mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Evil Bikes: The Wreckoning - User Review-img_6625.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Evil Bikes: The Wreckoning - User Review-dsc_2815.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Last one. Sorry for all the posts. I went back and consolidated 4 of the pics here. Had issues adding pics.

DVO Diamond Boost 160mm
    Cane Creek DB CS
    Enve M70
    I9 Boost Hubs
    DT Swiss spokes custom powder coated blue
    Renthal DUO custom powder coated orange
    SixC cranks
    KMC DLC orange chain
    XX1 1x11 drive train
    Guide RSC brakes
    RS Reverb 170mm dropper
    ENVE DH bars
    Chromag grips and saddle
    Minnions DHF 2.5 all around
    Graphics by NL Designs.

Bike also has a bottle cage mount, still need to put my cage on. Had the bike done since Thursday. Its monday and I still haven't ridden it because its been real wet in Los Angeles. Story of my life.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6625.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	111.4 KB 
ID:	1122691

Name:	DSC_2815.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	1122692

Name:	DSC_2819.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	1122690

Evil Bikes: The Wreckoning - User Review-dsc_2811.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Doe Boy View Post

Name:	DSC_2819.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	1122690
    Would love to see you monster trunk Negan with these wheel. Really sick build! I love it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleMtnSlayer View Post
    Would love to see you monster trunk Negan with these wheel. Really sick build! I love it.
    Haha. Thx. You can actually see Negan on the fork, but he's inwards facing. Dude is charismatic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    What size is that frame?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by acmack View Post
    What size is that frame?
    It's an XL

mtbr member
    Jun 2015

Evil Bikes: The Wreckoning - User Review

Yari UPDATE: Last night I installed the air spring p/n 11.4018.026.020. My goal is to get 170mm travel. To my surprise the air shaft is 20mm longer than the 160mm shaft it's replacing. When installed and aired up the exposed stanchion measures 182 mm. With all the air released and the fork compressed the exposed stanchion is 3mm.

So I called SRAM to see if i have the 180mm or 170mm airshaft and if there is anything counterintuitive about the exposed stanchion lengths. The part I installed is indeed the 180mm version and the exposed stanchion measurement when aired up should be +/- 2mm from the actual travel length. I took the rep up on his offer to swap it for the 170mm as they provided the wrong part number originally. I also asked for clarification on travel length and wheel size. He advised with the pike the same air shaft will have different travel lengths depending on wheel size, with the lyrik and yari the travel will remain the same across wheel sizes.

Lyrik/Yari 180mm travel solo air spring p/n: 11.4018.026.020

Lyrik/Yari 170mm travel solo air spring p/n: 11.4018.026.002

I previously posted the 180 air shaft part number will result in 170mm travel. I had the wrong info, I apologize if anyone ordered that part.

I'm going to do a ride at 180 before I go down to 170. I'll post up my experience with that soon.

Last edited by PurpleMtnSlayer; 02-22-2017 at 12:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Yari UPDATE: Last night I installed the air spring p/n 11.4018.026.020. My goal is to get 170mm travel. To my surprise the air shaft is 20mm longer than the 160mm shaft it's replacing. When installed and aired up the exposed stanchion measures 182 mm. With all the air released and the fork compressed the exposed stanchion is 3mm.

So I called SRAM to see if i have the 180mm or 170mm airshaft and if there is anything counterintuitive about the exposed stanchion lengths. The part I installed is indeed the 180mm version and the exposed stanchion measurement when aired up should be +/- 2mm from the actual travel length. I took the rep up on his offer to swap it for the 170mm as they provided the wrong part number originally. I also asked for clarification on travel length and wheel size. He advised with the pike the same air shaft will have different travel lengths depending on wheel size, with the lyrik and yari the travel will remain the same across wheel sizes.

Lyrik/Yari 180mm travel solo air spring p/n: 11.4018.026.020

Lyrik/Yari 170mm travel solo air spring p/n: 11.4018.026.002

I previously posted the 180 air shaft part number will result in 170mm travel. I had the wrong info, I apologize if anyone ordered that part.

I'm going to do a ride at 180 before I go down to 170. I'll post up my experience with that soon.

Braaaapp!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Awesome. Thank you. Let us know how it rides!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Would love to know how your tire clearance is with the 2.5 DHF on the rear. Any rubbing, can you provide a pic?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Just ordered a Fox X2 to replace a Monarch Plus that I jacked up. Hope the X2 is an improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by chowdapilot View Post
    Would love to know how your tire clearance is with the 2.5 DHF on the rear. Any rubbing, can you provide a pic?
    Its lame I've had the bike for a week and haven't ridden it. Will finally get it on the dirt tomorrow and let you know.

LBS said one dude came in with a Minion 3.0 in the front. I'm sure that's got grip great, but might look odd.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    No rubbing. Worked great so far. Notice the water bottle cage.

Evil Bikes: The Wreckoning - User Review-dsc_2900.jpg

Evil Bikes: The Wreckoning - User Review-dsc_2861.jpg

Evil Bikes: The Wreckoning - User Review-dsc_2862.jpg

Evil Bikes: The Wreckoning - User Review-dsc_2857.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Baby got stack! Sup with that?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Baby got stack! Sup with that?
    I get so much grief for that. I'm 6' 5" and my back gets sore on the climb with a low stack. I'll play with the height and see how comfy it is to bring it down a bit the more I ride it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Hi,

Placing the order next week, so excited.

Please help on picking the right size. I'm 5:11-6ft with shoes. I always ride large bikes and thinking going large again.

Right decision? In the middle of the recomended sizes.

Neil

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by neilingle View Post
    Hi,

Please help on picking the right size. I'm 5:11-6ft with shoes. I always ride large bikes and thinking going large again.

Neil
    You can go either way, I'm a little taller than you and went medium with 50mm stem.

I had a large insurgent and they both felt good.

If you go medium it's a little less bike to flick around.

mtbr member
    Lol. I love how varied sizing preferences can be.

Evil's size chart seems to be pushing riders toward a smaller frame size than you typically see. A 6' line between the medium and large sizes is pretty tall.

Evil doesn't recommend an XL until you are 6'4". I'm 6'3" and went XL and would not go smaller for any reason. I finally have a bike that's long enough to use a 50mm stem!

At your height I'd recommend a large but that doesn't count for much, I guess. This way you can run a shorter stem if necessary vs. the other way around on a medium.

What bikes and sizes have you had in the past that you liked?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Hi,

Neil
    I'd go large.

mtbr member
    May 2005

Personally I think the Wreckoning is best when mated with a 50mm stem. I've gone with longer frames in the past and find using a 35mm stem takes too much weight off the front wheel making the bike push in corners. For that reason I'd suggest not oversizing. Not saying you'll need a medium, just saying keep this in mind. As for me, I'm 6'1.5" and based on Evil's recommendations fall squarely on a Large. This is what I ended up buying and could not be happier. Just my .02.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I'm about 5'11" and am really happy with my medium. I've been shocked with how playful the wreckoning is, while still being supremely capable and I like the fit with a 50mm stem. So I'm glad I didn't size up. That being said I haven't ridden a large and like a bigger bike so I'm sure it'd be good too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Hey mopes, I've got a few ride in with the yari at 180mm and the flip cups in low. Total rise is 20 mm between bars(800mm), stem (50mm) and spacers. It definitely adds a lot more steering wander and requires you to scoot forward and stand up sooner claiming. I didn't get any significant front wheel lift and had fewer pedal strikes.

Going down it's more beastly by a little bit. I really noticed it when jumping and maxing out the suspension. At 160 I felt my weight was more rear biased than optimal in some corners. That didn't feel any worse at 180.

Overall I say 180mm makes the wreck's trailbike capabilities suspect. But it also nudges it toward big bike territory.

I'm going 170 for now.

mtbr member

Robertson
    Frame is in! Size medium ordered from Evil direct. And yes, it has water bottle mounts!

Evil Bikes: The Wreckoning - User Review-wreckframe.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Hey mopes, I've got a few ride in with the yari at 180mm and the flip cups in low. Total rise is 20 mm between bars(800mm), stem (50mm) and spacers. It definitely adds a lot more steering wander and requires you to scoot forward and stand up sooner claiming. I didn't get any significant front wheel lift and had fewer pedal strikes.

Going down it's more beastly by a little bit. I really noticed it when jumping and maxing out the suspension. At 160 I felt my weight was more rear biased than optimal in some corners. That didn't feel any worse at 180.

Overall I say 180mm makes the wreck's trailbike capabilities suspect. But it also nudges it toward big bike territory.

I'm going 170 for now.
    Sweet. I think you're right 180 seems excessive unless you're riding lifts or shuttles all day. 170 might be reasonable for all around use though. Look forward to hearing your report.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Hi,

Neil
    I'm six foot and went with a large wrecker after coming off a large following. Pedaled a medium around the parking lot and it felt damn near tiny compared to what I was expecting. First run on the large felt perfect. I'm running a 40mm stem.

Long Travel Lover
    I'd say large for the wide open Rocky Mountain West. If the trails are tighter in the UK, medium might work better. Haven't had a problem running into an upper limit on speed even on the Med, 71", 34" inseam. If you're more torso, might fit the large better.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I've got to vent a little. I have owned a few evils and love them but the fact that they blatantly lie to me when I call them about the cage mounts is ridiculous. I was going to pull the trigger on a complete Wreckoning eage build but they couldn't tell me if I'd get one with mounts or not. I know it's little for most people but having to wear a pack just because someone doesn't want to open a box is ridiculous. Carry on. Woosaa

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by atekt View Post
    I've got to vent a little. I have owned a few evils and love them but the fact that they blatantly lie to me when I call them about the cage mounts is ridiculous. I was going to pull the trigger on a complete Wreckoning eage build but they couldn't tell me if I'd get one with mounts or not. I know it's little for most people but having to wear a pack just because someone doesn't want to open a box is ridiculous. Carry on. Woosaa
    cage was a deal breaker for me too but I bought a used frame and didn't have a choice. Check out two fish adapter on amazon, not ideal but gets the job done on my large with a decent sized bottle...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Sounds like they need to increase price on the cage ones we see and discount the cageless to equal it out... winner winner

Robertson
    Selling the stock monarch off my Wreckoning, new take off for $200, figured I'd post it in here before posting on Pinkbike, etc. in case anyone with a 11.6 wants a spare or lighter shock...

mtbr member
    May 2005

How did they lie to you? They may have been on the lazy side by not checking but this is not an out right lie. Also based on the call the person on the phone may not be able to find the exact model that would ship to you. Shipping and logistics be complicated, especially when dealing internationally. Not saying it is right but let's not paint them out to be liars even though they may have had issues in the past.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    How did they lie to you? They may have been on the lazy side by not checking but this is not an out right lie. Also based on the call the person on the phone may not be able to find the exact model that would ship to you. Shipping and logistics be complicated, especially when dealing internationally. Not saying it is right but let's not paint them out to be liars even though they may have had issues in the past.

I am not trying to paint a bad picture of the guys at Evil, Like I said I have owned and currently own some of their bikes.
    The aggravating part is that I have talked to a few different people there and have got a few different stories, none of them align. Its frustrating.
    Trust me I know all about logistics and the complications that can arise, especially internationally. How hard is it to do a search of your current inventory? Some people could care less about the mounts, where others its a big deal.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I am not trying to paint a bad picture of the guys at Evil, Like I said I have owned and currently own some of their bikes.
    The aggravating part is that I have talked to a few different people there and have got a few different stories, none of them align. Its frustrating.
    Trust me I know all about logistics and the complications that can arise, especially internationally. How hard is it to do a search of your current inventory? Some people could care less about the mounts, where others its a big deal.
    If it new can you just return it? And get a new one? I have a wreck and no bottle mounts but wish i did. I run a dakine hip pack and its been great. I wold prefer a bottle though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Wreckoning in Florida

Any Florida riders? I live just outside Orlando and interested in the Wreckoning. I'd like to know your opinions if this is too much bike for Fl? I go riding in GA, NC, Tenn, Virginia. I'd appreciate feedback.

Thanks,
    tim

I fix choppers
    Quote Originally Posted by htim63 View Post
    Any Florida riders? I live just outside Orlando and interested in the Wreckoning. I'd like to know your opinions if this is too much bike for Fl? I go riding in GA, NC, Tenn, Virginia. I'd appreciate feedback.

Thanks,
    tim
    Blue Mountain Bikes has multiple Evil bikes you can demo. The shop is in Blue Ridge, but the bikes are kept in Roswell, Georgia.

That said, ride what turns you on and don't worry about what is "too much bike". I am getting a Wreckoning and I am well aware of the fact that it is way more bike than most people will ever ride let alone own. I may never reach the end of it, but that's exactly where I want to be and everyone else can go get effed. Party. :cornnut:

My saltiness aside, I have demoed a Wrecker (from BMB above) and was blown away by it's versatility. It climbs very well and the geometry is dialed. As for descending, I like finding that point where all hell breaks loose and I believe the Wreckoning will take me to that place very well...

"Everything popular is wrong." -Oscar Wilde

Calgon, take me away!
    I'm sorry, I try to be polite most of the time, but really, water bottle mounts? Evil created the biggest, baddest 29er in existence, and you are worried about water bottle mounts? Oy vey.
    Banshee Prime

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Can some one please comment on climbing in X-Low with a DP fork in the lower setting, or climbing in general in X-low. Most trail bikes have a BB just as low although have less travel.

I could not really find any information.

I guess i could just try it, my insurgent in X-low was awesome but climbing steeps was rough.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Giving the wrecker and new shock a proper shakedown. Incredible bike for Moab. Unstoppable.

I Ride Bikes
    Took my new Wreckoning out on the trail today. Im coming from a Pivot Mach 6, and before that a Camber 29er. I still have both bikes cause they are great in their own way on certain trails. However I believe the Wreckoning might be the all around bike. The Camber is a great XC trail bike, but sucks when trying to jump or drop off something. Its a weight weenie bike, carbon fiber everything. So when doing big jumps, the bike vibrates on the landing. The Pivot M6 was my venture into the 650b world. It was fun when dropping off or jumping cause of the longer travel. Felt sturdy with the bigger stanchions of the Pike. However it sucked in the rooty trails cause of the smaller wheels, I felt like I had to pedal more to keep my momentum. It felt like a plug trying to navigate rooty turns and mossy rocks. This Wreckoning is big wheels and big travel. Its plush and soaks up all the big hits. I still have yet to test it out on our really rooty trails. However I have faith that the 29er wheels will do its job in there as well.

Evil Bikes: The Wreckoning - User Review-17191957_1793312624326733_9008822815933069501_o.jpg
    I like to hug trees at FULL SPEED!
    INSTAGRAM -> hawaii808MTB
    FACEBOOK -> Big Island Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    What air pressure are people running on the Monarch plus rc3? I'm 90kg and need 240psi to get 30%

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    What air pressure are people running on the Monarch plus rc3? I'm 90kg and need 240psi to get 30%
    I weigh 190 pounds without gear. I run 235 psi with 6 clicks of rebound. I used the shockwiz to dail it in on the "playful " setting

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ludorhb View Post
    I weigh 190 pounds without gear. I run 235 psi with 6 clicks of rebound. I used the shockwiz to dail it in on the "playful " setting
    Thanks for the info.

When you say 6 clicks of rebound. Is that 6 clicks in from full slow or fast?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Thanks for the info.

When you say 6 clicks of rebound. Is that 6 clicks in from full slow or fast?

Thanks
    6 Clicks from open (fast)

Robertson
    Looks like the new EWS presenter rides a Wreckoning. Should be seeing a good bit of it over the months to come! https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=wOiRKuNZGZk

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Hi,

Neil
    Hey Neil, wondering... which way did you go??

I'm also 5'11", eyeing a Wreck, and in same conundrum. Another data point for the thread:

I'm coming off a M Following, which has just simply been too small - and have been also wanting a L Following. I talked to Jameson@Evil for a while about it, he said:

(1) Wreck & Following are about the same bike - one size different. That is, a Large Following = a Medium Wreckoning. I went through the #'s on this, and yeah, they're all pretty much the same w/in a few mm's.

(2) These bike sizings are all 'new' since the Following. (i.e. - the Insurg & Wreck are in the same sizing boat, but the 'old' Following is the only outlier.) The company will probably adopt these general sizing outlines for the foreseeable future.

(3) He strongly recommended that at 5'11" go for the Medium Wreck. Sizing was one point. But another was my riding style: I'm looking for that 'quiver of one', All-Mountain and my Following is certainly capable enough for 90% of my terrain. I just wanted more squish for when I wanted speed or my trips to Moab, etc.

He said go Large if I was going to be doing more serious gravity stuff, but if just using for Trail, that I'd appreciate the nimbleness of the Med.

There may be some advantages of being a 'tweener', after all??? (Usually, I just think it sucks!)

mtbr member
    I'm 5'10" all legs, always ride a large frame - after many thorough test rides aboard a Med wreck it's fit is spot on. Very roomy bike for a "medium" the ETT is longer than most L frames

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Building a Wreck tomorrow. It's gonna be siiiiiiiiiiick!
    Evil Bikes: The Wreckoning - User Review-img_5461.jpg

Evil Bikes: The Wreckoning - User Review-img_5546-1-.jpg

Evil Bikes: The Wreckoning - User Review-p3020049.jpg

I love spending other people's money.
    IPA will save America

wretch
    The Wreck (with an 11-6) is easily the best, most fun, and fastest bike in it's relative class that i've ever thrown a leg over.

Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Trash View Post
    The Wreck (with an 11-6) is easily the best, most fun, and fastest bike in it's relative class that i've ever thrown a leg over.

Enjoy!
    Tell us what you've owned recently.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by rondre3000 View Post
    Tell us what you've owned recently.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Well i have had the following bikes:

Wreckoning with elevensix
    Yeti 5.5c
    Evil Insurgent
    Intense Spider 275
    Specialized Stumpy

I can honestly say that I agree with Truckee. Beat all my 5.5c PRs and it is the most fun.

wretch
    owned
    Enduro 26
    Stumpjumper Evo 29
    Enduro 29
    Niner RIP RDO
    Niner JET RDO

ridden
    Nomad
    Ghost SL-AMR
    Firebird
    Mojo

To put the perceived ride characteristics into words is tricky. I don't time stuff on Strava and I don't race. It's a combination of the fit of the bike, a refined, almost dialed long travel 29 geometry (where it takes the cake over the Enduro) and the feel I have charging down familiar rowdy trails. Confidence, comfort, and fun. It weighs more than any other bike i've built or ridden but none of that matters once your riding it. The traction alone gained from the 11-6 for both climbing and descending is a game changer. I think another factor that adds to my overall stoke on the bike is that for the first time in my cycling life I have a fork and shock that are professionally tuned for me. Huge difference.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Rondre - Not taking anything away from the 5.5c. The 5.5c is an awesome bike, better climber than the wreck and faster in straight away speed. The Wreckoning to me is just more fun and corners a little better.

You really cannot go wrong if you were to purchase either. I think the yeti gets more acclaim because yeti is an established brand with a great following. Evil is a new up and coming brand. People read horror stories from early models and get scared away. I have had two Evils and both have been great no issues with durability.

The bike i really want to try is the Pivot switchblade, i demo'd one and it was awesome. I'm just not willing to drop 6500-7500 on a bike when they really should offer a frame only. Maybe in a year i will have a Wreck and a switchblade.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    The new firebird is the only bike I've ridden that may be more fun than the wreck to smash dh trails on. It climbs pretty good too. I'm trying to justify owning both, but can't quite get there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    The new firebird is the only bike I've ridden that may be more fun than the wreck to smash dh trails on. It climbs pretty good too. I'm trying to justify owning both, but can't quite get there.
    Purple can you talk about how the Firebird climbs. I actually have the option to trade right now. I Ride a Med Wreck and was wondering if the Medium FB would be a good fit? I generally use Reach as my main barometer. The reach on the FB is 17.53 vs 17.00 on the Wreckoning. I would move my elevensix over to the FB.

I love the wreck but i am always willing to do trades to try new stuff. I have not ridden the FB but i know a few guys that love them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    very interesting. with your 170mm fork, the geo's should be very similar between the two, especially in the XLow position.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    What I loved about the Firebird is it's composure. There is literally nothing I could do to make it feel out of sorts. On my first ride I hit an unmaintained 15 foot drop, I only ever thought about attempting it on a DH bike before. I also hauled ass into the biggest rocks in a super chunky rock garden, square edge hit after square edge hit. Even with the suspension bottomed it still felt plush, never any harsh end of stroke impacts. You do not need to worry about line choice, ruts or rocks too big. I'm a pretty confident rider but that thing takes it to a-whole-nother level. It really blurs the line between all mountain and dh. Imo the wreckoning does not feel like a dh bike, even with a 180/170 fork. The wreckoning is very comfortable, but there are still times it reacts different than I was expecting. The FB feels like it's thinking what you're thinking all the time.

I rode the FB on some super steep tech and on more mellow chunk and it was still fun on the more mellow stuff. As for climbing it doesn't have the roll over 29ers have, but has amazing traction and I was able to kind of ram the front wheel into and over almost anything. It's very efficient. It doesn't have much front wheel lift. No doubt it climbs much better than the nomad 3 and Mach 6 I had before.

The reason I went with the wreckoning over the Firebird is the 29er buzz. I feel like it'll hold its value better since it's somewhat one of a kind. It also cost me about $1k less cuz I found a used wreck frame. I demo'd a Hightower and a switchblade and knew I wanted to get on the 29er train. The wreckoning is like those but with better big hit capability. Basically it's great at everything, so it's the best quiver killer. Honestly though, on the right trails the FB wins the fun contest. I don't know if I'll ever fall in love with the 29 inch rear wheel.

I'm 5'10.5" I rode both the medium and large, they both felt great. The large has a little more room to really lean it over and whip it around. My reckoning is a medium, I like the fit with a 50mm stem.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    What I loved about the Firebird is it's composure. There is literally nothing I could do to make it feel out of sorts. On my first ride I hit an unmaintained 15 foot drop, I only ever thought about attempting it on a DH bike before. I also hauled ass into the biggest rocks in a super chunky rock garden, square edge hit after square edge hit. Even with the suspension bottomed it still felt plush, never any harsh end of stroke impacts. You do not need to worry about line choice, ruts or rocks too big. I'm a pretty confident rider but that thing takes it to a-whole-nother level. It really blurs the line between all mountain and dh. Imo the wreckoning does not feel like a dh bike, even with a 180/170 fork. The wreckoning is very comfortable, but there are still times it reacts different than I was expecting. The FB feels like it's thinking what you're thinking all the time.

I rode the FB on some super steep tech and on more mellow chunk and it was still fun on the more mellow stuff. As for climbing it doesn't have the roll over 29ers have, but has amazing traction and I was able to kind of ram the front wheel into and over almost anything. It's very efficient. It doesn't have much front wheel lift. No doubt it climbs much better than the nomad 3 and Mach 6 I had before.

The reason I went with the wreckoning over the Firebird is the 29er buzz. I feel like it'll hold its value better since it's somewhat one of a kind. It also cost me about $1k less cuz I found a used wreck frame. I demo'd a Hightower and a switchblade and knew I wanted to get on the 29er train. The wreckoning is like those but with better big hit capability. Basically it's great at everything, so it's the best quiver killer. Honestly though, on the right trails the FB wins the fun contest. I don't know if I'll ever fall in love with the 29 inch rear wheel.

I'm 5'10.5" I rode both the medium and large, they both felt great. The large has a little more room to really lean it over and whip it around. My reckoning is a medium, I like the fit with a 50mm stem.
    What size FB are you on? I have the option to trade my wreck for a FB and I am seriously considering it. I would move the 11/6 over to the FB. I am also on a M Wreck.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowsed341 View Post
    What size FB are you on? I have the option to trade my wreck for a FB and I am seriously considering it. I would move the 11/6 over to the FB. I am also on a M Wreck.
    Can you test ride the bike you'd trade for?

I don't own a Firebird I just rode it a handful of times. I rode the med and large. I'd probably buy a large.

LCW
    mtbr member
    If anyone is ever selling a small Wreckoning frame (megalodon blue) please PM me. Thx

EVIL Following

Surly Wednesday

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Can you test ride the bike you'd trade for?

I don't own a Firebird I just rode it a handful of times. I rode the med and large. I'd probably buy a large.
    No but i have sat on a large and it felt like a boat lol. I think a medium might be a better fit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Hello! Anyone know how the bottomless rings are on the Monarch in the Wreckoning? I opened mine up and it has one on the neg and one on the positive. Is this right? I think I might have moved one of the rings to the neg side when I slid the canister down. Can anyone please confirm how the rings are set up on their frames?

Thanks!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I bought my Medium used, so I don't know if the prior owner changed anything. But this is what it looks like inside:

mtbr member
    Stock in my shock was two rings on the positive side and none on the negative...just like the pic above.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I bought my Medium used, so I don't know if the prior owner changed anything. But this is what it looks like inside:
    Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    Stock in my shock was two rings on the positive side and none on the negative...just like the pic above.
    Thanks guys!
    Cheers!

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Hey Guys, sorry if this has been discussed earlier as I'm new to the forum.

I've just finished building the bike and I noticed that the chainring (RaceFace DM N/W) is dangerously close to the chainstay to the point where it will touch with a little lateral movement. But still nicely centered in the chainguide. Is this normal??

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Read evils FAQ:

"WHY DOES THE CHAIN RIDE SO CLOSE TO THE CHAIN STAY?

Due to progressive kinematics, tight clearances and the need for super stiff chain stays we increased the chain stay heights which gives about 2-3mm of chain clearance just like a motocross bike.. Braaap"

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Thanks, but I was actually referring to the chainring. I haven't got a photo of my bike on me so I've attached a photo from the interweb to show you what I mean.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Evil Bikes: The Wreckoning - User Review-chainline.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I guess if the chain lines up then, yes, it's normal. There shouldn't be much lateral flex in the frame there given its proximity to the main pivot. The only problem I could see is if your cranks have a spider that hits the swing arm. Have you checked it for damage after a good ride?

KmartMTB
    Dec 2016

Question regarding your WRECKONING Review,

Would you say the "fun" factor is higher on the Wreck or the Following? I demoed a Following and that thing is fun but I've not been able to demo a wreckoning. I'm worried the wreckoning will just plow and make most trails almost too easy.
    Thank you for your input!

Quote Originally Posted by The Crza View Post
    Wreckoning Ride Report (posted this in an earlier thread a week or so ago)

Background

I own a Following and I consider it one of the best bikes I have ridden in my 20 years of mashing pedals. The Following is definitely in my top 5 of all time (in no order: following, uprising, SC V10-26in, Knolly Endorphin-26in and Chromag Surface)

Stats

I'm 6'3/6'4 and 180lbs. I like my bikes on the smaller side so instead of XL's I usually ride L's. Just my preference and works with my riding style. I also ride 2-3 times a week in SoCal (dusty, rocky). My Following is a L with 170mm cranks, 50mm stem and 800mm bars (same thing with the Wreckoning)

Why the Wreckoning?

Even though the Following is more than capable of crushing most trails there have been times I had wished for more travel. With bike park season getting close I figured the Wreckoning would be a good addition to the quiver. I took it out and thrashed it around and here are my thoughts. Hopefully it can help some of you with making a decision to get one or not.

It's burly

First looking at it you realize how over built the Wreckoning is compared to the Following and it's clear why team dudes are winning DH races aboard this whip. Oversized tubes and thick junctions are confidence inspiring and that's just based on the looks. My Wreckoning has the Vivid shock and Boost Lyrik Dual position.

Going up

The bike is noticeably heavier than the Following but the Wreckoning still can climb with the best or at least bikes in the same class. Definitely not the fastest up the hill and not as fast as the Following going up but if you buy this bike you obviously aren't buying it to crush those fire road climbs. Rest assured you can still crank up the hill and enjoy the ride down.

Flats and "playfulness"

The first thing you notice is that this bike only comes to life when things start getting fast. At slower to moderate speeds the bike felt like a tank and doesn't have that willingness to slash and pop around the trail like the Following. However once I got up to speed the bike came to life and would crush bermed corners and eat any chunder or trail obstacles. Again, I wasn't able to bounce off objects or manual as easy but that would change once I got cooking.

Point it down and hold on

Now this is what this bike was meant to do. It's almost scary how dominating this rig is. It floats over the harsh terrain with ease and makes the steep technical gnar feel easy. Even when moments where I thought I was entering sections too fast the bike maintained composure and rolled through with ease. I was hooting and hollering down sections I'm normally quiet with laser like focus. It's the first "all mountain" rig I've ridden that reminded me of what it feels like riding a DH bike. Flat out ripper and confidence inspiring.

The bike handled slow tech really well which surprised me. I thought the 160mm fork, slacked front end and 29in wheel would make it clumsy but that wasn't the case. The bike definitely wants to be ridden fast though and even when I didn't pick the right line it didn't phase the bikes course of travel.

Should I get one?

I'm sure if you are still reading this you are trying to answer that question. It really comes down to the type of riding you do (or want to do). The Following is a super capable rig and has surprised me on numerous trails from bike parks to gnarly tech trails. The Following does get out of its comfort zone on trails that might normally be reserved for DH or "Freeride" style rigs but it will still get you down, it's just a bit more nerve racking. The Wreckoning (in my opinion) is aimed at the person who wants to tackle seriously treacherous terrain at speed. This bike is probably the closest to a DH bike I've ridden in the AM/Trail category. If you are looking for some thing with more travel for comfort or peace of mind this bike will satisfy that need as well. It won't win any hill climb races (unless it's technical / think truck-rock-crawler). You can't go wrong with either bike because both are super fun.

For you A.D.D types

-crushes downhills / closest to a DH bike but can go up hill
    -best when going fast
    -not as playful at slow to medium speeds compared to the Following
    -confidence inspiring
    -bad chain clearance with 32x10 but not a deal breaker
    -heavy compared to the Following but not a deal breaker
    -one of the most fun bikes I've ridden

See you out there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I think it comes down to the types of trails you ride. I ride the Wreckoning as my Everyday 1 bike solution. For the trails i ride it makes sense. I have everything from flowy trails to rocky steep trails (downhill bike territory).

If you ride on flat XC type trails this probably not the bike.

As far as fun its not lacking in that department.

KmartMTB
    Dec 2016
    Thank you for taking the time to respond so quickly. I ride rocky, techy, downhill type stuff mostly so the Wreckoning seems awesome. I go to the bike parks too. I'm just concerned when I turn around and climb back up all of that rocky and techy stuff the wreckoning is going to wear out these 49 year old legs:-) Plus, I was surprised how well the following did with a measly 120mm of travel on the tough trail I took it on during the demo. And it was super fun to jump.

Long Travel Lover
    Added Eagle to the Wrecker for this season. Works well to have the wider range to help with gearing and chainring selection. Interesting to note that my trail bike can usually outclimb the Wrecker, except on rocky, techy ups.

KmartMTB
    Dec 2016
    what's your trail bike? Thanks for info.

Long Travel Lover
    Intense Primer. Lighter and quicker with great acceleration but doesn't match the traction of the Wreckoning when things get rough.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    And the winner is....The Wreckoning !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRwbBFrJGng&app=desktop

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Does a 2.6 NN fit on the wreck in the rear?

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I doubt it. I just put in a Continental 2.4 Trail King (on 35mm ID rims) and it is going to cause problems. Have to go back to the Minion DHR 2.4 WT.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    looks like their test sled had bosses for bottle cage mounts....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowsed341 View Post
    Does a 2.6 NN fit on the wreck in the rear?

Thanks
    I am interested in this as well.

I have a 2.35 Nobby Nic on a 35i rim and I wouldn't want it to be any taller. It could be marginally wider...say if the knobs were placed farther down on the casing. But the casing can't really get much larger.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I know if at least one person who ran the NN 2.6 on 35mm internal carbon rims. He said it worked but clearance was tight.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I know if at least one person who ran the NN 2.6 on 35mm internal carbon rims. He said it worked but clearance was tight.

So with a smaller internal it would most likely fit i am guessing.

If anyone has a picture that would be amazing. Just wondering how the sizing will be for the new Maxxis 2.6 tires.

mtbr member
    That is one nice video with the Wreckoning in action:

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/the-sy...amp-video.html

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Anyone running a Fox Float X Evol on the Wreckoning? How does it perform in comparison to the standard Monarch Plus and what tune does it need?
    Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    The Delta leverage curve and the float X were both designed to provide a pedal platform. That combo will not provide a supple down hill ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Evil sells the insurgent with a float x evol. I had one on my insurgent no complaints it was awesome. Just got a good deal on an 11-6 so went that route. Im sure if you called them they could steer you in the right direction for the proper tune.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have a Santa Cruz Hightower which i love, set up w 29x 2.6 NNs. My brother in law has the wreck, one try of his bike and wow, if the HIghtower is an 11, the wreck is a 12.

BTW, the Trail King is actually "taller" than the NN on most rims and so w the Hightower a NN fits but Trail King rubs. Probably the same with the Wreck based on eyeballing my brother in laws wreck.

I may need one of these things...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Hello guys,

I am close to 6'1" and wondering if size XL will fit fine for me?

Evils website says only 6'4" upwards for the XL.
    I dont think it is that big looking at the geometry, but maybe it feels different.

Currently I am running my bike with reach of 450 and 50mm stem and think it is a bit short.

So I would rather size up on the frame and use a shorter stem if possible.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    If it helps I am the same height on a large running a 35mm stem and the fit is great for me.

mtbr member
    Internet cycling recommendations are so difficult as everyone likes their fit a bit different. The thing to keep in mind on the Wreckoning is that the stack height is around 1" taller than many other brands in size L and XL. So...even if a reach measurement is similar nominally it may "feel" longer due to that stack height.

I am 6'3" and really like the XL. I am using a 60 mm stem and don't feel stretched out at all. If you have long arms and/ or like longer bikes it may work just fine. It would be out of the normal range chosen by most riders your height but that doesn't mean it can't work just fine.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Hey Titus what's your inseam?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    My inseam is ~33" at 6'1". I guess my upper body is a bit longer than average. So this could be reason I always feel large bikes are a bit cramped for me, especially out of the saddle.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by lakekeman View Post
    My inseam is ~33" at 6'1". I guess my upper body is a bit longer than average. So this could be reason I always feel large bikes are a bit cramped for me, especially out of the saddle.

Okay Thank,s I have a 32" inseam and ride a 2014 Scott Genius 910, which is a XL, but the XL Scott is close in Geometry to a large Wrekoning, so I may may go with a large Wrek, The Scott fits just rite, Geometry wise the Large wrek is slightly bigger than my Scott.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I'm 5'11 (6'0 with shoes), just picked up a large Wreckoning frame. Hopefully it's the right choice as I ride a large Nomad3 now and wouldn't mind a bit longer reach. I also do a lot of shuttling and bike park. Pumped to get it built, never really ridden a 29er.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    6'1.5" and ride the large w 50mm stem. Prior to the Wreckoning I was on an XL Process 111 w 30mm stem. Personally I would caution against going too big w a short stem. In my experience going bigger with a super short stem makes the front wheel want to push in corners. At my size the Large is absolutely perfect.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ray0311 View Post
    Hey Titus what's your inseam?
    About 35" but I ride flat pedals and don't have my seat nearly as high as most riders in my height range.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I have never been on a 29er, or an Evil before, but a friend asked me to demo a Wreckoning from my LBS and see what I think. My current bikes are a Knolly Warden and Endorphin. I am nearly 59, 5'9.5", been riding for 30 years and have been riding well of late. The shop was delighted to hook me up with a medium Wreck fresh out of the box. I dialled in the suspension a bit, set my controls, saddle and hit the trails this morning with 3 fast friends.
    I firmed the shock on the road, but it pedaled better than my Knollys open. Climbed up a tight, twisty, steep trail no problem. I was surprised that it handled the tight corners, but it did. Down the 1st swoop trail and it felt natural. Cornering was fun and easy. Didn't have to manhandle it. Conditions were good on the next steeper and chunkier trail and the big wheels do roll better in the rough. Again cornering was great. Steeps were a bit less steep compared to the Endo. It smoothed out the rough. Next up was Thirsty Beaver. Wow! It ate up the chunk and spat out stones. Easy to get around the switchbacks and like a run away train on the straighter sections. It seemed to pop off just as well as the Endo. Finally we a root strewn ascent and kept up with fine with the fastest. Handled this very well. Bigger wheels. The descent is long, pretty straight, and stupidly fast. Only residual common sense kept my speed in check a bit Overall there were no bad traits. Suspension performed very well. I liked the Lyric, similar to Pike. Eagle shifted well, but not much better than XT. Don't need the range. 32 x 10-50. TRS+ tires performed well. 40mm stem and 800mm bar felt good and only clipped 1 tree slightly. The blue looked beautiful. Recommended immediate purchase.

I knew going in that the DHness was a given, but the tight climbing surprised me. Cornering the big wheels was quite easy. 29 is getting good.

https://www.relive.cc/view/1008519711
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Good write up. Nice Ride! 51, been living on Van Isle the last 15 years (Victoria) and have owned a few Knollys (Delirium T, first gen Endorphin, Chilcotin). I currently own a Following. Intended on getting a carbon Warden to replace the Chilcotin, but i was getting impatient with the wait so ended up pulling the trigger on the Following. First 29'er, took a few rides to get used to it. Not saying i will never own a Knolly again, because i love their bikes, but i find that the Following is almost the perfect bike for the trails around here (mostly the Dump, Tzhouhalem, Sooke), though certainly been interested in trying a Wreckoning. Never ridden Cumberland, looks like i gotta get up there one of these weekends. The Island is such a great place to ride.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast