Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    wretch
    The Wreck (with an 11-6) is easily the best, most fun, and fastest bike in it's relative class that i've ever thrown a leg over.

Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Trash View Post
    The Wreck (with an 11-6) is easily the best, most fun, and fastest bike in it's relative class that i've ever thrown a leg over.

Enjoy!
    Tell us what you've owned recently.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by rondre3000 View Post
    Tell us what you've owned recently.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Well i have had the following bikes:

Wreckoning with elevensix
    Yeti 5.5c
    Evil Insurgent
    Intense Spider 275
    Specialized Stumpy

I can honestly say that I agree with Truckee. Beat all my 5.5c PRs and it is the most fun.

wretch
    owned
    Enduro 26
    Stumpjumper Evo 29
    Enduro 29
    Niner RIP RDO
    Niner JET RDO

ridden
    Nomad
    Ghost SL-AMR
    Firebird
    Mojo

To put the perceived ride characteristics into words is tricky. I don't time stuff on Strava and I don't race. It's a combination of the fit of the bike, a refined, almost dialed long travel 29 geometry (where it takes the cake over the Enduro) and the feel I have charging down familiar rowdy trails. Confidence, comfort, and fun. It weighs more than any other bike i've built or ridden but none of that matters once your riding it. The traction alone gained from the 11-6 for both climbing and descending is a game changer. I think another factor that adds to my overall stoke on the bike is that for the first time in my cycling life I have a fork and shock that are professionally tuned for me. Huge difference.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Rondre - Not taking anything away from the 5.5c. The 5.5c is an awesome bike, better climber than the wreck and faster in straight away speed. The Wreckoning to me is just more fun and corners a little better.

You really cannot go wrong if you were to purchase either. I think the yeti gets more acclaim because yeti is an established brand with a great following. Evil is a new up and coming brand. People read horror stories from early models and get scared away. I have had two Evils and both have been great no issues with durability.

The bike i really want to try is the Pivot switchblade, i demo'd one and it was awesome. I'm just not willing to drop 6500-7500 on a bike when they really should offer a frame only. Maybe in a year i will have a Wreck and a switchblade.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    The new firebird is the only bike I've ridden that may be more fun than the wreck to smash dh trails on. It climbs pretty good too. I'm trying to justify owning both, but can't quite get there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleMtnSlayer View Post
    The new firebird is the only bike I've ridden that may be more fun than the wreck to smash dh trails on. It climbs pretty good too. I'm trying to justify owning both, but can't quite get there.
    Purple can you talk about how the Firebird climbs. I actually have the option to trade right now. I Ride a Med Wreck and was wondering if the Medium FB would be a good fit? I generally use Reach as my main barometer. The reach on the FB is 17.53 vs 17.00 on the Wreckoning. I would move my elevensix over to the FB.

I love the wreck but i am always willing to do trades to try new stuff. I have not ridden the FB but i know a few guys that love them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    very interesting. with your 170mm fork, the geo's should be very similar between the two, especially in the XLow position.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    What I loved about the Firebird is it's composure. There is literally nothing I could do to make it feel out of sorts. On my first ride I hit an unmaintained 15 foot drop, I only ever thought about attempting it on a DH bike before. I also hauled ass into the biggest rocks in a super chunky rock garden, square edge hit after square edge hit. Even with the suspension bottomed it still felt plush, never any harsh end of stroke impacts. You do not need to worry about line choice, ruts or rocks too big. I'm a pretty confident rider but that thing takes it to a-whole-nother level. It really blurs the line between all mountain and dh. Imo the wreckoning does not feel like a dh bike, even with a 180/170 fork. The wreckoning is very comfortable, but there are still times it reacts different than I was expecting. The FB feels like it's thinking what you're thinking all the time.

I rode the FB on some super steep tech and on more mellow chunk and it was still fun on the more mellow stuff. As for climbing it doesn't have the roll over 29ers have, but has amazing traction and I was able to kind of ram the front wheel into and over almost anything. It's very efficient. It doesn't have much front wheel lift. No doubt it climbs much better than the nomad 3 and Mach 6 I had before.

The reason I went with the wreckoning over the Firebird is the 29er buzz. I feel like it'll hold its value better since it's somewhat one of a kind. It also cost me about $1k less cuz I found a used wreck frame. I demo'd a Hightower and a switchblade and knew I wanted to get on the 29er train. The wreckoning is like those but with better big hit capability. Basically it's great at everything, so it's the best quiver killer. Honestly though, on the right trails the FB wins the fun contest. I don't know if I'll ever fall in love with the 29 inch rear wheel.

I'm 5'10.5" I rode both the medium and large, they both felt great. The large has a little more room to really lean it over and whip it around. My reckoning is a medium, I like the fit with a 50mm stem.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    What I loved about the Firebird is it's composure. There is literally nothing I could do to make it feel out of sorts. On my first ride I hit an unmaintained 15 foot drop, I only ever thought about attempting it on a DH bike before. I also hauled ass into the biggest rocks in a super chunky rock garden, square edge hit after square edge hit. Even with the suspension bottomed it still felt plush, never any harsh end of stroke impacts. You do not need to worry about line choice, ruts or rocks too big. I'm a pretty confident rider but that thing takes it to a-whole-nother level. It really blurs the line between all mountain and dh. Imo the wreckoning does not feel like a dh bike, even with a 180/170 fork. The wreckoning is very comfortable, but there are still times it reacts different than I was expecting. The FB feels like it's thinking what you're thinking all the time.

I rode the FB on some super steep tech and on more mellow chunk and it was still fun on the more mellow stuff. As for climbing it doesn't have the roll over 29ers have, but has amazing traction and I was able to kind of ram the front wheel into and over almost anything. It's very efficient. It doesn't have much front wheel lift. No doubt it climbs much better than the nomad 3 and Mach 6 I had before.

The reason I went with the wreckoning over the Firebird is the 29er buzz. I feel like it'll hold its value better since it's somewhat one of a kind. It also cost me about $1k less cuz I found a used wreck frame. I demo'd a Hightower and a switchblade and knew I wanted to get on the 29er train. The wreckoning is like those but with better big hit capability. Basically it's great at everything, so it's the best quiver killer. Honestly though, on the right trails the FB wins the fun contest. I don't know if I'll ever fall in love with the 29 inch rear wheel.

I'm 5'10.5" I rode both the medium and large, they both felt great. The large has a little more room to really lean it over and whip it around. My reckoning is a medium, I like the fit with a 50mm stem.
    What size FB are you on? I have the option to trade my wreck for a FB and I am seriously considering it. I would move the 11/6 over to the FB. I am also on a M Wreck.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowsed341 View Post
    What size FB are you on? I have the option to trade my wreck for a FB and I am seriously considering it. I would move the 11/6 over to the FB. I am also on a M Wreck.
    Can you test ride the bike you'd trade for?

I don't own a Firebird I just rode it a handful of times. I rode the med and large. I'd probably buy a large.

LCW
    mtbr member
    If anyone is ever selling a small Wreckoning frame (megalodon blue) please PM me. Thx

EVIL Following

Surly Wednesday

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Can you test ride the bike you'd trade for?

I don't own a Firebird I just rode it a handful of times. I rode the med and large. I'd probably buy a large.
    No but i have sat on a large and it felt like a boat lol. I think a medium might be a better fit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Hello! Anyone know how the bottomless rings are on the Monarch in the Wreckoning? I opened mine up and it has one on the neg and one on the positive. Is this right? I think I might have moved one of the rings to the neg side when I slid the canister down. Can anyone please confirm how the rings are set up on their frames?

Thanks!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I bought my Medium used, so I don't know if the prior owner changed anything. But this is what it looks like inside:

mtbr member
    Stock in my shock was two rings on the positive side and none on the negative...just like the pic above.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I bought my Medium used, so I don't know if the prior owner changed anything. But this is what it looks like inside:
    Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    Stock in my shock was two rings on the positive side and none on the negative...just like the pic above.
    Thanks guys!
    Cheers!

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Hey Guys, sorry if this has been discussed earlier as I'm new to the forum.

I've just finished building the bike and I noticed that the chainring (RaceFace DM N/W) is dangerously close to the chainstay to the point where it will touch with a little lateral movement. But still nicely centered in the chainguide. Is this normal??

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Read evils FAQ:

"WHY DOES THE CHAIN RIDE SO CLOSE TO THE CHAIN STAY?

Due to progressive kinematics, tight clearances and the need for super stiff chain stays we increased the chain stay heights which gives about 2-3mm of chain clearance just like a motocross bike.. Braaap"

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Thanks, but I was actually referring to the chainring. I haven't got a photo of my bike on me so I've attached a photo from the interweb to show you what I mean.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Evil Bikes: The Wreckoning - User Review-chainline.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I guess if the chain lines up then, yes, it's normal. There shouldn't be much lateral flex in the frame there given its proximity to the main pivot. The only problem I could see is if your cranks have a spider that hits the swing arm. Have you checked it for damage after a good ride?

KmartMTB
    Dec 2016

Question regarding your WRECKONING Review,

Would you say the "fun" factor is higher on the Wreck or the Following? I demoed a Following and that thing is fun but I've not been able to demo a wreckoning. I'm worried the wreckoning will just plow and make most trails almost too easy.
    Thank you for your input!

Quote Originally Posted by The Crza View Post
    Wreckoning Ride Report (posted this in an earlier thread a week or so ago)

Background

I own a Following and I consider it one of the best bikes I have ridden in my 20 years of mashing pedals. The Following is definitely in my top 5 of all time (in no order: following, uprising, SC V10-26in, Knolly Endorphin-26in and Chromag Surface)

Stats

I'm 6'3/6'4 and 180lbs. I like my bikes on the smaller side so instead of XL's I usually ride L's. Just my preference and works with my riding style. I also ride 2-3 times a week in SoCal (dusty, rocky). My Following is a L with 170mm cranks, 50mm stem and 800mm bars (same thing with the Wreckoning)

Why the Wreckoning?

Even though the Following is more than capable of crushing most trails there have been times I had wished for more travel. With bike park season getting close I figured the Wreckoning would be a good addition to the quiver. I took it out and thrashed it around and here are my thoughts. Hopefully it can help some of you with making a decision to get one or not.

It's burly

First looking at it you realize how over built the Wreckoning is compared to the Following and it's clear why team dudes are winning DH races aboard this whip. Oversized tubes and thick junctions are confidence inspiring and that's just based on the looks. My Wreckoning has the Vivid shock and Boost Lyrik Dual position.

Going up

The bike is noticeably heavier than the Following but the Wreckoning still can climb with the best or at least bikes in the same class. Definitely not the fastest up the hill and not as fast as the Following going up but if you buy this bike you obviously aren't buying it to crush those fire road climbs. Rest assured you can still crank up the hill and enjoy the ride down.

Flats and "playfulness"

The first thing you notice is that this bike only comes to life when things start getting fast. At slower to moderate speeds the bike felt like a tank and doesn't have that willingness to slash and pop around the trail like the Following. However once I got up to speed the bike came to life and would crush bermed corners and eat any chunder or trail obstacles. Again, I wasn't able to bounce off objects or manual as easy but that would change once I got cooking.

Point it down and hold on

Now this is what this bike was meant to do. It's almost scary how dominating this rig is. It floats over the harsh terrain with ease and makes the steep technical gnar feel easy. Even when moments where I thought I was entering sections too fast the bike maintained composure and rolled through with ease. I was hooting and hollering down sections I'm normally quiet with laser like focus. It's the first "all mountain" rig I've ridden that reminded me of what it feels like riding a DH bike. Flat out ripper and confidence inspiring.

The bike handled slow tech really well which surprised me. I thought the 160mm fork, slacked front end and 29in wheel would make it clumsy but that wasn't the case. The bike definitely wants to be ridden fast though and even when I didn't pick the right line it didn't phase the bikes course of travel.

Should I get one?

I'm sure if you are still reading this you are trying to answer that question. It really comes down to the type of riding you do (or want to do). The Following is a super capable rig and has surprised me on numerous trails from bike parks to gnarly tech trails. The Following does get out of its comfort zone on trails that might normally be reserved for DH or "Freeride" style rigs but it will still get you down, it's just a bit more nerve racking. The Wreckoning (in my opinion) is aimed at the person who wants to tackle seriously treacherous terrain at speed. This bike is probably the closest to a DH bike I've ridden in the AM/Trail category. If you are looking for some thing with more travel for comfort or peace of mind this bike will satisfy that need as well. It won't win any hill climb races (unless it's technical / think truck-rock-crawler). You can't go wrong with either bike because both are super fun.

For you A.D.D types

-crushes downhills / closest to a DH bike but can go up hill
    -best when going fast
    -not as playful at slow to medium speeds compared to the Following
    -confidence inspiring
    -bad chain clearance with 32x10 but not a deal breaker
    -heavy compared to the Following but not a deal breaker
    -one of the most fun bikes I've ridden

See you out there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I think it comes down to the types of trails you ride. I ride the Wreckoning as my Everyday 1 bike solution. For the trails i ride it makes sense. I have everything from flowy trails to rocky steep trails (downhill bike territory).

If you ride on flat XC type trails this probably not the bike.

As far as fun its not lacking in that department.

KmartMTB
    Dec 2016
    Thank you for taking the time to respond so quickly. I ride rocky, techy, downhill type stuff mostly so the Wreckoning seems awesome. I go to the bike parks too. I'm just concerned when I turn around and climb back up all of that rocky and techy stuff the wreckoning is going to wear out these 49 year old legs:-) Plus, I was surprised how well the following did with a measly 120mm of travel on the tough trail I took it on during the demo. And it was super fun to jump.

Long Travel Lover
    Added Eagle to the Wrecker for this season. Works well to have the wider range to help with gearing and chainring selection. Interesting to note that my trail bike can usually outclimb the Wrecker, except on rocky, techy ups.

KmartMTB
    Dec 2016
    what's your trail bike? Thanks for info.

Long Travel Lover
    Intense Primer. Lighter and quicker with great acceleration but doesn't match the traction of the Wreckoning when things get rough.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    And the winner is....The Wreckoning !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRwbBFrJGng&app=desktop

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Does a 2.6 NN fit on the wreck in the rear?

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I doubt it. I just put in a Continental 2.4 Trail King (on 35mm ID rims) and it is going to cause problems. Have to go back to the Minion DHR 2.4 WT.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    looks like their test sled had bosses for bottle cage mounts....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowsed341 View Post
    Does a 2.6 NN fit on the wreck in the rear?

Thanks
    I am interested in this as well.

I have a 2.35 Nobby Nic on a 35i rim and I wouldn't want it to be any taller. It could be marginally wider...say if the knobs were placed farther down on the casing. But the casing can't really get much larger.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I know if at least one person who ran the NN 2.6 on 35mm internal carbon rims. He said it worked but clearance was tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by chowdapilot View Post
    I know if at least one person who ran the NN 2.6 on 35mm internal carbon rims. He said it worked but clearance was tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So with a smaller internal it would most likely fit i am guessing.

If anyone has a picture that would be amazing. Just wondering how the sizing will be for the new Maxxis 2.6 tires.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910