Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    mtbr member
    The shop I go to (Bauerhaus Bikes in Boise, ID) put it on for me but you should be able to order it from Slikgraphics. Just make sure you specify Evil Calling Angry Dolphin as a custom color and they should be able to match it up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Thanks flippin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleMtnSlayer View Post
    Thanks flippin
    Another sample of their work. This is my Spartan. 2 different forks. Pike 160 and 36 RC2 170
    Is something EVIL.........CALLING?-img_2355a.jpg

Is something EVIL.........CALLING?-2017-02-18_11-09-40.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Hey JC, sweet ride. Hey looking for your feedback since I know you have experience on a lot of the bikes I am looking at. Coming from a Nomad looking for something more playful but can still handle tech/rock gardens. Been considering either adding a 5010 or something like a calling, recluse, bronson, jeffsy 27.5 and selling the Nomad. What are your thoughts on some of the bikes mentioned/recommendations based on what I am looking for? Thx DUDE!

Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    Picked mine up today. Weight for large with pedals (342g) is 29.72lbs. It feels a lot lighter riding it around though and I'm used to 27-28lb bikes. Love it!
    Attachment 1120405

ZEN RIDER!
    Life in every breath

Brand Ambassador SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by jsites.slo View Post
    Hey JC, sweet ride. Hey looking for your feedback since I know you have experience on a lot of the bikes I am looking at. Coming from a Nomad looking for something more playful but can still handle tech/rock gardens. Been considering either adding a 5010 or something like a calling, recluse, bronson, jeffsy 27.5 and selling the Nomad. What are your thoughts on some of the bikes mentioned/recommendations based on what I am looking for? Thx DUDE!
    So far this thing hasn't let me down. It is quite amazing that it is only 131mm of travel. I really loved my Spider 275c for how playful it was and the superb climbing efficiency but it beat me up on the really rough descents. It could handle the rough for sure but it didn't feel very nice compared to say the Tracer. The Calling feels MUCH more composed and doesn't beat me up yet retains a very playful attitude and maneuverability is crazy. Sometimes I ride ADHD style in that I start off going fast and have a path lined up but then I see something to the side that I want to hit and SQUIRREL I immediately switch direction to hit whatever caught my eye. This bike allows me to ride like a nutcase without a solid goal in mind except to have fun. The solid build and super forgiving geometry and suspension keeps me safe when I'm riding like a hack. It's definitely more playful and efficient than the Nomad I borrowed a few weeks ago. Great bike but a different category for sure.

mtbr member
    Waiting on rims
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is something EVIL.........CALLING?-img_1381.jpg  

mtbr member

I know what I'm doing tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hi,

Newbie to Evil bikes, do I set the sag meter just below the 30% mark or cover up the 30% mark for the sag?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    If I'm remembering correctly, Evil's thinking is you obscure the mark. But be willing to play around at just +/- 30%. On my Insurgent, I ended up settling around 27-28% measured on the Monarch shaft marks and just below the mark on on the meter. ~210 psi or slightly under and I weigh ~155 in riding gear. My feeling is that, with regard to this shock, the pedaling platform is quite a bit better than 30% and it brings the bottom out resistance up a bit to where it's perfect for my style. Overall bike balance feels better, too. Set at 30%, the plush feel is indisputable, but I felt the rear felt slightly squatty under pedaling and the the travel o-ring would be knocked off the shock several times per ride. For reference, I'm running a Lyrik 160, solo air, again set-up at 27-28 percent sag. All this said, the DELTA is a great performer. Set-up anywhere near 30% will make for an incredible ride. Sorry for the long-winded reply!

mtbr member

Is something EVIL.........CALLING?

Finally got mine built up last night and I noticed some vertical play when I had picked up the bike from the frame to hang on the wall. I could see linkage move as if the shock wasn't extended all the way. Any suggestions? I'm going to go through everything with a torque wrench to see if that helps.
    Last edited by jdcatnau; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:14 AM. Reason: Added clarification

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdcatnau View Post
    Finally got mine built up last night and I noticed some vertical play when I had picked up the bike from the frame to hang on the wall. I could see linkage move as if the shock wasn't extended all the way. Any suggestions? I'm going to go through everything with a torque wrench to see if that helps.
    it's normal for the fork and shock to settle a tiny bit from the weight of the bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    [QUOTE=jdcatnau;13069811 I'm going to go through everything with a torque wrench to see if that helps.[/QUOTE]
    Usually A good idea to deflate your shock before torquing things down. Just take note of psi, deflate it, and then go to town. Less loading on the hardware.

fc
    mtbr founder Administrator
    Hey Dom,

It called me to and I answered! Is something EVIL.........CALLING?-p3020049.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    It's done! Shimano XT drive train except race face turbine cranks and AB 32 chainring
    XT brakes
    Crank Brother highline dropper
    Rental bars and stem
    Stans flow rims with Onyx hubs
    Ethirteen tires
    WTB volt saddle

It's done! Shimano XT drive train except race face turbine cranks and AB 32 chainring
    XT brakes
    Crank Brother highline dropper
    Rental bars and stem
    Stans flow rims with Onyx hubs
    Ethirteen tires
    WTB volt saddle

Slick! Congrats man.

My fork decals showed up yesterday!
    Is something EVIL.........CALLING?-16683234_10154400320206295_1594202316_n.png

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho View Post
    it's normal for the fork and shock to settle a tiny bit from the weight of the bike.
    Found the lower shock bolt to be loose. Snugged everything to torque spec on the bolts and it's now tight, no vertical play.

Found the lower shock bolt to be loose. Snugged everything to torque spec on the bolts and it's now tight, no vertical play.
    Put some blue Loctite on it. Mine came loose twice. Then the head stripped while trying to torque it to spec. Set the Wrench for 65 in.lbs and striiiiip. The bolts are very soft so I don't want to touch it often.

mtbr member
    Put some blue Loctite on it. Mine came loose twice. Then the head stripped while trying to torque it to spec. Set the Wrench for 65 in.lbs and striiiiip. The bolts are very soft so I don't want to touch it often.
    That's weird, mine says 85 in/lbs.

That's weird, mine says 85 in/lbs.

]
    Mine too. That's my point. I was 20 in.lbs lower than spec and it still stripped. Eek!

mtbr member
    Sexy....but why is it clean? ;-)
    "You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing!" - Unigeezer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominator13 View Post
    Sexy....but why is it clean? ;-)
    Waiting for 16" of snow to melt, but it's a good thing I'm only 45-min from Sedona.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=jdcatnau;13072876]Waiting for 16" of snow to melt, but it's a good thing I'm only 45

Nice! Should've gone to the Fat Tire Fest. I do understand that weather thing. Hasn't been much of an issue here in Santa Cruz over the last few years, but it is boggy now. It'll take a week to dry after even the slightest rainfall. Have to do the steep rocky runs, which there aren't many of. I know....blah, whine, blah.
    "You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing!" - Unigeezer

mtbr member
    Anyone with RF cinch cranks experience rubbing on the chain guide in the two lowest (large) cogs? I added another spacer to the BB as Dom referenced but now the chain is rubbing on the highest (small) cogs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Anyone with RF cinch cranks experience rubbing on the chain guide in the two lowest (large) cogs? I added another spacer to the BB as Dom referenced but now the chain is rubbing on the highest (small) cogs.
    Yes...

To finish with my nightmare-ish issue with my Next SL, I ended up adding 2 very thin spacers between the cup and the crankset, so outside of the BB. It works, but the chain definitely rubs against the chainguide on the two lowest (large) cogs.If I put more spacer, I can't tighten the DS arm on the spinde. I still dont understand what is wrong.

Anyway, it works now. It rubs a little, but it works. The chainline is definitely not optimal in my opinion.

Is something EVIL.........CALLING?-p4pb14483413.jpg
    Is something EVIL.........CALLING?-p4pb14483411.jpg
    Is something EVIL.........CALLING?-p4pb14483408.jpg
    French line enthusiast and expat in Denver

I like bikes, I really do.

mtbr member
    Are you using boost chainring?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    In my case, I'm using the standard Cinch Raceface 30teeth chainring, good question for Jdcatnau though.

mtbr member
    I should have mentioned this before. I got a Boost specific chain ring that fits a 12 spd and was able to remove the spacer. Works like a charm now.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by AaronJobe View Post
    Are you using boost chainring?
    Yes, absolute black boost cinch with shimano 1x11.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017

140 or 150mm fork

Hello Calling owners, just received this grey beauty of a frame and parts are trickling in.

Fox 36 RC2 arrives next week, and will need to be dropped in travel. Planning on 140mm, does anyone have any experience with a 150mm fork on the calling? How does it behave?

Also, any WB cage recommendations that match the bomber vibes of the frame?

Is something EVIL.........CALLING?-fullsizerender.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mckleroy View Post
    Hello Calling owners, just received this grey beauty of a frame and parts are trickling in.

Fox 36 RC2 arrives next week, and will need to be dropped in travel. Planning on 140mm, does anyone have any experience with a 150mm fork on the calling? How does it behave?

Also, any WB cage recommendations that match the bomber vibes of the frame?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	1125893
    I used the Fabric cageless WB. It looks less goofy on days I'm not using a bottle. Drawback is it makes removing the bottle harder. I tend to pull hard enough to smack my knuckles on the frame. lol

Robertson
    I used the Fabric cageless WB. It looks less goofy on days I'm not using a bottle. Drawback is it makes removing the bottle harder. I tend to pull hard enough to smack my knuckles on the frame. lol
    This is an odd request, but would you mind measuring the distance from the center of the bottom bolt hole on your water bottle to the bottom of it? Wanting to put one of these on my Wreckoning but the water bottle bosses are pretty low near the shock...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Hey Dom,

It called me to and I answered! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3020049.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	1124749
    Well? You've had to of been shredding on it the past couple of days. So, your thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by rpearce1475 View Post
    This is an odd request, but would you mind measuring the distance from the center of the bottom bolt hole on your water bottle to the bottom of it? Wanting to put one of these on my Wreckoning but the water bottle bosses are pretty low near the shock...
    It appears to be approx. 46mm from the middle of the bottom bolt to the bottom of the water bottle. It sits against the top of the trunnion mount shock. I measured from the middle of the actual bolt to the top of the shock and got the same number.

mtbr member
    Is something EVIL.........CALLING?-img_1466.jpgIs something EVIL.........CALLING?-img_1480.jpgIs something EVIL.........CALLING?-img_1474.jpgIs something EVIL.........CALLING?-img_1471.jpg

mtbr member

[QUOTE=AaronJobe;13088916]
    Looks good

Quote Originally Posted by AaronJobe View Post
    ]
    Nice rigs!

Finally put my fork decals on.
    Is something EVIL.........CALLING?-2182017163146.jpg

mtbr member

Maiden ride

Her first ride on what was supposed to be my Calling. I'm definitely not getting it back now. She even likes it better than her Insurgent (with the 11-6/Enve wheelset). Still way better than a girl that's into jewelry.
    Is something EVIL.........CALLING?-2017-03-19_08-05-21.jpgIs something EVIL.........CALLING?-2017-03-19_08-04-51.jpgIs something EVIL.........CALLING?-2017-03-19_08-04-07.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho View Post
    Her first ride on what was supposed to be my Calling. I'm definitely not getting it back now. She even likes it better than her Insurgent (with the 11-6/Enve wheelset). Still way better than a girl that's into jewelry.
    Haha sucker! I'm lucky my Calling is 2 sizes too large or my girl would steal it too.

mtbr member
    Haha sucker! I'm lucky my Calling is 2 sizes too large or my girl would steal it too.
    Lucky you!

The good thing about us riding the same size bikes is that when she's not around, I can "borrow" it just by switching post and pedals.
    Is something EVIL.........CALLING?-2017-03-19_08-50-23.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Got about 15 rides in. pretty rad. Swapped out components form a 5010cc. 5'11" 205lb, comfortable on the medium with a 50mm stem. Also have a med wreckoning, this fits much better, feels bigger. running 29-30% sag. the superdeluxe is super deluxe! Pedals very well, relative even to a 5010, western mass has plenty of very technical climbing, especially with snow. The build is light which helps at 27lb. 3 oz. Posted a bike check on Vital.
    Evil The Calling light-n-sprite - eastenwreckoning543's Bike Check - Vital MTB

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by planetx88 View Post
    Got about 15 rides in. pretty rad. Swapped out components form a 5010cc. 5'11" 205lb, comfortable on the medium with a 50mm stem. Also have a med wreckoning, this fits much better, feels bigger. running 29-30% sag. the superdeluxe is super deluxe! Pedals very well, relative even to a 5010, western mass has plenty of very technical climbing, especially with snow. The build is light which helps at 27lb. 3 oz. Posted a bike check on Vital.
    Which bike would you say is more playful/agile? The 5010 or the Calling?

Guessing the Calling would be a fair bit heavier?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by planetx88 View Post
    . The build is light which helps at 27lb. 3 oz. Posted a bike check on Vital.
    I'm surprised you get more than 3 pounds of difference with mine (on which I believe you have the only comment ) !

I have tires a lot heavier, it's a large, but it was weighted before I replaced the Hope X2 with Saints.

At least I know I have room for improvement. I think I'm going to get a HRII front and a Minion SS rear. Lighter than my Michelin, and probably a lot faster rolling and adequate for the Colorado hardpack

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    My Calling frame has been delivered, ordering a bunch of parts now.

Question - do I need a post to post adapter to run a 180mm rotor in the back? Or is the mount on the seat stay already set up for a 180mm rotor?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Yes, you need a post adaptor for a 180mm rotor. Frame was made for 160mm rotors.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345