mtbr member

06 Hardrock sport for a 11 year old

I bought my girlfriends son a 2007 hardrock sport size small 26" wheels and v-brakes. He beat the snot out of his dick sport goods bike and was ready for a real bike. I purchased the bike on CL and got an great deal $170.

The problem we have having is that this bike is as heavy as sin! Just under 32 lbs with the kickstand . He is just around 5 foot tall and 117 lbs and growing.
    I'm in the process of learning to build a set of wheels and I am building a set for his bike and expect a little weight loss from there.
    I'm just trying to get ideas as how how to lighten up his bike w/o breaking the bank.
    I was thinking wheels( that ill build) a fork ( used eBay) and new tires(pricepoint)

Wheels will probably lose a 400 grams if I can't figure how to build em!

Thinking of replacing the current 100mm fork with an 80mm air that is 1100grams lighter that the tank on there now a rst gilla

The tires are 26x2.2 and weight over 700 grams for each tire. Found a set of tires 2.1 front and 1.9 rear that are a combined 980 grams saving 450 grams

In total a weight loss of just over 4lbs
    Theoretically the bike would weight just under 28lbs.

How does that compare to other kids bike? I know it's a heavier because its an adults bike. I just want to see what other have for insight.

He enjoys biking and going riding trails with me and his mother. I want to make his bike easier to Handle to help him enjoy it that much more this coming spring summer and fall.

Sorry for the this huge write up!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ksousa81 View Post
    I bought my girlfriends son a 2007 hardrock sport size small 26" wheels and v-brakes. He beat the snot out of his dick sport goods bike and was ready for a real bike. I purchased the bike on CL and got an great deal $170.

The problem we have having is that this bike is as heavy as sin! Just under 32 lbs with the kickstand . He is just around 5 foot tall and 117 lbs and growing.
    I'm in the process of learning to build a set of wheels and I am building a set for his bike and expect a little weight loss from there.
    I'm just trying to get ideas as how how to lighten up his bike w/o breaking the bank.
    I was thinking wheels( that ill build) a fork ( used eBay) and new tires(pricepoint)

Wheels will probably lose a 400 grams if I can't figure how to build em!

Thinking of replacing the current 100mm fork with an 80mm air that is 1100grams lighter that the tank on there now a rst gilla

The tires are 26x2.2 and weight over 700 grams for each tire. Found a set of tires 2.1 front and 1.9 rear that are a combined 980 grams saving 450 grams

In total a weight loss of just over 4lbs
    Theoretically the bike would weight just under 28lbs.

How does that compare to other kids bike? I know it's a heavier because its an adults bike. I just want to see what other have for insight.

He enjoys biking and going riding trails with me and his mother. I want to make his bike easier to Handle to help him enjoy it that much more this coming spring summer and fall.

Sorry for the this huge write up!

not one person has an opinion?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    It usually takes one post to get the ball rolling.

I got a 9 year old daughter and I just bought her a new Myka and it was around 30 pounds.

I replaced the steel handle bars with a carbon monkey bar, replaced the seat post with a Q2 carbon one, replaced the seat with a fancy Selle Italian lightweight one, and bought a used Sid air fork. I also replaced the pedals with Wellgo WR1 pedals and bought a Tweet Tweet 50mm stem. I have not got it all together, but figure I should save around 4 to 5 pounds, which would be great. Oh and I even cut off the large, third ring, because she will never need it.

I think that is about it.

Losing 4 pounds on your bike sounds great!

Bill
    Last edited by Billinsd; 02-01-2013 at 06:25 PM.

mtbr member
    K, I think I would give him the bike before making too many upgrades. He will LOVE the new bike and not complain, at least for a while. When he gets bored with it or you need a "carrot" add something then. Tires are a good place to start, and dump the kickstand/reflectors.

If you do most of the other upgrades, you will get by cheaper just buying a better bike. He will outgrow it very soon.
    Please visit my bike blog! And if you click a few banner ads, I wouldn't complain!
    http://realworldbiking.blogspot.com

mtbr member

06 Hardrock sport for a 11 year old

He's already been riding the bike for about 9 months. It was only after I built his mom a hardtail 29er did we notice that his bike was heavier than hers!
    I'm trying to keep all the upgrading on a tight budget..
    He rides on the street from time to time with his mom and his friends so the reflectors have to stay on... The kickstand I will work with him see if we can get rid of it.