you tried.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    The thing is he should be plenty strong enough - has been riding a pedal bike with no training wheels for almost 18 months, rides almost everyday, and has calf muscles like I've never seen on a three year old! The bike is light as well, 15lbs.

I do wonder sometimes if his problems up hills are more of the "If I whinge my mum will push me!" variety than the physical difficulty...

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ilmfat View Post
    i hear that. i actually need to get one for the 14t.

dont tell anyone, but i just used a hammer and a flathead screwdriver.

you could give it a coupla slight hits and if it dont budge then at least you tried.
    It should arrive soon, but if not I'll maybe try your method...

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    my 3 year old is like that too.

she learned to be super tough and keep trying and eventually got the hang of turning around in our driveway. my sister's kids came over and i told her to show them and she didnt push off, so of course she fell, and instantly was crying and whining.

i got her good bmx pads, so i know she doesnt get hurt when she falls. she just likes the sympathy.

i put an 18t on when i took the 7spd off my 5 year olds hotrock 20 and figured i wouldnt be able to get it off, since it never slipped or anything. one light tap and it broke. the 14t that spawn installed on the banshee took a lil more pressure, but i was surprised it broke free so easily.