mtbr member

12 in hotrock pedal stripped

LIke the title says, the crankarm is stripped. What are my options here? Is looks like its 1/2 way stripped. Can I buy just a crank arm? Just the crank? How hard is it to replace?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Take it in to the bike shop and they should be able to fix you up right away

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Pretty common problem on all bikes. They'll drill it out and put in a helicoil.

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    buy a junk used bike for $5, take off the pedals, undo the lock nut on the non-drive side, remove the keyed washer, unthread the adjusting cone, slip the crank out. Do this to both bikes, put the servicable crank in the good bike, and be on your way...

Easy easy. Good time to let you kid get their fingers dirty and repack some bearings. All you'll likely need is an adjustable crescent wrench.

Only gotcha may be if the chainring is a different size and the wheel can't slide enough to take up the slack. You'll need a hooked spanner to undo the fixed cone to swap the chainring.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Another way to takle the problem...

JB Weld

I had a similar problem on my son's Smart Cycle (not really a bicycle, but similar and crank is not replaceable) SMART CYCLEŽ Racer with a 3D RACING GAME

I just used JB Weld to "weld" the pedal into the crank arm, just make sure not to get any on the pedal or axle near the pedal or it won't spin any more. Took less than $5 and 5 min with absolutely no real skills or tools necessary.

-RW