Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Moving to Paris.... where can I ride?

I am from Brazil and moving to Paris early April.

I would like to hear from someone here where the best bike shops I can go to get in touch with bikers to ride with.

I will bring my mountain bike and my road bike.

Also, where is the best place for a biker to live in Paris, considering proximity with bike shops and, mostly, proximity to training spots during the weekdays...

Merci d'avance

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Thanks CV for the PM. Great tips.

More tips are welcome, of course!

Today I got in touch with Paris Bike Co, which seems to offer custom workouts.
    They also offer airport pick-ups for bikes, storage, rental, bike fit.... Hope they can show me some good trails for MTB or routes for road around/within Paris.

here today
    Quote Originally Posted by Thiago Nicoluci
    Thanks CV for the PM. Great tips.

More tips are welcome, of course!

Today I got in touch with Paris Bike Co, which seems to offer custom workouts.
    They also offer airport pick-ups for bikes, storage, rental, bike fit.... Hope they can show me some good trails for MTB or routes for road around/within Paris.
    Take the train out to Triel Sur Seine to the West and ride up into the woods there, great play area or south of Paris you have Fountainbleau and south west Vallee de la Chevreuse. All good riding areas.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by zenmonkey
    Take the train out to Triel Sur Seine to the West and ride up into the woods there, great play area or south of Paris you have Fountainbleau and south west Vallee de la Chevreuse. All good riding areas.
    That's great! thanks a lot.

I arrived today in Paris. Will live in the 16eme, close to Victor Hugo and close to Bois de Bolougne. My MTB is arriving in 2 weeks but my road bike is here and ready to fly.

I've already visited a couple of bike shops, with the following tips:

Cycles Laurent: they told me that there are road bike groups riding a few km course in Bois de Bolougne and Bois de Vincennes, but there are also groups of rodies leaving the city for longer workouts - Paris Cyclist Olympique.
    They also tolde me mountain biking is hard to find close to the city.....but I will not give up looking.

Franscoop: at this shop the guy told me pretty much the same, but including some tips for mountain biking close to Paris, such as the ones zenmonkey mentioned (Fountainbleau and Valee de la Chevreuse). I will try them as soon as possible.

So, please, if anyone in the area, let me know so that we can arrange a ride together.

Thanks for all the support!!

ced
    mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hi Thiago Nicoluci,

I'm French and before moving to Tennessee, I lived close "la vallee de Chevreuse". It's a very nice place to ride and the week-end there are a lot of both road bike riders and motorcycle riders.
    About the MTB I don't know.

To go through "la vallee de Chevreuse", you can take either your car and drive about 30 min from south of Paris. Go direction south-west between "Versailles" and "Rambouillet" or take a train RER E (Green line) and stop at the last station “St Remy les Chevreuse”

You can go also to “Le bois de Vincenne” near “le chateau de Vincenne”. Take the subway line 1 (Yellow line).

Enjoy on the French trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Hi ced

I've already been to Chevreuse for 3 w-ends in a row - very nice area to ride with some short climbs. Actually I went all the way with my bike, so it is a 80 - 110km ride. Good, of course, but I miss some more climbings. Do you know where I can find decent, steep, long climbs around?

I've also been to Vincennes - good to ride in the week days, close to the chateau, right? (the triangle path). But I live really close to Bois de Boulogne, so I'd rather go there - also 'cause it is a bit longer than Vincennes'. The place is always crowded with bikers. Nice to see!

Thanks for the advices! Please bring more if you have.

Cheers

ced
    mtbr member
    May 2011
    I never practice the road bike in France so I'm not be able to tell you about the ways.

I found a couple of websites for you

http://www.routeyou.com/route/view/2...e-chevreuse.fr
    http://asso.acmm.free.fr/parcoursClub.php

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Actually I do both road and mountain, but my mtb has not arrived yet.

As soon as I get it I will join some nice guys who I have made contact with..... looking forward to it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I found a link on you tube "VTT en foret de marly" that looks like it might be a good challenge, but I don't have enough posts yet to be able to embed it. just google it though & it should come up. La Forêt de Marly is close to Versailles.

I'm looking for some information from VTT riders in the Paris region myself. I'm a Clydesdale American at 310 lbs & 6'2" looking to get a new VTT. I had a Decathlon B-twin that held up fairly well until a guy on a bike ran into me & cracked my frame. Decathlon replaced it with a Triban, but the wheel in the back wasn't strong enough for me & warped soon after I got it. I went to a bike store in St. Cyr L'Ecole where I live and asked about getting some stronger wheels, but the guy basically told me to lose weight. So I'm wondering if I could get some recommendations on a good bike store in the area & which VTT's I should be looking at in the 800€ range. I'm thinking about a 29er hardtail.......here's a photo of my current bike that has been out of commission for a few years now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moving to Paris.... where can I ride?-dectrib.jpg  

Last edited by VéloJello; 08-24-2011 at 04:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Hi VéloJello
    If I'm not mistaken, St.Cyr Ecole is close to Versailles. I pass by very often throughout that are in my road or MTB workouts.
    The only bike shop I know close to Versailles is Ghidini. It is in Chaville, actually, and I just got a new road bike there. They have been friendly and I found them to have competitive prices if comparing with other Paris stores, or with other relevant on-line stores in internet.

I go very frequently at Foret de Meudon - there is a real labirint of trails which is hard to understand, but always fun and worth trying, and you can have a decent ride with single tracks and some short but steep climbing.
    Also, close to Jouy-En-Josas there are a lot of trails, but I've been there only once to participate on the 10ème Jovacienne - very good cross country indeed.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Dude if you've improved your French since April, you should visit the velovert forums, without any doubt the best mountain bike website in French.

Speaking of this forum check those links out :

Seine et Marne (77).................XC-Rando.........Le forum de Bleau - 77 The fontainebleau forest, best trails to hit around Paris
    Seine et Marne (77).................XC-Rando.........forum du 77 nord
    Yvelines (78).......................XC-Rando.........78 !
    Essonne (91)........................XC-Rando.........Randos en Essonne
    Nord de l'Essonne (91)..............XC-Rando.........VERRIERES/IGNY/BIEVRE/LA MINIERE meudon/clamart
    Essonne et Val de Marne.............Rando............Forêts de Sénart, Rougeau, Val d'Yerres
    Hauts-de-Seine (92).................XC-Rando.........forum du 9.2
    Val de Marne (94)...................XC-Rando.........Forum du VAL DE MARNE
    Val d'Oise (95).....................XC-Rando.........# 95 # val d'oise vert

You're looking for a good shop? Here it is : Alltricks. Best price so far in the area, plus they are well known by the french speaking mountain bikers in Europe for being one of, if not The best french based e-commerce website (Great customer services). They're around Versailles .

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    yeah, St Cyr L'Ecole is right next to Versailles and in fact when my bike was in good working condition I usually just rode it around the canal & trails on the grounds of the Chateau of Versailles. Now I'll have a bunch more options once I get my new bike.
    I was checking out the Alltricks website.... How good is the Mondraker Kit complet FINALIST PRO 2011 Noir/Bleu taille L? The price is right...... with my size, i want to avoid buying from Decathlon... i didn't have much luck with their bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Well the thing is you should be careful with mondraker. Like many Spanish brand you're (way) over the weight limit (around 100-110kg if I remember).

You should visit the shop, at least one of the employees speak English and due to some agreement, some brand are not on their website but they sell it.

Anyway if you're commuting, then you should check this website : velotaf. Even if you're not that familiar with the french language some of the users there are, so you could get better advice (I'm living and working in the South of France, but a regular customer of Alltricks).

But if you can afford it, and due to your body weight you should start looking for an "à la carte" bike. Starting with a Sobre (small french brand, their frames are made by the same workers who made the Surlys) 29" steel frame, just my two cents .

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'm probably going to have a hard time finding a frame with a lifetime warranty for someone at my weight.... around 140kg. You can see the photo of my current bike. Do you think that I could find some stronger wheels that could support my weight while I get into better shape? My wife seems to think that I'm just going to break whatever bike I buy or that I'm going to quit & lose interest after a month or so. I'd love to prove her wrong! I'm actually on vacation in the southwest of France near Sarlat where there are lots of great places for mountain biking... I'd love to be riding while I'm here. Alltricks is less than a 10 minute drive from my apartment. When I get back I think that I'll go by & ask for some advice & see what they have to say.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Don't worry about the wheels. To me it's clear, you need hand built wheels (not industrial wheels like campagnolo, fulcrum, shimano, easton , mavic or whatever).

When I said hand built, I mean hand built by a very good builder (a good builder use a spoke-meter, and he use it right). With the right rim, the right spokes and the right hubs even at 140kg it should be ok.

If you're interested I could give you the names and addresses of some good wheel builders.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    yes, that would be cool if you have the addresses of some good wheel builders. Do you think that it's worth trying to put some custom built wheels on my Decathlon Triban?

I signed up over at Vélovert & it seems like a really good site. My user name is vélojo. I've been researching & their guide d'achat is very good... seems like the prices are better than most other sites I've ran across. Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    So, about the wheels, here comes the links :

Asterion (expensive!!!)
    HOCUS WHEELS
    index (the man behind this website is called karatekid2 on the velovert board)
    Topwheels | Facebook (taupe on velovert board)

It has a price, but the price of quality. In fact it's not that expensive, my own wheels was built by taupe and it worth the price. In fact it was just 50 bucks more than actionsports.de, the lower price in Europe when it comes to custom wheels. Plus taupe is an english speaker if I'm right.

Something about karatekid2, the guy is tall and heavy, not sure if he's an english speaking person.

Anyway, when it comes to wheels on Vélovert, visit This thread. Feel free to participate and ask for some advice.

If you need wheels for you Decathlon, and don't want to brake them once again, then it's worth trying custom built wheels. You're not looking for some lightweight rims, you're looking for custom wheels tough enough for your weight : It's possible.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Ok, thanks for the information. I think whether or not I get a new vtt right now or not that it would be good to keep the Decathlon as a back up or at least to use for the road & keep the new bike exclusively for the trails.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Yes, besides your decathlon is not a real mtb, it's something between a mountain bike, a cyclo-cross and an urban bike (triban is the contraction of tribe and urban). It's the decathlon solution for commuters, and a high end one.

So if you decide to buy a new bike, and real mountain bike this time, you should keep the decathlon, good bike for commuting or for family ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Hi I arrived in Paris two months ago and just found this site. I live in Vitry sur Seine.
    I bought a second hand xc bike in Paris. I've tried Vincennes and it's pretty good.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    You can get to a lot of good MTBing on the RER system. Near to the 16ieme you have Parc St Cloud as well as the Bois de Boulogne, which is more oriented to city cyclotourists.

Not too far you've also got the whole Meudon/Clamart forest. The CAF has a mountain biking section with sunday rides.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Is there anyone here who rides out at Fontainebleau or St Remy, (or really anywhere reachable from Paris) on the weekends in the woods?

I am pretty familiar to with the above mentioned, but know that there are many trails that I don't know and I am looking to explore and for some people to ride with as the normal group I'm with doesn't like the cold...

I need to get some dirt under my tires..
    Thanks!!
    YAARRR!!!

mtbr member
    Anyone here tried Saint-Brice-Sout Foret area in Val d'Oise?
    I live nearby in Sarcelles.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    sorry to jump in here does anyone know any 24hr mtb races in france? my best friend is living there want to visit her/race if i can....

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbharrod View Post
    sorry to jump in here does anyone know any 24hr mtb races in france? my best friend is living there want to visit her/race if i can....
    Too many 24 hours races to stop counting

The question should be : Where does your friend live in France, then I may answer to the question .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast