mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Top Places in Austria

Hey All,
    I will be travelling to Austria for a bit over a week later on this year and wanted to get the low down. Can anyone recommend some cool places to stay (for a bit over a week)? Looking to be in the mountains/hilly terrain with good scenery etc. and of course some sweet trails.
    Cheers!

mtbr member
    I've only ridden touring bikes while there so I can't speak for the mtn biking. However, I do vacation there almost yearly so I can give you some tips on what to do while there. My don't miss city would be Salzburg and also the whole Salzkammergut area.
    "The Jeep is America's only real sports car"
    Enzo Ferrari

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Innsbruck - Tirol is the best area to ride trails!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    have a look at Saalbach-Hinterglemm.

there are four or fives lifts in the valley, with at least one official "freeride" trail departing from the top of each lift. there are also plenty of hiking trails that can be ridden - so long as you give the walkers there plenty of room and are curteous.

if you book into selected hotels or apartments there you can recieve a Joker Card. this gives you free access to the lifts plus discounted access to other amenities.

Leogang is in the next valley and with the Joker Card you get to use the Leogang lift once a day.

it is also relatively easy to get to with the train from Salzburg, Innsbruck or Munich.

just google "saalbach hinterglemm" for more info.

the riding around Innsbruck is also good, but the infrastructure isn't as good as it is in Saalbach-Hinterglemm.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Salkammergut Area is great, but also the Olypia Region is wanderful and Seefeld (the major city) is great with lake, mountain and lovely citycenter Near you can find Sant Anthon and Garmish (germany). The best place for biking is Karwendal Park.