Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Evil Bikes: The Wreckoning - User Review

It's about that time.

wretch
    Mine looks great in pieces. Waiting on wheels and Reverb. But have not been this excited to hop on a new bike in a long time. Coming off an Enduro 29 and RIP RDO.

----
    Fox Float 36 -110
    Push Eleven Six
    Reverb
    XTR 1x w/ XT Cassette
    Deity DC31 Bar + grips
    Deity 35mm Stem
    Enve M70 HV + King hubs
    WTB Rubber + Saddle

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Truckee Trash - What size frame did you end up on, and what size E29 were you riding? Height & inseem? Trying to decide between M and L on the Wreckoning. The Enduro 29 is one bike I can actually compare against.

wretch
    I went XL - I was on a Large Enduro and should have been on an XL - i've spent too many years sizing down! 6'3" w/ atleast 34" inseam. My old RIP RDO was the first XL i've had and it felt great to finally be riding "in" the bike vs. on top of it. I should have it built up Wednesday or Thursday of this week!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hi Truckee Trash, as soon you try the bike, please upload a comparison against the E29.

Im waiting to see the Enduro 29 and decide between the E29 and the Evil.

Long Travel Lover
    Sub'd. Report after dialing and more riding.
    Big Wheels and Fat Skis keep me young.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Gonna be on 18Rd. in Fruita this weekend getting mine dialed in. I'll post some feedback Monday, maybe Sunday night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wretch
    Will do - waiting on a replacement front brake - it's killing me!

"so pitted"
    Wreckoning Ride Report (posted this in an earlier thread a week or so ago)

Background

I own a Following and I consider it one of the best bikes I have ridden in my 20 years of mashing pedals. The Following is definitely in my top 5 of all time (in no order: following, uprising, SC V10-26in, Knolly Endorphin-26in and Chromag Surface)

Stats

I'm 6'3/6'4 and 180lbs. I like my bikes on the smaller side so instead of XL's I usually ride L's. Just my preference and works with my riding style. I also ride 2-3 times a week in SoCal (dusty, rocky). My Following is a L with 170mm cranks, 50mm stem and 800mm bars (same thing with the Wreckoning)

Why the Wreckoning?

Even though the Following is more than capable of crushing most trails there have been times I had wished for more travel. With bike park season getting close I figured the Wreckoning would be a good addition to the quiver. I took it out and thrashed it around and here are my thoughts. Hopefully it can help some of you with making a decision to get one or not.

It's burly

First looking at it you realize how over built the Wreckoning is compared to the Following and it's clear why team dudes are winning DH races aboard this whip. Oversized tubes and thick junctions are confidence inspiring and that's just based on the looks. My Wreckoning has the Vivid shock and Boost Lyrik Dual position.

Going up

The bike is noticeably heavier than the Following but the Wreckoning still can climb with the best or at least bikes in the same class. Definitely not the fastest up the hill and not as fast as the Following going up but if you buy this bike you obviously aren't buying it to crush those fire road climbs. Rest assured you can still crank up the hill and enjoy the ride down.

Flats and "playfulness"

The first thing you notice is that this bike only comes to life when things start getting fast. At slower to moderate speeds the bike felt like a tank and doesn't have that willingness to slash and pop around the trail like the Following. However once I got up to speed the bike came to life and would crush bermed corners and eat any chunder or trail obstacles. Again, I wasn't able to bounce off objects or manual as easy but that would change once I got cooking.

Point it down and hold on

Now this is what this bike was meant to do. It's almost scary how dominating this rig is. It floats over the harsh terrain with ease and makes the steep technical gnar feel easy. Even when moments where I thought I was entering sections too fast the bike maintained composure and rolled through with ease. I was hooting and hollering down sections I'm normally quiet with laser like focus. It's the first "all mountain" rig I've ridden that reminded me of what it feels like riding a DH bike. Flat out ripper and confidence inspiring.

The bike handled slow tech really well which surprised me. I thought the 160mm fork, slacked front end and 29in wheel would make it clumsy but that wasn't the case. The bike definitely wants to be ridden fast though and even when I didn't pick the right line it didn't phase the bikes course of travel.

Should I get one?

I'm sure if you are still reading this you are trying to answer that question. It really comes down to the type of riding you do (or want to do). The Following is a super capable rig and has surprised me on numerous trails from bike parks to gnarly tech trails. The Following does get out of its comfort zone on trails that might normally be reserved for DH or "Freeride" style rigs but it will still get you down, it's just a bit more nerve racking. The Wreckoning (in my opinion) is aimed at the person who wants to tackle seriously treacherous terrain at speed. This bike is probably the closest to a DH bike I've ridden in the AM/Trail category. If you are looking for some thing with more travel for comfort or peace of mind this bike will satisfy that need as well. It won't win any hill climb races (unless it's technical / think truck-rock-crawler). You can't go wrong with either bike because both are super fun.

For you A.D.D types

-crushes downhills / closest to a DH bike but can go up hill
    -best when going fast
    -not as playful at slow to medium speeds compared to the Following
    -confidence inspiring
    -bad chain clearance with 32x10 but not a deal breaker
    -heavy compared to the Following but not a deal breaker
    -one of the most fun bikes I've ridden

See you out there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Does anyone have any experience riding their Wreck in extra-low vs low setting? Have only ridden in low setting so far.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016

30% Switch?

Evil Bikes: The Wreckoning - User Review-switch.jpg

Anyone know what flipping this switch forward to cover the 30% text vs flipping it to the opposite side of the track does to the bike? I didn't get any documentation with frame, leaves me thinking hmmmmmm....BTW the photo is rotated, this is actually non-drive side of bike, bottom left corner is actually the high side of the downtube.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnctzn View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	switch.jpg 
Views:	454 
Size:	161.9 KB 
ID:	1061098

Anyone know what flipping this switch forward to cover the 30% text vs flipping it to the opposite side of the track does to the bike? I didn't get any documentation with frame, leaves me thinking hmmmmmm....BTW the photo is rotated, this is actually non-drive side of bike, bottom left corner is actually the high side of the downtube.
    DO NOT FLIP THAT SWITCH, the shock linkage will fall apart!

Kidding, that's the built-in sag meter. Push the switch to cover the "30%", sit on the bike and see where it sits. The top edge should be at the line just below the "30%" text; you thereby know you're sagged in.

Note that this is not super-accurate; measuring via the O-ring on the shock is a better way to go.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Name:	switch.jpg 
Views:	454 
Size:	161.9 KB 
ID:	1061098

Tells you how bad ass your last ride was. Post back when it says 90%

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Evil Bikes: The Wreckoning - User Review-push11-6.jpg

Ok not badass yet, that was finger-net adjustment! Thanks for tuneup guys, using Push shock on new frame for first time, this will help me get a measure of how much travel I'm using.

Push shock is a really interesting experience so far. On my old ride (Rocky Altitude with Fox non-Evol can) the suspension was slightly mushy off the top in comparison, and really wallowed mid-stroke. Simplest way I can describe the Push so far is like it's not even really there, the bike just 'feels' like a short travel XC bike but you're getting a ton more travel. I think this is because the travel is just so dialed in, it feels supremely linear and supportive across the travel. It doesn't feel plush, nor does it feel harsh, it just feels solid and consistent. More as I get a better feel for it.

Lazy Overachiever
    Does anyone have any experience riding their Wreck in extra-low vs low setting? Have only ridden in low setting so far.
    Just ran X-low today. I also went down to a 50mm stem (had a 60) and until the mountains open up for some "steep", I think that I prefer the low and 60mm. I've got long-ass arms, and the combo of X-low and shorter stem left me feeling a little cramped. Maybe just go back to low for now.

Also, I noticed that I buzzed the seat tube (LB 38's/Minion SS)and smuged the sticker up a little....time for a new bike.

I said that I was going to post a reveiw last night, but..............life. Until I get some more time on the bike, and in different configurations, I'll keep it brief for now, with just some general thoughts and observations.

I'm 6'3"+ with 36+ inseam
    55 years old
    Aggressive rider; Cat1 XC, Cat2 CX, Open Veteran Enduro...done well in all.

I'm glad I listened to Chip, and got the XL. It really dosen't feel like too big(long) of a bike, and is so stable at speed. On the local trails, it's almost as quick as my Following (actually quicker on some). Once this thing gets on the steep and gnar this Summer, I can't think of a better bike for me.....no sh!t G.I.

It's very quick side to side, changes lines on command, handles tight switchbacks amassingly well for a long bike, and is just plan fun to ride. I thought that it would be way too much bike for the trails that are open this time of year around here. Well....... it is, but somehow, it's still fun as hell to ride.

I've heard that some guys are selling their Following, but to me, there is enough seperation that I will be keeping mine. I built my Wreckoning pretty solid, and don't fancy doing all day epic's on it.

I've also seen where some have said that it dosen't come alive until you get it to "speed". That has not been my experience. FWIW, I feel the bike is comfortable/playful/agile, at just about any speed. This suprised me......in a good way YMMV.

The only issues I'm working on are airtime, and lifting the front end. The first is operator error, and most of the jumps around here have short, steep lips. Short tranny/lip - long bike...I dunno.....I'll get back to you when I get more dialed. The second is because it's got a long-assed front end, and I suck at manuals.

All for now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quick ride update, I'll post more later. Currently at camp. 4 laps on 18rd in Fruita. Prime Cut up, down on Kessel, Joe's Ridge, Mojos, twice on PBR. Surprisingly playful and snappy out of corners. Short rear end is noticeable for sure. Really impressive pedaling platform. Predictable when jumping. I didn't get to test it on anything steep or tech yet, but it's impressed the hell out of me so far. No negatives. 6'2" on an XL, 35mm stem, perfect fit. Monarch Plus shock.

Long Travel Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by evenflo View Post

'SNIP'

It's very quick side to side, changes lines on command, handles tight switchbacks amassingly well for a long bike, and is just plan fun to ride. I thought that it would be way too much bike for the trails that are open this time of year around here. Well....... it is, but somehow, it's still fun as hell to ride.

I've heard that some guys are selling their Following, but to me, there is enough seperation that I will be keeping mine. I built my Wreckoning pretty solid, and don't fancy doing all day epic's on it.

I've also seen where some have said that it dosen't come alive until you get it to "speed". That has not been my experience. FWIW, I feel the bike is comfortable/playful/agile, at just about any speed. This suprised me......in a good way YMMV.

The only issues I'm working on are airtime, and lifting the front end. The first is operator error, and most of the jumps around here have short, steep lips. Short tranny/lip - long bike...I dunno.....I'll get back to you when I get more dialed. The second is because it's got a long-assed front end, and I suck at manuals.

All for now.
    Great Update. Couldn't agree more. Still dialing in. With every ride bringing something new its hard to summarize and compare. I do find, as you said, it's not necessarily speed that brings it to life but active aggressive riding. A willingness to pump and push and direct the bike pays off at any speed. Just pedaling, the bike is so efficient that it's easy to forget how much bike is there… until needed, then it never fails to deliver.

Finding some more Wreck-worthy terrain to stretch it out a bit:
    Evil Bikes: The Wreckoning - User Review-wahab.jpg
    Wreckoning looking for the White Whale.

Also, out of enlightened self-interest, wondering what tuning you found to work to help settle the rear-end down?
    Evil Bikes: The Wreckoning - User Review-17.jpg
    The next variable.

Lazy Overachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCanary View Post
    Great Update. Couldn't agree more. Still dialing in. With every ride bringing something new its hard to summarize and compare. I do find, as you said, it's not necessarily speed that brings it to life but active aggressive riding. A willingness to pump and push and direct the bike pays off at any speed. Just pedaling, the bike is so efficient that it's easy to forget how much bike is there… until needed, then it never fails to deliver.

Finding some more Wreck-worthy terrain to stretch it out a bit:

Name:	WAHAB.jpg 
Views:	810 
Size:	333.2 KB 
ID:	1061450
    Wreckoning looking for the White Whale.

Also, out of enlightened self-interest, wondering what tuning you found to work to help settle the rear-end down?

Name:	17.jpg 
Views:	434 
Size:	343.9 KB 
ID:	1061451
    The next variable.
    As stupid as it sounds, the main culprit was too much air in the rear tire........like way too much air.

Before my first ride, my guage showed 24.5, so being in a hurry to beat the darkness, I didn't give it a squeeze test. Turns out I had 32psi when I checked the next day. Must have had some sealant blocking the valve core or something.

I also went back to the base tune that Push installed when I bought the shock for my Nomad. Much better now.

I'm still fiddling with the settings to find the best set-up, and have found one problem with this shock/bike match.........the rebound knob is a pain in the ass to get to.

I'll post a more complete opinion of the 11/6 on a Wreckoning when I get things dialed in. I may put an air shock on it, to provide a comparison.....we'll see.

Looks like your bike is in it's happy place, gnar for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

I should add that I was running a Minion SS for the first time. It is very sensitive to over inflation..............duh.

Pirate!!!

I'm running the Vivid on mine. I feel like the sweet spot is 0-2 clicks from open on the LSC, 2-3 clicks from open on both beginning and ending rebound. And 28% sag. The bike did feel a little pogo sticky so I added an extra click of ending stroke rebound with good results. Admittedly I am still fiddling with settings.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm hoping someone will be able to compare to the Enduro 29.

Long Travel Lover
    Evenflo, thanks for the update. Did you move the 11-6 straight over or have PUSH do a re-valve? When I talked to them it came up that the Nomad and Wreckoning where very close but slightly different base valving, probably within the dial range of adjustment - just guessing. This will be my first coil shock, part of the reason to have the Wreckoning, wanted an aggressive platform worthy of trying out different shock and fork combo's.
    The Coil will have to be pretty amazing to top the re-valved Vivid, probably will keep both as options for different missions.

CC - Still running the Vivid and had some great rides in the Moab Gnar after some mods/tuning. The first few local rides it felt great, plush/bottomless, but was using all the travel too often/easy. Had the local tuner do some volume spacers and re-valve and it was awesome both on fast chunder and drops in Moab. Currently running about 190 psi(#195 RTR) for 25% attack sag with 2-3 LCS from open, R-end 2-3 from open, and R-beginning 5-6 from Closed(hard to turn while mounted so haven't done clicks to open). Still bottomless but handled the bigger(for me, 3-4') drops no problem and much better through the mid-travel.

Hardest part is getting enough riding to see everything this bike is capable of, I'll just have to do what I can.
    Last edited by TheCanary; 04-03-2016 at 11:04 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Interested in hearing what you think of 11-6 when you get some time on it. It is the route I went for direct through evil.

Lazy Overachiever
    Evenflo, thanks for the update. Did you move the 11-6 straight over or have PUSH do a re-valve? When I talked to them it came up that the Nomad and Wreckoning where very close but slightly different base valving, probably within the dial range of adjustment - just guessing. This will be my first coil shock, part of the reason to have the Wreckoning, wanted an aggressive platform worthy of trying out different shock and fork combo's.
    The Coil will have to be pretty amazing to top the re-valved Vivid, probably will keep both as options for different missions.

CC - Still running the Vivid and had some great rides in the Moab Gnar after some mods/tuning. The first few local rides it felt great, plush/bottomless, but was using all the travel too often/easy. Had the local tuner do some volume spacers and re-valve and it was awesome both on fast chunder and drops in Moab. Currently running about 190 psi(#195 RTR) for 25% attack sag with 2-3 LCS from open, R-end 2-3 from open, and R-beginning 5-6 from Closed(hard to turn while mounted so haven't done clicks to open). Still bottomless but handled the bigger(for me, 3-4') drops no problem and much better through the mid-travel.

Hardest part is getting enough riding to see everything this bike is capable of, I'll just have to do what I can.
    When I called Push, they said to just swap it over to the Wreckoning. When I first bought the 11/6, I was on the cusp between running a 375# or 400# spring. We went with the 400, but after a month or so, I put the 375# on to get deeper in the sag on the Nomad.

The first run on my Wreckoning, I kept the 375#, but put the 400# on after, and I'm a little over 30% seated sag, with no preload.

My base tune is 12 lsc/14 hsc for DH and 4 lsc/6 hsc for climbing. All clicks from closed, and 8 clicks rebound.

If/until I put an airshock on the bike, I obviously can't say if the 11/6 is the best way to go for this bike. I can say that I'm pretty damn happy with how it rides now. Hands down, it was the best thing I could have done for the Nomad. I am pretty confident that no air shock is going to match the traction the 11/6 provides....both up and down.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    If you don't mind me asking what is your riding weight?

Lazy Overachiever
    Sure. I'm 177 with armour, then add for water,food,tools and such.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks

Long Travel Lover
    Interesting. I told them #195, +/-#5(#180 BN) and got the #425 spring. Was told that spring range covered #180-195 RTR.
    Base tune: 1 turn preload. Downhill valve: 12LSC, 14HSC. Trail/climb valve: 6 LSC, 12HSC. Rebound 9.
    Even with the 165 cranks, getting more pedal strikes with this bike. I think with the long wheelbase getting more straddle-over/high-center but its sensitive to sag with the Vivid. Running more like 25% sag feels better. Hoping the linear coil set-up may enable a little more range to play with on the sag with less trade-offs.
    Bottom line is I get to ride more to find out. Loving this bike and having a blast tweaking the set-up and seeing what it can do.

Lazy Overachiever
    Interesting. I told them #195, +/-#5(#180 BN) and got the #425 spring. Was told that spring range covered #180-195 RTR.
    Base tune: 1 turn preload. Downhill valve: 12LSC, 14HSC. Trail/climb valve: 6 LSC, 12HSC. Rebound 9.
    Even with the 165 cranks, getting more pedal strikes with this bike. I think with the long wheelbase getting more straddle-over/high-center but its sensitive to sag with the Vivid. Running more like 25% sag feels better. Hoping the linear coil set-up may enable a little more range to play with on the sag with less trade-offs.
    Bottom line is I get to ride more to find out. Loving this bike and having a blast tweaking the set-up and seeing what it can do.
    Are you running low or X-low?

I think you may be on to something with using less sag. The following really needs a lot of air to feel right(high in the sag), so it stands to reason that the Wreckoning will as well. I was thinking of adding a turn of preload, or a little more. I really don't want to add more than a turn and a half, as you just start subtracting from the coil's benefits.

When do you plan on putting the 11/6 on, or did I miss something..........wouldn't be the first time.

Long Travel Lover
    Haven't tried X-low yet, maybe this summer if I get to a bike park, probably too rocky around here.
    11/6 arrived this weekend, hope to check it out this week. Excited to try the coil based on all I've heard, but, honestly, the bike is so good as is.

Lazy Overachiever
    Haven't tried X-low yet, maybe this summer if I get to a bike park, probably too rocky around here.
    11/6 arrived this weekend, hope to check it out this week. Excited to try the coil based on all I've heard, but, honestly, the bike is so good as is.
    Cool Beans.

I'm really interested to hear your comparaion. It's been said that the Evil's are really optimized for air springs, but the 11/6 is so smooth and adjustable, I can't see myself going back to air. I remember my first ride with it on the Nomad, and it would not be hyperbole to say that it completely changed the bike for the better.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i am getting less and less pedal strike on the insurgent as time goes on, i was in the same boat. i am not running x low exclusively though and leaving the 11 6 wide open. i just low x low and the pedaling doesn't really bother me. i rode 23 miles in x low with the shock wide open, lots of climbing, it wasn't easy but since the trailing undulates so much closing and opening was not an option. x low is more extreme!!!! go for it.....

mtbr member
    RE: Low vs. X-low, FWIW conversations I've had with Kevin at Evil have gone like this:

Following: you gotta put it in the lower setting, it rips!

Wreckoning: Yeah, I'd stick to the higher setting. That X-low setting is really low. Maybe for the park....

Long Travel Lover
    Good feedback. Definitely want and enjoy all the travel, adjusting to the tradeoffs. Glad I went with the 165 cranks.
    Certainly getting what I want and then some from this bike.

Lazy Overachiever
    Update: So I put a turn and a quarter of pre-load on my 11/6, and it was a definite improvement. I think I'll go to 1 1/2 and see if provides more support, without impacting the suppleness. I'm sure that you can tune it back in. but at some point, the law of diminishing returns kicks in.......or not. It would be nice to have a shock guru buddy to help, but suppose I can call Push if I get too wraped around the axle.

Also, someone on this board was asking for a comparison to my Nomad 3.

Both are XL's running the 11/6

The Wreck is 8mm longer, but feels and handles like a smaller bike.

Both are great at speed, but the Wreck is more playful at less than warp.

The N3 will eat chunk, and until I really get the chance, I can only assume the Wreck will eat chunker chunk.

In order to really get the most out of the N3, I really had to muscle the bike to do what I wanted. In tight, twisty stuff, I needed to put my nose, seemingly, over the axle......made for some interesting moments. The Wreck is so balanced for my body size/shape, that I don't have to purposely weight the front-end.

Both climb well for what they are.

Both are great bikes, but for me, the Evil wins hands down.

Now it's movie time.

These are the trails I'm stuck with for the time being, and before you rip into me, I thought I knew the guy I passed on the Moto trail(great rider) and would have slowed down more otherwise. Sorry for the wind noise; Sony Action cams have a stupid location for the mic.

mtbr member
    Update: So I put a turn and a quarter of pre-load on my 11/6, and it was a definite improvement. I think I'll go to 1 1/2 and see if provides more support, without impacting the suppleness. I'm sure that you can tune it back in. but at some point, the law of diminishing returns kicks in.......or not. It would be nice to have a shock guru buddy to help, but suppose I can call Push if I get too wraped around the axle.

Also, someone on this board was asking for a comparison to my Nomad 3.

Both are XL's running the 11/6

The Wreck is 8mm longer, but feels and handles like a smaller bike.

Both are great at speed, but the Wreck is more playful at less than warp.

The N3 will eat chunk, and until I really get the chance, I can only assume the Wreck will eat chunker chunk.

In order to really get the most out of the N3, I really had to muscle the bike to do what I wanted. In tight, twisty stuff, I needed to put my nose, seemingly, over the axle......made for some interesting moments. The Wreck is so balanced for my body size/shape, that I don't have to purposely weight the front-end.

Both climb well for what they are.

Both are great bikes, but for me, the Evil wins hands down.

Now it's movie time.

These are the trails I'm stuck with for the time being, and before you rip into me, I thought I knew the guy I passed on the Moto trail(great rider) and would have slowed down more otherwise. Sorry for the wind noise; Sony Action cams have a stupid location for the mic.

The video is set to private.

Lazy Overachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronJobe View Post
    The video is set to private.
    opps

fixed

thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    opps

fixed

thanks
    you ride w/ a computer? what's your top speed, average on that run?
    breezy shade

Lazy Overachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by nhodge View Post
    you ride w/ a computer? what's your top speed, average on that run?
    Yup, I got some sweet clip-on aero bars to.

FWIW 27.3 and 20.9 on the Moto track(top section to the creek).....not sure about the rest.

mtbr member
    I've put a decent number of miles on the Wreckoning at this point, and thought I'd chime in with ride thoughts. For perspective I've been on a Following exclusively for ~5 months, and before that had owned a who's-who of trail bikes: Tallboy LTc, Bronson, Mach6, Ripley, Nomad, HD3.

Short version: it's a Super Following. The bike really feels like a Following in many respects, but with a bit less playful pop, and a LOT more margin of error when things get burly.

First off, the feel/build experience. I'm 6'2"/185lbs, on an XL Wreckoning and loving the fit with a 40mm stem. This thing is burly; the frame came in at 8lbs with a Monarch, rear axle and headset. Once built, it just feels much more solid and planted than the Following; the frame feels noticeably stiffer. From the first pedal stroke you can tell this thing wants to be pushed. I think not running stiff carbon rims does a disservice to this bike, especially if you're a bigger guy. Full build with XT, Lyrik and Nox Farlow/I9 wheels and serious tires came in at a shade over 31lbs. Everything went together well, and the bike is smooth and silent on the trail.

The bike climbs quite well (for what it is.) I need to do some measuring, but I feel that at the same saddle height the effective STA is steeper than the Following. Traction is great for tech climbing and out-of-the-saddle efforts. After many months on the Following, I found myself over-shooting a few tight uphill switchbacks due to the longer front end, but this is mainly a matter of getting used to the bike.
    I was happy to engage the climb switch on the Monarch for long fire-road grinds, but the bike goes up damn well for a 31+ lb 29er, with no more pedal feedback than I've found on any 160mm bike. The only minor complaint is that you can't really run a ring smaller than 32T without some clearance issues to the chainstay. There are some climbs around here where a lower gear would be nice; SRAM Eagle or a 50T conversion might be worth considering.

The down is obviously where this baby shines, and this thing is frankly a bit terrifying downhill (in a good way.) I found myself hitting speed I have not previously touched, doubling features I normally roll, and blasting into rock gardens I normally pick my way through. It pops and jumps really really well, much better than the Nomad (which I always found to be a total plow/sled at the expense of any playfulness). Not quite as playful as a Following, but definitely not a dull plow of a bike either.
    Coming from the Following, riding the Wreck feels very intuitive, just punched up in a few areas: you need a bit more bike angle/input to get into flatter corners, and as things get steep and gnarly the bike remains totally composed, instead of getting squirrely like a Following can. To be honest, the similarity to the Following has been almost challenging: It feels like a Following so I ride it like a Following, rather than pushing it as hard as it can be pushed. When I land a longer drop or huck to flat, I expect the harsher feel of a 120mm bike, and instead get a soft landing and a feeling like the bike is saying "seriously, is that all?" And the damn thing snaps into corners like a slot car with that short rear end.

Bottom line: this bike rips, and I'm not even approaching its limits. But what's surprised me is that this is a trail bike, as well as a very very good near-DH bike. I had expected the Wreck to be burly as hell and most at home in a bike park or shuttling. While it will definitely be GREAT in those settings, I would also not be afraid to saddle this thing up for a multi-hour alpine epic. I'd still prefer a Following for that application, but the Wreck will most certainly get up climbs and not feel like a total fish out of water on less-than-pucker-worthy descents. Evil has carried over the extreme versatility of the Following, but pushed it further toward the aggressive end of the spectrum. In the same way the Following spans applications from aggro-XC through mild Enduro, the Wreck goes from aggro-Trail to double-diamonds in the bike park. All in all, it's a badass machine.

Evil Bikes: The Wreckoning - User Review-img_3417.jpg

mtbr member
    Like*

Lazy Overachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewBird View Post
    All in all, it's a badass machine.

Name:	IMG_3417.jpg 
Views:	625 
Size:	364.4 KB 
ID:	1062632
    Great report. You put into words, how I also feel about the bike......only a lot better than I could.

mtbr member
    I've put a decent number of miles on the Wreckoning at this point, and thought I'd chime in with ride thoughts. For perspective I've been on a Following exclusively for ~5 months, and before that had owned a who's-who of trail bikes: Tallboy LTc, Bronson, Mach6, Ripley, Nomad, HD3.

Short version: it's a Super Following. The bike really feels like a Following in many respects, but with a bit less playful pop, and a LOT more margin of error when things get burly.

First off, the feel/build experience. I'm 6'2"/185lbs, on an XL Wreckoning and loving the fit with a 40mm stem. This thing is burly; the frame came in at 8lbs with a Monarch, rear axle and headset. Once built, it just feels much more solid and planted than the Following; the frame feels noticeably stiffer. From the first pedal stroke you can tell this thing wants to be pushed. I think not running stiff carbon rims does a disservice to this bike, especially if you're a bigger guy. Full build with XT, Lyrik and Nox Farlow/I9 wheels and serious tires came in at a shade over 31lbs. Everything went together well, and the bike is smooth and silent on the trail.

The bike climbs quite well (for what it is.) I need to do some measuring, but I feel that at the same saddle height the effective STA is steeper than the Following. Traction is great for tech climbing and out-of-the-saddle efforts. After many months on the Following, I found myself over-shooting a few tight uphill switchbacks due to the longer front end, but this is mainly a matter of getting used to the bike.
    I was happy to engage the climb switch on the Monarch for long fire-road grinds, but the bike goes up damn well for a 31+ lb 29er, with no more pedal feedback than I've found on any 160mm bike. The only minor complaint is that you can't really run a ring smaller than 32T without some clearance issues to the chainstay. There are some climbs around here where a lower gear would be nice; SRAM Eagle or a 50T conversion might be worth considering.

The down is obviously where this baby shines, and this thing is frankly a bit terrifying downhill (in a good way.) I found myself hitting speed I have not previously touched, doubling features I normally roll, and blasting into rock gardens I normally pick my way through. It pops and jumps really really well, much better than the Nomad (which I always found to be a total plow/sled at the expense of any playfulness). Not quite as playful as a Following, but definitely not a dull plow of a bike either.
    Coming from the Following, riding the Wreck feels very intuitive, just punched up in a few areas: you need a bit more bike angle/input to get into flatter corners, and as things get steep and gnarly the bike remains totally composed, instead of getting squirrely like a Following can. To be honest, the similarity to the Following has been almost challenging: It feels like a Following so I ride it like a Following, rather than pushing it as hard as it can be pushed. When I land a longer drop or huck to flat, I expect the harsher feel of a 120mm bike, and instead get a soft landing and a feeling like the bike is saying "seriously, is that all?" And the damn thing snaps into corners like a slot car with that short rear end.

Bottom line: this bike rips, and I'm not even approaching its limits. But what's surprised me is that this is a trail bike, as well as a very very good near-DH bike. I had expected the Wreck to be burly as hell and most at home in a bike park or shuttling. While it will definitely be GREAT in those settings, I would also not be afraid to saddle this thing up for a multi-hour alpine epic. I'd still prefer a Following for that application, but the Wreck will most certainly get up climbs and not feel like a total fish out of water on less-than-pucker-worthy descents. Evil has carried over the extreme versatility of the Following, but pushed it further toward the aggressive end of the spectrum. In the same way the Following spans applications from aggro-XC through mild Enduro, the Wreck goes from aggro-Trail to double-diamonds in the bike park. All in all, it's a badass machine.

Name:	IMG_3417.jpg 
Views:	625 
Size:	364.4 KB 
ID:	1062632
    Good review and kinda what I expected, like a roid'd up Following. Nice shot with Rainier.
    Did you keep you Following?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by manitou2200 View Post
    Good review and kinda what I expected, like a roid'd up Following. Nice shot with Rainier.
    Did you keep you Following?
    Yes, I still have the Following and plan to keep it, at least for now. I could see maybe considering something a bit lighter and sprightlier on the climbs, like a Ripley LT, just to further differentiate it from the Wreckoning...

mtbr member
    Yes, I still have the Following and plan to keep it, at least for now. I could see maybe considering something a bit lighter and sprightlier on the climbs, like a Ripley LT, just to further differentiate it from the Wreckoning...
    As a compliment maybe a CB EPO or Fuel EX. Intense is going to launch the new Spider 29C sometime before the end of the year is my guess. Or if 27.5 is an option a Divinci Django or the new Spider 27.5.
    Or build the Following a little lighter and with a 120mm fork. I've been riding mine with a 120 and it's still very fun quicker handling and even better climbing.

mtbr member
    As a compliment maybe a CB EPO or Fuel EX. Intense is going to launch the new Spider 29C sometime before the end of the year is my guess. Or if 27.5 is an option a Divinci Django or the new Spider 27.5.
    Or build the Following a little lighter and with a 120mm fork. I've been riding mine with a 120 and it's still very fun quicker handling and even better climbing.
    ...or I've heard rumors of a fully updated Following sometime next year. If they lighten it up and refine the suspension (maybe designed around a longer-stroke shock?) that could be a winner!

mtbr member
    ...or I've heard rumors of a fully updated Following sometime next year. If they lighten it up and refine the suspension (maybe designed around a longer-stroke shock?) that could be a winner!
    I could see a 2" stroke and lighter weight would be nice, steeper seat tube. These would be good upgrades. They could probably keep the rear triangle as is from a mold/ tooling cost standpoint.

mtbr member
    Threaded bottom bracket would be nice too

mtbr member
    I could see a 2" stroke and lighter weight would be nice, steeper seat tube. These would be good upgrades. They could probably keep the rear triangle as is from a mold/ tooling cost standpoint.
    I'd expect them to go Boost. I'd hope they'll also do away with the front der. mount so they can widen then main pivot, a la the Wreckoning. For the shock, I wonder if they'll go to one of the new metric sizes. All wild speculation you understand!

mtbr member
    Threaded bottom bracket, ability to run an external reservoir shock and a steeper seat tube angle. I'll buy another one if that happens 😁

Lazy Overachiever

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast