Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Results 601 to 611 of 611
  1. #601
    SISSIF
    Reputation: TheCanary's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    385
    Quote Originally Posted by tdc_worm View Post
    I won't give the angle set all of the credit...running a stiffer shock spring resulted in rear riding higher in the stroke, keeping more weight on the front wheel. slackening the head angle dropped the stack and moved the saddle forward, again helping to place a little weight on the front wheel. if offset is measured on the y axis of the fork, then slackening the head angle should reduce offset, thereby increasing trail. with the axle on a 29er being so high (compared to a 26 or 2.75), it seems like a mm change here and or there would be amplified.

    at the end of the day, the changes may or may not matter, and i could just be getting used to the bike. that said, i don't intend to revert back to the softer spring and the normal headset, as I haven't inherited any negative traits.

    YMMV
    Have the 1.5* Works angleset installed to slacken the front. Hard to change up just one variable at a time but I'm pretty keyed into the Wrecker and this has been a great change. I've gone back and forth between Low and X-Low quite a bit for different missions and this seems to give the best of both worlds. Goes up and pedals better than the Low setting and handles and descends better than the X-Low setting.
    Really like the steeper seat tube, noticeable change, had to bring the front of the saddle up to compensate. Also shortened the reach so went up 10mm on the stem. The DELTA has really good pedaling kinematics, limited by seat position, now it really feels like a trail bike, grab a gear and leap out of the saddle. Took it up some loose, tight switchbacks that I've struggled on in X-Low with no problem. Steeper seat tube seemed to more than offset the slacker fork and the front was less floppy climbing - longer stem probably helped too, hard to change just one variable.
    Definitely settled the front end descending too. Less hunting while carving, able to hold a line better and actually holding tighter lines. The Wrecker is soo good, to be able to throw it into turns with even more abandon is amazing.
    Been riding a lot so the changes, while subtle, are certainly noticeable and add up to a better ride.
    Now the bad news, the Ohlins coil has less lower stack with the integrated crown and race and is not compatible with the Works angleset, had to go back to the Pike for the set-up - another variable. The offset on the Works is in the lower cup and the crown race has significantly more stack than a CC race. Thinking I may be able to switch to the CC angleset that has more of the offset at the top cup, only 1* but I get my Coil back.
    So, ongoing refinements.
    But... Mainly riding!
    Big Wheels and Fat Skis keep me young.

  2. #602
    mtbr member
    Reputation: titusquasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,215
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCanary View Post
    Have the 1.5* Works angleset installed to slacken the front. Hard to change up just one variable at a time but I'm pretty keyed into the Wrecker and this has been a great change. I've gone back and forth between Low and X-Low quite a bit for different missions and this seems to give the best of both worlds. Goes up and pedals better than the Low setting and handles and descends better than the X-Low setting.
    Really like the steeper seat tube, noticeable change, had to bring the front of the saddle up to compensate. Also shortened the reach so went up 10mm on the stem. The DELTA has really good pedaling kinematics, limited by seat position, now it really feels like a trail bike, grab a gear and leap out of the saddle. Took it up some loose, tight switchbacks that I've struggled on in X-Low with no problem. Steeper seat tube seemed to more than offset the slacker fork and the front was less floppy climbing - longer stem probably helped too, hard to change just one variable.
    Definitely settled the front end descending too. Less hunting while carving, able to hold a line better and actually holding tighter lines. The Wrecker is soo good, to be able to throw it into turns with even more abandon is amazing.
    Been riding a lot so the changes, while subtle, are certainly noticeable and add up to a better ride.
    Now the bad news, the Ohlins coil has less lower stack with the integrated crown and race and is not compatible with the Works angleset, had to go back to the Pike for the set-up - another variable. The offset on the Works is in the lower cup and the crown race has significantly more stack than a CC race. Thinking I may be able to switch to the CC angleset that has more of the offset at the top cup, only 1* but I get my Coil back.
    So, ongoing refinements.
    But... Mainly riding!
    I really like the sound of this and may end up trying a -1 myself.

    -1.5 puts you under 65 deg correct? Wow.

  3. #603
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    227
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCanary View Post
    Have the 1.5* Works angleset installed to slacken the front.....
    Pretty much sums up my position with the 1* angel set.

    So is the crown dragging on the lower bearing cup? Either way, total bummer as I was aiming for an rxf 36 over the push acs3 system.

    What Stem length were you swapping between? I have a new 50mm stem that I have been holding off on installing in place of my current 35mm....

  4. #604
    SISSIF
    Reputation: TheCanary's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    385
    Quote Originally Posted by tdc_worm View Post
    Pretty much sums up my position with the 1* angel set.

    So is the crown dragging on the lower bearing cup? Either way, total bummer as I was aiming for an rxf 36 over the push acs3 system.

    What Stem length were you swapping between? I have a new 50mm stem that I have been holding off on installing in place of my current 35mm....
    Yep. The integrated steerer/race puts the crown up against the lower cup. The Works crown race is taller(more stack) than most, probably to deal with clearance issues. The Pike works(Ha!) fine with the included race.
    I'll be trying the 1* CC angleset that has the offset in the top cup with the stock FSA lower. I like the Works design better and it still may not work but LBS has the upper CC set laying around so worth a try.

    Went from 50mm stem to 60mm on a medium. Before seated to pedal I'd be stretched on a medium, standing reach I would be better on a large. Now, with the steeper seat tube, the large would work best.
    Once I get the Ohlins sorted out we'll see.
    Big Wheels and Fat Skis keep me young.

  5. #605
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    227
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCanary View Post
    I like the Works design better and it still may not work but LBS has the upper CC set laying around so worth a try.
    Bummer. How severe is the contact? Could you remove a tiny bit of aluminum on the bottom/front of the cup giving enough clearance to free up the crown?

  6. #606
    SISSIF
    Reputation: TheCanary's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    385
    May be worth a try. Gonna check out the CC option first.

  7. #607
    mtbr member
    Reputation: titusquasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,215
    Can you guys with the Works Components headsets confirm the model needed for the Wreckoning, please?

    Thanks!

  8. #608
    mtbr member
    Reputation: titusquasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,215
    Nevermind. I found a thread I started last winter with the info: 44/62.

    1 deg ordered!

  9. #609
    SISSIF
    Reputation: TheCanary's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    385
    Yep. Ordered according to head tube length. Actually ordered mine from Fanatik as they were out of stock at Works.

  10. #610
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    4
    This might be a stupid question for TheCanary or tdc_worm, but how does slackening the head angle with the works headset make the seat angle steeper? Is this just from the drop in the front end that occurs?

  11. #611
    SISSIF
    Reputation: TheCanary's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    385
    Essentially. The differences are small but noticeable. Flipping the chips works by dropping the BB and the front triangle rotates back slightly giving the other changes: longer wheel base, slacker front end and seat tube.
    By slacking the head tube with an angle set the front triangle rotates forward giving similar changes, in slightly different proportion, except... the seat tube gets slightly steeper.
    For me, starting with the seat all the way forward, flipping the chips was more of a compromise. For others the fit may work fine either way.
    Big Wheels and Fat Skis keep me young.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Similar Threads

  1. Evil Bikes: The Following Ė User Review
    By ducrider in forum Evil Bikes
    Replies: 3060
    Last Post: 1 Week Ago, 01:13 PM
  2. Evil Wreckoning Build Pictures
    By tangrip9 in forum Evil Bikes
    Replies: 588
    Last Post: 1 Week Ago, 11:37 AM
  3. User Review: Nitefighter BT40S ( CAt Review )
    By Cat-man-do in forum Lights and Night Riding
    Replies: 1121
    Last Post: 1 Week Ago, 12:05 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-30-2014, 12:11 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-02-2014, 01:35 PM

Members who have read this thread: 618

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •