Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    tragapistas
    hello Miguel
    good videos and good pics

I like your blog, it's very interesting

I love Portugal
    Last edited by abecallejo; 12-11-2011 at 11:28 AM.

mtbr member
    The last 2011 ride

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Bons videos

mtbr member
    One more

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    hey guys can you give me some links to forums / sites that sell bikes i will be coming in portugal for 9months so i want to ride

all i found is olx(dot)pt any other?

if anyone is in algarve area send me a PM

mtbr member
    From this Sunday at Monsanto and Jamor, Lisbon

mtbr member
    My easter vacations at Ponte de Lima, searching in Corno do Bico - Ponte de Lima (north of Portugal) area, with some very very nice trails.

Riderbike
    Nov 2009
    Raid Minas São Domingos/ VRS antónio one of the best adventures of the day ban be done in Portugal ain mountain bike.
    see it in my blog o meu admirável cantinho

mtbr member
    Some trail riding in Monsanto - Lisbon

Riderbike
    Nov 2009
    Nice video Luis. We have to make a ride to make a film production.

Abraço

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Hi,

I´m new on the forum so hello everybody and greetings from Finland.

I have been thinking to escape the incoming winter/darkness (December & January) to somewhere, where there is more sunlight and less rain - and especially no snow.
    I'll be coming with my Nomad (and my better half).

Landing point could be Portugal, Algarve(?). It depends what would be a good location to stay and ride a bike.....I´m all ears here if somebody could help me out!

Time is limited...offcourse... but I´m thinking to spend there 3 - 4 weeks.....

So what choice do I have? Could I rent a chalet or...?

And most important thing, what are the best places to ride

mtbr member
    Thanks Miguel.
    LeffeRuby with a Nomad click here All Mountain Addict | Feeding Adventure they ride Ibis HD, Nomad they are from Lagos (Algarve) and they can help you.

A nice video from them

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Thank you Surfas!

Very nice vid indeed..

I will try to contact them, still if anybody has more tips, ideas, apartments to rent...etc

please, let me know, thanks!

mtbr member
    3 to 4 weeks? That's a lot of time!
    Lately we had some strange weather, switching between cold (for portuguese standard - thats 10ºC/11ºC!) and rain, to hot and sunny (yesterday when I arrived at the car, it was 35ºC!).

With so much time available, and if you have €uros, I would go for a "MTB-Trip"

For starters, I would land in Algarve (I think it's the cheapest flights from Europe), and if weather was OK, I would stay and check Monchique Mountain - There are some trails worth to check.
    Wideopenmag was there, check out: Wideopenmag’s Portugal holiday snaps | wideopen magazine
    There, with good weather (and I belive you'll get good weather), Beach+bike+rest - and you'll get batteries 100% charged!

Next, I would go north, visit Lisbon, and ride in Sintra. I ride a lot, and know a lot of trails around Portugal, and IMO, this is one of the greatest places to ride.
    It's green, good DH tracks (can be riden with a Nomad no problem) and a lot... tons of trails.
    If you're on Sunday, you can come with our ridding group (Enduro Style).

After, I would go to Lousã.
    For me, it's one of the greatest sites to do DH.
    Good tracks, lots of fun, and you can experience where the V10 Carbon was develop with Peat.
    I can give you contacts for uplifts and guide.

So in these 3 sites, you would have plenty to visit (tourism) and biking.
    Up north, you'll also have awesome trails, and Porto is a good spot to stay and relax.

For your travels, it's best to rent a car (commercial vehicle if you're only 2 persons)

Just my 2 cents.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Tkul View Post
    Just my 2 cents.
    Wow, I don't know where to start...thank you so much for the huge information package

Refering to the time that I´m planning to spend in Portugal, I have to say that traveling and biking make me feel that I'm alive, so I´m ready to spend all my money and holidays chasing that feeling ...and I really want to escape snow, christmas and definitely Santa Claus...I dont believe in that old fart

Could you tell something about the weather usually in December & January.... I wouldn´t mind something like 10ºC/11ºC. Rain is another story though...

I really have to check these mtb - trips also, usually they cost a fortune, but we'll see...

I truly believe that having a local "guide" or fellow biker would be the ideal option...
    On the other hand I have plenty of time to get lost and hopefully found

mtbr member
    Leffe,

December / January, normally we've got cold weather.
    Saying this it really doesn't compare with north Europe!

You can check here the temperatures around the year. Max, med, min.

Instituto de Meteorologia, IP Portugal

Choose English, and you can check the temperatures we had in previous years.

Normally, we ride every month and dec and jan temperatures can reach 0 or 1 C.

Algarve is a bit warmer, and north a bit colder.
    In lousa, one year in feb. we add snow (1cm height), in the middle section rain and wet, and at bottom, it was wet a warmer.

Regarding money, I'll write latter.
    If I'm available, it wouldbe great to show our trails on a Sunday morning.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Thank you again, Tkul ... very valuable information
    It is colder than what I thought at the turn of January .. still much better than in Finland ..

We have to try to organize a Sunday ride, as soon as the exact dates have been confirmed, thank you for the offer.

I will try to find accommodation prices, so I have about the idea of ​​the costs over several weeks

Anyway it looks like the destination is going to be Portugal no matter the weather - your country just seems to offer the perfect surroundings for mtb biking.

mtbr member
    Yes at least you've got DAY and NIGHT in the same day!
    January is a long way to come... so, send me a Private Message when it comes close to your holidays.

Money:
    In every Country, price meals varies a lot, and it's good to have something to compare with.
    For ex. BigMac Menu (chips/Coke/burger) is around 6€. On a medium restaurant, prices can vary between 10€ and 20€, but if you look careful I think you'll find cheap meals around everywhere!
    Higher prices can also be found, but a restaurant with a good relation between: quality/food/price, comes around at 15€/20€.

Gasoline and Diesel are a bit expensive if you compare with Spanish prices. At this moment, Diesel worth 1.499€, and Gasoline I think it's 1.7€.

If you come on holidays, try to avoid the highway - it's best to sight seeing, and you can really enjoy some sight viewing!

Algarve to Lisbon, near Atlantic Ocean, has one of the greatest Caps. The view there is beautiful, even during winter!

Hotels, and everything else, you can book using the usual web sites, like booking.
    You can try and call the hotels directly. Sometimes, you can have better deals!

Portugal is a secure country, but that doesn't mean we're assault/violence free!
    An eye on pick-poking while you stay in Urban areas and an eye on the bike is something to look for.
    Other than that, enjoy the country in it's plenitude and joy.

Portuguese, in general are friendly! Communication can be have without proper English.

You'll not regret... EVEN IF IT'S IN JANUARY!

PS - today is something like 30ºC, sun, and blue skies!!!!!!!! If you do surf... bring the board!!!

mtbr member
    The weather, is something that it wouldn't be predictable these days. It's crazy, today we have 27º next week will drop more than 10 degrees!!
    In the beginning of the year we had fantastic weather to ride.

(offtopic) Hope that my next video I'll put here will be with a test on a Tallboy LTc
    Last edited by Surfas; 05-15-2012 at 08:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Surfas,

I think for someone coming from North Europe, will appreciate the weather, even if we say it's cold (like in previous years).

Offtopic: that's a long stem 90mm?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tkul View Post
    I think for someone coming from North Europe, will appreciate the weather, even if we say it's cold (like in previous years).
    For sure
    In the movie? Yes, is a 90mm stem.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Again, thank you very much for everything, I hope this is a good information package also to others conquesting Portugal by bike.

And you are right about the temperature, it will not harm me even if it is close to zero there...

Finally, here in the North, the air begins to warm up, so it's time to start hunting the lost biking condition...

Tkul, I will contact you closer to the trip ....
    Surfas, thanks for the video clips, they woke up my interest in doing a biking trip to Portugal.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    This summer I'm going to the region of Castanheira de Pera, where you have some great trails as well. I was there last year, but didn't bring my bike .

mtbr member
    Another video searching the trail in Sintra (Dimas, Humidos, Viuva, Fofinhos)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast