Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm Is something EVIL.........CALLING?

Is something EVIL.........CALLING?-calling-1.jpgIs something EVIL.........CALLING?-calling-2.jpgIs something EVIL.........CALLING?-calling-3.jpgIs something EVIL.........CALLING?-calling-4.jpgIs something EVIL.........CALLING?-calling-5.jpgIs something EVIL.........CALLING?-calling-6.jpgIs something EVIL.........CALLING?-calling-7.jpg

Brown Santa (UPS) came a knockin' this week and delivered me an Evil "The Calling". It just makes sense for me, the way I ride and what I mostly ride. I went with a high-end build. It's not the lightest nor the heaviest (7.34lbs. frame alone). I just built it up last night, so only the street test, but if that's any indication....woohoo, KW was right. You feel like you stole it and have to ride it as a getaway.

The build was pretty easy. Might be easier since this is my 5th EVIL that I've built on my own, not too mention the few others I've built for friends. The seat dropper inner tube allowed for it to pop up vs. having to use a coat hanger. The Eagle DT was a little weird, but nothing I couldn't figure out. I used (2) spacers on the drive side of my SixC cranks to line up the built in chain guide. I am using the front wheel for both the Calling and the Insurgent. Would have used both wheels if it weren't for Boost. The Muddy Waters coat is like a primer (I'm sure it's not), so we'll see how it holds up!?

p.s. Yes a water bottle fits. It even fits the Specialized tool kit mounted to the bottom of the cage, but it will be challenging to remove the tool as it is right on top of the Monarch. You have about 3/4" of space below the cage, to the shock top, and the "normal" sized bottle with no problem.

Here's the build:

(M) The Calling - Muddy Waters
    Super Deluxe RC3 Debonair
    2016 Fox Float 36 RC2 - 150
    SRAM Eagle XO1 Drive Train
    I9 Torches laced to 40mm Carbon Derby Rims
    Maxxis DHF WT
    Maxxis DHR WT
    ENVE RSR Bars
    Chromag Ranger 50mm Stem
    Ergon GE1 Grips
    Shimano M820 Brakes
    XT 180 Rotors
    Race Face SixC Cranks
    ROTR BB
    Blackspire 32t Oval Chain Ring
    Gamut Podium Pedals
    9point8 Fall Line 150 Dropper Post
    Specialized Control Dropper Remote
    Specialized Phenom Saddle

29.38 lbs.
    "You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing!" - Unigeezer

mtbr member
    :green: w/ (insert your bar brand)

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    to err is human... to face plant is frickin hilarious!!

mtbr member
    Nice! Somehow I knew one of those would show up at your door. Looks great. Weighs almost exactly the same as my Endorphin.
    I'm sure it goes without saying, but let us know how it rides.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

I fix choppers
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominator13 View Post

Brown Santa (UPS) came a knockin' this week and delivered me an Evil "The Calling". It just makes sense for me, the way I ride and what I mostly ride. I went with a high-end build. It's not the lightest nor the heaviest (7.34lbs. frame alone). I just built it up last night, so only the street test, but if that's any indication....woohoo, KW was right. You feel like you stole it and have to ride it as a getaway.

The build was pretty easy. Might be easier since this is my 5th EVIL that I've built on my own, not too mention the few others I've built for friends. The seat dropper inner tube allowed for it to pop up vs. having to use a coat hanger. The Eagle DT was a little weird, but nothing I couldn't figure out. I used (2) spacers on the drive side of my SixC cranks to line up the built in chain guide. I am using the front wheel for both the Calling and the Insurgent. Would have used both wheels if it weren't for Boost. The Muddy Waters coat is like a primer (I'm sure it's not), so we'll see how it holds up!?

p.s. Yes a water bottle fits. It even fits the Specialized tool kit mounted to the bottom of the cage, but it will be challenging to remove the tool as it is right on top of the Monarch. You have about 3/4" of space below the cage, to the shock top, and the "normal" sized bottle with no problem.

Here's the build:

(M) The Calling - Muddy Waters
    Super Deluxe RC3 Debonair
    2016 Fox Float 36 RC2 - 150
    SRAM Eagle XO1 Drive Train
    I9 Torches laced to 40mm Carbon Derby Rims
    Maxxis DHF WT
    Maxxis DHR WT
    ENVE RSR Bars
    Chromag Ranger 50mm Stem
    Ergon GE1 Grips
    Shimano M820 Brakes
    XT 180 Rotors
    Race Face SixC Cranks
    ROTR BB
    Blackspire 32t Oval Chain Ring
    Gamut Podium Pedals
    9point8 Fall Line 150 Dropper Post
    Specialized Control Dropper Remote
    Specialized Phenom Saddle

29.38 lbs.
    Very handsome and congrats. Now the questions...

• You had an Insurgent prior, yes?
    • Was the Insurgent "too much" bike for your day-to-day excursions?
    • or were you looking for something that was more spirited, better climber, faster, etc?

I've demoed the Following and the Insurgent and felt more confident on the Insurgent for my style of (or lack thereof) riding. Next year I will likely retire my current steed ('14 Banshee Rune V2) and replace it with a newer version of the same thing (yeah, I liked it that much) or an Insurgent. The Insurgent is the only bike I've demoed (I've ridden pretty much everything) since acquiring the Banshee that rivals it in all aspects. We'll see.

"Everything popular is wrong." -Oscar Wilde

mtbr member
    This: •or were you looking for something that was more spirited, better climber, faster, etc?

Let's call it "snappier"! I just feel that the Insurgent is an "Apache Helicopter" and I want something with a little less firepower. I, also, had a Following and regretted selling it, but this is a better substitute. I think that the Insurgent will get used, more than the Following would have if I had those 2, but this bike seems to be very capable and the fun factor should be through the roof.
    "You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing!" - Unigeezer

I fix choppers
    I just feel that the Insurgent is an "Apache Helicopter" and I want something with a little less firepower.
    Nice. I lean more towards wielding a Falchion or Battle Axe than a Katana, but you get my drift.

It has been suggested that one should ride the bike that suites them for the bulk of their riding versus something at the infrequent end of the of spectrum. On the contrary, I prefer to never want to feel that I am limited by the bike's capability when I reach that infrequent end. Then the rest of it may be taking a FN P90 to go duck hunting, but I like having the "firepower" when shiz goes sideways.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Sick build Dominator!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Nice, my large muddy water should be here mid next week now !

I would be scared the Calling and the Insurgent kinda overlap ? The insurgent is obviously bigger, but not by much !
    French line enthusiast and expat in Denver

I like bikes, I really do.

mtbr member
    Took her out for a proper thrashing this afternoon. We are supposed to get hit with a deluge tomorrow, so I wanted to test her out before. It was still pretty wet out there from last week's storm, so I think it's going to be a bit before the area dries out.
    Is something EVIL.........CALLING?-imageuploadedbytapatalkhd1481766835.417253.jpg

Anyways, no surprises. I wasn't expecting to be surprised, one way or the other, so it was par for the course. Last week I rode Dude's SB5c V2. He thought it would be very similar to the Calling and it was. His being a bit small for me, but it railed and was fun as hell. Well the Calling was, as well. The things that stood out were the turns, felt way more over the front. I was ripping corners that I haven't ripped in a while. Suspension, very smooth. The shock/metric/trunion combo really is good. I'd say it feels better than the Insurgent with the 11/6. I'm not saying more capable, just feels better. No holding back, was the last thing. I never felt under biked, even through some pretty good high speed chop. The bike handled everything.

The overlap. I, too, was concerned that there was too much overlap between the two bikes. As of right now, I think it'll be fine. I am planning on using my Insurgent for bigger days...all the way up through bike parks days. I'm going to give the Insurgent a good run at being a bike park/shuttle/big hit bike. It really showed it's true colors in Retallack and on the North Shore this summer.

One ride only, but to me it's a perfect bike for what I ride 85% of the time. Completely happy with this one. I'll keep posting up reviews about things I notice as I get it more dialed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Sweet ! So how was it compared to the Yeti when it comes to pedaling hard ? Climbing, or out of a turn.
    Just asking because I'm not worried at all with the DH performance

mtbr member
    Oh yeah. The bike pedals just as well as the Insurgent, which is a great pedaler. I didn't climb a bunch today, but from what I could tell it's right on par with the best of them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Awesome, Dom, good for you! Please keep the reports coming as you settle into this "little" beast. I am very curious how it will directly relate to The Insurgent, of which mine just laughed at it's first 7 months of flogging. I've had Wreck remorse since the day I pulled the trigger but have let sanity prevail. The Calling may prove to be a real problem, though. I want one.
    Last edited by two6's; 12-15-2016 at 10:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    About the crankset, I'm always confused with the chainline thing. The Sixc has different values, maybe you have the 48.5 ? That would make sense you added one spacer to reach the 51mm chainline of the Calling ?

I have a Next SL listed @ 51mm, so If I understand this thing correctly, on the Calling, I'll only need one spacer on the drive side ?

mtbr member
    I will. I thought about the bike quite a bit after the ride. I thought the Insurgent was the "one bike" solution, with the X-Low and Low and it still might be!? However, it depends on how/what you ride. Most people that get an EVIL bike are on the more aggressive side of riding. At least, they should be because that's where these bikes shine, even the Following. The Insurgent has the ability to go on all day epics and taken directly to the bike park and you be would happy. The Wreckoning, as I understand, could handle everything at the bike park with a SEG and then you could take it on all of your trails and be fine. The Following is a trail monster. You really have a great bike between your legs for semi-aggressive trail riding, but when you start to get more into the gravity oriented realm, it lacks a bit of confidence inspiring travel.

This is where the Calling fits in. I now understand the name. It's "Calling" is to be one for all. You really do get the Following/Uprising playfull/sanppy/poppy-ness from riding this bike on the trail. You get the aggressive trail riding, all out let her rip through the ups and downs of the Insurgent...trail slaying ability. And finally, I think this is NomadCV3esque capable. If that makes any sense. Meaning, it is bike park capable. You could take it there and go through everything. You could hit big jumps with confidence, even though it's only 131mm of travel. That being said, it's not going to down right destroy a bike park like the Wreckoning or Undead, but I think it'd handle it.

Wreckoining: Bike park bike. Very Aggressive trail riding is it's sweet spot.....EARTH RAPER! Can trail ride on regular trails with ease. A bit too big for all day epics.

Insurgent: Very bike park capable. Amazing on jumps and anything that speed is needed, or wanted. Aggressive trail riding is also spot on. Will rocket you up and down any other kind of trail. Fine for all day epics.

Calling: Can take it to the bike park. Probably has it's limits, speed wise, through the big stuff. Aggressive trail riding is fine. Again, it's probably has it's limits, but really feels capable. Unreal trail feel. Feels like you need to go faster. Turns every turn into a blur. You feel like every straight away the wheel should be up in the air due to you trying to get more speed to nail that next turn and rocket through it. All dayer's are great for this bike. Go at it.

Following: Wouldn't really want to take it to the bike park. It could do it, but why? Fairly aggressive trail riding is okay, but it's a bit of a pucker. General trail riding is a blast. Fun, poppy and snappy. Bigger wheels don't turn as easy...at least for me. All day epics are kick ass on this bike.

These are my .02. There is no "One Bike", but EVIL has thrown a few punches at trying to get one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Would you say they went steeper with the STA than the Following/Insurgent?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    so, is the Calling the 27 version of the Uprising or Following?
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nhodge View Post
    so, is the Calling the 27 version of the Uprising or Following?
    Not sure if it's either!?

I took it out again yesterday and the dirt was unbelievable. It rained hard a few days ago, so I was expecting slop, but the high winds and freezing temps made the dirt as good as it gets. Rode the bike hard and was able to determine that it climbs better than the Insurgent (I had the Insurgent in X-Low). It rails the corners. I mean really rails them. And finally, just kicks ass on the DH. I never noticed, nor thought, that I was on a short travel bike. It could be the combo of a great bike and me riding Evil's for the past few years, but it was one of the best rides I've been on in recent times.

I can't compare it to the Following, because I never felt as confident on the Following. I can't compare it to the Uprising, because the length give you more stability. It definitely would be more like the Following for overall trail riding fun and flickability. More like the Insurgent for downright assaulting the mountain. The Uprising was an anomaly. I have never felt anything, except the Undead, that feels that way.

I'm not going out on a limb here when I say, this bike could serve the majority as their "one" bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks for this, man! I've really had a feeling that this thing is THE bike. Gotta have one and gotta keep the Insurgent, too. Damn you, Evil!
    Last edited by two6's; 12-19-2016 at 06:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Not sure if it's either!?

I took it out again yesterday and the dirt was unbelievable. It rained hard a few days ago, so I was expecting slop, but the high winds and freezing temps made the dirt as good as it gets. Rode the bike hard and was able to determine that it climbs better than the Insurgent (I had the Insurgent in X-Low). It rails the corners. I mean really rails them. And finally, just kicks ass on the DH. I never noticed, nor thought, that I was on a short travel bike. It could be the combo of a great bike and me riding Evil's for the past few years, but it was one of the best rides I've been on in recent times.

I can't compare it to the Following, because I never felt as confident on the Following. I can't compare it to the Uprising, because the length give you more stability. It definitely would be more like the Following for overall trail riding fun and flickability. More like the Insurgent for downright assaulting the mountain. The Uprising was an anomaly. I have never felt anything, except the Undead, that feels that way.

I'm not going out on a limb here when I say, this bike could serve the majority as their "one" bike.
    alright, more than i was expecting. appreciate the direct comparisons
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Great write up. How would you compare and contrast it to the Yeti SB5 you rode. Out of interest what didn't you feel was comfortable about the Following?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Can anyone compare the ride of a Transition Scout to The Calling? The recent rise of these short-travel, "poppy" 27.5 bikes are really drawing my interest.

I ride with the intention of having fun rather than for pure speed.

Love my Ibis HD3, and also my steel Production Privee Oka hardtail, but I feel the itch for a short travel carbon bike

Any comparisons to other short travel carbon options would be appreciated too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by greddyvox View Post
    Can anyone compare the ride of a Transition Scout to The Calling? The recent rise of these short-travel, "poppy" 27.5 bikes are really drawing my interest.

I ride with the intention of having fun rather than for pure speed.

Love my Ibis HD3, and also my steel Production Privee Oka hardtail, but I feel the itch for a short travel carbon bike

Any comparisons to other short travel carbon options would be appreciated too.
    its a smaller insurgent, that probably climbs better. The evils all kind of feel the same. They are super fun to ride. Just buy one, and don't think to much about it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by olibluegoat View Post
    Great write up. How would you compare and contrast it to the Yeti SB5 you rode. Out of interest what didn't you feel was comfortable about the Following?
    I rode the SB5 once down a trail. The suspension felt great. It was way more flickable than my Insurgent. It was too small for me though. It felt the same as the Calling does. Not sure if it's as DH capable as the Calling, but my buddy rides it pretty fast and hard.

The Following just lacked that uber fast, techy, comfortable feel. Not sure if it was the travel or the wheels. I just know that I threw my leg over the Insurgent and sold the Following the next day. Now that I have the Calling, it was a good decision.

mtbr member
    Good write up on this bike Dom! You confirmed what I read in the numbers and how I feel about Evil's. I figured you'd be on this bike sooner than later.
    My take on a great two bike quiver would be this Calling as your main trail steed and either the Wreckoning or Insurgent depending on wheel size preference built burly for shuttle/ park days.
    I still really love my small Following for me and what I mostly ride.
    Do you still have your Undead?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hi,

I going to build up my 1st Evil bike. Getting the Calling but awaiting the availability of the size.

I'm reading that the boost spacing with the Wreckoning n Calling require spacers for the crank set. May I know if I go the way of Sram Eagle 12speed, do I still need the spacer?

I am also looking at using a Raceface Next SL crank to build it up as a 11speed as I might not need the 50t Eagle range, do I need a boost crank n a boost bb?

The bb n the spacer are a bit confusing to me. Please advise.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Would love to try the Calling. Absolutely love my Following though, so it would have some tough competition to beat. A shame its not got more clearance in the rear. Love the fact that on the new SB5 people have shown you can run plus tyres. Also a shame that they didn't get the frame slightly lighter. Seems heavier than the Following.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by revver View Post
    Hi,

I going to build up my 1st Evil bike. Getting the Calling but awaiting the availability of the size.

Thanks.
    It's available Received my large muddy water yesterday at the shop !

It will be running a Next SL crankser, I'll let you know if I have any issues with the chainline !

mtbr member
    Evil lists a 51mm chainline spec on the Calling, so a RF Cinch crankset should be spot on with one 2.5mm spacer under the drive-side cup - assuming you're using a RF ring. For the Boost Eagle crankset with a GXP BB you wouldn't use any spacers for a 73mm BSA BB and you'd have a 52mm chainline which would be fine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hi Dogboy,

If I'm going to use the RF Next SL, I should order a boost 73mm boost bb from RF too? Or both boost RF crankset n boost bb? The spacer is bought separately? I'm actually planning to put a boosted AB oval chain ring instead of the RF ring.
    Sorry, really no clue on the crank n bb thingy, and the additional spacer.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy View Post
    Evil lists a 51mm chainline spec on the Calling, so a RF Cinch crankset should be spot on with one 2.5mm spacer under the drive-side cup - assuming you're using a RF ring. For the Boost Eagle crankset with a GXP BB you wouldn't use any spacers for a 73mm BSA BB and you'd have a 52mm chainline which would be fine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Hi Dogboy,

If I'm going to use the RF Next SL, I should order a boost 73mm boost bb from RF too? Or both boost RF crankset n boost bb? The spacer is bought separately? I'm actually planning to put a boosted AB oval chain ring instead of the RF ring.
    Sorry, really no clue on the crank n bb thingy, and the additional spacer.

Thanks
    If you are not sure on the BB and Crank standards, why not call evil and get the exact part numbers needed.

Raceface Cranksets are all 51mm chainline to my knowledge. I am pretty sure you need this bb:

Race Face BSA 30mm Bottom Bracket > Components > Drivetrain > Press Fit | Jenson USA

in 68/73mm.

You can use any 51mm chainline crankset, and get a boost chainring.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Snowsed, thanks. I will call Evil up to confirm once my frame reach, I don't stay in US thus a 13hour time diff.

In short, any 68/73 bb, RF or any 51mm chainline crankset and a boost chain ring?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Snowsed, thanks. I will call Evil up to confirm once my frame reach, I don't stay in US thus a 13hour time diff.

In short, any 68/73 bb, RF or any 51mm chainline crankset and a boost chain ring?

Thanks.
    Has to be the RF BB that accepts 30mm spindle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    OK, thanks.

mtbr member
    The standard RF Cinch direct mount chainring gives you a 51mm chainline. RF does not make a Boost direct mount chainring.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hi Dogboy, really appreciate all the help, thanks.

I was think of fixing a Absolute Black Oval boost chain ring to the RF Next SL crankset.

ZEN RIDER!
    I'd be interested to know the comparison between this and the Mach6, especially considering the 1.34lb difference in frame weight.
    Life in every breath

mtbr member
    So Dom and I switched bikes for a pedal section and a DH section...he will voice his thoughts later I am assuming.

For the last few weeks I have been on the new SB5v2 and I have been pretty amazed by the bike - the switch infinity is pretty cool. I have been having a blast. Of course the Evil Calling comes out shortly after my SB5v2 ownership, which is the bike that I mostly likely wanted after the Uprising. As tempting as the Calling was, I was able to maintain control and wait until Dom built his up.

I did ride his in the parking the first day and it felt good, the rear suspension feel nice and plush, but poppy - ie fun!

Today, we decided to swap bikes and for me this was probably an expensive test ride

The first 2 things I recognized - 1) progressive suspension and 2) shorter chainstays. I think for the SB5 with shorter front center, its longer stays are balanced. Same with the Calling, the longer front center is balanced with the shorter chainstays.

The wheelbases are about the same. Dom is running a 150mm fork so it slackens the bike out a tad. However, it feels good. I noticed the SB5 being a tad twitchier when hopping back on it.

They both eat up the trail amazingly well. I do agree with Dom that the Calling is probably a bit more aggressive, particularly I feel with the suspension characteristics.

The Calling was definitely easier to manual. Normally, I am cautious when hopping on someone's else bike, but Dom's Calling felt very natural and just stuck with the guy in front for the descent.

Now subtle but important aspect between the frames. The SB5 seat tube is on the long side, it a tad long for me in running a 150mm dropper - though I have tried. My legs are too far extended and I prefer 150mm dropper. The Calling has a shorter seat tube and this could be the deal breaker for me and the SB5.

Last little tidbit, in reading the review by Fanatik bike, which was great. They said a few things that made me cautious of the Calling - basically that the Following was a bit more aggressive in eating up the trail and with the bigger wheels, the Following was a better all day ripper. Granted those guys can shred and have more skills than me, but I actually believe the Calling is a better bike. May be it is the 150mm front fork, but I found the Calling to be a great all day ripper. I prefer it over the Following.

In the end, both bikes are pretty amazing for the amount of travel they have. Our buddies on long travel bikes can't believe how fast we are riding them. I think the SB5 is a half of notch down in the aggressive realm compared to the Calling. The differences are subtle and depending on where and how you ride- one may be better than the other. I am looking into a Calling...we shall see...tick tock

Happy holidays everyone!!!
    Last edited by Dude!; 12-25-2016 at 11:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I finished to build mine today, but I still don't know when the first ride will be.

Weighted at 30.5lbs (size Large) with the heavy Michelin tires, SLX pedals and Sram GX cassette. Plus a couple of other things where I'll go a bit lighter.

Is something EVIL.........CALLING?-p4pb14262493.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by xavierp View Post
    I finished to build mine today, but I still don't know when the first ride will be.

Weighted at 30.5lbs (size Large) with the heavy Michelin tires, SLX pedals and Sram GX cassette. Plus a couple of other things where I'll go a bit lighter.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p4pb14262493.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	266.1 KB 
ID:	1112160
    Very nice xavierp!

ZEN RIDER!
    How's the Calling on tight twisty technical single track? CT that's a majority of our riding. Lots of up & downs with lots of rocks and ledge. I'm riding a 2011 Firebird and I'm tired of lugging around 170mm & 34+lbs of travel on the ups. I'm not a spring chicken any more.
    Life in every breath

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mt.Biker E View Post
    How's the Calling on tight twisty technical single track? CT that's a majority of our riding. Lots of up & downs with lots of rocks and ledge. I'm riding a 2011 Firebird and I'm tired of lugging around 170mm & 34+lbs of travel on the ups. I'm not a spring chicken any more.

Wondering the exact same thing. I live in Michigan and how you described your riding is exactly like what we have. Love my Ripley but am looking to add a 27.5. Had a Mojo 3 this summer and just never feel in love with it. I am currently looking at:

1) Yeti SB5C
    2) Evil Calling
    3) Santa Cruz 5010
    4) Pivot Mach 4
    5) Rocky Mountain Pipeline

Having a real hard time deciding between these 5 bikes.

mtbr member
    That is a beautiful machine.

Does anyone know if the Calling has the same chain slap issues as the Insurgent or are the chainstays closer to the Following?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by theressteve View Post
    That is a beautiful machine.

Does anyone know if the Calling has the same chain slap issues as the Insurgent or are the chainstays closer to the Following?
    It looks like it will have the same chain slap issues as the Insurgent. However, it is easily silenced by some window tape foam.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho View Post
    It looks like it will have the same chain slap issues as the Insurgent. However, it is easily silenced by some window tape foam.
    wouldn't window foam tape work better?
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Where's a real world picture of the Angry Dolphin color? Love that shade...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

wheelie king
    Is something EVIL.........CALLING?-calling-heist-16-6-16-01.jpg

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    The Santa Cruz tallboy 3 should be on that list. I put a 2.6 nobby nic on the front of mine and it's fast both up and down.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thanks for the writeup Dom.

Could you speak to your impressions on sizing and your decision to put 150mm fork (as opposed to a 140) on it.

I ride Demo and Skeggs mostly and am tempted to get one of these.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    wonder if you could slap the delta rocker from the calling on an insurgent to run the trunion mount super delux shock?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by o3zone View Post
    Thanks for the writeup Dom.

Could you speak to your impressions on sizing and your decision to put 150mm fork (as opposed to a 140) on it.

I ride Demo and Skeggs mostly and am tempted to get one of these.
    Interestingly enough, I rode Demo/Nisene yesterday. This bike is perfect for those trails. It really turns well. I didn't respond to the above question about "tight 'n twisties" because I had only one ride in this arena, but after yesterday's ride, it performs well....very well. I am able to get the bike low around the corners and it absolutely rips them. It climbs better than the Insurgent. Hard to believe because that bike is a billy goat.

This is the perfect bike for Demo and or Skaggs....only 2 places I know that you have to climb to get to the trails and climb to get out.

On another note, I finally was "outbiked" and wanted the Insurgent. It isn't a terribly hard trail, but it is a trail that I'm used to just hammering down. It has ruts and brake bumps and it is relatively steep. Well, I felt the limitations of both, the shock and the travel. It was a great revelation for me. I now know where each bike belongs and the overlap and the spacing is perfect.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I would doubt it, as the Calling was completely designed from the ground up.

ZEN RIDER!
    Interestingly enough, I rode Demo/Nisene yesterday. This bike is perfect for those trails. It really turns well. I didn't respond to the above question about "tight 'n twisties" because I had only one ride in this arena, but after yesterday's ride, it performs well....very well. I am able to get the bike low around the corners and it absolutely rips them. It climbs better than the Insurgent. Hard to believe because that bike is a billy goat.

This is the perfect bike for Demo and or Skaggs....only 2 places I know that you have to climb to get to the trails and climb to get out.

On another note, I finally was "outbiked" and wanted the Insurgent. It isn't a terribly hard trail, but it is a trail that I'm used to just hammering down. It has ruts and brake bumps and it is relatively steep. Well, I felt the limitations of both, the shock and the travel. It was a great revelation for me. I now know where each bike belongs and the overlap and the spacing is perfect.

How under biked were you? I am used to Hammering downhill on the Firebird and one of the concerns I have is the amount of travel on the Calling. Is it similar to the Folllowing as to how easily its maxed out when things get chunky at speed?
    The Mach 6 is similar but with more travel and a comparison would be great. I'm down to these two bikes but I really like the delta link.

I also just read the bible of bike tests and was concerned when they said "some of our testers" in reference to climbing the Calling with the shock in open. I thought my dads Following climbed very well. Any additional input would be greatly appreciated. E

I fix choppers

This right here makes me say nay and thus I would choose the Insurgent instead. My rigs have not have any less travel than 150mm over the past 5+ years. They may have been overkill plenty of times, but I have never felt out gunned on anything. I realize this opinion is in the minority as most riders would prefer to have a bike that suits 80-90% of their rides. I however NEVER want to feel trepidation because of the bike and if there is something rad-tarded I want to hit at least the bike will be up for it.

I would imagine that the differences between the Insurgent and the Calling are not immense, especially on climbs. However, correct me if I'm wrong. All Evil bikes have a similar feel at the pedals from the Delta suspension at least the Following and Insurgent I demoed did. I am still confused as to why Evil does not want to put a bottle mount on the Insurgent especially when every other bike they make will have them for 2017.

Finally, Skeggs was my favorite place I've ridden in the Bay Area. There are some (real) climbs, but it was more technical (reminded me of Pisgah gnar in sections) than anything else I've hit (Demo, Fairfax, Tamarancho, Repack) when I was visiting.

mtbr member
    The Calling can handle anything, I just prefer the more DH feel on the uber tech that the Insurgent gives me. I rode the Insurgent today on the same trail that I rode the Calling on and it did feel better. No doubt about it the Insurgent is more DH worthy, especially with the 11/6 and the PUSH'd Float up front. On the Calling, you can feel the trail. On the Insurgent, you feel less of the trail. Meaning, the Insurgent can plow better.

Interestingly enough, I believe I was faster on the Calling. Dude! even thought so. This is a trail that it a DH fast, opposed to DH gnar/tech like the trail I felt that the Insurgent was better. It has rocks, roots and brake bumps but it is a high speed trail. I think with the suspension soaking up all of this, on the Insurgent, I was a tad slower.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by HELLBELLY View Post
    This right here makes me say nay and thus I would choose the Insurgent instead. My rigs have not have any less travel than 150mm over the past 5+ years. They may have been overkill plenty of times, but I have never felt out gunned on anything. I realize this opinion is in the minority as most riders would prefer to have a bike that suits 80-90% of their rides. I however NEVER want to feel trepidation because of the bike and if there is something rad-tarded I want to hit at least the bike will be up for it.

I would imagine that the differences between the Insurgent and the Calling are not immense, especially on climbs. However, correct me if I'm wrong. All Evil bikes have a similar feel at the pedals from the Delta suspension at least the Following and Insurgent I demoed did. I am still confused as to why Evil does not want to put a bottle mount on the Insurgent especially when every other bike they make will have them for 2017.

Finally, Skeggs was my favorite place I've ridden in the Bay Area. There are some (real) climbs, but it was more technical (reminded me of Pisgah gnar in sections) than anything else I've hit (Demo, Fairfax, Tamarancho, Repack) when I was visiting.

You have been on the evil forums for 2 years and still no bike? What gives man?

When are you going to take the plunge...

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    So in the Bike Magazine 2017 bible of bikes test one tester thought the frame was not very stiff, any comments on that?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hi guys,

My size small frame should be arriving in a month or 2. I'm riding a Spesh 6Fattie now, alternating between the plus wheels n the 29er wheel set. I was previously on a Pivot Mach 6.

For those who have some time on the Calling, Spesh FSR n Pivot DW link, any comparison between these 3, will I get a better climbing platform compared to the FSR?

I'm used to riding without a hydro bag for a while now since the SWAT carry most of my stuff, can the size small Calling accommodate the SWAT bottle cage with tools or the Topeak TC Ninja Mountain bottle n tools kit?

Thanks, and looking forward to my 1st Evil....

I fix choppers
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowsed341 View Post
    You have been on the evil forums for 2 years and still no bike? What gives man?

When are you going to take the plunge...
    Short answer: When I'm ready.

Long answer: A bike has to really blow me away and offer me something very different from the bike I am on at anytime to warrant replacement. Case in point: When I moved from 26 to a 27.5 bike in '13, I did a ton of research, demoed every bike I could (at least a dozen) and then did more research. I recognized the benefit of the bigger wheel size and knew it was worth it to move on at that point. I hunted down deals and built the bike I wanted at a price I wanted. Retail is for schmucks and Christmas shoppers.

Which brings us to today. I still absolutely love my current rig ('14 Banshee Rune V2). I would not be heartbroken if I did not replace it. However, three of my friends have Evils and they won't shut up about them. I've demoed both a Following (a lil' too trail oriented for me) and an Insurgent (the only bike I've ridden that feels as good as my current sled, maybe better). I did happen to like the Hightower, but I'd almost want that as a second bike set up plus. That isn't likely though. Also the new Banshee's are now hitting the US and they have some nice improvements to an already fantastic design.

So in conclusion regarding my initial assertion of needing to be "blown away" really no bike has actually done that yet. This is taking into account, pedaling, handling, climbing, descending, features, and costs. Bottom line, a new bike really has to improve my experience for me to pull the trigger. I will not do so for just a lateral move. I apologize if my lurking offends you.

mtbr member
    The Calling can handle anything, I just prefer the more DH feel on the uber tech that the Insurgent gives me. I rode the Insurgent today on the same trail that I rode the Calling on and it did feel better. No doubt about it the Insurgent is more DH worthy, especially with the 11/6 and the PUSH'd Float up front. On the Calling, you can feel the trail. On the Insurgent, you feel less of the trail. Meaning, the Insurgent can plow better.

Interestingly enough, I believe I was faster on the Calling. Dude! even thought so. This is a trail that it a DH fast, opposed to DH gnar/tech like the trail I felt that the Insurgent was better. It has rocks, roots and brake bumps but it is a high speed trail. I think with the suspension soaking up all of this, on the Insurgent, I was a tad slower.

I do think it is a tough call for folks when making the decision between the Calling and the Insurgent. The Insurgent was one of the best pedaling bikes that I have ever ridden. Yes, the Calling may pedal better, but not by much. I haven't spent enough time on the Calling. However, I felt immediately felt comfortable on the Calling, whereas the Insurgent I notice more the longer front center. Considering Dom's using the 150mm fork, the geo numbers are quite similar to the Insurgent, yet I still notice the Calling being more playful geometry (ignoring suspension). I think this is important consideration. I really like the Calling. I want to ride Dom's bike some more as it is fun and confident.

Now back to Dom's comment. Dom has been riding a decked out Insurgent for 1.5 years from local rides, to Whistler, to Retallack, etc. Riding these same trails on a shorter travel bike, will highlight the reduced travel, especially a 11-6 coil and PUSH front fork. It will wake you up. However, I think Dom with more time on the Calling will rail these with similar confidence Our trails are also changing owing to the storms.

ZEN RIDER!
    Hi guys,

I was previously on a Pivot Mach 6.
    revver what are your thoughts on the Mach 6?
    Life in every breath

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Short answer: When I'm ready.

Long answer: A bike has to really blow me away and offer me something very different from the bike I am on at anytime to warrant replacement. Case in point: When I moved from 26 to a 27.5 bike in '13, I did a ton of research, demoed every bike I could (at least a dozen) and then did more research. I recognized the benefit of the bigger wheel size and knew it was worth it to move on at that point. I hunted down deals and built the bike I wanted at a price I wanted. Retail is for schmucks and Christmas shoppers.

Which brings us to today. I still absolutely love my current rig ('14 Banshee Rune V2). I would not be heartbroken if I did not replace it. However, three of my friends have Evils and they won't shut up about them. I've demoed both a Following (a lil' too trail oriented for me) and an Insurgent (the only bike I've ridden that feels as good as my current sled, maybe better). I did happen to like the Hightower, but I'd almost want that as a second bike set up plus. That isn't likely though. Also the new Banshee's are now hitting the US and they have some nice improvements to an already fantastic design.

So in conclusion regarding my initial assertion of needing to be "blown away" really no bike has actually done that yet. This is taking into account, pedaling, handling, climbing, descending, features, and costs. Bottom line, a new bike really has to improve my experience for me to pull the trigger. I will not do so for just a lateral move. I apologize if my lurking offends you.

Just giving you a hard time.

Honestly I have ridden insurgent extensively and now ride a wreckoning. I really like the wreckoning.

Ride one, it's like the following on steroids and still climbs well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    revver what are your thoughts on the Mach 6?
    My.BikerE , My 1st bike was a 26" Spesh FSR, I chose a M size Mach 6 even though I'm only 5'4". No long climbing or big descent for me, mostly just trail rides.

Noticed the better pedaling, and on a M size, I was not having the over the bar feel when standing but the small bump compliance was not as good as the FSR.

I did not have enough time on it due to work and did not set up the suspension properly, I was struggling on it compared to the FSR. I'm thinking it's got to do with my lack of fitness and poor setup at that time. Sold it off for a 6Fattie.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowsed341 View Post
    Just giving you a hard time.

Honestly I have ridden insurgent extensively and now ride a wreckoning. I really like the wreckoning.

Ride one, it's like the following on steroids and still climbs well.
    Personally speaking I'm kinda like HELLBELLY, in that I stay with bikes a while if they suit the need well for me. Even though I'm smaller in build (5-7, 145-150) I got on short travel aggressive 29ers in 2012 and sold all my 26" trail and big bikes. The Following was a good choice for me as an all rounder. I'd love a Wreck but I just can't justify building one right now. If I had the spare dough burning a hole then hell ya I'd be on it.
    The Following is really a very capable bike for 120 travel especially with a 140 Stage at <67 deg in high and 66.5 in low. No issues at all on steep terrain for me with the Following and I do know what steep terrain having ridden the Notch on TWE. The only time I long for more travel is bigger step downs, gaps and very high speed chunk. Other than that I sometimes can't believe what I ride on it. It's the perfect long distance, gnarly terrain, BC bike. It's made for MI/ UP and Pisgah type terrain. I suppose if I lived in Moab with all that ledgy steeps I'd be riding the Insurgent or Wreck as my main bike. They also were not making the Wreck in a small which is what I would want. I like my bikes on the playful side for ease of throwing them around.
    So we'll see what comes, I could ride either the Wreck or Insurgent as the LT and the perfect compliment to them is either the Following or this Calling. Ideally for me I'd rather the Following and Calling were a touch lighter for the longer rides but whatever. It's much more important how they pedal and handle and there they rock out!
    I actually almost would rather build a medium EPO right now to compliment my Following. Built light fast and playful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by manitou2200 View Post
    Personally speaking I'm kinda like HELLBELLY, in that I stay with bikes a while if they suit the need well for me. Even though I'm smaller in build (5-7, 145-150) I got on short travel aggressive 29ers in 2012 and sold all my 26" trail and big bikes. The Following was a good choice for me as an all rounder. I'd love a Wreck but I just can't justify building one right now. If I had the spare dough burning a hole then hell ya I'd be on it.
    The Following is really a very capable bike for 120 travel especially with a 140 Stage at <67 deg in high and 66.5 in low. No issues at all on steep terrain for me with the Following and I do know what steep terrain having ridden the Notch on TWE. The only time I long for more travel is bigger step downs, gaps and very high speed chunk. Other than that I sometimes can't believe what I ride on it. It's the perfect long distance, gnarly terrain, BC bike. It's made for MI/ UP and Pisgah type terrain. I suppose if I lived in Moab with all that ledgy steeps I'd be riding the Insurgent or Wreck as my main bike. They also were not making the Wreck in a small which is what I would want. I like my bikes on the playful side for ease of throwing them around.
    So we'll see what comes, I could ride either the Wreck or Insurgent as the LT and the perfect compliment to them is either the Following or this Calling. Ideally for me I'd rather the Following and Calling were a touch lighter for the longer rides but whatever. It's much more important how they pedal and handle and there they rock out!
    I actually almost would rather build a medium EPO right now to compliment my Following. Built light fast and playful.

I hear ya, evil makes great bikes. Just ride what makes you happy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Evil Calling Review ? 2017 Bible of Bike Tests

Found this latest video review on the Calling.

ZEN RIDER!
    Thanks revver. I usually fall between bike sizes myself. I prefer smaller mainly because I grew up on bmx. I also like being over a bike and more upright. Mostly because I have a body by gorilla,short stumpy legs, long arms and torso.
    Life in every breath

mtbr member
    Thanks revver. I usually fall between bike sizes myself. I prefer smaller mainly because I grew up on bmx. I also like being over a bike and more upright. Mostly because I have a body by gorilla,short stumpy legs, long arms and torso.

The first thing I noticed about the Calling was the fact that I was wayyyy more over the front of the bike compared to the Insurgent. It is definitely more of a trail bike feel in that respect.

mtbr member
    Evil Calling Review ? 2017 Bible of Bike Tests

Found this latest video review on the Calling.
    Good find!

"Damn, I loved riding this bike! Damn, it was fun!"

Exactly how I feel......every time I ride it!

I fix choppers
    Personally speaking I'm kinda like HELLBELLY
    Kill yourself now. Spare your friends and family as it only gets worse.

Is something EVIL.........CALLING?-grim-reaper4.png

mtbr member
    Kill yourself now. Spare your friends and family as it only gets worse.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grim-reaper4.png 
Views:	131 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	1113808

Ya except that I probably have a few years on you, if so then you're actually like me then. So there is no hope!
    One good thing I try not to act my age, just an old kid.

I fix choppers
    Ya except that I probably have a few years on you, if so then you're actually like me then.
    Unlikely. I may have the wit and questionable tastes of an over-adrenalized late teen mixed with plenty of Gen-X cynicism, but I am rapidly becoming a certified alter kocker.

Speaking of which, you wanna know something that I find sad as a music nut? Younger (20-30 somethings) people who get all excited about tribute/cover bands of random 80's acts. WTF?!? Go see a modern (even better if they are local)band doing original music if not the actual said band from that time period. Lawd knows enough of them are still rolling around doing tours, reunions or otherwise.

Now GTFO my lawn!!!

mtbr member

Is something EVIL.........CALLING?

Unlikely. I may have the wit and questionable tastes of an over-adrenalized late teen mixed with plenty of Gen-X cynicism, but I am rapidly becoming a certified alter kocker.

Speaking of which, you wanna know something that I find sad as a music nut? Younger (20-30 somethings) people who get all excited about tribute/cover bands of random 80's acts. WTF?!? Go see a modern (even better if they are local)

Now GTFO my lawn!!!

Well not to date myself but I'm into my 6th decade. I sure don't (or try to) act like it! As far as age goes I tell folks sure I'm getting older but I'm going kicking and screaming down that path!
    I couldn't agree more with you on the music. There is so much great new music that I can't see dwelling on older stuff at all. Whatever your taste or preferred genre is.

Last edited by manitou2200; 01-04-2017 at 09:40 PM.

I fix choppers
    Well not to date myself but I'm into my 6th decade. I sure don't (or try to) act like it! As far as age goes intel folks sure I'm getting older but I'm going kicking and screaming down that path!
    Dammit!!! I was sure I was the number one geezer around here, curses!!! Whatever, I'll catch up...eventually.

I couldn't agree more with you on the music. There is so much great new music that I can't see dwelling on older stuff at all. Whatever your taste or preferred genre is.
    Sure, whatever floats one's goat, but 80's cover bands? I know, it gets the kids dancing, but much of the New Wave crap (Love me some Plastic Bertrand though) was suspect the first time around and the hair metal was always hideous. Then again, Steel Panther is kinda fun.

Did someone leave the nitrous on? I forgot what we were talking about.

mtbr member
    Well not to date myself but I'm into my 6th decade.
    Ha ha...right around the corner for me. Turning the big 5....0.... this year. I really don't feel like it....or act like it. Still getting tons of air, ripping down the trails and smiling all the way.

.......Now get back to talking about the bike!

mtbr member
    Ha ha...right around the corner for me. Turning the big 5....0.... this year. I really don't feel like it....or act like it. Still getting tons of air, ripping down the trails and smiling all the way.

Hell yah! I'll bet that Calling has got some pop like the Following but maybe better with the smaller wheels.
    I do love me some air but not going as big as I used to! Self preservation and all, crashing's way overrated.
    The Marquette kids I ride with (I'm older than most of there parents) love my Following I'm constantly chasing them down the rowdy stuff, sometimes leading them! I'd love to get that Calling on the trails there and in Pisgah. I think it'd be the perfect bike for those locals.
    What's your take or guess on how your ride time will be split between the Calling and Insurgent?

I fix choppers
    Hell yah! I'll bet that Calling has got some pop like the Following but maybe better with the smaller wheels.
    I do love me some air but not going as big as I used to! Self preservation and all, crashing's way overrated.
    The Marquette kids I ride with (I'm older than most of there parents) love my Following I'm constantly chasing them down the rowdy stuff, sometimes leading them! I'd love to get that Calling on the trails there and in Pisgah. I think it'd be the perfect bike for those locals.
    What's your take or guess on how your ride time will be split between the Calling and Insurgent?
    It's become quite clear to me that Evil is a geezerrific brand from the fogeys chiming in here myself included. Probably because we're the only peeps that can afford them...Bahahahaha, stay in school kids while we spend your inheritances!!!

Back to bikes...one can ride anything in Pisgah (I've done it on a hardtail a few times), but the vast majority of the characters I know, locals included roll bigger travel bikes. I think the Calling would be plenty fun around there, but I'd rather be aboard an Insurgent or a Wrecker for the more ragged edge stuff that is common in those parts. I recently saw (maybe read...I don't remember 'cause I'm gettin' old ) a piece where one of the larger bike brands sales honchos stated that their sales on the east coast were dominated by their XC offerings. The only exception was in the Pisgah region where they move mostly 150 mm + travel bikes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Good find!

"Damn, I loved riding this bike! Damn, it was fun!"

Exactly how I feel......every time I ride it!
    I guess they liked it.

mtbr member

It's become quite clear to me that Evil is a geezerrific brand from the fogeys chiming in here myself included. Probably because we're the only peeps that can afford them...Bahahahaha, stay in school kids while we spend your inheritances!!!

Back to bikes...one can ride anything in Pisgah (I've done it on a hardtail a few times), but the vast majority of the characters I know, locals included roll bigger travel bikes. I think the Calling would be plenty fun around there, but I'd rather be aboard an Insurgent or a Wrecker for the more ragged edge stuff that is common in those parts. I recently saw (maybe read...I don't remember 'cause I'm gettin' old ) a piece where one of the larger bike brands sales honchos stated that their sales on the east coast were dominated by their XC offerings. The only exception was in the Pisgah region where they move mostly 150 mm + travel bikes.

True there's plenty of terrain for LT bikes in Pisgah but if you add in all the climbing and tighter terrain plus all the hike a bike stuff the Wreck is overkill, the Insurgents a bit better but it's still long in the wheelbase and for laps off of Clawhammer, rides like Laurel/ Pilot, Black Mtn, Farlow I'll take my Following with a 140 fork in either geo any day of the week. Way better climbing, It's easier to loft and clear some stuff and more maneuverable on the switchbacks and tight twisty stuff. You talk to the boys at the Hub and they like the Following the Wreckoning is overkill to them. I think the Calling would suit the bill on most all the stuff there very well.
    It's much the same in Marquette, Copper Harbor, the Keweenau and most places. There's riders rocking LT bikes to hardtails but the guys that are crushing it especially on longer rides are mostly riding slack short or mid travel bikes.
    When you really think about it 10-20mm of travel isn't going to mean shit if the bikes suspension uses the travel it has well and the bike has the right geometry. A delta of 40mm plus now there's a significant change in travel. Like when I had a 115 and a 180mm bike built totally different, complimentary with some similarities but the big bike was not the all day ride that's for sure.
    We tend to get sucked into the marketing and associated categories and how they niche but today's bikes do blur the lines and that's the beauty of what's available right now.
    Hell I rode the gnarly old school Whistler trails back in the day on my Kona Hot with an LT (at the time) 80mm fork. Oh crap I'm dating myself again.
    That's MHO anyway!

I fix choppers
    True there's plenty of terrain for LT bikes in Pisgah but if you add in all the climbing and tighter terrain plus all the hike a bike stuff the Wreck is overkill, the Insurgents a bit better but it's still long in the wheelbase and for laps off of Clawhammer, rides like Laurel/ Pilot, Black Mtn, Farlow I'll take my Following with a 140 fork in either geo any day of the week. Way better climbing, It's easier to loft and clear some stuff and more maneuverable on the switchbacks and tight twisty stuff. You talk to the boys at the Hub and they like the Following the Wreckoning is overkill to them. I think the Calling would suit the bill on most all the stuff there very well.

When you really think about it 10-20mm of travel isn't going to mean shit if the bikes suspension uses the travel it has well and the bike has the right geometry. A delta of 40mm plus now there's a significant change in travel. Like when I had a 115 and a 180mm bike built totally different, complimentary with some similarities but the big bike was not the all day ride that's for sure
    Saying something is "overkill" is very subjective. To paraphrase a popular author: "The opposite of what you believe is also true depending on the time, place and circumstance." As I stated before, anybody can ride any bike they want in Pisgah. There is a cadre of freaks there that ride rigid fixed gears on all the aforementioned trails. In addition, if you are a kicka$$ bike handler and/or of an ideal cycling build then by all means a shorter travel and more svelte rig will better suit you. The bulk of the shop guys I've ever met (Pisgah denizens as well) fall into this category. As you said, you fit this description at least for size and I am sure you can ride.

On the contrary, while my friends are all decent bike handlers (some exceptional; I think I am okay) we are all over 200 lbs. I am at 205lbs and shorter travel "trail" bikes (yes, I think the Following/Calling are trail bikes) have never felt as good as any longer travel AM rig I was on. By good, I mean as stable, confidence inspiring, and comfortable over a long day (4+ hours saddle time) or when pushed to their limits (travel bottomed, terrible landings, a$$ over rear wheel, saving oneself from their own miscalculations, etc.). The absolute fastest guy I know rides a Wrecker, weighs 230 lbs, and is 6'3". I have witnessed him chase down and pass spindly XC guys who were aboard Ti hardtails up climbs (he hates when people are not polite when they want to pass) and you can bet there are none of them that can take him on a descent. He rarely races, but when he does he is always top five and usually on the podium. On a good day, I can keep him in sight.

Horses for courses or bigger jockeys as the case may be. Party.

Last edited by HELLBELLY; 01-05-2017 at 12:05 PM.

mtbr member

Saying something is "overkill" is very subjective. To paraphrase a popular author: "The opposite of what you believe is also true depending on the time, place and circumstance." As I stated before, anybody can ride any bike they want in Pisgah. There is a cadre of freaks there that ride rigid fixed gears on all the aforementioned trails. In addition, if you are a kicka$$ bike handler and/or of an ideal cycling build then by all means a shorter travel and more svelte rig will better suit you. The bulk of the shop guys I've ever met (Pisgah denizens as well) fall into this category. As you said, you fit this description at least for size and I am sure you can ride.

On the contrary, while my friends are all decent bike handlers (some exceptional; I think I am okay) we are all over 200 lbs. I am at 205lbs and shorter travel "trail" bikes (yes, I think the Following/Calling are trail bikes) have never felt as good as any longer travel AM rig I was on. By good, I mean as stable, confidence inspiring, and comfortable over a long day (4+ hours saddle time) or when pushed to their limits (travel bottomed, terrible landings, a$$ over rear wheel, saving oneself from their own miscalculations, etc.). The absolute fastest guy I know rides a Wrecker, weighs 230 lbs, and is 6'3". I have witnessed him chase down and pass spindly XC guys who were aboard Ti hardtails up climbs (he hates when people are not polite when they want to pass) and you can bet there are none of them that can take him on a descent. He rarely races, but when he does he is always top five and usually on the podium. On a good day, I can keep him in sight.

Horses for courses or bigger jockeys as the case may be. Party.

Well I hope I didn't come across as saying that bikes like the Following and Calling are all that you need no matter your build or riding style. I did say this was my opinion and the bikes fit my needs well. I should have clarified it as more for me or riders like me.
    I am 145, fit and have ridden for pretty much all my life (or 56 years of it) and MTB for around 30 years so I can say that what I've experienced and witnessed over that time of course has conditioned my opinion of bikes and riding. And even though I am older I still ride aggressively (and ski that way as well) and consider myself a pretty descent rider with a penchant for climbing and of course descending. Because as you know being a good climber also comes the responsibility of being a good descender if you're riding is going to take advantage of the attributes of your physical build.
    Some of the fastest overall guys I know are of course much younger, taller, very fit and also ride 160 travel bikes. I'd concur with you that The Wreckoning would lend its attributes better to bigger riders and especially in gnarly type terrain, Pisgah included.
    For someone like me these shorter/ mid travel bikes like this Calling work better overall on rides that I have an affinity for. Faster on the ups and plenty capable on the downs. Would I be faster descending on an LT bike? I'm pretty sure I would but it probably would not make up for the slower ascending rate of that bike compared to the shorter travel and lighter bike.
    Probably the most fun I had on the Whole Enchilada was the time I rode it on my 7" bike. Just attacking features with reckless abandon, the Notch as well as many drops to flat washes or otherwise.
    Having spent some time riding DH and freeride greatly influenced my approach to trail and even xc riding. Always looking for things to boost off of or jump over to makes things fun and smooth out the ride. I think The Calling could easily be a one bike for me and maybe even better than the Following if the slant was leaning a little less XC.
    Cheers!

mtbr member

Oh WTF? I'm reading thoughts about this bike from old geezers? Credence just disappeared!! Just kidding, I've seen pics of Dom sending some good 30 footers!! The bike looks great. A friend of mine is just building up a Wreckoning....So curious what he thinks. Cheers!

mtbr member
    Is there any difference in frame weight (real world) between the calling and the Insurgent ?

mtbr member
    Insurgent weighs 6.98 (found this in the forums), but the Calling (7.34 lbs.) isn't as lightweight as one would expect with the shorter travel. Not sure why it would weigh more, but this is what mine weighed. Similar weighted build. WT tires, 36 up front, Derby 40's, but the rest is pretty lightweight. So, my guess is you could get it to 27 if you went really lightweight.

ZEN RIDER!
    I was hoping the Calling would be at the 6lb mark.
    Does that include the taco bash guard?
    Beefier rubberized protectors?
    Life in every breath

mtbr member
    Yes, on the bash guard. Not so sure about the beefier rubber protectors?

mtbr member
    Just finished my ride in Sedona. This is my next bike! It's a rental from Over The Edge Sedona.

ZEN RIDER!
    What are your impressions of it?
    Weight of your build?
    I'm really leaning toward the Angry Dolphin.
    Life in every breath

mtbr member

What are your impressions of it?
    Weight of your build?
    I'm really leaning toward the Angry Dolphin.
    I'm buying a frame next month! Not my build but a rental. I really liked how the suspension worked in the rocks of Sedona. Really supple on the small stuff, handled square edges well and I felt I could pedal it for days even though it was a bit too small for me. It really felt like a slot car when cornering.

Build on it:
    SRAM XO1 Eagle group set (nice)
    XT brakes
    Stan's MK Flow wheel set
    Reverb 150mm
    Pike
    RF Atlas bars
    race face stem (generic)
    Bontrager SE5 tires

I'm not sure of the weight, but it did feel average... 29-30 lbs.

Shop is asking $6500 for that build.

ZEN RIDER!
    Quote Originally Posted by jdcatnau View Post
    I'm buying a frame next month! Not my build but a rental. I really liked how the suspension worked in the rocks of Sedona. Really supple on the small stuff, handled square edges well and I felt I could pedal it for days even though it was a bit too small for me. It really felt like a slot car when cornering.

Build on it:
    SRAM XO1 Eagle group set (nice)
    XT brakes
    Stan's MK Flow wheel set
    Reverb 150mm
    Pike
    RF Atlas bars
    race face stem (generic)
    Bontrager SE5 tires

I'm not sure of the weight, but it did feel average... 29-30 lbs.

Shop is asking $6500 for that build.
    Thanks man!
    Life in every breath

mtbr member

For those who built the frame up, did you buy a boost crankset or will a regular one work? Seems like an obvious question but wondering if I can recycle some parts from another build.

mtbr member
    I started with a regular crankset and ended up getting a "boost" specific chainring.

ZEN RIDER!
    I was on Wrench and bike fanatic the last couple days trying to decide builds/weight/price point.
    They list the Calling at 6.41 lbs.

I'm also trying to decide Sram Eagle XO or XTR. Not much difference in weight but a big difference in price. Any one hear anything negative about Shimano. My buddy has been a Shimano fan, but recently says he's purging all his Shimano components from the bike he just bought.
    Race Face Next too flimsy for the weight saving, but damn it shaves the weight off quick.
    decisions decisions.....
    Life in every breath

mtbr member
    I was on Wrench and bike fanatic the last couple days trying to decide builds/weight/price point.

I'm also trying to decide Sram Eagle XO or XTR. Not much difference in weight but a big difference in price. Any one hear anything negative about Shimano. My buddy has been a Shimano fan, but recently says he's purging all his Shimano components from the bike he just bought.
    Race Face Next too flimsy for the weight saving, but damn it shaves the weight off quick.
    decisions decisions.....
    The demo bike I rode had eagle and I must admit it was nice to have that huge gear in the back. If you have the money I don't think you be disappointed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

decisions decisions.....
    Hi Mt.Biker E,

6.41lbs weight was based on what size frame, with what parts on the frame?

Balancing between weight n price, I am going with a RF G4 crank set n bb, Absolute Black boost Oval 32T ring, Eagle XO1 for the rest.

Properly over my comfort zone with the 32T n 12 speed with my riding skill (or rather lack of skill) n trails I will be riding the Calling but hopefully I can pick up the strength n speed...

ZEN RIDER!
    Medium frame, head set & shock I would guess. Seems accurate looking at the other Evil bikes they have listed.

Just checked the Eagle weight with chain ring 493 grams.
    Brings it close with the G4 at 430.
    Still deciding on hoops. Hope 250's with stans new rim or maybe litecycles carbon wide rim 35 or 40mm. about the same $$.
    Life in every breath

mtbr member

Wrench Science says 6.61 lbs and Fanatik says 6.58 estimated weight. Where are you getting 6.41 ? I would guess they're Medium frames with shock. No headset, no seat collar no Frame protection. I would also guess the over 7lb numbers are coming from people weighing them with the downtube BB protector and seat collar. I'm going to run my next frame with xtr shifter, cranks and rear derailleur but use an e13 cassette - either 44 or 46 granny.

Edit they're both saying 6.61 for a Medium. I realized if you clicked on different sizes the weights changed duh.

ZEN RIDER!
    I probably just remembered wrong, i'm old, it happens. kinda like when you first sit on your balls lol.
    I'm going to spec out both and see what the price and weight difference is.
    Life in every breath

mtbr member
    Am I understanding the geometry table correctly on Evil's website that I need a 43mm offset fork?

ZEN RIDER!
    I believe that's the offset in regards to the headtube and fork.
    Fox 27.5 should be 44mm.
    Life in every breath

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast