Mtbr's 2016 Winter Biking GearReviews and Roundups

FAT BIKES

WINTER APPAREL

TRAINERS

2 wheel drifter

14" bike gearing recomendation

The little one is graduating to a real bike this Christmas and it's going to be a Spawn Furi. The gearing is 26x14. Does anyone have any experience on how hard it is to push this gear for a ~30lb 3 year old? Obviously he's not riding anything crazy but I don't want him pushing his bike up every rise on the trails.

I can swap out the front ring pretty easily as it is a 64 bcd - so any insight would be appreciated before I stash this under the tree.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    IME, they pretty much push up anything their momentum plus a few pedal strokes can't get them up regardless of gearing. If anything, taller gearing is better since they can carry more speed into stuff. That said, it certainly wouldn't hurt to pick up a cheap 22t ring. 22x14 is pretty much the same as the 25x16 Cleary ships the Hedgehogs with.

2 wheel drifter
    Always good to have a backup plan but I think I'll go the opposite direction - put on the 22 and keep the stock 26 as a just in case. At the very least it will help me keep up when we walk the dog at night.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by RMCDan View Post
    22x14 is pretty much the same as the 25x16 Cleary ships the Hedgehogs with.
    The Hedgehog has 16" wheels. The same ratio between the chainring and the cog gives a higher gear if you have a bigger wheel. The Furi has a smaller 14" wheel.

I wouldn't change the original gearing that much (26->22). You can consider a 24T chainring, but I think 22T will create a very slow bike.

My kid, BTW, rides a Hedgehog (he's almost 5). Our trick for the uphills: I ride next to him, and help him by pushing him from his upper back, using my right hand. We've been doing this for a long time; he's rides swiftly along with me, and used to occasional "decoupling" before a lamp post, than "re-docking" to the mothership.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by oren_hershco View Post
    The Hedgehog has 16" wheels. The same ratio between the chainring and the cog gives a higher gear if you have a bigger wheel. The Furi has a smaller 14" wheel.

I wouldn't change the original gearing that much (26->22). You can consider a 24T chainring, but I think 22T will create a very slow bike.

My kid, BTW, rides a Hedgehog (he's almost 5). Our trick for the uphills: I ride next to him, and help him by pushing him from his upper back, using my right hand. We've been doing this for a long time; he's rides swiftly along with me, and used to occasional "decoupling" before a lamp post, than "re-docking" to the mothership.
    Hey Oren, I do that with my kid, but just recently started doing long downhills and then towing him to the top. I did it yesterday using 2 inner tubes, but I think I am gonna try this:
    Adventure Racing Tow Systems | 180 Adventure
    I get a good work out towing him.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by oren_hershco View Post

I understand how gear inches work Just pointing out that 22x14 is not absurdly low. Hell, my son's 12" bike was geared 26x16 and it seemed just about right for that age/size.

Quote Originally Posted by mossterioso View Post
    Hey Oren, I do that with my kid, but just recently started doing long downhills and then towing him to the top. I did it yesterday using 2 inner tubes, but I think I am gonna try this:
    Adventure Racing Tow Systems | 180 Adventure
    I get a good work out towing him.
    Here's my tow setup:

This bungee dog leash, size M
    Ruffwear Roamer Leash - Dog Packs & Accessories | Backcountry.com

I modded the leash slightly by removing the leash clip and adding a couple quality carabiners that I cannibalized from an old quickdraw. I made an attachment for his bike using three of those XXL zip ties. Two of them go around the top and bottom of the head tube, and the third runs vertically between them. I can post a pic if interested. On my bike I just clip in to one of my seat rails.

There are a number of these bungee-inside-webbing dog leashes out there, but I like this one because the length is adjustable and the ends are already looped for easy biner attachment. IMO, they're the best compromise between shock dampening and safety since the webbing puts a limit on the stretch. Just using surgical tubing or bungee cord is a bit sketchy since they can overstretch and load up enough energy that a failure could be dangerous.
    Last edited by RMCDan; 11-16-2015 at 03:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by RMCDan View Post
    I can post a pic if interested. On my bike I just clip in to one of my seat rails.
    Please post some pics. I've never tried any towing method. Might be useful on longer trips.

2 wheel drifter
    This tow concept sounds great - I assume this works best on longer gradual uphills? And pics please!