mtbr member

Wreckoning vs. Enduro 29

I'm guessing this may be a popular comparison and I am in this boat myself. Who has good comparisons on the Wreckoning and an Enduro 29? I know I've seen a bit here and there through various threads but it would help to compile the evidence.

I am on an XL aluminum E29. 6'3" 230lb. The E29 feels a bit too short in the wheelbase, reach, and stack...and is too long in the seat tube to run a 150mm dropper. I'm thinking the geo on the Wreckoning is made to order. I would most likely order it with the Monarch Plus unless there is compelling evidence for the Vivid. I will use it as an all purpose trail bike built to excel in Moab and the Colorado front range. The E29 does this very well and is not "too much bike" for my use. The Wreckoning may replace the E29 and a RIP 9 RDO so it needs to handle a wide range of riding.

However, I would appreciate any input on the performance of the Wreckoning vs. the E29 in reference to:

Pedaling standing and seated
    Braking
    Pedaling through chunky/ sharp terrain
    Carving corners
    Steering response/ nimbleness
    Seated pedaling position (can you get in the "sweet spot" with the STA)
    Taking drops and jumps
    Stiffness (this is a big concern after reports that the Following is not up to standards for my weight)

I like the E29 but the geo is a bit off. It sinks into its travel on steep inclines and feels a bit sluggish when trying to sprint. I have a Giant Anthem X Advanced 29 and a Niner RIP 9 RDO as well. My dream bike is one that has the travel and capability of the E29, pedals like the AX29, and is nimble like the RIP 9 RDO. This bike may be a unicorn but I'll take something a bit closer than the E29 if it's possible.

Thanks for any and all assistance!

mtbr member
    Here is a thread I found recently.

It gets a bit derailed but is a good start in my search for info.

mtbr member
    I would suggest against the VIVID AIR not much mid stroke and having lock out will help on bigger days....

mtbr member
    Thanks for the tip on the shock. That's what I'm thinking as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I keep hoping to read that the Wreckoning is similar to the Enduro 29 except it pedals better especially when accelerating or out of the saddle climbing. Through this worthless contribution to the thread, I am now subscribed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GlazedHam View Post
    I keep hoping to read that the Wreckoning is similar to the Enduro 29 except it pedals better especially when accelerating or out of the saddle climbing. Through this worthless contribution to the thread, I am now subscribed.
    Why set your sights so low? Seriously!

I'm 5ft10, a Large E29 is only just big enough, but the BB is quite tall and the head angle not particularly slack. Then you've got the fact that all Specializeds don't pedal well compared to most single pivot bikes, and the fact that despite being significantly shorter travel, the Following is a more capable bike in every respect than the E29... The Wreckoning?

Well... It's a Following with the volume knob turned up to 11! Everything you've read about the Following applies to the Wreckoning, except that where the geometry on the Following would write cheques that the relatively short travel back end could sometimes struggle to cash, the Wreckoning still has loads in reserve. The Following pedals exceptionally well, not just for a 120mm trail bike but full stop! I'm not going to ******** and say the Wreckoning is just as good, it's not, it's 1lb heavier and has 40mm more travel. But it is 95% as good uphill as the Following (which is to say a lot better than an E29)...

And then you get to the descents... Mine is set up in X-Low, with a 65.5HA and 340mm BB height, nothing short of a full DH bike gives you as much confidence on the way down! A 4 bar is always going to be more "plush" (read active) than a single pivot over bumps, but you're not short on travel at 161mm with the Wreckoning anyway. If you're the kind of person that feels the need to pedal their way through boulder fields, the E29 with its taller BB and more active rear end is likely to appeal more, but the Wreckoning rider isn't concerned for such trivialities as pedall through chunky sections as they're too busy carrying way more speed into the section, and pumping the terrain to maintain that speed.

As for cornering grip and speed, well... The Following embarrassed pretty much all comers, and the Wreckoning is just more of the same. The Monarch shock suits the frame well and is very controlled. I wouldn't look to a Vivid Air or even a coil shock unless I was only using the bike purely for lift assisted riding.

Make no mistake, the bike totally rocks. The E29 may have been the bike to push the travel boundaries on 29er FS bikes, but it hasn't pushed thegeometry boundaries and it falls way short as a result.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Great response and appreciate the input. I suppose i am setting my site so low because I feel the E29 is a very capable trail bike that allows my to continue pedalling on my all-rocks-all-the-time trails. Prior to buying the E29, I worried it would just be too much bike to enjoy on the long, undulating, limestone cliff trails I ride. It does sound like the Wreckoning geometry and pedal-ability could be used as an aggressive trail bike. I guess the confirmation I'm looking for is "if the E29 is not too much bike for your trails, the the Wreckoning won't be too much bike either"

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Do you have unusual proportions? I'm 6'2 with a 34 inseam and had plenty of room for a 150 dropper on an XL E29. Not sure if you're just deadset on a new rig, but dropping some coin on an Ohlins TTX shock with a ti spring would absolutely transform that Enduro both descending AND climbing.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

Robertson
    I've read on a lot of people putting the rocker linkage from the 27.5 Enduro on the 29. Apparently it slackens the head angle and lowers the bottom bracket as well, something else to consider

mtbr member
    I considered the 27.5 linkage but tried an offset bushing first and didn't like what it did to the pedaling performance. Plus that would shorten the reach even more.

It's kind of a bandaid anyway...the E29 probably needs a redesign. It's current geo is where the Stumpy should be...and is.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Do you have unusual proportions? I'm 6'2 with a 34 inseam and had plenty of room for a 150 dropper on an XL E29. Not sure if you're just deadset on a new rig, but dropping some coin on an Ohlins TTX shock with a ti spring would absolutely transform that Enduro both descending AND climbing.
    For my part...I am 6'3" with a 35" or so inseam. I ride with a 125mm Command Post bottomed out on the seat tube. I use flat pedals and don't like the tippy-toe clipless style anymore. Since I went to flats I bet my saddle height has come down almost 2". This allows me to really engage the posterior chain muscles which provide the most power.

I've about decided that the geo on the E29 is falling just a bit short for my desires. I want it to be longer in the reach and wheelbase, taller stack height, and a bit slacker in the head tube. On really fast descents the E29 feels just a bit too tall and squirrly when trying to move quickly side to side. I'm thinking that the evolved geo on the Wreckoning may smooth this out. My interest in the Wreckoning is more geo driven than anything else.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Really? Weird. I swap back and forth from clip to flat all the time and never adjust my seat height. Just goes to show everyone's needs on a bike are different.

I guess just check your numbers carefully. if you want a taller stack than the E29, not sure you're gonna find it in the current market, though I may not be up to speed in that regard. The super low stack was probably the thing I hated most about my Following.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    taller stack = higher rise bars, no?

mtbr member
    I guess just check your numbers carefully. if you want a taller stack than the E29, not sure you're gonna find it in the current market, though I may not be up to speed in that regard. The super low stack was probably the thing I hated most about my Following.
    Excellent advice and I am trying to follow it. I agree on the Following numbers and that is why I stayed away. The Following XL is really just a L. However, the Wreckoning is taller in stack and longer in reach than the XL E29. This is why I first began looking at the bike. On my XL E29 I run the Command Post bottomed out on the seat tube and use a 35mm rise 800mm wide bar with about 25mm of spacer under the 60mm stem. This puts my grip height around 1" above my saddle height...right in my sweet spot.

I live in the boonies and have no way to demo a bike. I spend months researching and going over numbers again and again to try and minimize mistakes on a purchase decision. This is why I started this thread to try and learn as much as possible. The problem is that my trigger finger is getting itchy!

I really like the E29...a lot. I just wish it was a little higher in stack, longer in reach, longer in wheelbase, and slacker in the head tube. Firmly planted in the back of my mind is: "will Specialized do all this when they revise the E29?" If the revision happens this year...I'm sure I will not regret the Wreckoning if that's the way it goes. Or holding on to the E29 for another season. Hmmm........sleepless nights.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Resurrecting this thread in search of Wreckoning vs. 2017 E29.

Robertson
    MBR magazine has an article in the latest edition Wreckoning vs Trek Slash 29 vs Enduro 29. Wreckoning took top honors

Towlie for prez
    Sep 2005
    Cant find it online, someone needs to scan and post it. C'mon UK'ers!

Robertson
    Quote Originally Posted by shoulderfu View Post
    Cant find it online, someone needs to scan and post it. C'mon UK'ers!
    You could purchase the digital edition of the magazine, or just wait for them to post it on their website in a while

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Really? Weird. I swap back and forth from clip to flat all the time and never adjust my seat height. Just goes to show everyone's needs on a bike are different.

what were some of the the things you hated less about the Following?
    breezy shade

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post

However, I would appreciate any input on the performance of the Wreckoning vs. the E29 in reference to:

Pedaling standing and seated
    Braking
    Pedaling through chunky/ sharp terrain
    Carving corners
    Steering response/ nimbleness
    Seated pedaling position (can you get in the "sweet spot" with the STA)
    Taking drops and jumps
    Stiffness (this is a big concern after reports that the Following is not up to standards for my weight)

I like the E29 but the geo is a bit off. It sinks into its travel on steep inclines and feels a bit sluggish when trying to sprint. I have a Giant Anthem X Advanced 29 and a Niner RIP 9 RDO as well. My dream bike is one that has the travel and capability of the E29, pedals like the AX29, and is nimble like the RIP 9 RDO. This bike may be a unicorn but I'll take something a bit closer than the E29 if it's possible.

Thanks for any and all assistance!
    No big kinematic changes for the 2017 Enduro, in fact arguably worse due to more falling-rate end-stroke, making it difficult to use a coil. Push won't design an 11-6 for it due to this, and they generally know what they are doing.

I can vouch for the older Enduro 29 version:

Pedaling standing and seated-like sh*t generally, although not too bad seated on level smooth terrain. The harder you pedal, the worse it gets, unlike bikes with flat anti-squat curves like the Wreckoning. Up hills, especially like a soggy mattress.

Braking-o.k., I noticed a little bit of stink-bug effect, not terrible, but it's not going to squat much in the turns either, which can be a benefit. I'd call this a wash.

Pedaling through chunky/ sharp terrain-like crap for efficiency, the more it goes into the travel, the less anti-squat it has, so it tends to punish you for trying to charge hard through terrain. Plush, or even using "more travel" than it would while coasting due to the lower level of anti-squat, giving that "digging in" feeling, but the bikes like the Wreckoning tend to ride higher through the chunk, IME just more consistant with the descending suspension behavior, but the shock makes a big difference here as far as how "plush" or how well the suspension absorbs stuff. Sometimes the OEM tunes feel a bit harsh, but it's not indicitive of a well tuned shock.

Carving corners-Jekyll and Hyde. Fun for carving, but the medium radius turns at high speed is where it bleeds the most speed. Riding with guys on DH bikes, this is where I scrubbed the most speed, I had to slow down more to prevent the gyroscopic rigidity from tugging the bike towards the outside of the turn. Then I had to speed up more to try and "keep up". Switching to 27.5 solved this for me and boosted me way up to 2nd in the same race format, from mid-pack. This is a 29er trait IMO and won't matter whether it's the Wreckoning or Enduro 29. I don't hold this against 29ers to a large extent, I generally like them, but it's there. Over time I found the fastest way around the bermed turns was go to as high and outside as possible and pedal through like mad. Going tighter bled more speed, possibly because the bike was being tugged more towards the ouside where it would end up in the any anyways. The other issue is on bermed trails leaning the bike over hard in some situations can cause you to drag a pedal due to the BB height.

Steering response/ nimbleness-good. No issues with tight stuff due to decent geometry. I don't feel a 29er needs an excessively slack headtube angle, it's already not going to endo and it's going to roll like mad over stuff if you can hold on, so you might as well keep some nimbleness with the steering, rather than turn it into a boat with a HA the same as a smaller-wheeled bike. Lots of old perceptions still around about 29ers not being able to ride tight stuff, but that's due to old goofy-geometry IME.

Seated pedaling position (can you get in the "sweet spot" with the STA)-pretty crappy.

Taking drops and jumps-I had to work harder to make jumps and gaps on my E29. It wasn't a slow bike by any means, but I noticed the bike wouldn't go quite as far and would generally jump "flatter", I had to offset this with harder pedaling and towards the end of the day or when winded it was a bit more of an issue, where you might case something you'd otherwise make. Again, an overall 29er trait IME, but bikes in the class of the Wreckoning and E29 exaggerate this due to their beef. Drops were generally great, wheel-catchers were non-existent with the 29er.

Stiffness (this is a big concern after reports that the Following is not up to standards for my weight)-Not earth shattering and the pivots were rather crappy. What was unacceptable was the horst-link pivots require a blind-puller and there's one on each side with no "lip" in between, so it's a major PITA to pull these, and after two seasons they were shot. It was painfully obvious Specialized didn't really intend for the bearings on this bike to be changed. The BB pivot was also strange, the only way to get the rear swingarm back on was by spreading the metal attachment and it was very difficult (and you are spreading metal). You could kind of jam it back on, but again, didn't seem like it was intended to ever take off. Although the bearings could be changed, it wasn't fun. The cable routing was also wacky (and led to sawing through the rear triangle), but I believe this has been fixed. I have doubts whether Specialized actually has any consideration to whether this bike will be used beyond a season or so. Another hit to stiffness was the stock alloy wheelset with the specialized. The tires would rub the chainstays during hard cornering. Cranking the nipples up higher helped a bit, but didn't completely eliminate the problem. Going to a carbon rim wheelset did eliminate the problem, but that's just one more issue you run into with big wheels, again, not so much an E29 issue and just a 29 issue. My bet is most 29ers don't get pushed hard enough to really make this much of an issue, but a 29er intended for gravity riding definitely gets you there.

The biggest issue with the specialized by far was the pedaling efficiency and how it simply punishes you more the harder you pedal up hills, vs. consistent pedaling at a variety of travel points and situations. Suspension action was nothing to write home about, I put a monarch+ on it eventually, but my avalanche tuned monarch+ on my turner was infinitely better. Another thing that helped me in the before mentioned race (being able to just "let it go" on some sections).

If the Wreckoning was available when I was looking at the RFX it would have been a much harder decision. The E29 was a fun experiment to see what 29er geometry can be, but I was looking to fix the E29s shortcomings at that point.
    Last edited by Jayem; 03-21-2017 at 02:12 PM.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    I would agree with most everything Jayem posted concerning the older E29.

The geo on the new E29 ruled it out for me on a size XL...too short in reach for the significantly shorter stack height vs the older model.

I bought an XL Wreckoning last fall and just returned from a trip to Moab. It really solves most every issue I had with the E29.

The pedaling response is so much better. The Wreckoning is very interesting in that it feels firm and poppy in the middle of its stroke so it seems to respond like a shorter travel bike. However, when I encounter a large impact it sucks it up quite nicely. It feels fairly playful when weaving and hopping around but big drops feel like a pillow. There is some harshness at times under repetitive sharp impacts but I've read that an X2 drastically improves this. I may go this route or send the Monarch Plus to Avalanche.

The E29 in size XL felt high and short and a bit unstable at high speed over rough terrain. The Wreckoning is a bit of the opposite. Most times I wish the head angle on the Wrecker was a bit steeper. It tends to flop around at slow speeds or when climbing if you get lazy or don't pay attention. I wouldn't call it a negative but I am considering getting a Works Components headset to steepen the head angle by one degree which should put it around 67 deg. I do notice that on the really steep and rough sections the slacker head angle vs. the old E29's 67.5 deg is nice...but this is a very small percentage of my riding.

At 6'3" and 240lb the XL Wrecker is a bike that finally fits well. The stack is higher and the reach is longer vs. the old E29...both positives for me. The pedaling is much improved and I don't notice any negatives when pedaling through rough terrain or during braking. The frame is stiff enough and it looks great. I used to go Horst Link as I thought single pivots had too many drawbacks. After taking a chance on the Wreckoning...I was wrong and see no need to deal with the negatives that tend to be present in Specialized HL bikes.

The Wrecker handled Moab like a champ and that's exactly what I was looking for.

mtbr member
    I am considering getting a Works Components headset to steepen the head angle by one degree which should put it around 67 deg.
    Great report, nice when you find a bike that works well for you. Doesn't Evil offer a Flip Cup to adjust head tube angle?

mtbr member
    Push just posted a photo of an 11-6 on a new enduro... I love how well the enduro climbs with the steep STA. I've never ridden a wreckoning but I rode with a guy who had one a couple weeks ago and he was complaining about how it climbed. My biggest climb to date on my Enduro is 4.4k

I agree if you ride the enduro on flat terrain it feels weird but point it up or down and it's amazing. I have a fox 36/ X2 on mine, LOVE it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    No big kinematic changes for the 2017 Enduro, in fact arguably worse due to more falling-rate end-stroke, making it difficult to use a coil. Push won't design an 11-6 for it due to this, and they generally know what they are doing.

I can vouch for the older Enduro 29 version:

Pedaling standing and seated-like sh*t generally, although not too bad seated on level smooth terrain. The harder you pedal, the worse it gets, unlike bikes with flat anti-squat curves like the Wreckoning. Up hills, especially like a soggy mattress.

Braking-o.k., I noticed a little bit of stink-bug effect, not terrible, but it's not going to squat much in the turns either, which can be a benefit. I'd call this a wash.

Pedaling through chunky/ sharp terrain-like crap for efficiency, the more it goes into the travel, the less anti-squat it has, so it tends to punish you for trying to charge hard through terrain. Plush, or even using "more travel" than it would while coasting due to the lower level of anti-squat, giving that "digging in" feeling, but the bikes like the Wreckoning tend to ride higher through the chunk, IME just more consistant with the descending suspension behavior, but the shock makes a big difference here as far as how "plush" or how well the suspension absorbs stuff. Sometimes the OEM tunes feel a bit harsh, but it's not indicitive of a well tuned shock.

Carving corners-Jekyll and Hyde. Fun for carving, but the medium radius turns at high speed is where it bleeds the most speed. Riding with guys on DH bikes, this is where I scrubbed the most speed, I had to slow down more to prevent the gyroscopic rigidity from tugging the bike towards the outside of the turn. Then I had to speed up more to try and "keep up". Switching to 27.5 solved this for me and boosted me way up to 2nd in the same race format, from mid-pack. This is a 29er trait IMO and won't matter whether it's the Wreckoning or Enduro 29. I don't hold this against 29ers to a large extent, I generally like them, but it's there. Over time I found the fastest way around the bermed turns was go to as high and outside as possible and pedal through like mad. Going tighter bled more speed, possibly because the bike was being tugged more towards the ouside where it would end up in the any anyways. The other issue is on bermed trails leaning the bike over hard in some situations can cause you to drag a pedal due to the BB height.

Steering response/ nimbleness-good. No issues with tight stuff due to decent geometry. I don't feel a 29er needs an excessively slack headtube angle, it's already not going to endo and it's going to roll like mad over stuff if you can hold on, so you might as well keep some nimbleness with the steering, rather than turn it into a boat with a HA the same as a smaller-wheeled bike. Lots of old perceptions still around about 29ers not being able to ride tight stuff, but that's due to old goofy-geometry IME.

Seated pedaling position (can you get in the "sweet spot" with the STA)-pretty crappy.

Taking drops and jumps-I had to work harder to make jumps and gaps on my E29. It wasn't a slow bike by any means, but I noticed the bike wouldn't go quite as far and would generally jump "flatter", I had to offset this with harder pedaling and towards the end of the day or when winded it was a bit more of an issue, where you might case something you'd otherwise make. Again, an overall 29er trait IME, but bikes in the class of the Wreckoning and E29 exaggerate this due to their beef. Drops were generally great, wheel-catchers were non-existent with the 29er.

Stiffness (this is a big concern after reports that the Following is not up to standards for my weight)-Not earth shattering and the pivots were rather crappy. What was unacceptable was the horst-link pivots require a blind-puller and there's one on each side with no "lip" in between, so it's a major PITA to pull these, and after two seasons they were shot. It was painfully obvious Specialized didn't really intend for the bearings on this bike to be changed. The BB pivot was also strange, the only way to get the rear swingarm back on was by spreading the metal attachment and it was very difficult (and you are spreading metal). You could kind of jam it back on, but again, didn't seem like it was intended to ever take off. Although the bearings could be changed, it wasn't fun. The cable routing was also wacky (and led to sawing through the rear triangle), but I believe this has been fixed. I have doubts whether Specialized actually has any consideration to whether this bike will be used beyond a season or so. Another hit to stiffness was the stock alloy wheelset with the specialized. The tires would rub the chainstays during hard cornering. Cranking the nipples up higher helped a bit, but didn't completely eliminate the problem. Going to a carbon rim wheelset did eliminate the problem, but that's just one more issue you run into with big wheels, again, not so much an E29 issue and just a 29 issue. My bet is most 29ers don't get pushed hard enough to really make this much of an issue, but a 29er intended for gravity riding definitely gets you there.

The biggest issue with the specialized by far was the pedaling efficiency and how it simply punishes you more the harder you pedal up hills, vs. consistent pedaling at a variety of travel points and situations. Suspension action was nothing to write home about, I put a monarch+ on it eventually, but my avalanche tuned monarch+ on my turner was infinitely better. Another thing that helped me in the before mentioned race (being able to just "let it go" on some sections).

If the Wreckoning was available when I was looking at the RFX it would have been a much harder decision. The E29 was a fun experiment to see what 29er geometry can be, but I was looking to fix the E29s shortcomings at that point.
    Front Range, Colorado

mtbr member
    Wreckoning vs. Enduro 29-img_5023.jpg

From instagram
    Front Range, Colorado

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    Push just posted a photo of an 11-6 on a new enduro... I love how well the enduro climbs with the steep STA. I've never ridden a wreckoning but I rode with a guy who had one a couple weeks ago and he was complaining about how it climbed. My biggest climb to date on my Enduro is 4.4k
    Make no mistake, I did big rides on the E29, I climbed it to the crest of the continental divide in CO, twice. It's just that such riding was more punishing on the E29. As far as balance and a good all-around bike, it wasn't that, it was way biased towards descending due to the suspension design and the fact that it unweights the front end and bogs down the harder you pedal. Massive traction, yes, but again, not balanced to give good acceleration/efficiency at the same time. I've had somewhere around 5 or 6 horst link bikes (FSRs) and these traits have always been the same, I was prepared for them with the E29, so it came as no surprise.

As I said, Push has stated for a while that they could not design an 11-6 due to the excessive falling rate. While there are things that can be done, like big bumpers, position sensitive valves, etc., it wasn't a simple adaptation like the previous E29s. I can find Push's comments on this if you like, but they are pretty well documented in the Specialized forum. It looks like they may be close to coming out with something, but this doesn't make the stuff they said before false, it just took more time and engineering to design around. I wouldn't want to dump that much on something so proprietary, just to make up for some of the poor efficiency characteristics. I ran a custom avalanche chubbie on my FSR 6-pack and while it helped a little with pedaling, it did a lot more to the bump absorption (as it should).

I thought it was fun to experiment with the E29 geometry, but now that several manufacturers have "caught up" to that geometry, and at the same time are offering a far more efficient suspension platform, it's in the past to me. There's no advantage to the FSR design. Better traits can be had from a kona-style rear end pivot, and better yet with the split pivot, which puts the wheel on the chainstay, rather than having a pivot in between the main pivot and wheel dropout, as with the FSR, which inherently makes it flexier. Specialized really tried to convince people they had things like vertical wheelpaths and other magical properties for a few years, but luckily we got past that ridiculousness.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bob-o View Post
    Great report, nice when you find a bike that works well for you. Doesn't Evil offer a Flip Cup to adjust head tube angle?
    They did for a short time when these new bikes (Following, Insurgent) were first released but it disappeared. I asked Evil and they said it went back into development due to some creaking issues. I believe they hope to have this option available in the future.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post

I agree if you ride the enduro on flat terrain it feels weird but point it up or down and it's amazing. I have a fox 36/ X2 on mine, LOVE it.
    Hows the X2 / 36 in comparison to the Ohlins?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I would agree with almost everything Jayem said as well. Funny, Titusquasi, you and I have similar dimensions and very similar taste in bikes. I'm 6'3 1/2" and about 225-230lbs depending on my last meal. I've had 2 RIP 9s, the current is an RDO, and I have the 2015 Carbon Expert Enduro 29. I'm currently running the ElevenSix coil on the Enduro after blowing up the Cane Creek twice. It did transform the bike quite a bit both up and down, the traction is amazing, but the bike is just a slow boggy climber by nature. I have the Nox carbon Farlows on it and its been a great bike. Very capable, confidence inspiring, and fun. I have many miles my current 2 bikes and I'm looking at a new steed. I actually ordered the 2017 Enduro 29 frame back in January but I cancelled the order after I learned that Push wouldn't make a shock for it. No way am I going down that proprietary BS road again. The fact that you can only use one type of shock because of a propriety length is ridiculous. Now I'm considering the Wreckoning, the SB5.5, and the new RIP9 RDO. I think the Niner might be the front runner for me. Most of my local trails are no where near Moab caliber although I do need a bike that is Moab capable. I know the Wreckoning would be my choice if it was all about the descent. I imagine the RIP9 will be a better all around bike for my needs though. Did you consider it a contender? Anyone ridden both and can compare?

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by gaba View Post
    I would agree with almost everything Jayem said as well. Funny, Titusquasi, you and I have similar dimensions and very similar taste in bikes. I'm 6'3 1/2" and about 225-230lbs depending on my last meal. I've had 2 RIP 9s, the current is an RDO, and I have the 2015 Carbon Expert Enduro 29. I'm currently running the ElevenSix coil on the Enduro after blowing up the Cane Creek twice. It did transform the bike quite a bit both up and down, the traction is amazing, but the bike is just a slow boggy climber by nature. I have the Nox carbon Farlows on it and its been a great bike. Very capable, confidence inspiring, and fun. I have many miles my current 2 bikes and I'm looking at a new steed. I actually ordered the 2017 Enduro 29 frame back in January but I cancelled the order after I learned that Push wouldn't make a shock for it. No way am I going down that proprietary BS road again. The fact that you can only use one type of shock because of a propriety length is ridiculous. Now I'm considering the Wreckoning, the SB5.5, and the new RIP9 RDO. I think the Niner might be the front runner for me. Most of my local trails are no where near Moab caliber although I do need a bike that is Moab capable. I know the Wreckoning would be my choice if it was all about the descent. I imagine the RIP9 will be a better all around bike for my needs though. Did you consider it a contender? Anyone ridden both and can compare?
    I have owned the following bikes:

5.5c Wreckoning, and the switchblade.

If you are looking for an all mountain, enduro race bike, the Wreckoning is the ticket with an Elevensix.

The 5.5c is a great bike but not as good at descending. I think the bikes climb equally with the slight edge to the 5.5c.

The switchblade is a great bike and is a little more trail to me. The switchblade is the best climber.

All 3 of these bikes are FAST!!!

So many good bikes but get a Wreckoning, awesome Bike.

Robertson
    Never ridden a niner but have done everything from 10 mile shuttled days on downhill tracks to 20 mile XC hammerfests to 35+ mile, 7000ft climbing all day epics on my Wreck no problem. It's really a quite versatile bike.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by gaba View Post
    The niner Rip 9 has a very similar suspension profile to the Enduro Linkage Design: Niner That also plots the wreckoning on the same graph. That point where they diverge is key IMO. As your suspension is working, absorbing bumps, as you travel uphill, as you have slightly less or more sag, it'll pedal the same, be consistent. As you do the same with the niner, it'll bog down, sink more through the travel with the pedal strokes, require more pedal stroke to overcome these traits in the rough, etc.

Although it starts with a little more AS, the niner has that huge falling slope, and it ends up with far less halfway and then all the way through the travel. I think this would climb a lot more like the Enduro than the Wreckoning. Niner suspension kinematics have never impressed me.

mtbr member
    I would encourage buyers to not sell the Wreckoning short on it's ability to be an everyday trail bike. I continue to be impressed with it's ability to fill that role ably. I thought I would find some single pivot negatives but it just performs well most everywhere...very impressed.

My preference is to be over-biked on the small trails rather than under-biked on the big trails. With a bike that pedals as well as the Wrecker, it fills that role nicely. I suppose it's a testament to how refined bikes have become these days when you can take a bike that can hang with downhill bikes and happily use it as an everyday driver.

Pirate!!!
    It tends to flop around at slow speeds or when climbing if you get lazy or don't pay attention.
    I've been on my Wreckoning for well over a year at this point. Still the single best bike I've ever owned. And I've owned a lot of bikes!
    This will cure your slack HA whoa's. https://ssl.hostingplatform.com/hopey.org/catalog.php
    The Hopey original is the unit I run, and it makes the Wreck track like a cross country bike on the climbs. Also helps maintain some stability in super chunk.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Anyword on a newer model wreckoning anytime this year?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonlui View Post

Highly unlikely that it will get any kind of update so soon. The bike has been in existence for about a year and a half. The Following has been around for about two and a half, and is only rumored to have an updated version coming sometime later this year. I'd bet it's another year or more for the Wreckoning. It's up to date in terms of standard with boost spacing. It's not metric shock compatible, but that's not a big deal yet. And let's be honest, this is at the leading edge of long travel 29ers on the market. They are chasing nobody. It's the other way around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Just rode the wreck with push on monday, b2b with my insurgent; 2trails, one flow 2nd "hard enduro" and daaamn, this is one evvil mf.
    But the weight differance i noticed A LOT (cca 14,3 kg vs 13 of my green machine)
    Backend was friggin outta this world, so much traction it hurts my hart :/
    The roughest of rough parts were flow on wreck, it just doesnt care of which line you chose, mean mf machine!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by m789 View Post
    Just rode the wreck with push on monday, b2b with my insurgent; 2trails, one flow 2nd "hard enduro" and daaamn, this is one evvil mf.
    But the weight differance i noticed A LOT (cca 14,3 kg vs 13 of my green machine)
    Backend was friggin outta this world, so much traction it hurts my hart :/
    The roughest of rough parts were flow on wreck, it just doesnt care of which line you chose, mean mf machine!
    That's good info... I've had my Insurgent for almost a year and a half and have recently been really interested in a wreckoning. I assume you are referring to climbing while noticing the weight difference. Care to elaborate?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I haven't ridden an Insurgent, but have been on several 650b/27.5 bikes that are similar to it, and I own a Wreck with the 11/6. The Push 11/6 is not a lightweight shock, especially when compared to some of the lighter air spring units out there. The performance is unreal though, and the Wreck, like the rest of the Evil frames, carries its weight low. Can I tell that the bikes weighs more than some of the other rigs I ride? Sure, but it's not at all a feeling of riding a tank. It's like riding a frame without a full water bottle, and then with. Some of the sensation that m789 might be feeling could be related to the change in wheel size. For someone that doesn't ride 29 regularly, it can feel slower even when it's going faster. That applies to climbing as well as descending. Without doing multiple back to back laps of the same trail segments with some randomness in order to account for things like fatigue and getting in the zone with your speed on the trail, it's all just what you sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonlui View Post

People are going bat-**** crazy these days. It seems the normal "production run" for a bike now is expected to be a couple months...

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Lol. Everyone expects a new model every year. Probably because in the last few years, new standards were rampant. This year maybe metric sizing and maybe clearance for 2.6. Longer ,slacker , more travel.

mtbr member
    Love my Insurgent and have similar thoughts as above on the wreckoning. Weight was most notable when trying to change lines or pop for quick little transfers on tamer trails. When hitting the extraordinary speeds the Wreck allows on descents you don't notice weight except for the way it helps maintain traction and momentum. Overall I thought the wreck was a slightly better climber and did not feel a weight penalty vs the Insurgent on climbs.

The only reason I don't have a wreckoning is the nut buzz from the rear tire on DH and the slightly friskier feel of the Insurgent on tamer stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BossLog View Post
    The only reason I don't have a wreckoning is the nut buzz from the rear tire on DH
    I've heard people say this and relate it to the seat tube angle, and I don't quite understand it. If your seat is dropped sufficiently and you are riding centered on your feet above the seat (aggressive), wouldn't the key determinants be chainstay length and riding technique? Is it because you center yourself behind your seat going down? To me short chainstay and Ability to get over the rear tire if desired is good (manual on demand, control).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
    Marin County, CA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DriverB View Post
    I've heard people say this and relate it to the seat tube angle, and I don't quite understand it. If your seat is dropped sufficiently and you are riding centered on your feet above the seat (aggressive), wouldn't the key determinants be chainstay length and riding technique? Is it because you center yourself behind your seat going down? To me short chainstay and Ability to get over the rear tire if desired is good (manual on demand, control).

Yep. Riding style indeed, but also fit. I learned to ride steep gnarly DH on bikes with HTA that would be considered XC now. When the ass puckers it gets over the rear tire. I've tried to break this habit as geo has evolved, but there's only so far fwd I can instinctively get to in those situations. As for fit, I'm just over 5'9" with a 32" inseam. I get some nut buzz on 26" tires, some on 27.5" tires but most on 29" in rowdy steeps. IMHO this is just going to be an issue for some people based on ride style and anatomy. The Wreckoning was so good I almost went for it based on the assumption I would change my body position eventually. But with the Insurgent that wasn't a factor and it was a bit more nimble/frisky for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by godfather View Post
    I haven't ridden an Insurgent, but have been on several 650b/27.5 bikes that are similar to it, and I own a Wreck with the 11/6. The Push 11/6 is not a lightweight shock, especially when compared to some of the lighter air spring units out there. The performance is unreal though, and the Wreck, like the rest of the Evil frames, carries its weight low. Can I tell that the bikes weighs more than some of the other rigs I ride? Sure, but it's not at all a feeling of riding a tank.
    I've been on the Wrecker for about a year now, got one of the first ones released. I've been going back and forth between the stock Monarch and an 11-6, and I'm kind of torn. The 11-6 certainly provides MUCH more impressive DH ability, incredibly active suspension and the ability to just blast through anything.

But I've been really enjoying riding with the Monarch lately. In addition to being over a pound lighter, it give the bike a nice poppy feeling due to the ramp-up of the air shock. You use less of the midstroke; the bike feels more like my Following, until you take a big hit and it just opens up.

All depends what you like, but for trail bike feel I tend to prefer the Monarch; 11-6 give the bike legit DH/park capability, but I don't spend much time riding trails where that's really needed. Possible the X2 would provide a best-of-both feeling, or at least the ability to tune more in one or the other direction....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BossLog View Post
    Yep. Riding style indeed, but also fit. I learned to ride steep gnarly DH on bikes with HTA that would be considered XC now. When the ass puckers it gets over the rear tire. I've tried to break this habit as geo has evolved, but there's only so far fwd I can instinctively get to in those situations. As for fit, I'm just over 5'9" with a 32" inseam. I get some nut buzz on 26" tires, some on 27.5" tires but most on 29" in rowdy steeps. IMHO this is just going to be an issue for some people based on ride style and anatomy. The Wreckoning was so good I almost went for it based on the assumption I would change my body position eventually. But with the Insurgent that wasn't a factor and it was a bit more nimble/frisky for me.
    Got it, makes sense thanks! Totally know what you mean. Ive also worked a lot on getting more centered in my position over the last few years.

Marin County, CA