mtbr member
    Mar 2013

03' Specialized Hardrock

Think i may have found a deal on CL. I found an 03 Specialized Hardrock for 30$ and wanted to get it for my 11 year old. Hes 5'1 and about 130lbs.

This would be an upgrade from his 01' 24" trek which ill hand down to my 7 year old daughter.

Anything exceptionally wrong with this bike that i should look out for, I plan on doing all the maintenance myself so I can practice for some repairs on my bike in the future.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I don't think there's anything inherrantly wrong with a Specialized Hardrock. Speciallized is a reputable company and the Hardrock is a pretty basic no-nonsense hardtail. It could be a deal, or it could be a guy just wanting to unload it because its got some issue he doesn't want to deal with. Just look it over real good for the usual used bike stuff - cracks in the frame, worn-out parts, etc. There's like a hundred different "used bike buying guides" out there, if you want to google it.

If there's a problem with the frame, forget it. Bike company's don't extend warranties to non-original buyers, so you wouldn't be able to get it replaced. If there's a few parts to replace and/or it has some deferred maintenance (particularly on the fork), then its just a matter of how much of a "fixer uper" you're willing to deal with. Expect to at least replace the tires, maybe the grips too. You'll probably want to overhaul the hubs and headset, as those are the sort of thing that a lot of people don't keep up the maintenance on. And then there's the fork. Depending on how babied or abused the bike was, the fork could be fine or totally shot. I'm not much of a suspension fork expert, but I suppose you should at least make sure the suspension action is smooth. A fork that old (assuming its original) might be hard to service, if the manufacturer discounted the service kits for it. It might be easier (and possibly cheaper) to replace it. If your son mainly rides on the road and smooth trails, a rigid fork would actually be an upgrade.
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er

Havok
    Bring a magnet with you when you go to see it. I'll help you figure out how much of it is steel or aluminum.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    It should be aluminum, according to Bikepedia. At least, if it really is a 2003 Speciallized Hardrock.
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er

Havok
    Yeah you're right. Sorry, I was thinking Hotrock.