Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member
    The shop I go to (Bauerhaus Bikes in Boise, ID) put it on for me but you should be able to order it from Slikgraphics. Just make sure you specify Evil Calling Angry Dolphin as a custom color and they should be able to match it up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Thanks flippin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleMtnSlayer View Post
    Thanks flippin
    Another sample of their work. This is my Spartan. 2 different forks. Pike 160 and 36 RC2 170
    Is something EVIL.........CALLING?-img_2355a.jpg

Is something EVIL.........CALLING?-2017-02-18_11-09-40.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Hey JC, sweet ride. Hey looking for your feedback since I know you have experience on a lot of the bikes I am looking at. Coming from a Nomad looking for something more playful but can still handle tech/rock gardens. Been considering either adding a 5010 or something like a calling, recluse, bronson, jeffsy 27.5 and selling the Nomad. What are your thoughts on some of the bikes mentioned/recommendations based on what I am looking for? Thx DUDE!

Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    Picked mine up today. Weight for large with pedals (342g) is 29.72lbs. It feels a lot lighter riding it around though and I'm used to 27-28lb bikes. Love it!
    Attachment 1120405

ZEN RIDER!
    Life in every breath

Captain One Lung SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by jsites.slo View Post
    Hey JC, sweet ride. Hey looking for your feedback since I know you have experience on a lot of the bikes I am looking at. Coming from a Nomad looking for something more playful but can still handle tech/rock gardens. Been considering either adding a 5010 or something like a calling, recluse, bronson, jeffsy 27.5 and selling the Nomad. What are your thoughts on some of the bikes mentioned/recommendations based on what I am looking for? Thx DUDE!
    So far this thing hasn't let me down. It is quite amazing that it is only 131mm of travel. I really loved my Spider 275c for how playful it was and the superb climbing efficiency but it beat me up on the really rough descents. It could handle the rough for sure but it didn't feel very nice compared to say the Tracer. The Calling feels MUCH more composed and doesn't beat me up yet retains a very playful attitude and maneuverability is crazy. Sometimes I ride ADHD style in that I start off going fast and have a path lined up but then I see something to the side that I want to hit and SQUIRREL I immediately switch direction to hit whatever caught my eye. This bike allows me to ride like a nutcase without a solid goal in mind except to have fun. The solid build and super forgiving geometry and suspension keeps me safe when I'm riding like a hack. It's definitely more playful and efficient than the Nomad I borrowed a few weeks ago. Great bike but a different category for sure.

mtbr member
    Waiting on rims
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is something EVIL.........CALLING?-img_1381.jpg  

mtbr member

I know what I'm doing tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hi,

Newbie to Evil bikes, do I set the sag meter just below the 30% mark or cover up the 30% mark for the sag?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    If I'm remembering correctly, Evil's thinking is you obscure the mark. But be willing to play around at just +/- 30%. On my Insurgent, I ended up settling around 27-28% measured on the Monarch shaft marks and just below the mark on on the meter. ~210 psi or slightly under and I weigh ~155 in riding gear. My feeling is that, with regard to this shock, the pedaling platform is quite a bit better than 30% and it brings the bottom out resistance up a bit to where it's perfect for my style. Overall bike balance feels better, too. Set at 30%, the plush feel is indisputable, but I felt the rear felt slightly squatty under pedaling and the the travel o-ring would be knocked off the shock several times per ride. For reference, I'm running a Lyrik 160, solo air, again set-up at 27-28 percent sag. All this said, the DELTA is a great performer. Set-up anywhere near 30% will make for an incredible ride. Sorry for the long-winded reply!

mtbr member

Is something EVIL.........CALLING?

Finally got mine built up last night and I noticed some vertical play when I had picked up the bike from the frame to hang on the wall. I could see linkage move as if the shock wasn't extended all the way. Any suggestions? I'm going to go through everything with a torque wrench to see if that helps.
    Last edited by jdcatnau; 03-04-2017 at 07:14 AM. Reason: Added clarification

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdcatnau View Post
    Finally got mine built up last night and I noticed some vertical play when I had picked up the bike from the frame to hang on the wall. I could see linkage move as if the shock wasn't extended all the way. Any suggestions? I'm going to go through everything with a torque wrench to see if that helps.
    it's normal for the fork and shock to settle a tiny bit from the weight of the bike.

battle stag commander
    [QUOTE=jdcatnau;13069811 I'm going to go through everything with a torque wrench to see if that helps.[/QUOTE]
    Usually A good idea to deflate your shock before torquing things down. Just take note of psi, deflate it, and then go to town. Less loading on the hardware.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Hey Dom,

It called me to and I answered! Is something EVIL.........CALLING?-p3020049.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    It's done! Shimano XT drive train except race face turbine cranks and AB 32 chainring
    XT brakes
    Crank Brother highline dropper
    Rental bars and stem
    Stans flow rims with Onyx hubs
    Ethirteen tires
    WTB volt saddle

It's done! Shimano XT drive train except race face turbine cranks and AB 32 chainring
    XT brakes
    Crank Brother highline dropper
    Rental bars and stem
    Stans flow rims with Onyx hubs
    Ethirteen tires
    WTB volt saddle

Slick! Congrats man.

My fork decals showed up yesterday!
    Is something EVIL.........CALLING?-16683234_10154400320206295_1594202316_n.png

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho View Post
    it's normal for the fork and shock to settle a tiny bit from the weight of the bike.
    Found the lower shock bolt to be loose. Snugged everything to torque spec on the bolts and it's now tight, no vertical play.

Found the lower shock bolt to be loose. Snugged everything to torque spec on the bolts and it's now tight, no vertical play.
    Put some blue Loctite on it. Mine came loose twice. Then the head stripped while trying to torque it to spec. Set the Wrench for 65 in.lbs and striiiiip. The bolts are very soft so I don't want to touch it often.

mtbr member
    Put some blue Loctite on it. Mine came loose twice. Then the head stripped while trying to torque it to spec. Set the Wrench for 65 in.lbs and striiiiip. The bolts are very soft so I don't want to touch it often.
    That's weird, mine says 85 in/lbs.

That's weird, mine says 85 in/lbs.

]
    Mine too. That's my point. I was 20 in.lbs lower than spec and it still stripped. Eek!

mtbr member
    Sexy....but why is it clean? ;-)
    "You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing!" - Unigeezer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominator13 View Post
    Sexy....but why is it clean? ;-)
    Waiting for 16" of snow to melt, but it's a good thing I'm only 45-min from Sedona.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=jdcatnau;13072876]Waiting for 16" of snow to melt, but it's a good thing I'm only 45

Nice! Should've gone to the Fat Tire Fest. I do understand that weather thing. Hasn't been much of an issue here in Santa Cruz over the last few years, but it is boggy now. It'll take a week to dry after even the slightest rainfall. Have to do the steep rocky runs, which there aren't many of. I know....blah, whine, blah.
    "You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing!" - Unigeezer

mtbr member
    Anyone with RF cinch cranks experience rubbing on the chain guide in the two lowest (large) cogs? I added another spacer to the BB as Dom referenced but now the chain is rubbing on the highest (small) cogs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Anyone with RF cinch cranks experience rubbing on the chain guide in the two lowest (large) cogs? I added another spacer to the BB as Dom referenced but now the chain is rubbing on the highest (small) cogs.
    Yes...

To finish with my nightmare-ish issue with my Next SL, I ended up adding 2 very thin spacers between the cup and the crankset, so outside of the BB. It works, but the chain definitely rubs against the chainguide on the two lowest (large) cogs.If I put more spacer, I can't tighten the DS arm on the spinde. I still dont understand what is wrong.

Anyway, it works now. It rubs a little, but it works. The chainline is definitely not optimal in my opinion.

Is something EVIL.........CALLING?-p4pb14483413.jpg
    Is something EVIL.........CALLING?-p4pb14483411.jpg
    Is something EVIL.........CALLING?-p4pb14483408.jpg
    French line enthusiast and expat in Denver

I like bikes, I really do.

mtbr member
    Are you using boost chainring?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    In my case, I'm using the standard Cinch Raceface 30teeth chainring, good question for Jdcatnau though.

mtbr member
    I should have mentioned this before. I got a Boost specific chain ring that fits a 12 spd and was able to remove the spacer. Works like a charm now.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by AaronJobe View Post
    Are you using boost chainring?
    Yes, absolute black boost cinch with shimano 1x11.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017

140 or 150mm fork

Hello Calling owners, just received this grey beauty of a frame and parts are trickling in.

Fox 36 RC2 arrives next week, and will need to be dropped in travel. Planning on 140mm, does anyone have any experience with a 150mm fork on the calling? How does it behave?

Also, any WB cage recommendations that match the bomber vibes of the frame?

Is something EVIL.........CALLING?-fullsizerender.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mckleroy View Post
    Hello Calling owners, just received this grey beauty of a frame and parts are trickling in.

Fox 36 RC2 arrives next week, and will need to be dropped in travel. Planning on 140mm, does anyone have any experience with a 150mm fork on the calling? How does it behave?

Also, any WB cage recommendations that match the bomber vibes of the frame?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	1125893
    I used the Fabric cageless WB. It looks less goofy on days I'm not using a bottle. Drawback is it makes removing the bottle harder. I tend to pull hard enough to smack my knuckles on the frame. lol

Robertson
    I used the Fabric cageless WB. It looks less goofy on days I'm not using a bottle. Drawback is it makes removing the bottle harder. I tend to pull hard enough to smack my knuckles on the frame. lol
    This is an odd request, but would you mind measuring the distance from the center of the bottom bolt hole on your water bottle to the bottom of it? Wanting to put one of these on my Wreckoning but the water bottle bosses are pretty low near the shock...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Hey Dom,

It called me to and I answered! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3020049.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	1124749
    Well? You've had to of been shredding on it the past couple of days. So, your thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by rpearce1475 View Post
    This is an odd request, but would you mind measuring the distance from the center of the bottom bolt hole on your water bottle to the bottom of it? Wanting to put one of these on my Wreckoning but the water bottle bosses are pretty low near the shock...
    It appears to be approx. 46mm from the middle of the bottom bolt to the bottom of the water bottle. It sits against the top of the trunnion mount shock. I measured from the middle of the actual bolt to the top of the shock and got the same number.

mtbr member
    Is something EVIL.........CALLING?-img_1466.jpgIs something EVIL.........CALLING?-img_1480.jpgIs something EVIL.........CALLING?-img_1474.jpgIs something EVIL.........CALLING?-img_1471.jpg

mtbr member

[QUOTE=AaronJobe;13088916]
    Looks good

]
    Nice rigs!

Finally put my fork decals on.
    Is something EVIL.........CALLING?-2182017163146.jpg

mtbr member

Maiden ride

Her first ride on what was supposed to be my Calling. I'm definitely not getting it back now. She even likes it better than her Insurgent (with the 11-6/Enve wheelset). Still way better than a girl that's into jewelry.
    Is something EVIL.........CALLING?-2017-03-19_08-05-21.jpgIs something EVIL.........CALLING?-2017-03-19_08-04-51.jpgIs something EVIL.........CALLING?-2017-03-19_08-04-07.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho View Post
    Her first ride on what was supposed to be my Calling. I'm definitely not getting it back now. She even likes it better than her Insurgent (with the 11-6/Enve wheelset). Still way better than a girl that's into jewelry.
    Haha sucker! I'm lucky my Calling is 2 sizes too large or my girl would steal it too.

mtbr member
    Haha sucker! I'm lucky my Calling is 2 sizes too large or my girl would steal it too.
    Lucky you!

The good thing about us riding the same size bikes is that when she's not around, I can "borrow" it just by switching post and pedals.
    Is something EVIL.........CALLING?-2017-03-19_08-50-23.jpg

battle stag commander
    Got about 15 rides in. pretty rad. Swapped out components form a 5010cc. 5'11" 205lb, comfortable on the medium with a 50mm stem. Also have a med wreckoning, this fits much better, feels bigger. running 29-30% sag. the superdeluxe is super deluxe! Pedals very well, relative even to a 5010, western mass has plenty of very technical climbing, especially with snow. The build is light which helps at 27lb. 3 oz. Posted a bike check on Vital.
    Evil The Calling light-n-sprite - eastenwreckoning543's Bike Check - Vital MTB

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by planetx88 View Post
    Got about 15 rides in. pretty rad. Swapped out components form a 5010cc. 5'11" 205lb, comfortable on the medium with a 50mm stem. Also have a med wreckoning, this fits much better, feels bigger. running 29-30% sag. the superdeluxe is super deluxe! Pedals very well, relative even to a 5010, western mass has plenty of very technical climbing, especially with snow. The build is light which helps at 27lb. 3 oz. Posted a bike check on Vital.
    Which bike would you say is more playful/agile? The 5010 or the Calling?

Guessing the Calling would be a fair bit heavier?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    . The build is light which helps at 27lb. 3 oz. Posted a bike check on Vital.
    I'm surprised you get more than 3 pounds of difference with mine (on which I believe you have the only comment ) !

I have tires a lot heavier, it's a large, but it was weighted before I replaced the Hope X2 with Saints.

At least I know I have room for improvement. I think I'm going to get a HRII front and a Minion SS rear. Lighter than my Michelin, and probably a lot faster rolling and adequate for the Colorado hardpack

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    My Calling frame has been delivered, ordering a bunch of parts now.

Question - do I need a post to post adapter to run a 180mm rotor in the back? Or is the mount on the seat stay already set up for a 180mm rotor?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Yes, you need a post adaptor for a 180mm rotor. Frame was made for 160mm rotors.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Here you go....

Is something EVIL.........CALLING?-img_5415-1-.jpg

Is something EVIL.........CALLING?-img_5438.jpg
    IPA will save America

Here you go....
    *sings*
    Get up, come on get down with the sickness
    Open up your hate, and let it flow into me

Hey, that's recyclable!
    Apr 2007

Medium frame weight

My large with rear shock and headset was under that on the shop scale. The picture I saw looked like 6.14lbs. I'll try to confirm.
    Since I'm sure someone out there wants to know here is the weight for a medium frame with headset cups (I'm too lazy to pound those out just for fun) but no shock, rear axle, or seat collar. The weights for those items are shown separately. If I add the weights up I get 3382g or about 7.44 pounds or about 7lb 7oz. For reference that's darn close to the weight of the aluminum Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail with a CCDBa I was previously riding. The Calling is not a light carbon frame. But since the difference between a light frame and a heavy frame is only about a pound (assuming the same rear shock) and I weigh 135 pounds there's less than a 1% difference between a light frame and a heavy frame in the total weight I have to muscle uphill. Not going to stress about it being a "heavy" frame.

Frame
    Is something EVIL.........CALLING?-frame.jpgIs something EVIL.........CALLING?-scalecloseup.jpg

Is something EVIL.........CALLING?-axle-600x800-.jpgIs something EVIL.........CALLING?-rearshock-600x800-.jpgIs something EVIL.........CALLING?-seatcollar-600x800-.jpg
    Last edited by Olga_icannot; 03-23-2017 at 03:58 PM. Reason: added my jerkhole opinion about frame weight

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Man shame these are so heavy.. was pretty keen on one as a good all rounder. But it'd be heavier than my 150mm ibis.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Here you go....

Name:	IMG_5415 (1).jpg 
Views:	455 
Size:	209.4 KB 
ID:	1128121

Name:	IMG_5438.jpg 
Size:	183.3 KB 
ID:	1128122
    28 lbs is light for a Calling dude.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Yeah that build has come in light!

battle stag commander
    Quote Originally Posted by greddyvox View Post
    Which bike would you say is more playful/agile? The 5010 or the Calling?

Guessing the Calling would be a fair bit heavier?
    well, yes I find it more agile. I also found myself overforking the 5010 to 150mm to get to what I want, and some people may say that is taking the agility out of the 5010. I dont know, thats just the "agility" I go for. So if thats your style...Calling is a pound and a bit lighter that the 5010 frame. The only other weight gain i made from 5010 to calling was a dropper. The important bits-wheels and cranks were already light.

battle stag commander
    Quote Originally Posted by xavierp View Post
    I'm surprised you get more than 3 pounds of difference with mine
    I only partly care about how much my bike weighs. Frame and shock, nah, dont care. Wheels and cranks and this that spin, yep, I care. I would put in a plug for those forekasters as I have had good luck with them so far, they roll well, and are pretty rugged. Not doing lift days on them, but short of that, real nice. they are light, they help the weight thing.

ZEN RIDER!
    I was persevering over the frame weight until I started to think about the intended use of the frame. Lighter isn't always better. Its meant to be ridden and pushed hard for a 130mm ride.
    Life in every breath

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Fitzgerald View Post
    Man shame these are so heavy.. was pretty keen on one as a good all rounder. But it'd be heavier than my 150mm ibis.

Honestly you don't notice the weight on the trail. I've been riding 26-27lb bikes and my 29lb Calling is great. If anything I think the weight helps on the chunky stuff.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    My Calling....
    Size S frame with Eagle XO1 n RF G4 crankset. RSC brakes, Fox Transfer dropper w/ Wolftooth remote, Rental 35s bar n stem. LB 30mm inner width carbon rims with DT Swiss 240S hubs wrap with Hans Dampf tires. 12.6kg.
    Is something EVIL.........CALLING?-20170324_094232.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is something EVIL.........CALLING?-20170324_112859.jpg  

mtbr member
    Have any of you added bands inside the super deluxe?

Quote Originally Posted by revver View Post
    My Calling....
    Size S frame with Eagle XO1 n RF G4 crankset. RSC brakes, Fox Transfer dropper w/ Wolftooth remote, Rental 35s bar n stem. LB 30mm inner width carbon rims with DT Swiss 240S hubs wrap with Hans Dampf tires. 12.6kg.
    ]
    Sweet! Did you do the 54T ratchet on those hubs?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Sweet! Did you do the 54T ratchet on those hubs?
    Yes, added the 54T at my LBS, they came with 18T from LB

undercover brother
    They are now tokens, and good luck finding any...

But in all reality, I've hucking the shit out of my calling and I don't feel I need any more progressivity. I run ~29% sag. DELTA is the shit!

battle stag commander
    Same as above. Keeping at stock for a bit, I like it. anyone actually seen the spacers for sale yet anywhere? I found the part number, but dont see anyone selling it.

#11.4118.042.0011

Phil smashing a DH course with his new Calling.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Is something EVIL.........CALLING?-img_4448.jpg

Love the agility on the single tracks

mtbr member
    Phil smashing a DH course with his new Calling.

Yeah....that's how I IMAGINE I ride my Calling. ;-)

Funny shit, riding with guys on dual crowns. Seriously good riding right there.

mtbr member
    Here you go....

Name:	IMG_5415 (1).jpg 
Views:	455 
Size:	209.4 KB 
ID:	1128121

Name:	IMG_5438.jpg 
Size:	183.3 KB 
ID:	1128122
    .....and? What are your thoughts? Or, are you out there riding it, instead of typing, because it's sooooo much fun!? :-)

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Finished my Calling build over the weekend. Just FYI, the Shimano XT crankset is perfect for this frame (the non-boost version with a chainline of 50.4mm). With an extra 0.7mm spacer on the drive side, it puts the chainline at 51.1mm, exactly in the middle of the guide and the chain doesn't drop when back pedaling in the 42 gear.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jwren00 View Post
    and the chain doesn't drop when back pedaling in the 42 gear.
    Prove it!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Subscribed

mtbr member
    Is it me or is the chain line with Shimano 11-speed really bad. I was going to add a small spacer to my Turbine cranks but when I was looking at the chain and I was wondering how it was staying on the chainring. It almost seems like a spacer needs to be on the cassette to push it out more. I'm going to live with the chain rubbing the plastic part of the chain guide.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominator13 View Post
    .....and? What are your thoughts? Or, are you out there riding it, instead of typing, because it's sooooo much fun!? :-)

It is A+!!!!!
    Is something EVIL.........CALLING?-img_5451-1-.jpg

Is something EVIL.........CALLING?-img_5455.jpg

It's like the Wreckoning but more perfect for Santa Cruz and mildly rowdy, very rad trails.
    IPA will save America

fnInt(1/x^2,x,0,1)
    FC - what size are those tires on the Calling? What's the biggest (width and height) in 27.5" that would fit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Has anybody gone 26+ besides fanatik? I am going to get a set as soon as maxxis makes a 26x2.8

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I tested 27.5 x2.6 rear with no issue. 2.8 is a little too tight. The 34 can take a 27.5x2.8 with ample clearance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by xavierp View Post
    I'm surprised you get more than 3 pounds of difference with mine (on which I believe you have the only comment ) !
    Thinking to get rid off my Calling already. Not that I don't like (I really do), but it's not exactly what I wanted... I wanted to get a bike more backcountry oriented, able to get me on longer riders in the mountains. I don't do gravity stuffs anymore.

Still thinking about it though. I mean, I like the bike...

How do you price a relatively new frame with only slightly older components ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    What cant the Calling do well in regards to back country epic rides?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I'm talking much smaller bike. The Calling still has a big bike feel. I mean, you can really charge on this thing. It's a good climber, but after 300km, I just don't see myself riding 8 hours a day on it (maybe a position issue too). I don't have the feeling it's a very forgiving bike. Tons of fun, play bike, yes. But it requires focus.

EDIT: I'm not saying it makes sense I've been riding for 15 years, tried many many bikes, and I have a very good idea of what I want
    Last edited by xavierp; 04-01-2017 at 04:37 PM.

LCW
    mtbr member
    It is A+!!!!!

Name:	IMG_5451 (1).jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	1129000

Name:	IMG_5455.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	1129002

It's like the Wreckoning but more perfect for Santa Cruz and mildly rowdy, very rad trails.
    Size of both your Calling and Wreckoning?

Santa Cruz Hightower LT
    EVIL Following

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Anyone stuck a stick down the seat tube to see what the "actual" available depth is for a dropper? Most of the time it's longer than what's listed.

battle stag commander
    Id recommend a light and a tape measure. there is a internal routing sleeve that you dont want to measure past. from my recollection it is not at the lowest point because of how mold was made, so dont trust the "stick" test.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by fleanutz View Post
    FC - what size are those tires on the Calling? What's the biggest (width and height) in 27.5" that would fit?

The tire is a massive 2.35 Vittoria. Big 2.5 tires will fit. Real 2.6 tires will fit with not much mud clearance.
    IPA will save America

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    Size of both your Calling and Wreckoning?
    These are both mediums.
    IPA will save America

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Id recommend a light and a tape measure. there is a internal routing sleeve that you dont want to measure past. from my recollection it is not at the lowest point because of how mold was made, so dont trust the "stick" test.
    You have to do it with a tube of the exact diameter... aka long rigid post. Any interruption in the perfect round seat tube will stop a post.
    IPA will save America

fc
    stoked Administrator

I had a great ride with the Calling last night. 4000 foot descent with 1000 foot climb.

The DNA of this bike is agility and cornering and jumping. It is low, long and nimble. It's like riding a dirt jump bike on the trail.

It has very usable travel and geometry that's ready for play. Climbing, it can do that to but it's not the specialty.

It's a shred bike that will extract every ounce of fun from a tame or tech trail.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    You have to do it with a tube of the exact diameter... aka long rigid post. Any interruption in the perfect round seat tube will stop a post.
    Also, based on which dropper you use, the the cable hardware/mechanism at the bottom of the post can be a hard stop even before the actual bottom of the post connects with the interruption of the seat tube. I found this out with a Fox Transfer internal. The good thing is, they reconfigured the seat tube of the small Calling so it will actually take more post inside the seat tube than a small Insurgent. The small Insurgent has a max insertion of around 160-165mm IIRC.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Has anyone gottena ridiculously long dropper to fit in a small frame or tried determining what will actually fit, in a small? An ideal frame will allow you to drop all the way down to the seat collar.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonlui View Post
    Has anyone gottena ridiculously long dropper to fit in a small frame or tried determining what will actually fit, in a small? An ideal frame will allow you to drop all the way down to the seat collar.

Oh hell no. The seat tube is interrupted. A small frame rider will be lucky to get a 125mm dropper in. First you have to see how low the post will slam into the frame. Then when the dropper is extended out, the rider on the small frame has to actually be able to reach the pedals.

And to top it off, every dropper post manufacturer has different insert lengths and extended lengths.

I'm on a medium calling, 5'8" 30 inseam and am just able to fit a 150mm dropper. On a Nomad, I can fit a 170mm dropper since the seat tube is straight.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonlui View Post

My swag is that you can probably insert about 170mm into a small Calling.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    The new cannondale trigger just dropped with slacker HA and similar SA with a little more reach and WB. Looks like everyone wants to have a fun bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    fyi - the dropper cable internal routing tube on my calling frame prevented me from using a 150mm dropper on a medium size frame. I used a 125mm fox transfer. I could only stick a rigid seat post 210mm into the frame before it hits this tube. The obstruction it hits is not the frame, it's the routing tube. You may or may not have the same issue - if this tube didn't come up quite so high in the frame I'm sure I could have used a 150 dropper.

mtbr member

Finally got mine out on the local trails. Unfortunately the trails are still not ready yet.
    Last edited by jdcatnau; 04-12-2017 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Trails not trials

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Hi guy just wanted to get an update on your experiences with your callings. I am a proper Evil follower having owned both an insurgent and a dream build Wreckoning. I currently own a Transition Carbon Patrol, great bike but not quite as all round as I would like. The calling suggests it could be the bike I've been looking for, peddles well, descends well, fast, stable. My question is how easy is the bike to Manuel and is it easy to get in the air. Also does it was drops well ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Adam View Post
    Hi guy just wanted to get an update on your experiences with your callings. I am a proper Evil follower having owned both an insurgent and a dream build Wreckoning. I currently own a Transition Carbon Patrol, great bike but not quite as all round as I would like. The calling suggests it could be the bike I've been looking for, peddles well, descends well, fast, stable. My question is how easy is the bike to Manuel and is it easy to get in the air. Also does it was drops well ?

The Carbon Patrol, from what I've heard/read, is an awesome bike. Anyways, the Calling is a great all rounder. It does have limitations due to the 131mm travel out back. It is the easiest bike to manual that I've owned because of the short chain stays. It loves to fly....very stable and does very well on drops for the same reason.

mtbr member
    I'll mirror what Dominator13 said but will add that compared to the Insurgent it's faster in the corners but not as stable at speed (I've never ridden a Patrol or Wreckoning). I suspect that it's because the wheel base is not quite as long. One trait I appreciate about the bike is that the suspension does not spike at the end of it's travel (which is an Evil bike trait) that really allows you to charge given the amount of travel that it has. Evil's marketing material for this bike is spot on - it's a party bike that allows you to charge and/or pop off any trail feature in your sights.

mtbr member
    Anyone running their Calling in the x-low setting?

ZEN RIDER!
    Any updates after a couple months riding the Calling?

I'm waiting for fc's ride report on the Pivot 5.5.
    Not sure I need or want another 36 160 forked bike.
    It will be interesting to see the differences in climbing and weight.
    Life in every breath

Quote Originally Posted by Mt.Biker E View Post
    Any updates after a couple months riding the Calling?

I'm waiting for fc's ride report on the Pivot 5.5.
    Not sure I need or want another 36 160 forked bike.
    It will be interesting to see the differences in climbing and weight.
    I don't know how fc feels about it but I love it! I was a little concerned that the climbing wasn't efficient enough but a combination of me being really out of shape, gaining weight and not resetting the sag combined to make the bike feel sluggish compared to my old 2016 Spider 275c. I reset the sag and it climbs great. Pedal bob went away too. Everyone already knows it is playful and descends well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I'm in a similar boat to be honest I currently own a patrol and the bike is great, tad small for me but good. Trouble is I know I don't need a 160mm for 90% of the riding I do. I ride a lot of single track / trail riding. Climbs and descents with peddling. Few times a year I jump on an uplift day and ride reds-blacks. I've been searching for a bike that is fun and does the riding I do but still enables me to do the uplifts with confidence and not feel under biked. I guess a lot of the 160mm travel bike comes down to that, not wanting to feel under biked. The question is , is that the Patrol or is it a shorter travel bike that actually isn't any better at the climbs and peddles

mtbr member

I'm liking it so far.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast